All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: Matt's Match-ups 2019

Post by Matt »

Matt’s Match-ups Rd 13: Raiders V Tigers

It’s that time of year again. Mate against mate. State against State. Origin time, and this year the Raiders have three, Nick Cotric, Jack Wighton and Josh Papalii.

Tigers V Raiders

Moses Mbye © 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
George Jennings 2. Bailey Simonsson
Paul Momirovski 3. Jarrod Croker ©
Esan Marsters 4. Nick Cotric
Corey Thompson 5. Jordan Rapana
Benji Marshall 6. Jack Wighton
Luke Brooks 7. Sam Williams
Ben Matulino 8. Josh Papalii
Robbie Farah 9. Siliva Havili
Alex Twal 10. Dunamis Lui
Ryan Matterson 11. John Bateman
Chris McQueen 12. Elliott Whitehead
Matthew Eisenhuth 13. Joseph Tapine

Interchange
Jacob Liddle 14. Tom Starling
Thomas Mikaele 15. Emre Guler
Josh Aloiai 16. Sia Soliola
Michael Chee-Kam 17. Ryan Sutton

Extended Bench
David Nofoluma 18. Aidan Sezer
Elijah Taylor 19. Royce Hunt
Chris Lawrance 20. Michael Oldfield
Mahe Fonua 21. Sebastian Kris
Not Named 22. JJ Collins

#- Skins altered to pair like skins.
(Bolded players are the winners of the skin. The extended bench is excluded.)

Match-ups:

Fullbacks:
Charnze Nicholl-Klokstad, the half Norwegian, Viking Prince, ran for nearly 300m, had five tackle busts, a line break and the match winning tackle on the weekend. With a man of the match effort, he is back in the Dally M mix too. I don’t care if Moses Mbye is an Origin player, this is a no contest. Mbye is getting a game due to the injury toll for the Queenslanders.

Wingers:
Bailey Simonsson has won the battle for the left wing. Ricky Stuart rewards effort; look what he did with Young and Horsburgh. In the past three weeks, Simonsson has produced 51 carries for 418m to Michael Oldfield's 36 carries for 358m. He has also proven an option for dropouts. He is averaging 21m more than his opponent George Jennings, but their strike rate is the same, two tries from five games versus four from 11.

Michael Oldfield has been replaced on the wing by the returning Jordan Rapana. Which means Corey Thompson gets the skin via the injury rule. To be fair, Thompson was very good last week.

Centres:
Jarrod Croker made the match deciding play on the weekend, legally stripping the ball late in the game against the Bulldogs, with a penalty coming on the next play. He slotted the penalty goal and the rest was history. Big plays from the captain, leading from the front, as true leaders do. Paul Momirovski has been named to play his third game of the year, so it’s a no contest to Croker, via the injury/suspension rule.

Nick Cotric will return from an Origin debut for the Blues, which means Sebastian Kris goes back to Mounties after a debut try. Cotric will play his third game for the Raiders at centre, and while he is adapting quickly, the extra running is still taking its toll. Esan Marsters is averaging 133m, over four tackle busts and nearly two offloads a game. He has also grabbed five tries and two assists this season. He is an attacking powerhouse.

Halves:
Jack Wighton will also be returning from an Origin debut for the Blues, and it’s a massive plus for the Raiders, who were far less dangerous without him. The only worry for this week is that Benji Marshall doesn’t lose to the Raiders. His record is 18-1 against Canberra. That’s insane! It’s the best statistical form I can think of.

Sam Williams holds his spot for another week. Both he and Aidan Sezer took on the line last week, which was great to see, but as yet neither looks threatening doing it. Other than playing on the right edge, I couldn’t see what Williams did over and above that of Sezer. He did miss a field goal attempt from basically in front just before halftime. Luke Brooks has continued on the form he showed in 2018. He has massive kick metres in general play. He has two tries, and more importantly, eight assists. The most impressive thing is, he averages 119m a game as a halfback. The Tigers' halves get the skins.

Prop:
Corey Horsburgh was injured while deputising for Josh Papalii on Origin duty. So getting Papalii back this week is very important. Ben Matulino has fallen from grace, and is being shopped around by the Tigers. It’s a no contest for mine.

Dunamis Lui continues to be a solid influence, but with the rise of the younger forwards, I feel his role may diminish as the season goes on. Alex Twal is one of the best prop forwards in 2019, and was talked about for an Origin debut. He has a massive motor, and is averaging 38 tackles and 117m a game.

Sia Soliola continues to be fearless and inspirational. What he produced on the weekend, however, was way down on his averages for the year. This is a tough skin, as Josh Aloiai has been a revelation for the Tigers off the bench. He is averaging 93m and 30 tackles off the bench. But I've gone with Soliola.

Emre Guler faces off against rookie man mountain Thomas Mikaele. Mikaele wins via the not playing rule.

Hooker/utility:
Siliva Havili had a very solid game in his first hit out as the starting rake. His defence was especially strong, bringing some real starch to the middle third. However, age is not an issue for Robbie Farah in 2019. He has well and truly wound back the clock, and has been in great form for the Tigers. The veteran takes the skin.

Tom Starling was fine on debut for the Raiders, but didn’t really add anything of note. Jacob Liddle hasn’t had a great deal to do in recent weeks, but it is more than the 15 minutes Starling has seen in the top grade this year. Liddle takes the skin.

Backrow:
John Bateman was back sooner than expected, and he couldn’t have had a bigger impact than scoring "that" try. He will be back in the Dally M mix sooner rather than later, with performances like the one he produced on the weekend. The Raiders have two potential buys of the year in Bateman and Nicholl-Klokstad. Luke Garner was proving to be a great rookie edge player, having been a part of the under 20s team of the year last year. However, issues with concussion meant that he lost his place to a Maguire favorite in Chris McQueen; a man who helped him to a premiership. I don’t see it, but he is a trusted player.

Ryan Matterson is the 18th man for the Blues, and it is no surprise that he has been good for the Tigers in 2019. He is averaging 116m and 35 tackles a game, and has two tries and three assists. While his numbers are very good, he doesn’t have the ability to lift his teammates. Elliott Whitehead has not only been in great form, he is elevating the performance of those around him.

Hudson Young has taken the guilty plea for dangerous contact on Aidan Tolman, and will miss the next five weeks. Joseph Tapine has taken his number 13 jumper - though he did start at lock with Young starting on the bench on the weekend. Tapine’s footwork in the middle made him a tough customer to tackle against the Bulldogs, and he will need to do that again this week. Matthew Eisenhuth hasn’t been as good as he was last year, but Tapine has spent so much time out, it is hard to give him the skin.

Ryan Sutton has been a rock in the middle for the Raiders. His ball carrying in the last couple of weeks hasn’t been as strong as it has previously, but his defence has been very good. As the Raiders have built 2019 on defence, it’s no surprise to see their middles setting the platform. Michael Chee-Kam, the Raiders junior, has finally started to find his feet in the NRL. He won the Tigers the game against the Broncos with an inspirational solo effort. He is very good with ball in hand, but I believe he can be susceptible without it.

Result
The tally is Tigers nine and Raiders eight. Can the Raiders add a second loss to the Benji hoodoo?

Result: Raiders against the odds (by 4-10).

Plus follow The Greenhouse on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Cotric and Wighton lose their skins.

You can't make this stuff up.

You can make the origin line up but somehow a weird hoodoo wins you a skin and Cotric isn't good enough to win his skin- because Marsters is some kind of attacking genius despite Cotric beating him in average LB, LBA, TB's and avg metres per run... and makes less errors etc etc. No, just no.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Forget that, how does Croker beat Momirovski Image :rant:
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Corey Thompson over Rapana..

Rapana in a wheelchair EDIT

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Bunji at 34 better than a SOO player?? Matt was this a typo?
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

:lol: Wighton is in career best form

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Matt's stupid missed a game rules, makes the thread farcical
Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm glad Kerry Hemsley isn't playing, he'd pip Papa for the skin..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Gents, I live to please.

I should have added that Benji and Farah are 11-0 vs the Raiders when they play together. Also, its not like the Tigz have had a dynasty while we have been sucky either. These are wierd stats made to be broken, but thats nearly a decade without beating them. CRAZY!

Marsters is a NZ centre @BadnMean, international trumps Origin. Esp as that Origin player is playing wing not centre AND Cotric has 3 NRL games at centre total.

Love ya work @ bonehead and @PJ
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

RedRaider wrote: June 5, 2019, 12:48 am Bunji at 34 better than a SOO player?? Matt was this a typo?
I made my stance pretty clear. Its a ridiculous statistical anomaly that cant be overlooked. Im confident that Ive tipped against Benji plenty of times, and he is 18-1. Im essentially applying a modified Milford rule. You you Milf > Slater. Well in this case Raiders > Benji... Im not missing it this wk.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Matt wrote: June 5, 2019, 8:48 am Gents, I live to please.

I should have added that Benji and Farah are 11-0 vs the Raiders when they play together. Also, its not like the Tigz have had a dynasty while we have been sucky either. These are wierd stats made to be broken, but thats nearly a decade without beating them. CRAZY!

Marsters is a NZ centre @BadnMean, international trumps Origin. Esp as that Origin player is playing wing not centre AND Cotric has 3 NRL games at centre total.

so all of Rapana's form counts for nothing because he missed the last couple of games through injury, but we're counting the form of Benji and Farah across the last decade ? :?

Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Matt wrote: June 5, 2019, 8:51 am
RedRaider wrote: June 5, 2019, 12:48 am Bunji at 34 better than a SOO player?? Matt was this a typo?
I made my stance pretty clear. Its a ridiculous statistical anomaly that cant be overlooked. Im confident that Ive tipped against Benji plenty of times, and he is 18-1. Im essentially applying a modified Milford rule. You you Milf > Slater. Well in this case Raiders > Benji... Im not missing it this wk.
Shouldn't it be Benji > Raiders?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Where does this "tag team" skin rule come in? Does it apply to Leipana? The Burgii?

Why have I never heard this in any of your 25 threads a year explanation posts?

If Marsters outplays Cotric I'll eat Harry Butler's hat. If you can find it.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Finchy wrote: June 5, 2019, 9:58 am
His whole house of cards is crashing down around him! The bloody coward.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: June 5, 2019, 12:05 pm
No. Because like the Milf > Slater situation, the wrong one is first.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: June 5, 2019, 12:04 pm

Where does this "tag team" skin rule come in? Does it apply to Leipana? The Burgii?

There is none, its just a fact I missed.
As for Cotric vs Marster, I hope your right, but you are discounting a very good player at the same time.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Good to see I still have a few avid readers :thumbsup

And that it creates discussion.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: June 5, 2019, 12:06 pm

As for Cotric vs Marster, I hope your right, but you are discounting a very good player at the same time.
I don't discount him, I just don't think he's as good. And I will declare massive bias in the case because (as I'm sure I've posted 45 times :lol: ) I taught Cotric PE in year 10 (and a short while in Yr 9 as a practical teacher too) and was a really nice kid. Same size he is now but a genuinely nice guy- he could have made a mockery of that class with his talents but he just played as well as he could and always passed to kids in better positions and didn't crush anyone, made everyone feel good.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: June 5, 2019, 12:14 pm

I don't discount him, I just don't think he's as good. And I will declare massive bias in the case because (as I'm sure I've posted 45 times :lol: ) I taught Cotric PE in year 10 (and a short while in Yr 9 as a practical teacher too) and was a really nice kid. Same size he is now but a genuinely nice guy- he could have made a mockery of that class with his talents but he just played as well as he could and always passed to kids in better positions and didn't crush anyone, made everyone feel good.
Doesnt surprise me. The short conversations Ive had with him, he comes across as a great kid
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Matt wrote: June 5, 2019, 12:08 pm Good to see I still have a few avid readers :thumbsup

Yes Matt..

A few..and dwindling fast.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: June 5, 2019, 12:08 pm Good to see I still have a few avid readers :thumbsup

And I do love the thread.

If I didn't like it I wouldn't badger you about it and just ignore it and go embarrass myself in one of the Croker threads again.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha Matty has completely lost the plot here, you hate to see it... oh no I don't.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I'm just here for the comments
Edrick The Entertainer
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Can you do another hypothetical match up where Croker is either playing on the wing against George Jennings or is sacked?

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Sid wrote: June 5, 2019, 12:39 pm Can you do another hypothetical match up where Croker is either playing on the wing against George Jennings or is sacked?
Croker would win. Jennings is hot garbage.
Id give the skin to the sack though. He never drops anything, and always finds a way to carries everyone everywhere.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I know it's round 13 but it feels like the real Matt's Match-ups have finally begun :)
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

The wrong one is first? Didn't you choose Milf over Slater? Are you conceding that choice was wrong?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Finchy wrote: June 5, 2019, 3:27 pm

The wrong one is first? Didn't you choose Milf over Slater? Are you conceding that choice was wrong?
In all three instances, post the game, it was, yes.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Matt wrote: June 5, 2019, 3:44 pm

Lucikly post game this week you're wrong again. We beat the Tigers with Benji and Farah!

So it's Raiders > Benji for once
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Marsters over Cotric...

Marshall over Wighton...

I just came to gloat and say I told you so.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Finchy wrote: June 7, 2019, 10:10 pm
Matt wrote: June 5, 2019, 3:44 pm

Lucikly post game this week you're wrong again. We beat the Tigers with Benji and Farah!

So it's Raiders > Benji for once
:cmon
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: June 7, 2019, 11:44 pm Marsters over Cotric...

Marshall over Wighton...

I just came to gloat and say I told you so.
:thumbsup
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Matt’s Match-ups Rd 14: Raiders V Sharks

Sharks V Raiders

Matt Moylan 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
Sosaia Feki 2. Bailey Simonsson
Bronson Xerri 3. Jarrod Croker ©
Josh Morris 4. Nick Cotric
Josh Dugan 5. Jordan Rapana
Kyle Flanagan 6. Jack Wighton
Chad Townsend 7. Aidan Sezer
Andrew Fifita 8. Josh Papalii
Blayke Brailey 9. Siliva Havili
Matt Prior 10. Dunamis Lui
Briton Nikora 11. John Bateman
Kurt Capewell 12. Elliott Whitehead
Paul Gallen © 13. Joseph Tapine

Interchange
Wade Graham 14. Tom Starling
Jayson Bukuya 15. Emre Guler
Jack Williams 16. Sia Soliola
Braden Hamlin-Uele 17. Ryan Sutton

Extended Bench
Aaron Gray 18. Sam Williams
Scott Sorensen 19. Royce Hunt
Billy Magoulias 20. Michael Oldfield
Shaun Johnson 21. Sebastian Kris

#- Skins altered to pair like skins.
(Bolded players are the winners of the skin. The extended bench is excluded.)

Match-ups:

Fullbacks:
Charnze Nicholl-Klokstad is in Dally M contention, he is in 2019 NRL "buy of the year" contention, what has Matt ‘Delta’ Moylan done lately?

Wingers:
Bailey Simonsson: 195m, a try, and at least two try saves last week. Averaging 133m a game with three tries, this rookie winger has been very impressive. Sosaia Feki is lucky to be holding onto his spot. In 11 games, Feki has three tries, one assist, and averages 98m a game.

Josh Dugan has four tries, two assists, and averages 130m and over four tackle busts a game. Jordan Rapana has crossed three times in 2019, including one on the weekend. He averages 129m and a tick over two tackle busts a game. Glassman versus Wolverine, the fallen prodigal son versus the cult hero… I can’t pick Dugan.

Centres:
Jarrod "Toots" Croker is one try away from equaling the Raiders' try scoring record of "Toots Snr", the one and only Jason Croker. This is one of just a few Raiders records Jarrod is likely to break. Croker was even in Origin contention apparently. Bronson Xerri has come into the NRL with a bang, and I see lots of similarities between him and Jack Bird’s first year. The 18-year-old has surprised many with his speed and elusiveness, but he has also stood up defensively - with only eight missed tackled and three try causes. He got a hat trick last week, taking his season try scoring tally to seven - and that really helps his cause in this skin.

Nick Cotric is head to head with Blues right edge partner, Josh Morris. They have some very similar numbers in 2019. Morris has five tries, Cotric two. Both have two try assists. They average roughly 100 metres gained per game, while Cotric holds a one tackle bust a game advantage on Morris. While Cotric backed up on the weekend, he only really played part in the Rapana try... he was otherwise unseen. Cotric was solid on debut for New South Wales, but Morris was the better of the two for the Blues - so I'll edge it in favor of the veteran.

Halves:
Jack Wighton was solid for the Blues, especially when you consider he was covering for both Latrell Mitchell and the floundering Cody Walker when he entered the fray. But Wighton's Origin debut will ultimately be remembered for throwing a Kimmorley-esque intercept pass. But then Wighton came out two days later, looking for some redemption, and he dished it out to the Tigers. He faces off against Kyle Flanagan, son of disgraced Sharks coach Shane Flanagan. Flanagan has been very good filling in for Shaun Johnson, in what is basically his rookie year. Johnson will probably play, but he has only been named on the extended bench against this week. The rookie can’t top the Origin player in this skin.

Aidan Sezer seems to have won the halves battle against Sam Williams... for the moment at least. His kicking in the first half wasn't great, with too many grubbers hitting defenders' legs. However, the "eyes up", opportunistic run (yes, Robbie Farah fell over) that led to the Rapana try was great. He also scored off an intercept, which is probably the highlight most will remember. Chad Townsend has been directing his injury depleted team around, covering for Johnson, and mentoring the young Kyle Flanagan. Despite all those issues, the Sharks are well placed, in sixth. Plenty of that comes down to Townsend and his game management.

Prop:
Josh Papalii and Andrew Fifita are two of the best props in the competition. Fifita chose to play for Tonga over the Blues, otherwise he would be playing Origin. Both of these guys play big minutes, make big metres and loads of tackles. They are both very, very good and I can't split them.

Dunamis Lui. His defence on the weekend was very strong, but he also pumped out a huge 130m on the weekend without really being noticed. Prior averages 100m and 27 tackles a game. That is 20m and eight tackles more a game.

Emre Guler has played limited minutes in his two games so far this season. Jayson Bukuya might not have played last week, but has played 10 games this year, and averages 88m and 24 tackles a game. Bukuya gets the skin.

Sia Soliola and Raiders' junior Jack Williams have eerily similar numbers. Both have produced around 100m and 22 tackles per game and have one try apiece. Both are providing exceptionally valuable contributions off the bench.

Ryan Sutton owned the Tigers' middles on the weekend. He made 163m and 40 tackles. Sutton is the least known of the English quartet, but is playing every bit like his more recognised teammates. I really believe that Ricky Stuart has to start Sutton. He has been so much better as a starter, both at prop and lock. Braden Hamlin-Uele looks like a combination of Taumalolo and prop mentor Fifita. He has big minutes in him, can certainly break a tackle, and has an offload in him. This match-up is closer than most would give credit, as Hamlin-Uele is the impact prop most teams dream of.

Hooker/utility:
Siliva Havili did his job on the weekend. I thought he probably should have run a bit more, but in Hodgson's absence, he is keeping the Raiders' attack direct and simple. Blayke Brailey is the understudy to his older brother, and while capable, hasn't had the minutes to really impress so far this season.

For a little bloke, Tom Starling can really hit. He is a zippy, run first, type of hooker but we haven't seen that yet in first grade. Wade Graham was very good on his return from an ACL injury. But with one returning from injury and the other a rookie, and both playing half a game last week... that isn’t enough to call the skin.

Backrow:
John Bateman is a superstar. He came back from an eye socket injury early last week and was good. This week he dominated. His try right on the half time siren was pure magic. Defensively he is in your face too. Briton Nikora is having a very good rookie season. He is averaging just over 100m and nearly 30 tackles a game. He has three tries, nine line breaks and 28 tackle busts. He has been good, but he isn’t Bateman.

Kurt Capewell has been a solid and able replacement for Wade Graham in 2019, but the time has come for him to go back to the backseat. Elliott Whitehead has been special in recent weeks. Like his English teammate, and his young Blues teammate, he also used some soccer skills to produce the Raiders' first try last weekend.

Joseph Tapine has been quite good in the middle third in recent weeks. His footwork at the line has been good. However, to end the game on the weekend he conceded a couple of bad penalties. Paul Gallen is still playing good footy at 37, averaging 117m a game and 27 tackles a game. He also has a 100 per cent goal kicking record this year. I hate it, but it is his skin.

Result
The tally is Sharks six and Raiders eight and three draws. The Raiders haven’t tasted success against the Sharks in at home in six attempts. However in 2019, the Raiders have a "shield wall" defence. The Sharks are coming off a five day turnaround. If there was ever a chance to turn it around, it is this week.

Result: Raiders break the home hoodoo (by 1-6).

Plus follow The Greenhouse on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Surely Wade Graham wins the skin?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:Surely Wade Graham wins the skin?
Absolutely, Tom Starling shouldn't be mentioned in the same league as Wade Graham

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk