The Politics Thread 2019

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: The Politics Thread 2019

Post by gangrenous »

There’s having a policy and then there’s doing something. Much like you with a Labor surplus, I’ll believe it when I see the LNP delivering emissions reductions.

To Nickman - and Labor have enacted policies you would have thought would be Liberal, like floating the dollar. It’s an interesting theory that the bolder policies may often be easier enacted from the opposite side to expected? Possibly broader public support if you add your own supporters to those who those who want it?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

gangrenous wrote: May 22, 2019, 6:08 pm There’s having a policy and then there’s doing something. Much like you with a Labor surplus, I’ll believe it when I see the LNP delivering emissions reductions.

To Nickman - and Labor have enacted policies you would have thought would be Liberal, like floating the dollar. It’s an interesting theory that the bolder policies may often be easier enacted from the opposite side to expected? Possibly broader public support if you add your own supporters to those who those who want it?
The LNP have a chance to implement their policies now they've been voted in. The internal opposition has been severely weakened by Abbott's removal. Beside the point to what I said though.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Albo new leader of the ALP unopposed. Some have said he's "too left wing". Maybe the party needs a bit of traditional left approach rather than the 'new' left we've seen lately.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: May 27, 2019, 5:33 pm Albo new leader of the ALP unopposed. Some have said he's "too left wing". Maybe the party needs a bit of traditional left approach rather than the 'new' left we've seen lately.
If Labor is going to stand any chance at the next federal election they need to appeal again to the "working class", and in particular the mining industry, which they completely lost this election, and which effectively handed the election to Morrison.

And I'm not sure going further left does anything to help this cause. In fact most of the working class folks I know seem to absolutely despise the "loony left".
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: May 28, 2019, 10:23 am
Northern Raider wrote: May 27, 2019, 5:33 pm Albo new leader of the ALP unopposed. Some have said he's "too left wing". Maybe the party needs a bit of traditional left approach rather than the 'new' left we've seen lately.
If Labor is going to stand any chance at the next federal election they need to appeal again to the "working class", and in particular the mining industry, which they completely lost this election, and which effectively handed the election to Morrison.

And I'm not sure going further left does anything to help this cause. In fact most of the working class folks I know seem to absolutely despise the "loony left".
That is where the ALP need to move on from the thought process that "working class" = low income. I would say that on average these days the guys in hi-viz gear earn more than those in business shirts. The whole mindest of this sector has shifted. protecting jobs and income levels is whats important to them now. ALP need to adjust their approach to accommodate this as pushing the Green's agenda is the exact opposite. Albo might just be the guy to move away from that and get back to the supporting the traditional core of Labor.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

It's pretty obvious to me that you can't support the Greens AND support the working class of Australia at the same time. The Greens and their supporters might yell the loudest, and are a very, very vocal minority, but in the end they're a minority.

Probably explains why the polls had Labor winning in a landslide, but anyone with their finger on the pulse knew that Morrison was going to win.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Greens preferences are never going to the LNP so I don't know why the ALP are so concerned about keeping them.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Rickman wrote: May 28, 2019, 10:39 am It's pretty obvious to me that you can't support the Greens AND support the working class of Australia at the same time. The Greens and their supporters might yell the loudest, and are a very, very vocal minority, but in the end they're a minority.

Probably explains why the polls had Labor winning in a landslide, but anyone with their finger on the pulse knew that Morrison was going to win.
You smug ****.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: May 28, 2019, 2:47 pm
The Rickman wrote: May 28, 2019, 10:39 am It's pretty obvious to me that you can't support the Greens AND support the working class of Australia at the same time. The Greens and their supporters might yell the loudest, and are a very, very vocal minority, but in the end they're a minority.

You smug ****.
What, me?? What are you talking about? I... I have no idea what you mean...
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Didn’t Labor lose because of Shorten was the popular theory and if that’s the case no change of policies or target audience required.

As for catering to the mining crowd I’m not sure how you do that and remain environmentally responsible, not to mention my housemate has worked at a few mining sites over the years and if what he tells me is accurate it would mean catering to One Nation voters which won’t and should not happen (that’s the LNPs job), lmao his latest site in Perth is full of flat earthers how the **** do you cater to them?
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

If you reckon Albo can sell those policies then its all good for the ALP. :)
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Well it’s apparent we should all listen to Manbush’s housemate as the new foremost expert on the mining industry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Rickman wrote: May 29, 2019, 9:58 am Well it’s apparent we should all listen to Manbush’s housemate as the new foremost expert on the mining industry

Lucrative job in one of the highest paid industry in the country = dossing down with Manbush in his inner city squat.

Makes sense.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: May 29, 2019, 9:58 am Well it’s apparent we should all listen to Manbush’s housemate as the new foremost expert on the mining industry
He really has his finger on the pulse. Fairly sure he was keynote at the recent Austmine conference.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

T_R wrote: May 29, 2019, 10:04 am

Lucrative job in one of the highest paid industry in the country = dossing down with Manbush in his inner city squat.

Makes sense.
Old school mate, away 3 weeks back for 1, makes perfect sense to have relaxation week where anything goes and entertainment galore, also near his kids and his parents.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha, relaxation week where “anything goes and entertainment galore”, welcome to Manbush’s Party Palace!!

I’ll just have the crab juice
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Rickman wrote:Hahaha, relaxation week where “anything goes and entertainment galore”, welcome to Manbush’s Party Palace!!

Actually, it sound nice. MB, make up the couch. I'll be there in an hour.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: May 30, 2019, 11:31 am
The Rickman wrote:Hahaha, relaxation week where “anything goes and entertainment galore”, welcome to Manbush’s Party Palace!!

God, that's a sitcom I'd pay big dollars to watch!
Wiggy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Wiggy »

How is that religious freedom bill going to work?

If I claim my views are religious (no matter what they are), am I protected? Or is it only state approved religions that are applicable?

And now the Liberal party are going to tell a private company that it doesn't matter if an employee is costing you large profits, you still can't fire them. Seems pretty anti-business of them.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Religious freedom should only be the freedom to believe anything you like not a free pass to special privileges.

Will be interesting to see if the Libs honor the bipartisan agreement to stop schools discriminating against gay students now that they’ve won the election or will that be part of their “religious freedom bill” which they conveniently waited to introduce until after the election.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush wrote: Will be interesting to see if the Libs honor the bipartisan agreement to stop schools discriminating against gay students now that they’ve won the election or will that be part of their “religious freedom bill” which they conveniently waited to introduce until after the election.
Which one do you think they’ll go with, Manbush?

Seriously now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I absolutely **** adore this thread.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: May 30, 2019, 12:02 pm

And this is why. Someone needs to green light this immediately. Whatever it takes. Like the odd couple
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: May 30, 2019, 8:12 pm
The Rickman wrote: May 30, 2019, 12:02 pm

And this is why. Someone needs to green light this immediately. Whatever it takes. Like the odd couple
Mate, it would be the best **** show any of us would ever see.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The Rickman wrote: May 30, 2019, 2:23 pm
Manbush wrote: Will be interesting to see if the Libs honor the bipartisan agreement to stop schools discriminating against gay students now that they’ve won the election or will that be part of their “religious freedom bill” which they conveniently waited to introduce until after the election.
Which one do you think they’ll go with, Manbush?

Seriously now

Not sure mate but where I’m leaning, there’s a reason the LNP put off discussing the religious freedom review, also a senator has written requesting an investigation into Folaus sacking, Labors talking they may have to pander more to the religious, have a feeling this election is going to strengthen religious privileges rather than weakening them as should be happening.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

For me the last labor terms put me further from voting labor then I ever have been which includes a good couple of elections where I voted for them.

Fundamentally they are going to have to convince Me that underlying their policy they do not have a spirit or core value as the Pollies like to say, of more govt intervention, more taxation, more spending and more control.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The government intervention one always gets me when conservatives say they want less and liberals want more, liberals want more when it comes to regulating businesses but conservatives want more government intervention when it comes to personal freedoms like abortion, euthanasia, drugs etc, they all want more and less government intervention just on different issues.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I want less intervention in both personal freedoms and business.

Humanity in my opinion works best when governments leave people to live their own lives and focuses on their own big picture projects like large infrastructure / nation building stuff.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Labor can’t manage our economy... :)

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-06- ... fmredir=sm
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

So it looks like a bunch of gun nuts in the US, who are used to having Australia's laws used in arguments against their lunacy, are using the Darwin shooting to rub their 'ideological superiority' in Australia's face.

The stupidity is breathtaking, the disconnect from reality is extreme. They've had something like 148 mass shootings this year alone, but sure, we're the ones who have got gun control wrong.

EDIT
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

The Politics Thread 2019

Post by The Nickman »

Anti-gun control nuts are like religious fanatics, you’ll never convince them they’re insane, Sterlk

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The logic is breathtakingly stupid.

I’m ashamed to be considered the same species.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote: June 7, 2019, 6:27 am The logic is breathtakingly stupid.

I’m ashamed to be considered the same species.
Haha to be fair, arguing with a gun control nut is similar to arguing with you and Fergus about referees.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

If we’re being fair, you’re a ****