Huawei re-signs as Canberra Raiders major sponsor

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@MattDoran91 on Twitter

Canberra Raiders, currently backed by Chinese telco Huawei, making a major sponsorship announcement tomorrow morning outside Parliament House.

Huawei making a point? #auspol
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: Canberra Raiders making major sponsorship announcement tomorrow morning

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Mitsubishi Triton?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If Huawei is gone it's a shame. It's a big hole in revenue and hard to see that we would get another sponsor at that level.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Huawei expected to extend into an eighth season: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: June 12, 2019, 5:26 pm Huawei expected to extend into an eighth season: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
I've read it twice, no mention of a sponsorship announcement...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

greeneyed wrote: June 12, 2019, 5:26 pm Huawei expected to extend into an eighth season: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
Great news
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote: June 12, 2019, 5:36 pm
Third paragraph.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: June 12, 2019, 5:47 pm
Third paragraph.
Wait...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-PJ- wrote: June 12, 2019, 5:57 pm
Third paragraph.
Wait...
Did you make it past the headline this time?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

CheekyImage

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: June 12, 2019, 7:38 pm
-PJ- wrote: June 12, 2019, 5:57 pm
Third paragraph.
Wait...
Did you make it past the headline this time?
Yeah..I saw it. It was hidden.

So..

Huawei eh, how bout that ?
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

If nothing else, you have to admire their tenacity.

Banned from 5G on the enterprise-side, consumer business falling to pieces due to US trade restrictions, yet they're still willing to sponsor the Raiders. It's genuinely surprising.

On the other hand, Huawei have so much money that we're practically irrelevant. Sponsorship is a way to demonstrate they remain engaged in the market, even if the future is bleak.

How many people here would buy a non-Android Huawei phone with the company's own custom OS? I'm guessing not many.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Huawei has something like $100b annual turnover. From a $$ perspective the Raiders sponsorship is loose change. For public perception this is important for them to present a solid front given the recent hits they've taken.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Sterlk wrote: June 13, 2019, 8:53 am If nothing else, you have to admire their tenacity.

Banned from 5G on the enterprise-side, consumer business falling to pieces due to US trade restrictions, yet they're still willing to sponsor the Raiders. It's genuinely surprising.

On the other hand, Huawei have so much money that we're practically irrelevant. Sponsorship is a way to demonstrate they remain engaged in the market, even if the future is bleak.

How many people here would buy a non-Android Huawei phone with the company's own custom OS? I'm guessing not many.
True we are basically irrelevant money wise, probably just a single drop in their overseas marketing/PR budget.

But Huawei as a company have no choice right now but to double down and push on. If they pull back, downsize then they lose their moment, lose prestige and become an irrelevancy pretty quick and the next tech media company step in. Or they try to hold the line and see if they can ride this out/overcome it and stay a market leader in China and trust China's rise to get them another shot.

There's also no such thing asa private company in China, Huawei are as much an arm of China's govt as anything else, who are playing out a massive trade/IP war with the West right now and just about have Europe on their side with regard t allowing Huawei t build and operate, with only the USA blocking them and England wavering.

We don't really matter but our blocking them from infrastructure is a thorn in their side being used now as an example by the USA to hold up to Europe/England/further blocking in the USA. So Huawei is still trying to play the nice guy who is friendly and can be trusted to put up our 5g infrastucture etc - punishing Australia isn't really going to be a good look right now- that can wait until the bigger game has been played out if it is needed.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Huawei re-signs as Canberra Raiders major sponsor

Post by greeneyed »

Huawei re-signs as major sponsor of the Canberra Raiders

In a sign of its long-term commitment to the Australian market Huawei Australia has signed a new two year contract to continue as major sponsor of the Canberra Raiders to the end of 2021

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/06 ... a-raiders/

Huawei re-signs as major sponsor for Canberra Raiders

New deal will take our partnership all the way to 2021 – ten seasons of NRL football!

In a sign of its long-term commitment to the Australian market Huawei Australia has signed a new two year contract to continue as major sponsor of the Canberra Raiders of the National Rugby League (NRL).

The new deal will run to the end of the 2021 NRL season and will take our partnership with the Raiders to the ten season mark – making it easily one of the longest running commercial partnerships in professional Australian sports.

As part of the deal Huawei will also take over the naming rights of the Canberra Districts Rugby League (CDRL) Centre in Braddon, which will become the future Headquarters of the Canberra Raiders.

First signed in 2012 the Raiders sponsorship was Huawei’s first major sports sponsorship anywhere in the world and the long running partnership has been extremely beneficial to both parties as well as to a number of high-profile good causes.

Working together the two parties have raised over $200,000 for charities including Tour de Cure, Soldier On, Bowel Cancer Australia and the Ricky Stuart Foundation.

In addition, our sponsorship of the Raiders has helped them fund their grassroots Rugby League programs for young players and their own community programs.

John Lord, Chairman of Huawei Australia, said:

“This year Huawei is celebrating our 15th year of operating in Australia and the extension of our major sponsorship deal with the Canberra Raiders is a sign of our deep commitment to long-term engagement in the Australian market.

“Although the last year has been a challenging one for us the Raiders have stuck by us as loyal friends and partners and we deeply appreciate their support.

“Our partnership with the Raiders has been hugely beneficial to both parties and we look forward to the next two years with great excitement at the opportunities that lie ahead for both of us.”

Don Furner, CEO of the Canberra Raiders, said:

“The Raiders are extremely proud to announce Huawei has signed on as our major sponsor for another two years – taking our partnership to ten seasons, our longest ever major sponsorship”

“We have achieved a huge amount from our partnership with Huawei and this latest deal presents us with the opportunity to take our partnership to new levels over the next two seasons.

“This relationship is more than just a logo on a jersey, we continue to work with Huawei on a number of very important community initiatives and fundraising opportunities for very worthwhile causes. Additionally, their product inclusions in our new CDRL Centre allow us to be at the forefront of the newest and best technology.”

Huawei media release

Canberra Raiders re-sign major sponsor Huawei for $1m

The Canberra Raiders and Huawei are unconcerned about the world-wide controversy surrounding the technology company and have signed on for another two years.

"Their name is so well known because of all [the controversy]. We're not there for that," Raiders chief executive Furner said. "Are we worried about the data that comes out of the back of the GPS of the players that goes into the tablet that Ricky looks at on game day?

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/raiders-hua ... onsor-deal
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

That's great news
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Well done Donny.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Good news considering current media witch hunt

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

"Additionally, their product inclusions in our new CDRL Centre allow us to be at the forefront of the newest and best technology".

At least an NRL club doesn't have any secrets China would consider worth stealing. :lol:
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Sterlk wrote: June 13, 2019, 2:08 pm "Additionally, their product inclusions in our new CDRL Centre allow us to be at the forefront of the newest and best technology".

At least an NRL club doesn't have any secrets China would consider worth stealing. :lol:
I don't think it was a coincidence Chinese Warships arrived in Sydney Harbour the same day Hudson Young received his 5 game suspension

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Huawei to extend its Censorship by 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Sid wrote:
Sterlk wrote: June 13, 2019, 2:08 pm "Additionally, their product inclusions in our new CDRL Centre allow us to be at the forefront of the newest and best technology".

I don't think it was a coincidence Chinese Warships arrived in Sydney Harbour the same day Hudson Young received his 5 game suspension
Insight of the year Sid.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

So when's Huawei gunna help in recruitment and retention..

I bet they got plenty of brown paper bags.

Nobody else needs to know..

We can have "Huawei..shhh..it's a secret" on our jerseys.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

-PJ- wrote: June 13, 2019, 3:32 pm So when's Huawei gunna help in recruitment and retention..

I prefer "It's Huawei or the Highway"

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Sid wrote: June 13, 2019, 3:34 pm
-PJ- wrote: June 13, 2019, 3:32 pm So when's Huawei gunna help in recruitment and retention..

I like it Sid, I like it...
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Sid wrote:

I like “Who are we? Huawei!”

**Edit** D’oh, I just realised I said the same thing as Peej
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Bit disappointed with the figure - wasn't the yearly value of the last deal the same?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Sterlk wrote:If nothing else, you have to admire their tenacity.

I'll never buy Huawei

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

afgtnk wrote:Bit disappointed with the figure - wasn't the yearly value of the last deal the same?
Original deal was worth 850 a season, can't find anything about the more recent ones though

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

-TW- wrote:
afgtnk wrote:Bit disappointed with the figure - wasn't the yearly value of the last deal the same?
Original deal was worth 850 a season, can't find anything about the more recent ones though

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Donny thinking a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

They also sponsor Wellington in the A-League and Im sure there's an AFL club as well.

And that's just in Orstraliiiiia..
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

afgtnk wrote: June 13, 2019, 4:37 pm Bit disappointed with the figure - wasn't the yearly value of the last deal the same?
Yeah. I don't think sponsorships have grown much since the last deal though.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

John Lord: We're proud to continue with the Raiders: Huawei Australia Chairman John Lord is pleased that the partnership of Huawei Australia and the Canberra Raiders is set to continue for another two years after the Raider's sponsorship with their major partner was extended for another two years: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/06 ... e-raiders/

Don Furner proud to continue partnership with Huawei: Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner couldn't hide his excitement after announcing that the Club would extend it's partnership with Huawei Australia: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/06 ... th-huawei/
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Hearing on the grapevine we had another potential sponsor offering a better deal but for some odd reason our CEO wouldn’t sign up to having Don’s Smallgoods across the front of our jumper???
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’m still annoyed we didn’t go with Sun Doo Chinese restaurant Duffy or the excellent Jordos Chop Shop Wanniassa.