Dear Raiders Management, please buy a half before June 30

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Re: Dear Raiders Management, please buy a half before June 30

Post by hobbsy »

Lucky wrote: June 9, 2019, 8:03 pm Was watching ESL last night, why on earth did he let Austin go??? Hes absolutely killing it over there. Hes scored 18 tries in 19 games.... why couldnt he do that while he was with us :rant
Great move for everyone involved. Both sides are doing far better for it.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Lucky wrote:Was watching ESL last night, why on earth did he let Austin go??? Hes absolutely killing it over there. Hes scored 18 tries in 19 games.... why couldnt he do that while he was with us :rant
A) ESL defence is garbage
B) his attitude got the better of him, note Ricky saying he's got a more mature group this year..

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

ESL is great for attacking, tackle beating ball runners.

NRL has far fewer weak tacklers than ESL. England is definitely suited for Blake Austin style players.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Lucky wrote:Was watching ESL last night, why on earth did he let Austin go??? Hes absolutely killing it over there. Hes scored 18 tries in 19 games.... why couldnt he do that while he was with us :rant
You’re absolutely kidding, right?
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

The Rickman wrote: June 9, 2019, 10:42 pm
You’re absolutely kidding, right?
Not at all. Why is ESL defence so bad then? I cant tell the difference really.... are aussies just stronger than the poms?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Watch it and you'll see

There's less wrestle which means the game is faster, more fatigue, poorer defence

Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

-TW- wrote: June 9, 2019, 11:37 pm Watch it and you'll see

There's less wrestle which means the game is faster, more fatigue, poorer defence

Fair enough.... no Storm to slow the play down, I get it now :P
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Every time I watch ESL highlights I’m left aghast at the structural integrity of the Defence

It’s the perfect environment for someone like Blake Austin
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

While Austin was no doubt one of the most genuine, selfless blokes off the field, he was possibly one of the most selfish on the field... never passed, avoided putting his body on the line in defence etc. I reckon there was more to the BJ incident then was made out. Both players were playing their best football after the split. Can't be coincidence
christoraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by christoraider »

He can’t tackle that’s why , notice what has happened to our defence since he left ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

I think Austin was a great attacking player......like how you play touch... but pretty much un coachable. Sort of bloke that would try a chip and chase coming out of your own end with 3 minutes to go when your up by 2! I think that’s super league to a tee! Hence why i am very surprised everyone is so confident G Williams is the answer. Players like Johnson, Moylan and Milford would cut super league in half. Raiders need someone that a) can hold there edge in defence b) execute a game plan c) can ice a finish d) can give jack the ball when he is set and see’s an opportunity. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Lucky wrote: June 9, 2019, 8:03 pm Was watching ESL last night, why on earth did he let Austin go??? Hes absolutely killing it over there. Hes scored 18 tries in 19 games.... why couldnt he do that while he was with us :rant
I don't do this often, but you're a dead set muppet.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31901&p=1508296&hil ... n#p1508296

Make up your mind or stop taking the piss.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on June 10, 2019, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EVH
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by EVH »

Austin had a one purple patch for us in 2015 and that’s about it as far as I’m concerned. Even before he busted his shoulder against Penrith towards the end of the year, for a few games he was starting to play a bit suss. After that injury he bulked up and lost allot of this agility which was all he had really, no strings to his bow besides that. My god that 2015 patch was exciting though, that triple against the Knights in 15 minutes, haha, immm, Knights were basically a NSW cup side back then. Type of player like that can go from being awful in the NRL last year to being The Man of Steel in ESL the next sais allot about the difference in the two games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah, might as well jump (Jump!) Might as well jump Go ahead an' jump (jump!) Go ahead and jump Ow oh, hey you! Who said that?
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Austin was an introvert, didn’t fit the culture of the club. No I in team

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I also have a solution for the rest of the year. Hodgson to no. 7, Havilii at 9 and we keep Starling at 14. He adds a bit of zip to the team and would be a good option to replace Havilii at the 60 min mark when the forwards begin to tire

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

LastRaider wrote: June 10, 2019, 3:15 pm Austin was an introvert, didn’t fit the culture of the club. No I in team

An introvert like Papalii, Tapine and Nicoll-Klockstad are? :lol:

Yeah, I'm not sure that particular personality trait has anything to do with it just quietly. Introverts aren't simply selfish people! I suggest you look up what it actually means.

There are plenty of introverts in this team who are at the absolute centre of our success as a club. I don't think being an introvert in and of itself was Austin's issue.