Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 *Spoilers*

Post by Northern Raider »

PigRickman wrote: May 22, 2019, 2:22 pm
The Rickman wrote: May 22, 2019, 1:55 pm I find it odd that someone who was brought back to life by magic remains alive at the end

That really could be a “happier ever after” moment for the show, it really doesn’t impact the final scenes much if he dies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everyone else who served the lord of light (and granted Jon wasnt actively preaching he was a servant, but the LOL did bring him back!) died once they're purpose was filled. Jon living makes no **** sense unless it's that he sits the throne.
...or his purpose was to kill the mad queen, which he fulfilled. They set it up perfectly then totally dropped the ball Boogs style with what took place after.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PigRickman wrote: May 22, 2019, 2:33 pm There is NO **** chance GRRM ends it this way. No chance... maybe Bran sits the throne in the end, but this ending cant be what GRRM had in mind for these characters.

The only thing im sure of is that we get Mad Dany. The rest? Who **** knows.
But he's told us that it is. He's told us that he'd told the makers of the show how it ended and the books would basically end the same way. There is no doubt there would be different details... better explanations and motivations.

Anyway, I doubt that anyone will be the wiser to any alternative as the books are never being completed.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: May 22, 2019, 3:01 pm
The Rickman wrote: May 22, 2019, 1:55 pm I find it odd that someone who was brought back to life by magic remains alive at the end

That really could be a “happier ever after” moment for the show, it really doesn’t impact the final scenes much if he dies

Everyone else who served the lord of light (and granted Jon wasnt actively preaching he was a servant, but the LOL did bring him back!) died once they're purpose was filled. Jon living makes no **** sense unless it's that he sits the throne.
...or his purpose was to kill the mad queen, which he fulfilled. They set it up perfectly then totally dropped the ball Boogs style with what took place after.
Yeah that's what i mean, him living, not really playing a major role in the death of winter would set up an arc about what the LoL wants from him... then boom, its clear, he's there to kill Dany... kills her and surrenders meekly to the unsullied to met his fate.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: May 22, 2019, 3:16 pm

Yeah that's what i mean, him living, not really playing a major role in the death of winter would set up an arc about what the LoL wants from him... then boom, its clear, he's there to kill Dany... kills her and surrenders meekly to the unsullied to met his fate.
Or he kills her and then just crumbles away like a white walker.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: May 22, 2019, 3:09 pm
PigRickman wrote: May 22, 2019, 2:33 pm There is NO **** chance GRRM ends it this way. No chance... maybe Bran sits the throne in the end, but this ending cant be what GRRM had in mind for these characters.

The only thing im sure of is that we get Mad Dany. The rest? Who **** knows.
But he's told us that it is. He's told us that he'd told the makers of the show how it ended and the books would basically end the same way. There is no doubt there would be different details... better explanations and motivations.

Anyway, I doubt that anyone will be the wiser to any alternative as the books are never being completed.
We have no idea the level of detail he gave them, based on the show it would appear that got cliff notes at best about a rough end... also GRRM is a human being, if this was his plan and he's seeing a bunch of his fans sitting there saying "this is ****, the ending for these character arcs are Bull" well he'd be a **** fool to just go steaming in with writing a slightly more fleshed out version of these story arcs..

either this was his plan and it sure as **** wont be now, or this is just the DD's version of his cliff notes... and his cliff notes could have just been "jon's parentage is Lyanna and Rhegal, Dany gets to Westeros and goes mad queen on KL, Bran sits the Iron Throne"
There is 10000000 different ways to get to those endings, and the show took a **** way to get there

I VERY much doubt GRRM sat down and was like "look, Jon ends back on the wall exiled after killing dany, the dothraki resettle in westeros, the unsullied are off to Naath, Sansa is queen of independent North, Jamie **** Brienne and then ****'s his way back to Cercesi and they die in the red keep under some falling rubble, the Clegenes end by diving into dragon fire, Arya goes to Wester-Westeros as a pirate, Brienne is the commander of the kings guard, finishes jamie's page... blah blah blah"

Like i just dont believe GRRM even now knows how he's ending those story arcs now, least of all 6 years ago, or they've changed in that time.
I think he probably knows how Dany and Jon's relationship is resolved, and maybe if he's decided Bran sits on the throne and that's what the DD's knew and the path they took there and the finalising of other arcs were totally up to them.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: May 22, 2019, 3:18 pm
PigRickman wrote: May 22, 2019, 3:16 pm

Or he kills her and then just crumbles away like a white walker.
Have to go by the series and not the books here. Beric got killed in battle saving Arya, who was to kill the NK. He'd been resurrected same as Jon Snow so that's the best comparison. Melisandre withered away afterfulfilling her destiny but she had not been resurrected. She had been magically maintained beyond her natural life.

So i'm with PRickman here. Jon needed to die after that, most likely kille dby Greyworm. But it needed to be referenced that he'd fulfilled his purpose for the LoL otherwise that aspect could be overlooked by viewers at the time. Easy solution is Arya makes a statement about it afterwards. She would be one of the few left who understands that part.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

So I re-watched the finale, had some time to think, and I have some newish ideas. Sure, they’re just ideas because they aren’t properly articulated in the ep, and because of the time jump, but here we go.

With the Dothraki and why they didn’t go after Jon for killing Dany, I still think it’s because they don’t really care. Dothraki in this show have proven to not have loyalty towards a particular Khal. They ditched Drogo because he fell off a horse. These guys follow Strength, so I’m thinking that scene with them at the dock was them going home, not assimilating. So the new Khal May have made a deal to collect a ship and head home to warmer pastures.

With the Unsullied, and why they didn’t avenge Dany, I think it was mentioned here already, but maybe it’s because these guys have been brutally trained to follow orders and never make an independent decision. So when the opportunity arose to decide what to do with Jon, it may not have occurred to them that they could have a say in what to do with him. Greyworm may have felt compelled to wait for a decision to be made.

Why other regions didn’t declare independence, it’s probably in their best interests to all align and aide each other. The north is a different kettle of fish, they can be relatively self-sustainable. Maybe the other regions felt they would prefer to at least try this new way of ruling, before deciding if they wanted to declare independence as well.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Good points.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

i dont think you should have to re-watch the show and jump through hoops and engage in logical gymnastics to make sense of a series finale.
If they want to tell those stories, then tell them. They didnt we can theorise how and why all we like and some of them make more sense than others, but the simple fact is a good finale wouldnt leave these sorts of wide open questions unanswered
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote:i dont think you should have to re-watch the show and jump through hoops and engage in logical gymnastics to make sense of a series finale.
If they want to tell those stories, then tell them. They didnt we can theorise how and why all we like and some of them make more sense than others, but the simple fact is a good finale wouldnt leave these sorts of wide open questions unanswered
Yep, it’s just like the latest Star Wars movies, the Last Jedi especially. You shouldn’t have to make excuses for poor writing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Perhaps it is just limited imagination as to how to fill in the things not said?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Fair assessment by Fui and can't argue with it. Piggles is also 100% correct that we should not have to rewatch and analyse extensively to make sense of it. I seriously doubt the scriptwriters even considered those explanations because it would have been incredibly easy to drop in a couple of lines of dialogue for the audience to understand it all.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: May 22, 2019, 9:26 pm Perhaps it is just limited imagination as to how to fill in the things not said?
Something that hasn't been a problem through previous season so why is it that we now have use our imaginations to make sense of what's happening?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: May 22, 2019, 9:30 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 22, 2019, 9:26 pm Perhaps it is just limited imagination as to how to fill in the things not said?
Something that hasn't been a problem through precious season so why is it that we now have use our imaginations to make sense of what's happening?
I'm not sure that's true. There are a zillion theories about what everything means and what is going to happen next right from season one.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: May 22, 2019, 9:32 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 22, 2019, 9:30 pm
Something that hasn't been a problem through precious season so why is it that we now have use our imaginations to make sense of what's happening?
I'm not sure that's true. There are a zillion theories about what everything means and what is going to happen next right from season one.
Yeah and they were all either proven true or false as the story played out, theorising and speculating where the story may go in the middle of the story is WILDY different to this. The story is over now though, it's been told, there is nothing more coming... so this is the story now where previously the quality of the writing and story made sure to tie off loose ends and tell the stories they wanted to, now you're telling us we're supposed to use our imagination to dream up explanations for plot holes?

Haha that's ridiculous.
The DD's told their story, and if you want to fill in the gaps with some imaginary fan fiction, then cool, but good writing and story telling, the likes of which they had when there was source material, wouldnt leave this kind of thing ambiguous
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Why is it ridiculous? You're all re-writing what happened. Things which are not what the author wanted. So... why not write it to satisfy your desires about the motivations and details and achieve the key outcomes of the story that the author wants?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Theorising about what will happen next is very different from trying to make sense of what did happen when everything has finished.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

We're not re-writing anything. Haha.

The DD's and the Game of Thrones show has told this story. It is what it is, if you want to excuse the plot holes and lazy writing with some fan fiction, that's up to you. But this show has never made us guess at the motivations or outcomes of the story or characters until this final 2 seasons, and now that the story has ended and there is ZERO chance for them to tie these loose ends off.

I mean i can sit here and say "Maybe the Dothraki decided to settle in Westeros because they were given the Lannisport and all their surrounds, also they all got training in the ways of the realm by maesters and now speak the common tougue as well as any, they've also secured a pact with the other great lords that after Bran the Broken dies, their Khal gets next crack at the throne"

that might make me feel better about the Dothraki questions but that's just me trying to make up for bad and lazy storytelling and writing. The story is the story and if you want to pretend that the Dothraki found a new Khal and that Khal struck some deal to keep them settled in Westeros, that's fine, but the show didnt tell that story and their story is over, so they wont be telling that story. If they wanted to, they could have.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I'm catching up as I've been away and so am a bit behind. Just finished ep 5. Honestly, I can't see what all the fuss is about. Yeah there were a few sudden character arc shifts that were probably not that well explored / explained, but by gosh it was entertaining. Really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the finale.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PigRickman wrote: May 22, 2019, 12:49 pm Here's how it should play out... Jon kills Dany, confesses, and Grey Worm executes him in front of all his men and the Dothraki

Dothraki blood riders commit suicide as per their traditional norms, and the khalasar, now needing a new Khal and having just had the queen declare Wormy the Master of War, and now somewhat accustom to nontraditional Khals, gravitate to Grey Worm.

Now Jon is dead and Tyrion is still captive, but since his crime was minor treason and not regicide, he elects to use Tyrion as a bargining chip. There is nothing left for them here in this land, their queen is gone and they dont want to be settled in Westeros... a trade, enough ships for the unsullied and khalasar to sail back East and continue Dany's mission to free slaves, or they execute Tyrion and you can take this city over their dead bodies... boom, the unsullied get justice, get a logical exit, Tyrion gets a logical reason to survive and Jon gets a more logical conclusion.

(BTW, Davos offering up settlement for the unsullied is just insane... does he not understand what the unsullied are? Their house will last, what? 60 years and then they'll all die out haha. **** me, what a debacle)
Re-writing what happened. :o :shock: :lol: :roll: ;)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PigRickman wrote: May 22, 2019, 9:52 pm We're not re-writing anything. Haha.

The DD's and the Game of Thrones show has told this story. It is what it is, if you want to excuse the plot holes and lazy writing with some fan fiction, that's up to you. But this show has never made us guess at the motivations or outcomes of the story or characters until this final 2 seasons, and now that the story has ended and there is ZERO chance for them to tie these loose ends off.

I mean i can sit here and say "Maybe the Dothraki decided to settle in Westeros because they were given the Lannisport and all their surrounds, also they all got training in the ways of the realm by maesters and now speak the common tougue as well as any, they've also secured a pact with the other great lords that after Bran the Broken dies, their Khal gets next crack at the throne"

that might make me feel better about the Dothraki questions but that's just me trying to make up for bad and lazy storytelling and writing. The story is the story and if you want to pretend that the Dothraki found a new Khal and that Khal struck some deal to keep them settled in Westeros, that's fine, but the show didnt tell that story and their story is over, so they wont be telling that story. If they wanted to, they could have.
I'm not excusing any holes in the plot. But let's face it... there have been a LOT of things in the plot that stetch credulity... like Dragons being born in an inferno and a woman emerging from it? And suddenly... "this" or "that" doesn't stack up?! :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Nobody really felt the need to re-write anything until this last season. Reason being the writing has been sub par, particularly in closure.

Weiss and Benioff have proven to be outstanding screenwriters when working from quality source material. Prime exhibit is the unparalleled popularity of the series. They have also show to be very average screenwriters when left to their own devices. Massive increase in production budgets for recent seasons painted over many cracks but that started to wear out as we got closer to the end.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The perfect ending would have been Jon wandering into the woods with the wildlings.... And out pops a White Walker. Bam! Series over.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I like it! Especially if it stabs him in the neck.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: May 22, 2019, 10:03 pm
PigRickman wrote: May 22, 2019, 12:49 pm Here's how it should play out... Jon kills Dany, confesses, and Grey Worm executes him in front of all his men and the Dothraki

Dothraki blood riders commit suicide as per their traditional norms, and the khalasar, now needing a new Khal and having just had the queen declare Wormy the Master of War, and now somewhat accustom to nontraditional Khals, gravitate to Grey Worm.

Now Jon is dead and Tyrion is still captive, but since his crime was minor treason and not regicide, he elects to use Tyrion as a bargining chip. There is nothing left for them here in this land, their queen is gone and they dont want to be settled in Westeros... a trade, enough ships for the unsullied and khalasar to sail back East and continue Dany's mission to free slaves, or they execute Tyrion and you can take this city over their dead bodies... boom, the unsullied get justice, get a logical exit, Tyrion gets a logical reason to survive and Jon gets a more logical conclusion.

(BTW, Davos offering up settlement for the unsullied is just insane... does he not understand what the unsullied are? Their house will last, what? 60 years and then they'll all die out haha. **** me, what a debacle)
My god, you poor fool. That’s not the-writing what happened! Haha **** me that that’s just obscene levels of dumb

“Here’s how it should play out” is the first **** words! It’s offering an alternate version that would have closed off the plot holes better.

**** hell hahah
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: May 22, 2019, 10:07 pm
PigRickman wrote: May 22, 2019, 9:52 pm We're not re-writing anything. Haha.

I'm not excusing any holes in the plot. But let's face it... there have been a LOT of things in the plot that stetch credulity... like Dragons being born in an inferno and a woman emerging from it? And suddenly... "this" or "that" doesn't stack up?! :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
Haha this cant be serious? Do you honestly not get this?

No one is saying the show is **** realistic! It’s a fantasy story haha
We’re saying the ending DD’s had for the characters in this story didn’t make sense and trying to make sense of them by imagining things that the show didn’t offer up is a cop out

No one is saying dragons stack up, this is fantasy. We’re saying the ending this show gave us doesn’t stack up in the context of the story and the show we were giving for 8 seasons.

Christ on a bike
Ol Fergus is going to wake up with one hell of a hang over today!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Game of Thrones Season 8 *Spoilers*

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:Why is it ridiculous? You're all re-writing what happened. Things which are not what the author wanted. So... why not write it to satisfy your desires about the motivations and details and achieve the key outcomes of the story that the author wants?
You see, this is where you’re wrong, horribly wrong. The author wanted thirteen seasons to properly tell his story, D&D wanted seven.

After five seasons he was still saying ten, they were saying seven, so they compromised with eight, and the last two were truncated. So there’s no WAY they properly told his story or fleshed out any of the details or anything like that. There’s SO MANY plot elements they’ve left out, and it just seems like a shell of a story now.

In reality, you could’ve done ten seasons, with 8 being the fight vs the white walkers (and we find out all about them), 9 being the rebuilding from the battle with the dead leading up to the fight for King’s Landing (ending with the Mad Queen), and 10 being the final series that wraps it all up. We have Mad Queen Dany, she starts to try and branch out, finally gets taken down and then the unsullied and Dothraki are dealt with, and we get a reasonable conclusion to the story and every storyline

Last edited by The Nickman on May 23, 2019, 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote:
greeneyed wrote: May 22, 2019, 10:07 pm I'm not excusing any holes in the plot. But let's face it... there have been a LOT of things in the plot that stetch credulity... like Dragons being born in an inferno and a woman emerging from it? And suddenly... "this" or "that" doesn't stack up?! :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
Haha this cant be serious? Do you honestly not get this?

No one is saying the show is **** realistic! It’s a fantasy story haha
We’re saying the ending DD’s had for the characters in this story didn’t make sense and trying to make sense of them by imagining things that the show didn’t offer up is a cop out

No one is saying dragons stack up, this is fantasy. We’re saying the ending this show gave us doesn’t stack up in the context of the story and the show we were giving for 8 seasons.

Christ on a bike
Ol Fergus is going to wake up with one hell of a hang over today!
Yeah, this is an absolutely ridiculous argument, and it’s one people use about Star Wars all the time “it’s a series about space wizards, it doesn’t have to make sense!”

Well, actually it does. In the case of Game of Thrones, dragons and Targaryens and magic are all lore, they’ve been established in the canon, they’re rules of the world as we know it. What isn’t established and “breaks” the lore is things like why the Dothraki and Unsullied didn’t kill Jon after he murdered their Queen, why they happily hung around King’s Landing afterwards and even looked to assimilate with the people they’d just finished murdering and pillaging, why Bran all of a sudden wanted the Iron Throne after showing no ambition as the 3ER, why the other kingdoms didn’t mind a Stark being installed as Ruler and the North seceding, why Highgarden and Storm’s End were happy to just have their castles handed over to nobodies etc etc etc

You can’t just say “urrr, but there’s dragons, so none of this needs to make any sense!” as an excuse for awful writing, it’s extremely disingenuous to do so.

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

A fantasy story of course must contain fantastic elements. The audience will be more willing to go along for the ride and suspend disbelief if the world created displays verisimilitude - as distinct from reality.

Without verisimilitude you can create an absurd story, or a surreal story (ala Lewis Carrol)- but you're no longer creating a story you're asking people to follow logically.

When people complain about "realism" in a gritty fantasy like GOT, instead of being pedantic- realise they mean verisimilitude and move on from there.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The two posts above far better cover it than i did.
Specifically with the Dothraki, everyone knows they dont exist, there isnt a maurading brood of mongolian style horsemen in today's world, but that cant be an excuse to just be like "well the Dothraki dont exist so they dont need to make sense"

the dothraki do exist in this world and the story and they have always adhered to certain rules and customs in this world, you can have them deviate from that if you want, but you have to tell the story of how and why, as they did with the Dothraki agreeing to Dany as their Khal to begin with. It was a deviation but one told and explained through the story.

So you can believe the Dothraki to be be perfectly fine with their Khal being murdered, and being resettled in Westeros without just roaming the realm and causing choas as they did in Essos, but if you want the wider fan base to accept this, you have tell the story of how and why they came about.
And it rings true across a number of plot holes in the final 2 seasons. They just didnt do a good job of telling those stories
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Game of Thrones Season 8 *Spoilers*

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

The Rickman wrote:In reality, you could’ve done ten seasons, with 8 being the fight vs the white walkers (and we find out all about them), 9 being the rebuilding from the battle with the dead leading up to the fight for King’s Landing (ending with the Mad Queen), and 10 being the final series that wraps it all up. We have Mad Queen Dany, she starts to try and branch out, finally gets taken down and then the unsullied and Dothraki are dealt with, and we get a reasonable conclusion to the story and every storyline
I said this to Mrs Fui last night. 10 seasons would have been good
S08: Taking care of the NK
S09: Rebuild, and prepping to take care of Cersei. Final ep would be ep5 from this season
S10: Westeros realising what happened, regrouping and working to take out Dany in the 2nd last ep. Last ep basically being what happened in that time jump (Including Dothraki and Unsullied) the council etc.

It would have been the right amount of time to get the story right.

As for the compromise with 8 seasons, it wasn’t even. It was 7 seasons, with the 7th being split into two. Remember the 7th season was shortened as well
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The unsullied is another good example. I get people could say "well they're mindless killing machines who just follow orders" and that's true, except Grey Worm gives them their orders.
Now Grey Worm is Unsullied too, but you've spent 3 seasons developing his character beyond a mindless killing machine who cant operate without orders. The story tellers gave him humanity, they developed him as someone that had grown beyond the Unsullied mentality, he had real human feelings and emotions, just in the last episode he sees Dany start seeking revenge and he makes his own decision, independent of hers (she never instructed him to do what he did in KL, in fact her orders were expressly made clear that he was to stop when the Bells rung) to seek his own revenge.

So you the excuse cant be now "well he's unsullied and he doesnt have anyone giving him a direct order, He doesnt think independently so he does nothing without a direct order", that's going again the canon you established only a single episode ago.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PigRickman wrote: May 23, 2019, 6:55 am
greeneyed wrote: May 22, 2019, 10:03 pm

My god, you poor fool. That’s not the-writing what happened! Haha **** me that that’s just obscene levels of dumb

“Here’s how it should play out” is the first **** words! It’s offering an alternate version that would have closed off the plot holes better.

**** hell hahah
Otherwise known as... re-writing the end! :roflmao
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

There is a clear fundamental difference between taking plot holes in the show and explaining them with things that never happened and were never suggested, vs offering up alternate options of that ending which would avoided the plot holes that are creating issues.

If you cant understand that, there is nothing more to be said here
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
The Rickman wrote:In reality, you could’ve done ten seasons, with 8 being the fight vs the white walkers (and we find out all about them), 9 being the rebuilding from the battle with the dead leading up to the fight for King’s Landing (ending with the Mad Queen), and 10 being the final series that wraps it all up. We have Mad Queen Dany, she starts to try and branch out, finally gets taken down and then the unsullied and Dothraki are dealt with, and we get a reasonable conclusion to the story and every storyline
I said this to Mrs Fui last night. 10 seasons would have been good
S08: Taking care of the NK
S09: Rebuild, and prepping to take care of Cersei. Final ep would be ep5 from this season
S10: Westeros realising what happened, regrouping and working to take out Dany in the 2nd last ep. Last ep basically being what happened in that time jump (Including Dothraki and Unsullied) the council etc.

It would have been the right amount of time to get the story right.

As for the compromise with 8 seasons, it wasn’t even. It was 7 seasons, with the 7th being split into two. Remember the 7th season was shortened as well
Yeah, that’s who I heard it from... Mrs Fui ;)