2019 State of Origin I: Queensland V New South Wales

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Maroons 13+
8%
Maroons 1-12
46%
Blues 1-12
38%
Blues 13+
8%

Total votes: 13

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Re: 2019 State of Origin I: Queensland V New South Wales

Post by Sid »

The Rickman wrote: June 6, 2019, 11:12 am
Sid wrote: June 6, 2019, 11:11 am
The Rickman wrote: June 6, 2019, 11:10 am

Looks like I agree with Gould AGAIN!! I was also saying this before the game... NSW will just never get it, will they?

You actually wrote before game 1 that you would go with Cleary and Keary in the halves, not Cleary and Maloney...

Keary was injured, they should've stuck with their WINNING halves from last year.

This is 2015 all over again...

So it was okay for NSW to change their halves to add Keary instead of Maloney for 2019, but then Keary was injured so it was silly to not stick solid with Maloney and Cleary (which wasn't your plan A anyhow). In doing so NSW would be taking a leaf out of QLD book of sticking solid with their halves, except for last year after 2 losses where QLD cut Ben Hunt and stuck Daly Cherry Evans there and have won 2/2 since.

It's also silly that NSW stuck solid with picking half Mitchell Pearce for so long.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Sid wrote: June 6, 2019, 12:17 pm

Looks like I agree with Gould AGAIN!! I was also saying this before the game... NSW will just never get it, will they?

You actually wrote before game 1 that you would go with Cleary and Keary in the halves, not Cleary and Maloney...

Keary was injured, they should've stuck with their WINNING halves from last year.

So it was okay for NSW to change their halves to add Keary instead of Maloney for 2019, but then Keary was injured so it was silly to not stick solid with Maloney and Cleary (which wasn't your plan A anyhow). In doing so NSW would be taking a leaf out of QLD book of sticking solid with their halves, except for last year after 2 losses where QLD cut Ben Hunt and stuck Daly Cherry Evans there and have won 2/2 since.

It's also silly that NSW stuck solid with picking half Mitchell Pearce for so long.

Like I said... NSW just don't get it.

#JDGI
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

The Rickman wrote: June 6, 2019, 12:23 pm
Sid wrote: June 6, 2019, 12:17 pm

Like I said... NSW just don't get it.

#JDGI

well you've got me there!

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Man what a doozy of a defensive edge that Walker / Latrell combo was. Really hope they pick that up in game 2.
Thought our boys did pretty well considering how the game played out. Wighton should have backed himself to go over but I'm not too hung up on it. Could have easily gone the other way. Hope he gets a chance at redemption. Really odd bench rotation too.
Last edited by zim on June 6, 2019, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

It's a shame Croker can't defend, he would've really got found out at that level unlike... oh
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Come on mate he's not built for origin.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I said the same thing about Alan Tongue, but if Jarrod Croker was a Queenslander he would've played ten origins by now, and would be firmly entrenched in this side.

On the flip side, if Mitchell Pearce and Ben Creagh were Queenslanders, they never would've sniffed the Origin arena.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The Rickman wrote:I said the same thing about Alan Tongue, but if Jarrod Croker was a Queenslander he would've played ten origins by now, and would be firmly entrenched in this side.

On the flip side, if Mitchell Pearce and Ben Creagh were Queenslanders, they never would've sniffed the Origin arena.
Ok.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I heard a rumor today there was a bit of unrest between some NSW players due to some of the indigenous players not singing the national anthem.

Walker, Carr and Latrell were a bit lost out there last night and lacked communication amongst the team. Can see how they can see this being related

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

LastRaider wrote: June 6, 2019, 3:55 pm I heard a rumor today there was a bit of unrest between some NSW players due to some of the indigenous players not singing the national anthem.

Walker, Carr and Latrell were a bit lost out there last night and lacked communication amongst the team. Can see how they can see this being related

Those three were the ones not communicating to each other though.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

LastRaider wrote:I heard a rumor today there was a bit of unrest between some NSW players due to some of the indigenous players not singing the national anthem.

They agreed to the silent protest, just not when they were going to stop
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 6, 2019, 4:34 pm
LastRaider wrote:I heard a rumor today there was a bit of unrest between some NSW players due to some of the indigenous players not singing the national anthem.

:lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders half Jack Wighton wants Origin redemption

Canberra Raiders five-eighth Jack Wighton is hoping he gets a chance to atone for his intercept pass that swung the State of Origin opener on Wednesday night.

"I just want to try to make things better and go again," he said. "It was a great experience and everything I expected and more and I'd Iove to do it again. That's all I want now - some redemption for me and the boys in Perth."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/raiders/

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... 8oguieovcc
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Good attitude, I'm not going to crucify Jack for that pass. Just unfortunate that it was the 2nd biggest shift in the game's "Win/Loss" needle behind Latrell Mitchell getting himself binned.

hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

The Rickman wrote: June 6, 2019, 3:10 pm I said the same thing about Alan Tongue, but if Jarrod Croker was a Queenslander he would've played ten origins by now, and would be firmly entrenched in this side.

Huge call
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

hobbsy wrote:
The Rickman wrote: June 6, 2019, 3:10 pm I said the same thing about Alan Tongue, but if Jarrod Croker was a Queenslander he would've played ten origins by now, and would be firmly entrenched in this side.

Huge call
I'm sure that Croker would have been first picked ahead of Inglis, Hodges and Chambers Image
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Croker is not an origin level player

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Anyone else think Cotric was crucified by the commentators? And I mean apart from yes, he has Serbian heritage...

For example: I'm pretty sure he took a hitup in the second NSW set (or was it the first?), but was the first bloke the senile caller couldn't name.

Held up Munster (was it Munster?) over the line - but it seems Tedesco's hand did all the work. The Serb's name not mentioned.

Smashed Morgan in a tackle and made him knock on. Inexplicably it's called a NSW knockon and six again. Wrong decisison, but again, an anonymous tackler.

No wonder the clowns in msm couldn't rate him higher - Nein hadn't told them what they were seeing.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

One thing that I haven’t seen mentioned is that the leaked tape the day before the game seemed to have its desired effect.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

:lol: :clap:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote:
hobbsy wrote:

Huge call
I'm sure that Croker would have been first picked ahead of Inglis, Hodges and Chambers Image
Like I said, you NSW blokes just don’t get it, and that’s ok, it’s ok to not get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Hindsight sucks but we should’ve known Walker, Mitchell and Addo Carr would **** the bed in defense as a combination.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dr Zaius wrote:
hobbsy wrote:

Huge call
Particularly when QLD don't change a winning side. Darius must have missed the team bus on Wednesday night #picknstick

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Queensland have won nothing yet !!!

MITCHELL PEARCE WILL FIX THIS...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Northern Raider wrote: June 6, 2019, 11:19 am
the bone wrote: June 6, 2019, 11:08 am Best stadium in the WORLD Rickman

It is absolutely the best stadium in the world, he's not wrong.
Cowboys stadium in the NFL has it covered. Holds 80,000 people.

I'd love to see something half this capacity built in Canberra. Does the NRL have a rule on the use of Astro Turf? The latest versions of artificial turf are apparently much improved.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Klemmer’s out for the rest of the series and we need Mongrel.

Tariq Sims pls.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

RedRaider wrote: June 7, 2019, 11:26 am

I'd love to see something half this capacity built in Canberra. Does the NRL have a rule on the use of Astro Turf? The latest versions of artificial turf are apparently much improved.
A 40,000 seat stadium in Canberra?? What would you do with the spare 30,000 seats??
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

If you build it they will come, particularly with a roof. I have been to the current stadium at Semi Final time and maximum 25k is not enough. Even if the top tiers are not opened for most matches it is the big match/big concert scenario where it could be packed out. ACT region population is only going up over time.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think it needs to be at least 30,000 if we're to attract Test matches.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

zim wrote:

ImageImageImageImage

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Dr Zaius wrote: June 6, 2019, 5:59 pm
hobbsy wrote:

Huge call
I like bold statements that can never been proven wrong.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The Rickman wrote: June 7, 2019, 2:38 pm
RedRaider wrote: June 7, 2019, 11:26 am

A 40,000 seat stadium in Canberra?? What would you do with the spare 30,000 seats??
Cardboard cutouts of you would be great !!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

LastRaider wrote:
zim wrote:

ImageImageImageImage

Well seams this turned out to be true

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/coupler ... 52e7cc8aa4
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Your proof is an article where Fitler refutes the claim...
Josh Addo-Carr seems to be doing just fine. Latrell and Walker were defending next to each other. You don't think it's odd that the worst communication and issues were between those 2?

Seems much more likely Fitler doesn't have time for **** performances.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I wouldn't be so sure, zim. NSW selectors have a LOOOONG history of racism in their selections, this is just a further extension of that.