2019 NSW Origin team

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

2019 NSW Origin team

Post by Sid »

I'm predicting the backs to be selected will be

1. Tedesco
2. Tupou
3. Mitchell
4. Cotric
5. Addo-Carr
6. Keary
7. Cleary

14. Wighton

Turbo In for Tupou when fit
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: NSW Origin team

Post by BadnMean »

I'd like that to be the team but it looks too sensible.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

The Rickman wrote:
Sid wrote: May 23, 2019, 10:41 am I really think Freddie will go with Keary and Cleary for the halves this year and IF there's a bit of success NSW could well finally have their spine locked in for the next handful of years

1. Tedesco
6. Keary
7. Cleary
9. Cook

as far as dicking around with the halves goes I think pretty much everyone agrees it'd a big mistake to choose incumbent Maloney over debutant Keary this year
Absolutely. What you've got here is the spine I believe NSW should pick rain, hail or shine for the next five years.

They won't though haha. Next season "King Gutho" will start the season in career-best form and oust James Tedesco who has started a bit quiet, and they'll wonder where it all went wrong.
Haha this is so true. SMH

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Cody Walker has more try involvements this year than Penrith.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

julian87 wrote:Cody Walker has more try involvements this year than Penrith.
Noting that Guler may also have had more try involvements than Penrith in his 30 minutes of NRL this season.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Tedesco
Cotric
Mitchell
Wighton
Addo-Carr
Keary
Cleary
Klemmer
Cook
Trbojevic
Cordner
Frizell
Murray

Walker
McLean
Vaughan
Sims
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I agree with Wayne Bennett's comments. It would be crazy to select Cleary/Maloney for Origin.

QLDers coming into this thread and saying 'pick Cleary' is like a NSW supporter trying to convince QLDers to select Boyd instead of Ponga.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Sid wrote: May 23, 2019, 11:31 am I'm predicting the backs to be selected will be

1. Tedesco
2. Tupou
3. Mitchell
4. Cotric
5. Addo-Carr
6. Keary
7. Cleary

14. Wighton

Turbo In for Tupou when fit
I think you're right about Cotric in the centres, just a feeling that's the way it will unfold. To the coaches it makes sense seeing as he's already in the squad. They had a bit of an issue around who was gonna fill that right centre slot and then right around Origin time, Cotric shifts to the centres for us... I feel like if I were in their shoes it would seem like the logical choice. Wighton also seems to have a lot of hype around him for that utility bench spot.

As far as the halves go, I also have a feeling that we'll see this combo. The selectors won't want to get rid of too many from last year's team. I personally think it will be a mistake when they select Cleary because I have a suspicion that his poor form will carry on for longer than others may think... I'm not sure it's great for his development to have his father as his coach and I have a suspicion that it might be detrimental to him in the long run.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

gergreg wrote: May 23, 2019, 5:53 pm I agree with Wayne Bennett's comments. It would be crazy to select Cleary/Maloney for Origin.

QLDers coming into this thread and saying 'pick Cleary' is like a NSW supporter trying to convince QLDers to select Boyd instead of Ponga.

Oooooffff. Fabulous point. Lucky there is a net behind that goal or you would have kicked Rickman into the next orbit :lol:

Anyhow i'll sit back and wait for Kevvie to pick Boyd because he's one of those ones that 'gets it'. Except last year, his 'getting it' was a little off but he'll 'get it again'. But Wayne Bennett is a Queenslander and he should get it? So much confusion ha ha ha ha
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Fergo a cert after tonight's game
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

These cards stamped “never to play origin again” expire quickly...
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Cleary had an average game but by the sound of the commentary team's garbage he's gonna make the cut. Channel 9 were trying to pump him up as much as they could, they had nothing to show so they kept repeating the same highlights...

As for Fergo, he started with a bang but his performance seemed to fade taking into account a few errors. I think he's the right selection on the wing for NSW though with Trbojevic out. I'd definitely have Fergo on the wing and Cotric at centre rather than the other way around, he plays much better there.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Cotric has played one NRL game at centre. I love him as a player but it's a massive risk.

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

gergreg wrote: May 24, 2019, 6:33 am Cotric has played one NRL game at centre. I love him as a player but it's a massive risk.

If he can handle it defensively I don't see it as a huge risk. We'll have a better idea where he's at after this weekend anyway.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Not a huge risk if it keeeps Morris out of the team.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 23, 2019, 11:45 pm Cleary had an average game but by the sound of the commentary team's garbage he's gonna make the cut. Channel 9 were trying to pump him up as much as they could, they had nothing to show so they kept repeating the same highlights...

As for Fergo, he started with a bang but his performance seemed to fade taking into account a few errors. I think he's the right selection on the wing for NSW though with Trbojevic out. I'd definitely have Fergo on the wing and Cotric at centre rather than the other way around, he plays much better there.
Yeah agree on Cleary, Pat. Far out they went totally OTT about a bog average game. The try was a lucky opportunistic one too but they add to the stats big time.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Woodgers wrote: May 24, 2019, 8:08 am Yeah agree on Cleary, Pat. Far out they went totally OTT about a bog average game. The try was a lucky opportunistic one too but they add to the stats big time.
I just checked the Round 11 thread and saw all the comments re: worst game of the year. Hard to disagree. It will be truly hilarious when Cleary gets selected at halfback for NSW off the back of a very ordinary performance in a game some fans are deeming the worst game of the year. I was watching the game with my old man and said the exact same thing re: the try, it was complete luck and the commentators were crapping on about how Cleary was showing a winning attitude and that he wanted it more etc. Lol what a load of ****! The Panthers are 3-8, they only just got away with a win against a side playing their worst footy of the season and Cleary has been stinking it up for the most part if we're being honest about it.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact they'll select Cleary, there is too much noise around this Fittler pact. It's not the end of the world for me, I think Cleary is a decent player but just not playing anywhere near the level required to steer NSW around at the moment. He just wasn't in my preferred team at this stage.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Look Cleary at least tried to stamp himself on the game in that period. I believe he dummied and ran a couple of times in the lead up and half got through a gap and got his team going forward and stretched the eels a bit.

The try was very lucky and the rest of the game was pure puss but at least he didn't go missing or completely botch things.

It was a but telling when they best the commentators could come up with was- yeah but when he is surrounded by quality players you'll barely notice how average he is because they'll make him look good :/
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

BadnMean wrote: May 24, 2019, 10:17 am Look Cleary at least tried to stamp himself on the game in that period. I believe he dummied and ran a couple of times in the lead up and half got through a gap and got his team going forward and stretched the eels a bit.

The try was very lucky and the rest of the game was pure puss but at least he didn't go missing or completely botch things.

It was a but telling when they best the commentators could come up with was- yeah but when he is surrounded by quality players you'll barely notice how average he is because they'll make him look good :/
The fact is though that this was probably one of Cleary's better games, if not his best of the season... and he was very ordinary. I think it's quite an insult to the other halves in NSW to pick him... they would basically be sending a message that no matter how crap the guy plays, and no matter how well they play, Cleary will be picked and that's the end of the story. We all saw how well that went for NSW during the Pearce era. That's my main issue with it. If he was THE superstar player for NSW, then fair enough... but he's not, he's just another player in the squad. This is rep footy and in rep footy you're supposed to select the best players.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Keary won a final last year as the sole half in his team. The played for Australia, and played well. He has been in very good form this year as well. he has a great existing club combination with both Cordner and Mitchell on the left edge. He should really be the first half picked for NSW.

Cleary didnt fire in the finals series last year. He did not play for Australia in the world cup. He is arguable in the worst form of his career. He has no existing club combinations with any players around him. And while this might be controversial, my memory of his debut origin series was that he was very lucky he was alongside Maloney, as Maloney had a great knack of taking over the game when Cleary started to struggle - he would recognise it, call the play, take the kick, guide the forward around etc, and take all the pressure off Cleary. I think commentators saying 'Cleary won us a series last year' are missing the fact he was a passenger for large parts while Maloney won us a series last year.

Maloney is a no.

Walker showed last week how good a combination he and Damien Cook have right now, and he is arguably the inform 6 of the comp. the faster a game is, the better he seems to get.

For me it really should be:

7. Keary
6. Walker

While neither have played Origin before, they have played finals footy, and have existing club combinations with important people around them. Cleary has time to force his way back into the squad, but Origin is NOT the place to try and find form.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Coastalraider wrote: May 24, 2019, 1:44 pm Keary won a final last year as the sole half in his team. The played for Australia, and played well. He has been in very good form this year as well. he has a great existing club combination with both Cordner and Mitchell on the left edge. He should really be the first half picked for NSW.

Cleary didnt fire in the finals series last year. He did not play for Australia in the world cup. He is arguable in the worst form of his career. He has no existing club combinations with any players around him. And while this might be controversial, my memory of his debut origin series was that he was very lucky he was alongside Maloney, as Maloney had a great knack of taking over the game when Cleary started to struggle - he would recognise it, call the play, take the kick, guide the forward around etc, and take all the pressure off Cleary. I think commentators saying 'Cleary won us a series last year' are missing the fact he was a passenger for large parts while Maloney won us a series last year.

Maloney is a no.

Walker showed last week how good a combination he and Damien Cook have right now, and he is arguably the inform 6 of the comp. the faster a game is, the better he seems to get.

For me it really should be:

7. Keary
6. Walker

While neither have played Origin before, they have played finals footy, and have existing club combinations with important people around them. Cleary has time to force his way back into the squad, but Origin is NOT the place to try and find form.
Agree with all of this and particularly the part I've bolded
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

NSW Blues Team – Origin I (Alphabetical order)

Josh Addo-Carr
Nathan Cleary
Damien Cook
Boyd Cordner (c)
Nick Cotric
Angus Crichton
Tyson Frizell
Payne Haas
David Klemmer
Latrell Mitchell
Josh Morris
Cameron Murray
James Tedesco
Jake Trbojevic
Paul Vaughan
Cody Walker
Jack Wighton
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Angus Crichton and Josh Morris aside, that’s a good team.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Stoked for Cotric and Wighton
Good for those dudes
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

3 props and 5 backrowers. I guess Jake and Tyson can cover if required. I hope the massive gamble on Cleary pays off but I guess he's not a match winner, just a solid toiler who tries his guts out and doesn't make too many errors.

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

yeh raiders wrote: May 26, 2019, 6:12 pm Angus Crichton and Josh Morris aside, that’s a good team.
Agreed.

I don’t like no hooker reserve either though ftr. I’d say Fittler thinks Murray can do that though.

Murray needs to start and Trbo play front row off bench imo, otherwise the bench is too small.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

The big issue with Crichton, aside from not being an origin player, is he was used in the middle last year. Was completely lost out there, apart from a reasonable stint in game 2.

This season, even Roosters fans have turned on him and are wishing they’d kept Ryan Matterson instead.

Morris has been a shadow of himself for a very long time. His only saving grace is that Morgan is playing out of position and he himself isn’t quite the player he once was.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Re: 2019 NSW Origin team

Post by -PJ- »

NSW 3-0
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Lucy must be stoked for Wighton
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

And on the other side Keggy has run out of tissues - tears of joy.

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Great news, the more Origin players playing for Raiders the better

This NSW squad is the most likable one in years. I think it is a prop short, though RCG has been complete pus, Ryan James is gone and I haven't watched McLean closely so possibly the right call.

Hoping Turbo comes in for Morris and not Cotric when fit, then it makes more sense for an experienced JMoz to fill a gap for 1 game rather than a rookie or Blake Derpuson
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

McLean was playing well enough to get a call up but looks like they've gone with Chricton for the better defense instead of McLean for the bigger body and metres.
Murray and Haas are also better defenders than McLean.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

If Murray goes to lock and Trbo gets used as a bench prop they’re not short imo. Especially considering Qlds bench.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

I'm happy with the side selected. I thought NSW might be a middle short on the bench as well but I think Freddy wants that mobility and agility in the defence to contain the running games of Ponga and Munster.

At the risk of being absolutely slammed I will say i'm disappointed that Pearce was ruled out. That would have been quite a redemption story for a bloke playing unreal footy and i've always felt he's maybe the biggest scapegoat I've seen in the sport, taking the full criticism for a side completely outclassed in all areas.