2019 Queensland Origin team

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

2019 Queensland Origin team

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Since I did this for the NSW Origin team, I thought it'd only be right to do a QLD version. My team would be:

1. Ponga
2. Oates
3. Morgan
4. Chambers
5. Gagai
6. Munster
7. Cherry-Evans
8. Papalii
9. Hunt
10. Napa
11. Gillett
12. Kaufusi
13. McGuire

14. Mbye
15. Arrow
16. Ofahengaue
17. Fifita/Lowe
Last edited by Raiders_Pat on May 22, 2019, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Queensland Origin team

Post by Northern Raider »

I reckon that's close. If up to me I'd have Arrow starting. Far better player than McGuire and you want him on the park as much as possible.

Options very thin at hooker and I agree that's where Hunt should play. Better hooker than halfback IMO.

Fairly solid team and NSW cannot take it lightly. Particularly with Ponga and Munster.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

That is close but I think we’ll see Granville to start at hooker with Hunt playing 50 mins or so from bench. The last 2 reserves will be Cooper or Hess as the backrower and Wallace/Glasby as the middle imo. Fifita probably would be a better pick than the cows backrowers though.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

McGuire at hooker for the opening 15-20, Hunt from the bench to cover the remainder
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

julian87 wrote: May 22, 2019, 9:03 am That is close but I think we’ll see Granville to start at hooker with Hunt playing 50 mins or so from bench. The last 2 reserves will be Cooper or Hess as the backrower and Wallace/Glasby as the middle imo. Fifita probably would be a better pick than the cows backrowers though.
Yeah I think it's probably more likely that we'll see one the Cowboys backrowers but I tried to pick a team I'd like to see, taking form and the future in to consideration. The Cowboys guys don't deserve it based on form imo. Same with Granville at hooker even though he's the only genuine hooker option. I almost left Morgan out based off that but I left him in on the basis that a) I know he won't be dropped and b) he's definitely an Origin player when he's on his game, he's the calibre of player that you keep even when not in form going in to the Origin period.
Last edited by Raiders_Pat on May 22, 2019, 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Northern Raider wrote: May 22, 2019, 8:06 am I reckon that's close. If up to me I'd have Arrow starting. Far better player than McGuire and you want him on the park as much as possible.

Options very thin at hooker and I agree that's where Hunt should play. Better hooker than halfback IMO.

Fairly solid team and NSW cannot take it lightly. Particularly with Ponga and Munster.
No issues with starting Arrow over McGuire and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. After all this fuss over a hooker crisis it looks like QLD will field a pretty good side.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

julian87 wrote: May 22, 2019, 9:03 am That is close but I think we’ll see Granville to start at hooker with Hunt playing 50 mins or so from bench. The last 2 reserves will be Cooper or Hess as the backrower and Wallace/Glasby as the middle imo. Fifita probably would be a better pick than the cows backrowers though.
Probably but in reality Granville is lucky to be holding his spot at the Cowboys ahead of Baptiste. There's so few options at hooker for Qld right now when you look through the NRL team lists. WIth Smith retired, McCullough and Green injured you're pretty much left with Granville, Baptiste, Mahoney, Lawton, Turpin and Segayaro. Granville and Mahoney are the only 1st choice hookers at their club on that list.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Northern Raider wrote: May 22, 2019, 10:28 am
Probably but in reality Granville is lucky to be holding his spot at the Cowboys ahead of Baptiste. There's so few options at hooker for Qld right now when you look through the NRL team lists. WIth Smith retired, McCullough and Green injured you're pretty much left with Granville, Baptiste, Mahoney, Lawton, Turpin and Segayaro. Granville and Mahoney are the only 1st choice hookers at their club on that list.
Id have Mahoney ahead of Granville personally, I almost put him in my side instead of Segeyaro.

Edit: I meant Mbye, not Segeyaro.
Last edited by Raiders_Pat on May 22, 2019, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: QLD Origin team

Post by julian87 »

I don’t think Granville deserves it at all but I think that’s what will happen. I don’t think Hunt is capable of playing 80 up the guts and I can’t see McGuire playing any dummy half coming back from injury. Qld’s Middle forwards outside of McGuire, Papalii and Napa are too weak to forfeit McGuire’s opening stint there imo.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

julian87 wrote: May 22, 2019, 11:15 am I don’t think Granville deserves it at all but I think that’s what will happen. I don’t think Hunt is capable of playing 80 up the guts and I can’t see McGuire playing any dummy half coming back from injury. Qld’s Middle forwards outside of McGuire, Papalii and Napa are too weak to forfeit McGuire’s opening stint there imo.
I wouldn't put Jai Arrow in the 'weak' category. Pound for pound one of the best middle forwards in the comp IMO. Doesn't get the attention because he's at a low profile club that is struggling.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

julian87 wrote: May 22, 2019, 11:15 am I don’t think Granville deserves it at all but I think that’s what will happen. I don’t think Hunt is capable of playing 80 up the guts and I can’t see McGuire playing any dummy half coming back from injury. Qld’s Middle forwards outside of McGuire, Papalii and Napa are too weak to forfeit McGuire’s opening stint there imo.
That's why I've got Mbye in 14. I think QLD are better off with a Hunt/Mbye hooker rotation than Hunt/Granville. If not Mbye, I'd have Mahoney. I wouldn't advocate for McGuire at hooker.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

1. Kayln Ponga
2. Corey Oates
3. Will Chambers
4. Michael Morgan
5. Dane Gagai
6. Cameron Munster
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Josh Papalii
9. Jake Granville
10. Dylan Napa
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Matt Gillett
13. Jai Arrow

14. Ben Hunt
15. Josh McGuire
16. Jarrod Wallace
17. Joe Ofahengaue

18. Kyle Feldt
19. Coen Hess
20. Anthony Milford
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

QLD Origin team

Post by RTW »

I find it interesting that it is widely accepted that Morgan will just slot into the centre with no worries. I know he did a decent job in one game a couple of years back but he has had some injuries since then and has surely lost some pace.

I hope they do select him and if they do I will be loading up on the edge forward/centre/winger opposite him -any time try scorer

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

His recent injuries have had nothing to do with his legs (abdominal, bicep). Speed's really not going to be an issue.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

zim wrote:His recent injuries have had nothing to do with his legs (abdominal, bicep). Speed's really not going to be an issue.
I was more thinking the chronic groin injury he had last season combined with the general slowing down that comes with age.

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

RTW wrote: May 22, 2019, 7:27 pm I find it interesting that it is widely accepted that Morgan will just slot into the centre with no worries. I know he did a decent job in one game a couple of years back but he has had some injuries since then and has surely lost some pace.

I hope they do select him and if they do I will be loading up on the edge forward/centre/winger opposite him -any time try scorer

I don't think he's necessarily the best option at centre but I accept that QLD selectors probably feel they need him on the field somewhere... he's been struggling to find form but at his best he's an Origin player as far as his skill, experience and character goes I reckon.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

For those suggesting Granville, I just don't see him being selected. Not only is he quite out of form but he's 30 years old. I think it's much more likely that we see the selectors go with a one-two punch of Hunt and blooding someone like Mahoney off the bench looking to the future, or rotating with somebody like Mbye - he's the Tigers captain, he's been playing good footy and he's more than capable of providing some spark at hooker. Granville is not Origin quality imo.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Mbye really shouldn't even be in the conversation. He's been terrible for most of the year and playing non-hooking roles for the last couple of years. He's not good enough to move someone in the backline to accommodate him and would provide a speed bump if defending in the front line. I can see a Hunt / McGuire, Hunt / Mahoney combo though.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

zim wrote:Mbye really shouldn't even be in the conversation. He's been terrible for most of the year and playing non-hooking roles for the last couple of years. He's not good enough to move someone in the backline to accommodate him and would provide a speed bump if defending in the front line. I can see a Hunt / McGuire, Hunt / Mahoney combo though.
He played well for the Tigers last week but his been pretty ordinary otherwise. I don't understand why he is even being mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

RTW wrote: May 22, 2019, 9:47 pm
zim wrote:His recent injuries have had nothing to do with his legs (abdominal, bicep). Speed's really not going to be an issue.
I was more thinking the chronic groin injury he had last season combined with the general slowing down that comes with age.
I was unaware of that one. I've only got info on the injuries he's lost games for.
I'd say the chronic issue has been sorted after he missed most of last year with the bicep injury.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Mbye should be no where near that team. I’d have Morgan over DCE at halfback but then that leaves a cap at centre... Granville/Hunt is the best hooking tandem IMO

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

DCE should be our halfback if fit, he’s our halfback, won his position back in Game Three last year and we probably win the series if they played Game One with him.

Unlike NSW, Queensland doesn’t chop and change their halves every series.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Fine with me. Outside of last year’s dead rubber DCE has generally ran around like a headless chook at origin level

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Nah, he had one poor game that year that Cronk got injured, but other than he’s been solid. Easily our best halfback

the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Always dangerous picking players on the back of a dead rubber win... just ask the Blues

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Queensland Origin team

Post by The Nickman »

I’m not basing it on that, mate. He should’ve been there all series, and he has a decade of origin experience.

He’s easily the best candidate for the job, and Queensland selectors know that and regret not picking him for it last year in the first two games.

You just worry about the fact nsw is going to completely chop a winning halves combination... again

the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

He’s not quite that experienced at Origin level... 7 games in 6 years, mostly off the bench. But yeah, in isolation, I agree he is the best halfback, but I think Morgan fits the team better, taking into account the other playmakers (Munster and Ponga).

And to clarify, as I mentioned in the NSW thread, I think it MADNESS to drop Cleary. I do think Keary deserves the 6 over Maloney though.

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

DCE is the best halfback in league by a mile including Origin (hasn’t really proved it there yet though)
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

He’s better than Cronk?

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

DCE has to be a shoe in if fit, I was surprised how many QLD fans didn't want him there last year.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Sid wrote: May 23, 2019, 9:40 am DCE has to be a shoe in if fit, I was surprised how many QLD fans didn't want him there last year.
I didn't want him there, and I'll freely admit I was wrong. If he played Game One he very well could've been the difference in a very close encounter. Absolutely dominated NSW in Game Three.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Ooft I don’t remember a DCE domination in game three. From memory the blues were well and truly in it until some incredibly dumb penalties from Sims

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

the bone wrote:Ooft I don’t remember a DCE domination in game three. From memory the blues were well and truly in it until some incredibly dumb penalties from Sims

Wrong again, bone! I clearly remember a VERY dominant DCE having his hand in every try as Queensland raced out to a 30 to nil lead, and I have a photographic memory!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

The Rickman wrote: May 23, 2019, 8:23 am DCE should be our halfback if fit, he’s our halfback, won his position back in Game Three last year and we probably win the series if they played Game One with him.

Unlike NSW, Queensland doesn’t chop and change their halves every series.
Unlike NSW, we're ok with picking the current Australian halves every series lolz.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Ponga
Oates
Chambers
Gagai
Feldt
Munster
Cherry-Evans