Greg Inglis to enter rehabilitation

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Greg Inglis to enter rehabilitation

Post by The Nickman »

Greg Inglis has entered rehabilitation as the Rabbitohs legend struggles to adapt to his life in retirement.

South Sydney issued a short statement on Friday confirming Inglis, who retired earlier this season with more than 18 months left on his Rabbitohs deal, has entered a clinic. "Rabbitohs and Souths Cares ambassador Greg Inglis has entered a facility to undergo treatment to assist with and support his mental health," a South Sydney statement said.

"On behalf of Greg and his family, we ask the media and the public to respect their privacy. No further comment will be made by the Rabbitohs, Greg, his management or his family at this time." Inglis played 265 NRL matches for both the Storm and Rabbitohs as well as 39 Tests for Australia and 32 games for Queensland in the State of Origin arena.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australi ... spartanntp

Just posting this to its own thread as a reminder to everybody out there that your mental health is very important. Just remember, you're not alone, we've all gone through bad patches in our lives, and people are more often then not willing to talk and provide support if they hear anybody is struggling.

Good to see GI getting the help he needs too. My thoughts go out to the big guy and his family in this difficult time. He'll come out the other side the stronger for it, but it can be a tough battle.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Re: Greg Inglis to enter rehabilitation

Post by TongueFTW »

Great post. I am sure everyone has their stories - I lost one of my close friends to depression last year. No one had any idea he was struggling, at all. One of the toughest things to deal with in my life.

Speak up and get help. No shame in it, nothing "soft" about it.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Good post Rickman and worth highlighting.

The one thing that we might take away here is that there is a high probability that people on The GH are also experiencing poor mental health, and this should be a reminder on how we treat and respond to each other.

All the best to GI, a true champion of the game.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I can totally sympathize, GI.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Just on a personal note, unfortunately the Depression and anxiety in my life is worsening. I went through a good period, but I just can't seem to shake it.

Having inciteful, horrible people around does not help. The reaction and perception people have towards people withmental health problems is the most difficult part of trying to recover.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

dubby wrote: May 24, 2019, 2:06 pm Just on a personal note, unfortunately the Depression and anxiety in my life is worsening. I went through a good period, but I just can't seem to shake it.

Having inciteful, horrible people around does not help. The reaction and perception people have towards people withmental health problems is the most difficult part of trying to recover.

Im always a DM away Dubbs.

I think there are 2 main issues around mental health right now - and Im currently dealing with some issues as well. Those with the issues rarely know that it is actually an issue until its progressed quite a way - Ive been right to the edge before and was a fair way into this current spell before I realised it wasnt just stress. Once I realised what it was I could take action, but it isnt an instant realisation.
The other part is how other people react to it - I spoke to my boss earlier in the year just as a heads up that if I was at my desk with headphones on I wasnt pissed off with everyone, I just needed some privacy and needed to zone out a bit as I was struggling with my mental health - and while he is a great mate, and has gone so far out of his way to help with parts of my life, he had zero idea how to approach that subject and hasnt mentioned it since. Its very difficult thing for people to know how to act in that situation, I think you would find that the best people are those who have been touched or affected by it in the past.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Coastalraider wrote: May 24, 2019, 2:17 pm
dubby wrote: May 24, 2019, 2:06 pm Just on a personal note, unfortunately the Depression and anxiety in my life is worsening. I went through a good period, but I just can't seem to shake it.

Im always a DM away Dubbs.

I think there are 2 main issues around mental health right now - and Im currently dealing with some issues as well. Those with the issues rarely know that it is actually an issue until its progressed quite a way - Ive been right to the edge before and was a fair way into this current spell before I realised it wasnt just stress. Once I realised what it was I could take action, but it isnt an instant realisation.

The other part is how other people react to it - I spoke to my boss earlier in the year just as a heads up that if I was at my desk with headphones on I wasnt pissed off with everyone, I just needed some privacy and needed to zone out a bit as I was struggling with my mental health - and while he is a great mate, and has gone so far out of his way to help with parts of my life, he had zero idea how to approach that subject and hasnt mentioned it since. Its very difficult thing for people to know how to act in that situation, I think you would find that the best people are those who have been touched or affected by it in the past.
I've actually found people to be very accommodating once you tell them you're struggling... the hardest part for me was always speaking up. I struggled really badly with my mental health in my mid-twenties and basically struggled through alone - taught myself meditation and other techniques which I still use to this day, but I remember a couple of years ago I had a brief flareup for a few months. I remember one day telling everyone down the pub I was struggling a bit with depression and everybody rallied around me in such a way it amazed me.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Thanks, coastal I appreciate that.

I've found the best and worst in people. There is a stigma surrounding mental health in our society. While it's slowly improving, we've got a long way to go.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Todd Greenberg says NRL 'can do more' for players like Greg Inglis

NRL chief Todd Greenberg says the game can be doing more to support the mental wellbeing of its players as recently-retired star Greg Inglis struggles to adjust to life after football. Greenberg met with the Canberra Raiders' leadership group on Friday morning with player welfare high on the agenda.

"There is a very strong leadership group here at the Raiders and it was a very good discussion."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Video: NRL CEO Todd Greenberg speaks in Canberra: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/05 ... w-stadium/
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Let's hope GI's battle with mental health is not treated in the same manor that he treated his partner's mental health.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Good grief. Horrible stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk