Canberra Raiders forward Hudson Young takes early plea, will miss five matches

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders forward Hudson Young takes early plea, will miss five matches

Post by RedRaider »

It's a demonstrated pattern of behavior that the Young bloke needs to eliminate from his game. We have enough of an injury list, without losing players to dumb niggle tactics. I'm sure Sticky and some in the leadership group would have spoken to him about his actions. It's a selfish play that leads to penalties for which the whole side has to concede either territory or points.
T_R
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders forward Hudson Young takes early plea, will miss five matches

Post by T_R »

The Rickman wrote:
dubby wrote: June 4, 2019, 3:43 pm
The Rickman wrote:Like I said, dubs is old-school. I reckon he would've been pretty hard back in the day and would've given just as much as he got... mouthfuls, facials, you name it. The game has changed though these days, and for the better IMO.
Whoever gave me crap, I gave it back. Didn't like it but.

I enjoyed hitting old mate in a quality tackle more than grubby play. Crowd did, too

Give me a Papalii hit than a Cam Smith dog act any day

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Obviously you'd rather give it then receive it though out there. Even if you have to hit 'em from behind.
Stop it

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Jesus, welcome to weeks ago, TR

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

The Rickman wrote: June 8, 2019, 12:54 pm Jesus, welcome to weeks ago, TR

The greatest of gh days
Dont delete this GE
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Rickman wrote:Jesus, welcome to weeks ago, TR

Well, stop it weeks ago, then.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

RedRaider wrote:It's a demonstrated pattern of behavior that the Young bloke needs to eliminate from his game. We have enough of an injury list, without losing players to dumb niggle tactics. I'm sure Sticky and some in the leadership group would have spoken to him about his actions. It's a selfish play that leads to penalties for which the whole side has to concede either territory or points.
Im all for getting intimidation etc in the game but if you think you can get away with it in NRL with 10 camera angles your kidding. Agree 100% with your comments. Impact to the team is key and he eventually becomes a risk if it continues. Obviously with prior similar offences he needs an attitude adjustment. Hopefully with his backside in the 4th row he gets it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Josh McGuire cops whopping $4,500 fine for another grubby act

North Queensland star Josh McGuire appears likely to pay the biggest fine since monetary penalties were introduced in the NRL after another contrary conduct charge. Walker was tackled on the fifth play when McGuire came in as a third defender and raked his hand across the face of the Sea Eagles centre.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 39b73580c3

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

taking the mickey
Edrick The Entertainer
Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Staurt

Post by Goldcoast Raider »

Absolute **** joke
Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Staurt

Post by Goldcoast Raider »

NRL are bloody ass clowns
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

That is outrageous! The blokes been done twice in one year and only has one eye himself- maybe he’s trying to grab a second??

This is where NRL lets itself down. Can’t take righteous stands on Folau, and players facing the courts then show yourself up to have no consistency or values because you want McGuire in Origin.

Joke!!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It's right about now that Rickman and his goons tell us all that the NRL doesn't have their favourite players or teams.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

That is utterly disgusting.

How can the NRL even justify this?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Raider47 wrote: June 9, 2019, 9:48 pm That is utterly disgusting.

How can the NRL even justify this?
They just won't justify it.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

We only ask for something that resembles consistency from the charging committee. I don’t expect perfection.

I’m more concerned this year about the people doing the gradings than the actual judiciary committee.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Unbelievable
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

This McGuire situation is utterly absurd. Don Furner Jr should be out in the media this week big time putting the blow torch on this.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I’m still shaking my head about this one... what has the NRL cited as the difference? Surely gouging is gouging but has the NRL suggested McGuire’s was less sever or accidental? I would have thought it’s a black or white offence. 1. You have accidentally poked someone in the eye - no offence, no penalty. 2. You have eye gouged or attempted to eye gouge cop a standard hefty penalty that will remove this behaviour from the game.

Where is the middle ground? You only dug in to the first knuckle cop a fine, you detached his retina take 5 weeks?

Can the NRL revisit the McGuire decision to regain credibility?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PigRickman wrote: June 10, 2019, 7:37 am This McGuire situation is utterly absurd. Don Furner Jr should be out in the media this week big time putting the blow torch on this.
But the NRL never gives favourable treatment to big name players or clubs, while treating the Raiders harshly. Surely there's nothing to see here?!
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Macguire was charged with contrary conduct and not dangerous contact to the eyes. Even though it clearly states in the rules what he did is the latter charge and that's how the rule was applied with Young. It's also very clear in the rules that no official complaint is needed, which I am sure is the excuse that will be used.

I expect that we won't rock the boat as we seem to be taking a different tack with the NRL, but this is a glaringly bad one.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Young deserved his 5 weeks. McGuire deserves more for his repeat offences.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

They probably should scale the fines as a % of their contracts as well.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

edwahu wrote: June 10, 2019, 8:40 am Macguire was charged with contrary conduct and not dangerous contact to the eyes. Even though it clearly states in the rules what he did is the latter charge and that's how the rule was applied with Young. It's also very clear in the rules that no official complaint is needed, which I am sure is the excuse that will be used.

I expect that we won't rock the boat as we seem to be taking a different tack with the NRL, but this is a glaringly bad one.
Isn’t that a bit like being half pregnant? If he didn’t gouge then why the contrary conduct - if they are saying it’s not a gouge then he’s done nothing wrong in my book and he should be outraged by the fine. The thing is he did gouge so it needs to be a dangerous contact. This is a very bad look for the NRL.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I can tell you what the NRL's response will be... there is no evidence on the latest footage that McGuire came in contact with the eyes... it was just a "facial". The trouble is... the NRL came down hard on Hudson Young for a "facial", I'm not certain he came in contact with eyes either, on the video. McGuire should have spent time on the sidelines earlier in the year, and for a repeat offence... surely this is worth at least some time on the sidelines? Is the NRL serious about this or not?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Billy Walker wrote: June 10, 2019, 8:56 am
edwahu wrote: June 10, 2019, 8:40 am Macguire was charged with contrary conduct and not dangerous contact to the eyes. Even though it clearly states in the rules what he did is the latter charge and that's how the rule was applied with Young. It's also very clear in the rules that no official complaint is needed, which I am sure is the excuse that will be used.

Isn’t that a bit like being half pregnant? If he didn’t gouge then why the contrary conduct - if they are saying it’s not a gouge then he’s done nothing wrong in my book and he should be outraged by the fine. The thing is he did gouge so it needs to be a dangerous contact. This is a very bad look for the NRL.
FWIW there is no actual gouge charge. There is just a charge that the player made dangerous contact with the eyes. This can be anything as long as contact with the eyes is made, from a full on gouge, or more of a rubbing and scraping action like this one and Young appeared to do. It can also be intentional or unintentional.

In this case, they are saying Maguire didn't even make dangerous contact with the eyes. So to answer your question the charge of contrary conduct is for rubbing his face and eye area and somehow avoiding his eyes.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

gergreg wrote: June 9, 2019, 8:05 pm It's right about now that Rickman and his goons tell us all that the NRL doesn't have their favourite players or teams.
I had a run in with The Rickman's goons once. I've been towing the line since. :(
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Grün Maschine »

I'm surprised simonssen didn't get charged for his eye gouge on benji
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Wiki Special wrote:Young deserved his 5 weeks. McGuire deserves more for his repeat offences.
Correct!

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: June 10, 2019, 8:16 am
PigRickman wrote: June 10, 2019, 7:37 am This McGuire situation is utterly absurd. Don Furner Jr should be out in the media this week big time putting the blow torch on this.
But the NRL never gives favourable treatment to big name players or clubs, while treating the Raiders harshly. Surely there's nothing to see here?!

The cowboys aren’t a big club, chief
The Townsville population is dwarfed by canberra’s

So the question needs to be asked... why are the nrl trying to so hard to advantage small markets?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PigRickman wrote: June 10, 2019, 10:44 am
greeneyed wrote: June 10, 2019, 8:16 am

The cowboys aren’t a big club, chief
The Townsville population is dwarfed by canberra’s

So the question needs to be asked... why are the nrl trying to so hard to advantage small markets?
Josh McGuire is a big name player, no?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

To the extent that all rep players are, but not especially so, no.
Not sure anyone but RL fans would be aware of who he is. Especially now he’s been moved on to a market smaller than ours.

**** half the RL community online don’t even know if it’s McGuire or Maguire so na I don’t think he’s a needle moving name in RL circles
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I almost fully support GEs agenda here. The only thing holding me back is he would probably be the first to squeal about NSW bias if McGuire was suspended for an Origin game.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Origin conspiracy? Legends question why Maroons star wasn’t rubbed out

League legend Mark Carroll believes “100 per cent” the NRL chose not to suspend Cowboys enforcer Josh McGuire simply because he’s an Origin player, and so as not to harm his availability for game two.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state- ... 23f733dea9

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: June 10, 2019, 11:34 am I almost fully support GEs agenda here. The only thing holding me back is he would probably be the first to squeal about NSW bias if McGuire was suspended for an Origin game.

Oh he would. And nsw fans who agree with his positions on this stuff routinely find themselves opposing him at origin time calling him biased. And him back to them. Amazing what happens when people end up on the opposite sides of fandom.

Now there is a really obvious self reflection moment there and one MIGHT ask themselves if the level of bias changes at origin time, or just the posters POV/fandom have changed... but I wouldn’t waste much time on that ;)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: June 10, 2019, 11:34 am I almost fully support GEs agenda here. The only thing holding me back is he would probably be the first to squeal about NSW bias if McGuire was suspended for an Origin game.

Agenda? What agenda? I don't have an agenda. Just calling it as I see it. I've already pointed out I think McGuire deserves time on the sidelines, if the NRL was consistent. I was well aware which State he plays for, and it is Origin time.