Canberra Raiders forward Hudson Young takes early plea, will miss five matches

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Re: Canberra Raiders forward Hudson Young takes early plea, will miss five matches

Post by edwahu »

gergreg wrote: June 11, 2019, 7:19 pm
edwahu wrote:Here's the other angle of Young

https://streamable.com/7uc92
Are you able to also upload the most recent one from McGuire? I honestly think it's comparable.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 0ddf339e27
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders forward Hudson Young takes early plea, will miss five matches

Post by greeneyed »

Paul Crawley on NRL 360 says the integrity of the MRC is “shot to pieces” and are applying double standards.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

edwahu wrote: June 11, 2019, 7:37 pm

Are you able to also upload the most recent one from McGuire? I honestly think it's comparable.

From looking at the 2 incidents, I’d say the intent was comparable, but Young got a better dig.

Here’s the bit that really pisses me off - I HATE this kind of crap in the game. But if you are a young ‘hard man’ forward coming into grade, and rep players use this kind of tactic without any real sanction, why would you not use it? The example is set, and reaffirmed in both of the McGuire incidents.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Surely the NRL is taking the piss?
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

The Walker one is definitely the lesser of the two McGuire incidents. The Munster one was deplorable and the equal of Young.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

greeneyed wrote: June 11, 2019, 7:53 pm Paul Crawley on NRL 360 says the integrity of the MRC is “shot to pieces” and are applying double standards.
He is absolutely correct.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Wiki Special wrote: June 11, 2019, 8:10 pm The Walker one is definitely the lesser of the two McGuire incidents. The Munster one was deplorable and the equal of Young.
Yeah, agree on this. They argued there is no footage but you see his finger in his eye.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Seems to be getting plenty of attention in the media and rightly so.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

It's pretty indefensible.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Coastalraider wrote: June 11, 2019, 8:04 pm
edwahu wrote: June 11, 2019, 7:37 pm

From looking at the 2 incidents, I’d say the intent was comparable, but Young got a better dig.

Here’s the bit that really pisses me off - I HATE this kind of crap in the game. But if you are a young ‘hard man’ forward coming into grade, and rep players use this kind of tactic without any real sanction, why would you not use it? The example is set, and reaffirmed in both of the McGuire incidents.
100%

This should should be suspensions on Young’s level
If not more
You have to get this **** out ASAP
Hard to do that when the MRC are offering up such wildly inconsistent gradings
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Wiki Special wrote: June 11, 2019, 8:10 pm The Walker one is definitely the lesser of the two McGuire incidents. The Munster one was deplorable and the equal of Young.
Agree. Walker incident was definitely a lower grade than Young's. You could argue they got that one right. It's McGuire's earlier incident on Munster that was the problem. It was virtually identical to Young's incident yet it was 2 grades lower charge.

But what does the MRC do? Give McGuire a higher grade charge than is justified for the latest one because they got the earlier one wrong?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

If a player comes in with a swinging arm/high shot, and knocks a bloke out, should he be charged greater than if he did exactly the same and the player was abel to play on?? Intent is the same, risk is the same, result is different.

Thats essentially the argument - I believe form watching those 2 incidents of Young vs McGuire#2 that the intent was the same, but Young 'found the hole' faster than McGuire. McGuire had a decent root around looking for it, making it look more like a face rub, but he was definitely looking for the eye, he just didnt find it as well.

What is mind boggling is that he is stupid enough to keep doing it - not only after his Munster incident, but within a short space of time after that was re-highlighted in comparison to the Young charge. What an absolute muppet.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

It will be interesting to see what Burgess cops for his effort last night. Referred straight to the judiciary so could be a very long suspension given his form.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Coastalraider wrote: June 12, 2019, 10:54 am If a player comes in with a swinging arm/high shot, and knocks a bloke out, should he be charged greater than if he did exactly the same and the player was abel to play on?? Intent is the same, risk is the same, result is different.
I've always been of the belief that you absolutely should be suspended for longer based on the damage you cause your opponent.

Just like if I'm drink driving and I hit somebody in my car, if I accidentally kill somebody I'm in a LOT more trouble than if I just dent up their car, so too should you be suspended for longer if you cause a serious injury to another player.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

The charges should be broken down to their basic component parts. Swinging arm, gouge, raised elbow, lifting tackle etc all should have a basic minimum sentence and after that is determined a second discussion should be held around the physical effects of the foul play and its impact on the affected player and his/her club and an appropriate additional penalty imposed.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Cranky Old Man wrote: June 28, 2019, 2:58 pm The charges should be broken down to their basic component parts. Swinging arm, gouge, raised elbow, lifting tackle etc all should have a basic minimum sentence and after that is determined a second discussion should be held around the physical effects of the foul play and its impact on the affected player and his/her club and an appropriate additional penalty imposed.
Yep, I agree with that 100%.

Spot on, as always, Cranky.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Cranky Old Man wrote: June 28, 2019, 2:58 pm The charges should be broken down to their basic component parts. Swinging arm, gouge, raised elbow, lifting tackle etc all should have a basic minimum sentence and after that is determined a second discussion should be held around the physical effects of the foul play and its impact on the affected player and his/her club and an appropriate additional penalty imposed.
I think you still need a grading based on careless, reckless or intentional.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

G'day Edwahu. I see and acknowledge your point, and I certainly don't reject it, but I wonder whether it would be better to just grade them once, happened or didn't happen, as guesses as to intent are just that, guesses. The NRL judiciary has had a shaky reputation for judgement for decades and I think that the fewer options available to them to be subjected to pressure from press, clubs, vested interests the better.
Judge on the most basic of facts, happen / didn't happen, sentence on that plus priors for similar offences plus injurious effects.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Yeah, I think intent and grading on careless, reckless, etc. should matter more than the injury sustained by the player. As an example, last year we played Penrith and during the game Rapana and Mansour (I think) were contesting a Panthers attacking kick towards the sideline. Rapana accidentally hit Mansour in the face with his elbow causing bleeding. He was penalised (which was ridiculous). If Mansour ended up with a broken jaw and missed 6 months of football it would be ridiculous to suspend Rapana because of an accidental football injury. It is a collision sport, injuries will happen.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

If it's a penalty, then it's illegal play, if somebody ends up out for the season for it you should get suspended more harshly.

Conversely, if it's not a penalty, it's not illegal play, it's an accident, if someone gets injured it's just bad luck, there shouldn't be a suspension no matter the severity of the injury. Accidents happen, but if you cause them they're not accidents.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Agree with that Rickman. The Burgess on Farah incident was simply disgusting. I spoke with a bloke who has supported the Rabbitohs for more than 50 years and he wants him out for the season. I would go another step in the way the game is currently referee'd though. I'd get rid of the 'facial'. The game has removed the punch and the shoulder charge. I don't know of many league fans who like to see 'facials'. Immediate penalty for hands on the face. Do it again it is sin bin time. Do it a third time and 'your off'.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

RedRaider wrote:Agree with that Rickman. The Burgess on Farah incident was simply disgusting. I spoke with a bloke who has supported the Rabbitohs for more than 50 years and he wants him out for the season. I would go another step in the way the game is currently referee'd though. I'd get rid of the 'facial'. The game has removed the punch and the shoulder charge. I don't know of many league fans who like to see 'facials'. Immediate penalty for hands on the face. Do it again it is sin bin time. Do it a third time and 'your off'.
I agree 100%, Red. There’s absolutely no reason at all to be touching another player’s face.

That’s the logical next step to cleaning up the game
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

The Rickman wrote: June 28, 2019, 4:42 pm If it's a penalty, then it's illegal play, if somebody ends up out for the season for it you should get suspended more harshly.

Conversely, if it's not a penalty, it's not illegal play, it's an accident, if someone gets injured it's just bad luck, there shouldn't be a suspension no matter the severity of the injury. Accidents happen, but if you cause them they're not accidents.
In theory but that is very reliant on the refs getting it right which isn't always the case. Sometimes players are penalised on suspicion because a player got injured.

If you look back at the Roosters game from early in the season the Raiders player was penalised for a crusher tackler because the attacking players put his head in a bad position trying to get a quick play of the ball and got injured. It was clearly accidental and rightfully didn't go to the judiciary despite being put on report.

Your black and white approach would have seen him suspended for something that was completely accidental and unavoidable.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Rickman wrote:
RedRaider wrote:Agree with that Rickman. The Burgess on Farah incident was simply disgusting. I spoke with a bloke who has supported the Rabbitohs for more than 50 years and he wants him out for the season. I would go another step in the way the game is currently referee'd though. I'd get rid of the 'facial'. The game has removed the punch and the shoulder charge. I don't know of many league fans who like to see 'facials'. Immediate penalty for hands on the face. Do it again it is sin bin time. Do it a third time and 'your off'.
I agree 100%, Red. There’s absolutely no reason at all to be touching another player’s face.

That’s the logical next step to cleaning up the game
I agree with this, but can you imagine the pissing and moaning about how the game has gotten soft?

Its interesting how actions have unexpected consequences. Players, particularly smaller players, are more inclined to be niggly little grubs these days, given that they are unlikely to have their nose rearranged for the effort. I'm not saying that we should bring back the biff, but it's exclusion has bought unexpected problems.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Raidersteve wrote: June 29, 2019, 6:11 am
The Rickman wrote: June 28, 2019, 4:42 pm If it's a penalty, then it's illegal play, if somebody ends up out for the season for it you should get suspended more harshly.

In theory but that is very reliant on the refs getting it right which isn't always the case. Sometimes players are penalised on suspicion because a player got injured.

If you look back at the Roosters game from early in the season the Raiders player was penalised for a crusher tackler because the attacking players put his head in a bad position trying to get a quick play of the ball and got injured. It was clearly accidental and rightfully didn't go to the judiciary despite being put on report.

Your black and white approach would have seen him suspended for something that was completely accidental and unavoidable.
This sounds like a discussion about the alex mckinnon tackle
Dont delete this GE
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

You know it's bad when even the Souths fans are saying they want him gone for the year.

Frankly I think it should be at least double Hudson's suspension, which would be 10 weeks.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Canberra Raiders forward Hudson Young takes early plea, will miss five matches

Post by The Nickman »

Raidersteve wrote:

Not true at all, as players can still be charged after the fact without the original penalty being blown

That’s what the match review committee and the judiciary are for

Whether the referee gets it right or wrong on the night is absolutely irrelevant to the point I was making. In fact all that affects is the next five minutes of the game