Raiders fight off rivals to pinch electric sprint champ Xavier Savage from the Roosters

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Raiders fight off rivals to pinch electric sprint champ Xavier Savage from the Roosters

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders fight off rivals to pinch electric sprint champ Xavier Savage from the Sydney Roosters

Canberra are on the verge of snatching one of the fastest young talents in rugby league from the Roosters. Xavier Savage — a former Queensland sprint champion — is believed to be joining the Raiders on a lengthy deal in the coming days.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ca9b21b3f7
edwahu

Re: Raiders fight off rivals to pinch electric sprint champ Xavier Savage from the Roosters

Post by edwahu »

Interesting signing. It doesn't look like he actually played SG Ball for the Roosters but was in their extended squad, although as he is only 18 he may not have wanted to move down to Sydney yet.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: Raiders fight off rivals to pinch electric sprint champ Xavier Savage from the Roosters

Post by simo »

I hope sprintman kicks on. Interesting to see which posi he is groomed for
Dont delete this GE
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I’m always wary of these signings. Fast does not equal good (see: Joven Clarke, Nathan Gardner, et al).
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Timbo wrote: June 7, 2019, 11:15 am I’m always wary of these signings. Fast does not equal good (see: Joven Clarke, Nathan Gardner, et al).
Different build. This guy looks more like a young Inglis as far as frame goes.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

He runs fast...awesome !
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Who cares if he can play.

Xavier Savage. That is a friggin' brilliant rugby league name.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Hope here's more JAC than Bevan French.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

edwahu wrote: June 7, 2019, 11:19 am
Timbo wrote: June 7, 2019, 11:15 am I’m always wary of these signings. Fast does not equal good (see: Joven Clarke, Nathan Gardner, et al).
Different build. This guy looks more like a young Inglis as far as frame goes.
I'm not going full-negative, don't get me wrong. More just that I'm wary about being overly excited about signing a player whose main characteristic is that they're fast.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Timbo wrote:I’m always wary of these signings. Fast does not equal good (see: Joven Clarke, Nathan Gardner, et al).
Sean Fensom, Dane Tilse.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Ok, that's nice. We can see if he turns out to be a decent player over the next 2 or 3 years.

Or if we see one photo of him sprinting whilst pulling a tree branch and he's never seen again.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

For me it’s just about throwing darts really. Like I know talent scouting is a thing but these sorts of dudes are just lottery tickets and as far as lottery tickets go, taking a sprint guy isn’t a bad ticket to hold
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Darren Clarke was a brilliant signing for the tigers back in the day .........................:(

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Blogger »

Speed is the one skill you cannot coach. Worth a punt and it looks like the Roosters did not want to lose him so it can't be that bad.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

he can't wait to sprint down canberra's mountain bike tracks
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Ronny P wrote: June 7, 2019, 1:59 pm Darren Clarke was a brilliant signing for the tigers back in the day .........................:(

Wasn't he already in his mid 20s...
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Cue the athlete vs footballer discussion.

I wonder which of our young players the chooks will now target.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

They’ve just freed up enough cap space for Izzy Falou

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by ALX22 »

Yes, was named in the Roosters SG Ball squad but didn't play. Instead played centre (3/4) for the Easts Tigers in the MM Competition scoring 9 tries from 5 games. Will be SG Ball or MM eligible again next season (2020).

Is no longer at Brisbane Boys College, and is down at Palm Beach Currumbin.

If you want to see how fast he is find footage of the the U16 SOO game from last year.

Recently named in the QLD U18 Schoolboys side.
Last edited by ALX22 on June 7, 2019, 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

The last speed signing we made was Horace Dove Edwin.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

ALX22 wrote:Yes, was named in the Roosters SG Ball squad but didn't play. Instead played centre (3/4) for the Easts Tigers in the MM Competition scoring 9 tries from 5 games. Will be SG Ball or MM eligible again next season (2020).

Is no longer at Brisbane Boys College, and is down at Palm Beach Currumbin.

If you want to see how fast he is find footage of the the U16 SOO game from last year.

Recently named in the QLD U18 Schoolboys side.
thank you
Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Begbie wrote: June 7, 2019, 4:48 pm The last speed signing we made was Horace Dove Edwin.
:clap: That's an obscure one. Didn't end well as I recall. :roflmao

PS. what is the MM competition this kid plays in?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

BadnMean wrote:
Begbie wrote: June 7, 2019, 4:48 pm The last speed signing we made was Horace Dove Edwin.
:clap: That's an obscure one. Didn't end well as I recall. :roflmao

PS. what is the MM competition this kid plays in?
mal meninga cup
Edrick The Entertainer
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

T_R wrote: June 7, 2019, 12:08 pm Who cares if he can play.

Xavier Savage. That is a friggin' brilliant rugby league name.
THIS is what's important!

Oh, and this quote from the article: His signature would be a huge coup for the Raiders, who are well-known as one of the best development clubs in the NRL.

"We will buy your sprint merchants and develop them into footballers..." yeah, ok... about time!
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Good humble young indigenous kid from Cairns..... very very speed.
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

RedRaider wrote:Cue the athlete vs footballer discussion.

Not one of our but I hear they are looking at Ash Taylor and using Cooper as a bargaining tool (to Coach him).
You get the feeling Ash will reach his potential at a ‘big club’.

In Ricky We Trust
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Dear God. I sincerely hope not.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

I mentioned in the signing thread, but his selection in the 18 Years QLD Schoolboys team will see him travel to Canberra for the National Championship. The draw for that carnival can be see at http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page ... sID=414326 . While games are live streamed, locals should head to some of the QLD matches to see how he goes. It is highly unlikely that an Australian schoolboys side will tour this year, but hopefully a good carnival will see him named in the Merit team.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

I would love to see the Rooters turn their team into a hot garbage pile.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

This signing shows we are now looked at in a more positive way, than we have been for many years
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Brew wrote: June 8, 2019, 7:53 pm
RedRaider wrote:Cue the athlete vs footballer discussion.

Not one of our but I hear they are looking at Ash Taylor and using Cooper as a bargaining tool (to Coach him).
You get the feeling Ash will reach his potential at a ‘big club’.

I don't. What potential? I'd be delighted if the chooks signed him.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Kemp does a breakdown of Savage’s play on a Locker Room post on Facebook. I knew he was quick, didn’t realise he had awesome footwork to go with it.

http://ow.ly/vv4J50v7E9y *

* Language advisory
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Looks great. Obviously talented but not talented enough to make Australian side???????? Probably need to shop there first.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ronny P wrote: July 22, 2019, 9:42 pm Looks great. Obviously talented but not talented enough to make Australian side???????? Probably need to shop there first.

I saw three days of the ASSRL U18s National Championships tournament at Kippax last week... for those who missed the posts in the Raiders Pathways board. He was selected at No. 20 by Queensland originally... but I thought he was unlucky not to make the squad. They've only selected 17 players so far, so he might get added. He scored a hat trick in one game and a double in the final... started off the bench in the first game I saw, and ended up at starting centre in the final.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: July 22, 2019, 9:55 pm
Ronny P wrote: July 22, 2019, 9:42 pm Looks great. Obviously talented but not talented enough to make Australian side???????? Probably need to shop there first.

I saw three days of the ASSRL U18s National Championships tournament at Kippax last week... for those who missed the posts in the Raiders Pathways board. He was selected at No. 20 by Queensland originally... but I thought he was unlucky not to make the squad. They've only selected 17 players so far, so he might get added. He scored a hat trick in one game and a double in the final... started off the bench in the first game I saw, and ended up at starting centre in the final.
Can’t ask for much more than that - sounds like a great signing. What was your take on him GE? Does he continue to develop for 12 months before we have a serious look at him or is he already getting close to being considered as injury back up?