The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Off topic

Post by -PJ- »

Oh.

And hello to all recent contributors to the off topic thread.

Who we got ?

Boner, Tim, Rickhead, Fui(nice garage floor btw), dub...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
bonehead wrote:House purchase settled, I have stability
Nice one mate, well done.
Just got the garage floor done, loving the look of it. Weekend will be all about putting shelves up, moving everything back in, and start saving for the next hobby

That's one sexy floor

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

very nice stickystickyfufu
Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Today I won the $100 Sportsmans Warehouse (sadly they're a company that doesn't understand the use of apostrophes) voucher for voting in the raiders.com.au man of the match competition. Thank you Papa, having voted for him!

I'm not sure what I'll do with it.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Good job, I won one a few rounds ago on CNK

Bit of a surprise considering I forgot I even voted on it

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Good work. What did you buy? I see I can buy two footys for that, I might give them away as prizes.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I'm annoyed.

Life kinda sucks sometimes.

It took me all my life to here, and now I'm here.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:Good work. What did you buy? I see I can buy two footys for that, I might give them away as prizes.
Indoor cricket bat

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-TW- wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Good work. What did you buy? I see I can buy two footys for that, I might give them away as prizes.
Indoor cricket bat

I can see the General playing indoor cricket, he'd be handy.

Why did the Aussie media howl down the Aussie crowds for booing Kohli but say nothing about Warner and Smith's treatment at the WC?
Edrick The Entertainer
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

dubby wrote:I'm annoyed.

Dubs, I'll bite for once just once, you've gotta work on this funk - coming from me mate I'm not being glib. You know what I know about you, you know we all want the best for you. This self pitying is not the best you.
You can hate me for being honest, delete my post if you prefer but you've got to want to find your best self and make it happen, the resources are there for you.
Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Kohli isn't a cheat, he's just a ****

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-TW- wrote:Kohli isn't a cheat, he's just a ****

yeah and I'll boo him if I want and not be told I can't
Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Yeah I couldn't give a **** either way, I'm not gonna boo him cause he's a great player... But on the other hand I'd boo Warner if he played for another country

It's not worth having a whinge in the media about

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Everyday might not be good Dubs, but there’s something good in every day.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Off topic

Hey Dubs, have you been to the new pub at Marsden Park? It’s been in the headlines for it’s dress code and menu options..

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/au.news ... 58046.html

https://www.2gb.com/pubs-controversial-dress-code/
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Hey Dubs, have you been to the new pub at Marsden Park? It’s been in the headlines for it’s dress code and menu options..

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/au.news ... 58046.html

https://www.2gb.com/pubs-controversial-dress-code/
I drive past it regularly. Looks flash!

I've thought about stopping in.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

bonehead wrote:

Dubs, I'll bite for once just once, you've gotta work on this funk - coming from me mate I'm not being glib. You know what I know about you, you know we all want the best for you. This self pitying is not the best you.
You can hate me for being honest, delete my post if you prefer but you've got to want to find your best self and make it happen, the resources are there for you.
Hey boney, nah mate I appreciate your candor. I know you well enough to know how to take your comment.

I do apologize for the sook. I shouldn't do it. There really is a lot to enjoy in life, and I do give thanks every single day, many times a day, for the wonderful people on my life, the benefits I enjoy, and the hope I have.

I'm guilty of internalizing all the pressures of life until I snap. That's something I need to improve on.

Thanks for the post mate.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Off topic

Post by The Nickman »

dubs, somebody very close to me is going through a very tough period in their life right now, and I’ll try and give you the same advice I’m trying to give them on a daily basis right now

Life sucks, but it sucks for everybody if you choose for it to. We all hate our jobs, we all hate so many small things that seem like they mount up to significant issues, but they really don’t. At the end of the day, we’re all very blessed to have the lives we have, the difference between life sucking and life being amazing is how we choose to view our day. So if you’re going through a tough time, try and take if day by day, focus on the positives in your life, try not to focus on the negatives. Know that work sucks, we all hate going to work, and just get through each day. If daily increments are too big, just focus on getting through the next hour, continually remind yourself of the great things in your life and not focus so much on the negatives.

Life goes in swings and roundabouts, for every time you feel happy, there’s a down period just around the corner, but vice verse is always true as well, remember that. You will always come out the other side of any funk. When you’re going through a tough period just focus on the small stuff: eat well, exercise regularly, sleep well, go to bed early if you must, and try and laugh. Laughter really is the universal medicine

But above all else, remember that this too shall pass, you’re not alone, and every single one of us thinks “life sucks!” from time to time

Now **** off, I’ve got work to do

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

As he scrolls through Facebook stirring **** on alt right groups

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-TW- wrote: May 29, 2019, 12:13 pm As he scrolls through Facebook stirring **** on alt right groups

Don't forget far left morons too!!
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Sound advice, mate.
I actually do that, and tend to do it well. For some reason the lows I experience get really low.

Fact is, I'm about to start making some changes. Big changes, but they'll put me in a much happier place, and that's what it's all about.

Do things that bring us joy, surround yourself with those who enjoy your company, and relish those good moments.

And curse this damn injury run the raiders have Image

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Hey dub..

Would you like to come grocery shopping with me on Saturday morning ?

I walk around with the Monster-in-law.

It's quite the laugh.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Off topic

Post by The Nickman »

Hey dubs, that’s all fantastic stuff, but you need to be mindful of avoiding the “if only I had x, THEN my life would be better” mindframe that can trap so many people. It’s one of the biggest flaws in the human psyche IMO. Once I get that job, once I move house, once I find the perfect partner, THEN my life won’t suck so much!

The reality is, the difference between whether your life sucks or doesn’t is pretty much entirely up to you. This is the reason why I’ve met people in Africa who are some of the happiest people I’ve met, yet I’ve known billionaires who struggle with depression just as much as the rest of us. It all lives in our minds, the difference between a good day and a bad day can literally come down to how we slept last night and our frame of mind getting out of bed

Having said all that, I absolutely applaud making changes for the better. If you truly hate your job or your boss, get a better one when you can, eat healthier, exercise more, sleep better, cut those negative people out of your life who only want to bitch and gossip and bring other people down but REMEMBER... you can do all of these things and still be miserable. Until you learn to address the root causes of what causes suffering, changing external factors is like fixing a leaking petrol tank with some heavy-duty tape. Sure, the tape might hold for a week or a month, but eventually it falls off, and you end up right where you started

Get the tank fixed properly, and it should no longer leak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The Rickman wrote: May 29, 2019, 2:34 pm Hey dubs, that’s all fantastic stuff, but you need to be mindful of avoiding the “if only I had x, THEN my life would be better” mindframe that can trap so many people. It’s one of the biggest flaws in the human psyche IMO. Once I get that job, once I move house, once I find the perfect partner, THEN my life won’t suck so much!

The reality is, the difference between whether your life sucks or doesn’t is pretty much entirely up to you. This is the reason why I’ve met people in Africa who are some of the happiest people I’ve met, yet I’ve known billionaires who struggle with depression just as much as the rest of us. It all lives in our minds, the difference between a good day and a bad day can literally come down to how we slept last night and our frame of mind getting out of bed

Having said all that, I absolutely applaud making changes for the better. If you truly hate your job or your boss, get a better one when you can, eat healthier, exercise more, sleep better, cut those negative people out of your life who only want to bitch and gossip and bring other people down but REMEMBER... you can do all of these things and still be miserable. Until you learn to address the root causes of what causes suffering, changing external factors is like fixing a leaking petrol tank with some heavy-duty tape. Sure, the tape might hold for a week or a month, but eventually it falls off, and you end up right where you started

Nice words Rickhead.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Thanks PJ. And just for the record, I’d LOVE to come shopping with you some day

Provided we stop plenty of times to keep our fluids up

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

What's the Woolies like in Rocky ?

Is there a BWS in store ?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote:What's the Woolies like in Rocky ?

My local pub is next to an IGA if that helps?

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

-PJ- wrote: May 29, 2019, 2:38 pm
The Rickman wrote: May 29, 2019, 2:34 pm Hey dubs, that’s all fantastic stuff, but you need to be mindful of avoiding the “if only I had x, THEN my life would be better” mindframe that can trap so many people. It’s one of the biggest flaws in the human psyche IMO. Once I get that job, once I move house, once I find the perfect partner, THEN my life won’t suck so much!

Nice words Rickhead.
He was due for a win :P

Great advice though. The only thing I would add Dubs is I cant recommend strongly enough talking to a professional. I have just started up again in the last couple of months, as similar to you, internalisation of stresses was compounding into creating a larger issue. Simply speaking through these stresses with someone not associated with any of it was the biggest relief - I walked in feeling like I was carrying a 50kg backpack, and walked out like that entire weight was lifted. Simply form talking through with the right person. It can be hard to get into the system, but if there are loopholes, so if you need any advice sing out.

Always a DM away.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Coastalraider wrote: May 29, 2019, 2:47 pm
-PJ- wrote: May 29, 2019, 2:38 pm

Nice words Rickhead.
He was due for a win :P

Great advice though. The only thing I would add Dubs is I cant recommend strongly enough talking to a professional. I have just started up again in the last couple of months, as similar to you, internalisation of stresses was compounding into creating a larger issue. Simply speaking through these stresses with someone not associated with any of it was the biggest relief - I walked in feeling like I was carrying a 50kg backpack, and walked out like that entire weight was lifted. Simply form talking through with the right person. It can be hard to get into the system, but if there are loopholes, so if you need any advice sing out.

Always a DM away.
I can't agree with this statement enough... people should prioritise going to see therapists and councillors just as highly as going to see a doctor... it's that damned important.

Physical health without mental health is just as poor a situation as mental health without physical, they're just both so necessary.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The Rickman wrote: May 29, 2019, 2:43 pm

It helps..
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

It sure does, old friend. It sure does.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Rickman wrote:Hey dubs, that’s all fantastic stuff, but you need to be mindful of avoiding the “if only I had x, THEN my life would be better” mindframe that can trap so many people. It’s one of the biggest flaws in the human psyche IMO. Once I get that job, once I move house, once I find the perfect partner, THEN my life won’t suck so much!

This was great advice until you started talking about emptying the tank, then I thought “**** it’s Shilo again!”

For realz but, it’s great advice. I was in a slump last couple of years, and when I looked at myself, I could see it was work related. I was drinking more, sleeping less and was I was in my head a lot, and really distant. Made the call last year that I had to get out of that team, even opened up to my leader that I wasn’t happy.
Since the change, it’s been chalk and cheese. A combination of the new job, and the realisation that everyone’s a ****wit, and I’m most like someone’s ****wit, has made life surprisingly good.

If you ever want to catch up at The Marsden, let me know. Just make sure you cover your facial tattoo with makeup, and don’t bring your manbag or wear TNs.

Nickman's love of NSW
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The Rickman wrote:Thanks PJ. And just for the record, I’d LOVE to come shopping with you some day

Provided we stop plenty of times to keep our fluids up

Oh, I just HAVE to be a part of that!

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-PJ- wrote:
The Rickman wrote: May 29, 2019, 2:43 pm

It helps..
When I imagine Rocky I picture a boulevard of pubs, liquor stores and tattoo parlours.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Don't try and change me, Fui!!

Seriously though, I've taken ten days off work. I'll probably hit you up. First we'll have a drink at the Marsden.

Nrickman, i think I've found the underlying cause. But I'm taking time off to mull things over, to get out of my head for a bit, to ensure I'm not knee jerking.