Dear Raiders Management, please buy a half before June 30

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Dear Raiders Management, please buy a half before June 30

Post by BadnMean »

Beejay wrote: June 8, 2019, 8:37 am Sezer kicked it dead twice in this game.
But then he defends so good (for a half), and then comes up with some magic tonight.
He plays with my heart
Against better teams those two dead kicks can really hurt. And those leg grubbers x2. Oof.

Last night Sezer refused to disappear and got stuck into tackling (no surprise, he's good at that) and running the ball (like he hasn't done in his poor periods) and generally putting his hand up to make a difference. And he did. Kudos.

I'd love his short kicking game to improve or take a step back to just his chips across (he's good at those) and his medium range kicking and Jack and Hodgo do most of the grubbing once Hodgo is back. Or Bateman! He'll need to improve those grubbers or just step back from that play as often.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Brew wrote:Forgetting about last night for a second, who would you even suggest we buy before June 30? Do you think quality halves are just sitting there waiting to be purchased.
There is a lack of quality halves in the NRL, let alone ones available to purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
I saw someone mention Reynolds, the half who couldn’t even make the NRL team that we flogged last night.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

BJ wrote:
Brew wrote:Forgetting about last night for a second, who would you even suggest we buy before June 30? Do you think quality halves are just sitting there waiting to be purchased.
There is a lack of quality halves in the NRL, let alone ones available to purchase.

I saw someone mention Reynolds, the half who couldn’t even make the NRL team that we flogged last night.
And James Maloney, the most penalised player in the whole comp, also bloke who has missed the most tackles, to replace Sam Williams cause his defence sucks..

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

christoraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by christoraider »

Wow , some people are hard to please . Once you mentioned Maloney or Reynolds I had a chuckle . Reynolds can’t get a start at tigers, can’t tackle and is injury prone . The internet is really sad sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote:
But then he defends so good (for a half), and then comes up with some magic tonight.
He plays with my heart
Against better teams those two dead kicks can really hurt. And those leg grubbers x2. Oof.

Last night Sezer refused to disappear and got stuck into tackling (no surprise, he's good at that) and running the ball (like he hasn't done in his poor periods) and generally putting his hand up to make a difference. And he did. Kudos.

I'd love his short kicking game to improve or take a step back to just his chips across (he's good at those) and his medium range kicking and Jack and Hodgo do most of the grubbing once Hodgo is back. Or Bateman! He'll need to improve those grubbers or just step back from that play as often.
I believe all those things will improve once he gets some time on the field this year.

It’s laughable that people are still holding 2017 and 18 form when the whole team were playing like busted **** over Sezer’s head like he’s the only one responsible for it.

Fact of the matter is, he’s played barely any games in first grade this season, and apart from the Storm game he’s looked quite good, and we’ve won every game he’s been a part of.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Sezer’s floor and ceiling are both higher than Williams - and that should be all there is to say in regards to who gets the start from here on in.

I think Sezer has responded well to his dropping. He’s come back sharper than he left
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

The Rickman wrote: June 8, 2019, 2:13 pm
BadnMean wrote:
He plays with my heart

I believe all those things will improve once he gets some time on the field this year.

It’s laughable that people are still holding 2017 and 18 form when the whole team were playing like busted **** over Sezer’s head like he’s the only one responsible for it.

Fact of the matter is, he’s played barely any games in first grade this season, and apart from the Storm game he’s looked quite good, and we’ve won every game he’s been a part of.
Hmm I don't think it's laughable. I think I made a very fair assessment of his kicking game. Considering his first grubber kicks in each game back have gone way dead for 7 tackle sets I DO think his history of being poor in that dept is reasonable to bring up as it is a historical area of concern that so far is showing no improvement.

I didn't call for his dropping- I didn't invent or harshly judge those 4 kicks mentioned. I think it's fair, given the history.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Rickmando wrote:Sezer’s floor and ceiling are both higher than Williams - and that should be all there is to say in regards to who gets the start from here on in.

I think Sezer has responded well to his dropping. He’s come back sharper than he left
To be fair, when he got “dropped” he’d played two games, one a 21 point Round 1 shutout of the Titans and the other a loss to the Melbourne Storm.

Pretty sure Williams couldn’t have done much better in either game

It’s a complete myth that this forum seems to be perpetuating that he’s been poor this season, and it’s based on one game against the Storm
Last edited by The Nickman on June 8, 2019, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote:
The Rickman wrote: June 8, 2019, 2:13 pm
BadnMean wrote: Against better teams those two dead kicks can really hurt. And those leg grubbers x2. Oof.

Hmm I don't think it's laughable. I think I made a very fair assessment of his kicking game. Considering his first grubber kicks in each game back have gone way dead for 7 tackle sets I DO think his history of being poor in that dept is reasonable to bring up as it is a historical area of concern that so far is showing no improvement.

I didn't call for his dropping- I didn't invent or harshly judge those 4 kicks mentioned. I think it's fair, given the history.
Apologies BnM, I wasn’t quoting you to suggest you said any of those things. I was just responding to your comment hoping his short kicking game improves.

Only my first line relates to your post, although I can see the confusion
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The Rickman wrote: It’s a complete myth that this forum seems to be perpetuating that he’s been poor this season, and it’s based on one game against the Storm
And his trial form, and his Mounties form...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Has his Mounties form really been that bad? I haven’t seen a single game of Mounties, but from what I’ve heard he’s been in the thick of everything while back there.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Sorry to base my judgment on what I’ve seen, but last night was the best game a Raiders halfback has had this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Ok, if Williams from England could be available to make it this season, would you happily see him become no. 7 for the rest of the season? Do you think he would be an improvement?

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

LastRaider wrote:Ok, if Williams from England could be available to make it this season, would you happily see him become no. 7 for the rest of the season? Do you think he would be an improvement?

I’ve never seen him play, so I can’t make a call.

In that situation I would be happy to defer to the coaching staff until I’ve seen him go around for a month or so.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

The Rickman wrote:
LastRaider wrote:Ok, if Williams from England could be available to make it this season, would you happily see him become no. 7 for the rest of the season? Do you think he would be an improvement?

I’ve never seen him play, so I can’t make a call.

In that situation I would be happy to defer to the coaching staff until I’ve seen him go around for a month or so.
The answer is Yes Rickman. He is the leading half in the Super-league competition and is an international player.

He would walk in to no. 7 and make us a better team.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Ok cool, let’s play him next week over Sezer
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

The Rickman wrote: June 8, 2019, 2:20 pm

Only my first line relates to your post, although I can see the confusion
aha. :thumbsup
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

The Rickman wrote: June 8, 2019, 2:18 pm
Rickmando wrote:Sezer’s floor and ceiling are both higher than Williams - and that should be all there is to say in regards to who gets the start from here on in.

To be fair, when he got “dropped” he’d played two games, one a 21 point Round 1 shutout of the Titans and the other a loss to the Melbourne Storm.

It’s a complete myth that this forum seems to be perpetuating that he’s been poor this season, and it’s based on one game against the Storm
What about the past 2 seasons?

The thing about Sezer is he has never shown an ability in green to ask questions of quality opposition defence. Williams had a good shot and he has shown the same limitation. So then to me it comes down to a battle between Williams less error ridden kicking game and Sezer's D. Sezer gets the win for me, but I'm not about to jump on board with the idea he's a top flight half.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 8, 2019, 3:38 pm

What about the past 2 seasons?

The thing about Sezer is he has never shown an ability in green to ask questions of quality opposition defence. Williams had a good shot and he has shown the same limitation. So then to me it comes down to a battle between Williams less error ridden kicking game and Sezer's D. Sezer gets the win for me, but I'm not about to jump on board with the idea he's a top flight half.
Sezer was an above-average half for the Gold Coast. Even if he has no more improvement in him with experience - that’s his ceiling. Sam has never played at that level, certainly never for more than an odd game.

Given that Sezer is also MUCH better on the defensive side of the ball, I’ll take that as his floor too.

Both players, it must be said, can throw out some McCrone-esque moves... so give me the Sezer floor-ceiling combo in 2019 until we find a better option.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Do we honestly need two threads debating who is more **** out of Williams and Sezer? Surely one is enough?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

gergreg wrote: June 8, 2019, 5:14 pm Do we honestly need two threads debating who is more **** out of Williams and Sezer? Surely one is enough?

Clearly yes.

Hope this helps.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Rickmando wrote:
gergreg wrote: June 8, 2019, 5:14 pm Do we honestly need two threads debating who is more **** out of Williams and Sezer? Surely one is enough?

Clearly yes.

Hope this helps.
I say more Williams v Sezer threads

Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

-TW- wrote: June 8, 2019, 5:34 pm
Rickmando wrote:

Clearly yes.

Hope this helps.
I say more Williams v Sezer threads

I think we’ve barely scratched the surface on this one T-Dubya!! :thumbsup
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

LastRaider wrote: June 8, 2019, 12:43 pm
Timbo wrote:Did you seriously make this thread 45 minutes into an away game where we shut out the opposition and our halfback - his name is Sezer, by the way - was very very good?

Rest your head, mate.
Yep shut out a bottom 8 team who got beat 50+ by the Eels a few weeks ago. Sezer is the man to guide us to the flag.
....and you want to sign a half that can't even make that same bottom 8 team who got beat 50+ by the Eels a few weeks ago.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Bronco's won in 2006, their last Premiership with a catch and pass half back, cant even remember his name, they had Lockyer at 5/8 yes, but it can be done
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Kryptonite wrote: June 8, 2019, 6:53 pm Bronco's won in 2006, their last Premiership with a catch and pass half back, cant even remember his name, they had Lockyer at 5/8 yes, but it can be done
Shane Perry.

It helped that they had at least a dozen other internationals in their squad.
Last edited by Northern Raider on June 8, 2019, 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Why are people even still thinking about Sezer or Williams when we have a bloke who has moved in to the halves at the start of the year, has truckloads of natural ability, the potential to improve out of sight and has already earned an origin call up for how he's been going? Forget these chumps, the future is Jack.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

hobbsy wrote:Why are people even still thinking about Sezer or Williams when we have a bloke who has moved in to the halves at the start of the year, has truckloads of natural ability, the potential to improve out of sight and has already earned an origin call up for how he's been going? Forget these chumps, the future is Jack.
Until Jack has 3 **** games in a row then out will come the #sackjack thread. Most on here would boo santa claus.

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

hobbsy wrote: June 8, 2019, 7:10 pm Why are people even still thinking about Sezer or Williams when we have a bloke who has moved in to the halves at the start of the year, has truckloads of natural ability, the potential to improve out of sight and has already earned an origin call up for how he's been going? Forget these chumps, the future is Jack.
Someone's got to play halfback.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The forum doesn't do anything of the sort. Posters post individual views. And the views belong to those people, not the forum.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

edwahu wrote: June 8, 2019, 9:23 pm
hobbsy wrote: June 8, 2019, 7:10 pm Why are people even still thinking about Sezer or Williams when we have a bloke who has moved in to the halves at the start of the year, has truckloads of natural ability, the potential to improve out of sight and has already earned an origin call up for how he's been going? Forget these chumps, the future is Jack.
Someone's got to play halfback.
Yeah but it doesn't matter who. Put anyone there it's still gonna be Jacky boy who is leading us to the promised land
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

hobbsy for halfback...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

-PJ- wrote: June 9, 2019, 6:59 am hobbsy for halfback...
I'll come cheap too
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:

The forum doesn't do anything of the sort. Posters post individual views. And the views belong to those people, not the forum.
You would say that, you’re one of the largest proponents responsible for promoting the myth that everyone, from the nrl to the referees to the judiciary to the commentators to the ball balls, hates the raiders and then only reason for our lack of success is due to the man holding us down!
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Was watching ESL last night, why on earth did he let Austin go??? Hes absolutely killing it over there. Hes scored 18 tries in 19 games.... why couldnt he do that while he was with us :rant