Williams or Sezer?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Re: Williams or Sezer?

Post by Neeeegz »

julian87 wrote:Sezer needs to offer more than that this week with virtually no ball play from our 9 or 1 and Wighton out tbh.
If sezer does nothing again, I'd like him dropped for hingano for the next time jacks out

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

If Hingano cant play this week he should be seriously looking for a new club!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ronny P wrote: May 28, 2019, 7:22 pm If Hingano cant play this week he should be seriously looking for a new club!

But he's not demonstrated he's better than Williams or Sezer...
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Not arguing that..... but if he thinks hes better and cannot get a start in particular this week then he should be looking elsewhere..... i am surprised they named Niko on an extended bench. Looking at the defence stats from last week for mounties he and Ohagan might need some extras!

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I'd say he's been looking for a new club all year. He's not contracted next year.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Ronny P wrote:If Hingano cant play this week he should be seriously looking for a new club!

He should..

He sucks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Curious to know which club would consider Hingano an upgrade on their current halves.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

greeneyed wrote: May 28, 2019, 7:28 pm
Ronny P wrote: May 28, 2019, 7:22 pm If Hingano cant play this week he should be seriously looking for a new club!

Haha. I remember when commentators said the same thing when a young Jonathan Thurston replaced nathan Fein. Its a true statement. But im not sure how one demonstrates this without being given an opportunity. In the only 1st grade game ive seen hingano play at half (against us) he absolutely schooled sezer. So I have no basis of compsrison other than reggies stats. These too demonstrate hingano is superior based on every attacking stat. So I'm not sure what more this kid needs to do.

Hingano
10 games
4 forced drop outs
1 Tries
9 Try sssists
7 Line break assists
7 Offloads
151 tackles at 81.1% Tackle efficiency

Sezer
4 games
7 forced drop outs
0 Tries
1 Try sssists
2 Line break assists
0 offloads
43 tackle at 85.5% Tackle efficiency
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

FROG wrote:
greeneyed wrote: May 28, 2019, 7:28 pm

Haha. I remember when commentators said the same thing when a young Jonathan Thurston replaced nathan Fein. Its a true statement. But im not sure how one demonstrates this without being given an opportunity. In the only 1st grade game ive seen hingano play at half (against us) he absolutely schooled sezer. So I have no basis of compsrison other than reggies stats. These too demonstrate hingano is superior based on every attacking stat. So I'm not sure what more this kid needs to do.

Hingano
10 games
4 forced drop outs
1 Tries
9 Try sssists
7 Line break assists
7 Offloads
151 tackles at 81.1% Tackle efficiency

Sezer
4 games
7 forced drop outs
0 Tries
1 Try sssists
2 Line break assists
0 offloads
43 tackle at 85.5% Tackle efficiency
Agree......100% hence why with Jack out etc is his time now??? If i am him im dirty based off the numbers...which tell the story. Interesting times ahead but i can see 2 leaving or being pushed out next year with G Williams entering.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Geez, comparing Hingano to Thurston now. Thurston had 2 seasons of 1st grade at the Dogs and a GF ring when he joined the Cowboys.

...and those stats are no form of proof for anything. Just watch the highlights of Sezer at Mounties on the NSWRL site. Out of 12 tries he's the primary contributor to 6 of them.

Don't get me wrong, Hingano seems to be playing much better at Mounties this year. He still hasn't demonstrated he's better than Williams or Sezer, which is probably the weakest halves combo in the NRL. Hardly an endorsement for other clubs to chase him as an upgrade in their current stock.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Clubs wouldn't likely be chasing Hingano as their first choice half- but plenty might have a look at how he got stuffed around by the Raiders positionally, which knocked his reputation and confidence around and then he spent a season in reggies building himself back up where he produced solid numbers (arguably better than the FG half alongside him) and think he's worth a shot as their new back up half.

And that other club, might actually give him a go when their current half is injured or turns out sux.

I don't watch Mounties so I don't have a dog in this fight but I DO remember the Warriors game v us he looked quite good and had some starring plays. I remember his "ankle breaking" step. Now his numbers in reggies look ok. Shrug.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

LP Raider wrote: May 28, 2019, 4:31 pm 10 years later this is just another Herbert V McCrone debate.

Both should be moved on, I'd be happy enough with having Hingano as our backup next year on minimum wage.

Teams like Manly and Storm have 4th stringers better than these 2, it's rather embarrassing even debating it.
:lol: Oh the memories of those glory days.

I also don't watch a lot of Mounties so don't have a strong opinion on Hingaro but what I would say again is players improve. I'm not sure putting a line through his name from what we've seen so far playing out of position is anything close to fair. We need to give the guy a break rather than continually hammering him for the 2018 games. Most of our players were disastrous last year but at least they have the chance to right the wrongs and alter people's opinion of them.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
amiafish
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Past: Ricky Stuart Present: Xavier Savage

Post by amiafish »

Sezer and Williams are both known quantities in the NRL...and not in a good way. They have proved themselves to be poor halves time and time again. What's more, they're not spring chickens who have some latent potential waiting to be tapped...they're just not very good Rugby League players.

Sezer has played 139 games; Ata has played 24, is still only 22 years old. You can definitely make the argument that Ata has untapped potential, so purely from a statistical point of view, you need to give him a chance to unlock it before returning to the proven failures Sezer and Williams.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BadnMean wrote: May 29, 2019, 9:14 am Clubs wouldn't likely be chasing Hingano as their first choice half- but plenty might have a look at how he got stuffed around by the Raiders positionally, which knocked his reputation and confidence around and then he spent a season in reggies building himself back up where he produced solid numbers (arguably better than the FG half alongside him) and think he's worth a shot as their new back up half.

And that other club, might actually give him a go when their current half is injured or turns out sux.

I don't watch Mounties so I don't have a dog in this fight but I DO remember the Warriors game v us he looked quite good and had some starring plays. I remember his "ankle breaking" step. Now his numbers in reggies look ok. Shrug.
It wouldn't just be his 1st grade performance out of position at the Raiders. Also remember the Warriors signed him for 3 years then cut him with 2 years left. That would throw up red flags too.

He's only 22 so still has time to develop and improve. Little doubt he could land a reserve grade contract somewhere. But saying that he needs to leave the Raiders to get a chance at NRL again is stretching things. That suggests another club would see him as an upgrade on their current top 3 halves. I can't think of any club in that position.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Northern Raider wrote: May 29, 2019, 9:50 am
BadnMean wrote: May 29, 2019, 9:14 am Clubs wouldn't likely be chasing Hingano as their first choice half- but plenty might have a look at how he got stuffed around by the Raiders positionally, which knocked his reputation and confidence around and then he spent a season in reggies building himself back up where he produced solid numbers (arguably better than the FG half alongside him) and think he's worth a shot as their new back up half.

It wouldn't just be his 1st grade performance out of position at the Raiders. Also remember the Warriors signed him for 3 years then cut him with 2 years left. That would throw up red flags too.

He's only 22 so still has time to develop and improve. Little doubt he could land a reserve grade contract somewhere. But saying that he needs to leave the Raiders to get a chance at NRL again is stretching things. That suggests another club would see him as an upgrade on their current top 3 halves. I can't think of any club in that position.
that's not really what happened, they signed him for 3 years and promised him first crack at replacing Foran to get the deal over the line, got the deal signed then went straight out and recruited Blake Green to partner Johnson, Hingano wasn't too impressed so asked for a release, he was released not "cut"
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

kiwi raider wrote: May 29, 2019, 10:21 am
Northern Raider wrote: May 29, 2019, 9:50 am

that's not really what happened, they signed him for 3 years and promised him first crack at replacing Foran to get the deal over the line, got the deal signed then went straight out and recruited Blake Green to partner Johnson, Hingano wasn't too impressed so asked for a release, he was released not "cut"
Fair enough. Similar scenario though. Warriors decided to recruit Green so obviously didn't regard him as their future. He wasn't willing to back himself either.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

the halves this week should be Hingano and Sezer.
With the best of them earning the chance to start along side Wighton next week.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

PigRickman wrote: May 29, 2019, 11:00 am the halves this week should be Hingano and Sezer.
I'd go along with that. Williams has been handed a rolled gold opportunity and he's failed to take it. I'd rather see Hingano given a shot now to show which is worthwhile keeping beyond this season (both off contract I believe). Also the added bonus that Sezer and Hingano have had several weeks together at Mounties building a combination.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

PigRickman wrote: May 29, 2019, 11:00 am the halves this week should be Hingano and Sezer.
Agreed
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: May 29, 2019, 11:06 am
I'd go along with that. Williams has been handed a rolled gold opportunity and he's failed to take it. I'd rather see Hingano given a shot now to show which is worthwhile keeping beyond this season (both off contract I believe). Also the added bonus that Sezer and Hingano have had several weeks together at Mounties building a combination.
I'm 100% down with that plan.
rraided
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by rraided »

Can't see how or why the one and only representative half in our squad, having played for a pretty competitive test team can't get a start in our spine. It defies logic.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

rraided wrote: May 30, 2019, 12:53 pm Can't see how or why the one and only representative half in our squad, having played for a pretty competitive test team can't get a start in our spine. It defies logic.
If Williams or Sezer had Tongan lineage they’d be rep halves too tbh.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I cant disagree with the fact that Williams has been given a good shot at staking a claim for his spot and hasn't. On the same token, I'm not confident that playing Sezer instead would have made all that much of a difference... I'd be happy for him to play while he's here, but if he's got a chance to leave (which by the sound of some recent comments there might be) then I wouldn't be mad to see the club let him go. In my eyes, neither him nor Williams are quite up to first grade standard but the difference is Williams is a back up half on back up half coin. Sezer is probably slightly better but we've got a replacement on the way in George Williams anyway.

I think if we're being honest about it, realistically speaking we aren't going to win the comp this year with our current halfback situation against the likes of the Bunnies/Roosters/Storm barring key injuries or something like a mid season transfer with G Williams. The best case scenario is a grand final appearance imo but we're in a really good position for a proper push next year... anything that will put us in a better financial position cap wise to lock in a team that will get us that premiership is my preference over keeping Sezer because he's slightly better than Sam Williams.
Last edited by Raiders_Pat on May 30, 2019, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

julian87 wrote: May 30, 2019, 2:18 pm
rraided wrote: May 30, 2019, 12:53 pm Can't see how or why the one and only representative half in our squad, having played for a pretty competitive test team can't get a start in our spine. It defies logic.
If Williams or Sezer had Tongan lineage they’d be rep halves too tbh.
Sezer is a rep half. Italy I think.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Sezer has played for City, Indigenous All Stars and Turkey. Williams has played Country. We have 4 rep stars in the halves, what quality depth!
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Bennyinthewest »

PigRickman wrote:the halves this week should be Hingano and Sezer.
Best

Comment

Ever

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Whitty
David Shillington

Post by Whitty »

I'm hoping Sezer has been working on his kicking so he doesn't serve up them pathetic little dabs at the footy he was coming up with last season. For christ sake if you are going to kick for touch, kick the **** thing down the field more than five metres. Give it a reef, or just take a tap and don't waste the time poncing around fluffing the ball less distance than I could throw it.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

And all this time i thought a sockpuppet was something from romper room
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Whitty wrote: May 30, 2019, 6:02 pm I'm hoping Sezer has been working on his kicking so he doesn't serve up them pathetic little dabs at the footy he was coming up with last season. For christ sake if you are going to kick for touch, kick the **** thing down the field more than five metres. Give it a reef, or just take a tap and don't waste the time poncing around fluffing the ball less distance than I could throw it.
Im utterly CONVINCED this is a coaching direction. Williams, Sezer, even Austin who has a **** cannon on his foot last year... they all just take miserable **** angles on touch kicks. It's infuriating.

We had one last week where Williams kicked for touch from about 20 in and 40 out and somehow we were tapping it at halfway
I dont think of Williams but i KNOW he can give it a better heave than that!
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Austin used to roost a few.

I simply cannot believe R. Stuart would give conservative little dab kicks on penalties as a coaching direction. He used to use them a bit like a 40/20. He'd make good metres most times but whenever we really needed some crowd involvement or the boys needed a lift Ricky would nail one right downfield.

Williams actually doesn't have a long kick- he's almost in the Alf Langer range. Sezer not much better- I've wondered if his hammies or groins can't quite get through the ball anymore. I don't know why Jack doesn't take them if they are near centre field or we really need distance.

I used to like the way Jordy Raps would often just say 'stuff your 15m kicks, I'll tap now, run 20 and get them moving backwards for you, here we go!"
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Yeah Jack seems the only half capable of giving it a good whack down the park
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 30, 2019, 10:08 pm Yeah Jack seems the only half capable of giving it a good whack down the park
It's fairly clear our game plan in in general play is go to Jack for anything long, anyone else can call a play or try their luck from just on the 40/20 zone onward.

Jack seems to be taking on more and more of the #1 kicker role in medium/short kicking too and doing well though. Which was initially beyond my expectations.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Sezer also has his habit of kicking through the line rather than over it when going long. The over under on kicks into the opposition defensive line is set at 1.5 for the weekend, I can't recollect seeing a player do it anywhere near as often.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote:
Raiders_Pat wrote: May 30, 2019, 10:08 pm Yeah Jack seems the only half capable of giving it a good whack down the park
It's fairly clear our game plan in in general play is go to Jack for anything long, anyone else can call a play or try their luck from just on the 40/20 zone onward.

Jack seems to be taking on more and more of the #1 kicker role in medium/short kicking too and doing well though. Which was initially beyond my expectations.
Jack’s kicking game is absolutely improving out of sight this season, it’s pleasantly surprising

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

The Rickman wrote: May 31, 2019, 7:54 am
BadnMean wrote:

Jack’s kicking game is absolutely improving out of sight this season, it’s pleasantly surprising

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think like most who believed jack to 5/8 would be a good move, i thought the caveat would be that the kicking would need to be done by his halves partner or hodgo. Then all the sudden Jack is actually amazing with the boot and that kick chase 😍 and we’re all left happily incorrect
Dont delete this GE