Roosters 13+
25%

Total votes: 12

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by The Nickman »

And the fact you refer to your own “evidence” as “pretty solid anecdotal evidence” is pretty laughable too, m8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by pickles »

There are plenty of howlers from NRL referees. Like when the storm player stood on the side line when getting up to play the ball against the sharks a few weeks ago or when a manly player was clearly run off the ball by a defender at the end of their game the week before they played us (although this is one of the most inconsistently applied rules in the game).

One a personal level I have to agree with rickman on this one. Whether true or not there is zero benefit in believing there is a conspiracy by the NRL and referees against the raiders or that they are seriously more impacted by refereeing decisions than any other team.

At the end of the day supporting a team is entertainment and if you find that watching the NRL makes you angry more than it makes you feel happy then maybe you should find a different hobby.

If you focus on the things the raiders could have done better in any game there are always plenty and I want the team to be focussed on what they can control in terms of winning games rather than giving all the power over results to refs.

It really does add to the enjoyment of the game to stop blaming everything else for results!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Agreed Pickles. Thankfully the coach, and squad has moved on from blaming the ref for losses, maybe as a collective fanbase we should try to be better and as I noted the best teams have the proper mentality to overcome it. Note: I think there is a difference between blaming a decision for a loss and actually (and objectively) discussing various decisions.

Just on 1 of the howlers you mention... where Ado-Carr was called out. I understand that is the rule but it must be the dumbest rule in the rulebook. Why are you able to step out of play when getting up to play the ball? It doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

pickles wrote:There are plenty of howlers from NRL referees. Like when the storm player stood on the side line when getting up to play the ball against the sharks a few weeks ago or when a manly player was clearly run off the ball by a defender at the end of their game the week before they played us (although this is one of the most inconsistently applied rules in the game).

One a personal level I have to agree with rickman on this one. Whether true or not there is zero benefit in believing there is a conspiracy by the NRL and referees against the raiders or that they are seriously more impacted by refereeing decisions than any other team.

At the end of the day supporting a team is entertainment and if you find that watching the NRL makes you angry more than it makes you feel happy then maybe you should find a different hobby.

If you focus on the things the raiders could have done better in any game there are always plenty and I want the team to be focussed on what they can control in terms of winning games rather than giving all the power over results to refs.

It really does add to the enjoyment of the game to stop blaming everything else for results!
Yeah, but you have to prove it for gangers to accept it, pick. It’s all well and good to think that the refereeing evens out over time, but at least you can disprove gangers’ anecdotal evidence and gut feels then you don’t know what you’re talking about!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: Just on 1 of the howlers you mention... where Ado-Carr was called out. I understand that is the rule but it must be the dumbest rule in the rulebook. Why are you able to step out of play when getting up to play the ball? It doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Yeah, I’m 100% down with that too, Gerg. I know it’s a rule, and it’s always been a rule apparently, but it’s **** stupid and should be changed.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

pickles wrote: If you focus on the things the raiders could have done better in any game there are always plenty and I want the team to be focussed on what they can control in terms of winning games rather than giving all the power over results to refs.

And this is my whole point exactly, pick. In every game there’s literally DOZENS of times your team could be better and it would’ve changed the result. And attitude is a HUGE part of this, as evidenced by this season vs 2017/18.

When the team plays well, as they have been this year, suddenly the refereeing errors just magically disappear.

And it’s no coincidence to me that the weeks this year where we’ve had the loudest roar from the fan base regarding “refereeing bias” have both been after the Manly and Roosters losses. Two games we were well within our rights to win too, REGARDLESS of the referees.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Rickman wrote:
gergreg wrote: Just on 1 of the howlers you mention... where Ado-Carr was called out. I understand that is the rule but it must be the dumbest rule in the rulebook. Why are you able to step out of play when getting up to play the ball? It doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Yeah, I’m 100% down with that too, Gerg. I know it’s a rule, and it’s always been a rule apparently, but it’s **** stupid and should be changed.

I can't think of any other time in the game where you can place your foot out of play and still be regarded as being in play - but 'vaguely' there is something about inconsistency with touching a ball out of play on the sideline, compared to the in goal.

Edit - I think if you stand outside of the field of play on the sideline and catch the ball before it has touched the ground your are considered to have taken the ball out of play, whereas the opposite is the case in the in goal. I'd like to see a consistent rule (either way) for these two instances.
Last edited by gerg on May 18, 2019, 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

It’s just a stupid rule interpretation and it should be changed. They change rules all the time, why not fix this one?

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I'm not here to spruik any anti-Raiders refereeing conspiracy theories, I'm just here representing the anti-Gerard Sutton club. The bloke stinks.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Raiders_Pat wrote:I'm not here to spruik any anti-Raiders refereeing conspiracy theories, I'm just here representing the anti-Gerard Sutton club. The bloke stinks.
He’s a terrible referee, I don’t think anybody disputes that fact, across ALL fanbases. The debate here is whether he costs the raiders more games because he hates us or whether he’s just generally incompetent and you just notice his errors more when your team is losing more than they’re winning (please refer to 2017-18)

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

This is akin to trying to convince a deeply religious man that god doesn’t exist
He’s never going to believe you and he’s going to point to this “irrefutable” evidence that is definitely refutable but not to him.

I challenge gangers and co to head to LU, and post a thread in every team forum there, asking to highlight games they’ve lost due to howlers
And there are three things I can guarantee

1. All 15 clubs, INCLUDING THE BRONCOS! will be able to name at least four games they feel they lost due to 100/0 decisions

2. Some Raiders wins will feature in those responses

3. Your interpretation of most of those calls and how egregious these howlers were will differ from them.

This is literally every fan base in sports. Every single one. We’re not different
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

The Rickman wrote:
pickles wrote:There are plenty of howlers from NRL referees. Like when the storm player stood on the side line when getting up to play the ball against the sharks a few weeks ago or when a manly player was clearly run off the ball by a defender at the end of their game the week before they played us (although this is one of the most inconsistently applied rules in the game).

Yeah, but you have to prove it for gangers to accept it, pick. It’s all well and good to think that the refereeing evens out over time, but at least you can disprove gangers’ anecdotal evidence and gut feels then you don’t know what you’re talking about!

You’ve missed my point completely. It doesn’t actually matter whether or not it evens out over the long term. Even if there is bias it is completely damaging to your enjoyment of the sport to believe that it disproportionately impacts the outcome of games.

Proof isn’t required, it’s a conscious decision to focus on other elements of the game that a team can control rather than the random elements you can’t.

If I genuinely believed that the raiders had no chance at success due to bias then I would stop watching league completely, there just wouldn’t be any point!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

pickles wrote:
The Rickman wrote:

You’ve missed my point completely. It doesn’t actually matter whether or not it evens out over the long term. Even if there is bias it is completely damaging to your enjoyment of the sport to believe that it disproportionately impacts the outcome of games.

Proof isn’t required, it’s a conscious decision to focus on other elements of the game that a team can control rather than the random elements you can’t.

If I genuinely believed that the raiders had no chance at success due to bias then I would stop watching league completely, there just wouldn’t be any point!
I think I addressed your point in my next post, pick

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote:This is akin to trying to convince a deeply religious man that god doesn’t exist
He’s never going to believe you and he’s going to point to this “irrefutable” evidence that is definitely refutable but not to him.

I challenge gangers and co to head to LU, and post a thread in every team forum there, asking to highlight games they’ve lost due to howlers

1. All 15 clubs, INCLUDING THE BRONCOS! will be able to name at least four games they feel they lost due to 100/0 decisions

3. Your interpretation of most of those calls and how egregious these howlers were will differ from them.

This is literally every fan base in sports. Every single one. We’re not different
Hey Nock, you’re a bigwig over at LU (I’ve never even been there and frankly, it scares me). How about YOU make the thread (start it off with “settle a debate for me”) and then report back here in a few days with the findings?

I’m intrigued to see how this plays out, but I predict that you’re going to be spot on here

pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

The Rickman wrote:

Would be interesting to know the history of the rule. My guess would be it is because from when the tackle is complete until when it is played the ball isn’t in play so can’t be out.

Either way it’s an odd rule
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: May 18, 2019, 11:41 am
PigRickman wrote:This is akin to trying to convince a deeply religious man that god doesn’t exist

Hey Nock, you’re a bigwig over at LU (I’ve never even been there and frankly, it scares me). How about YOU make the thread (start it off with “settle a debate for me”) and then report back here in a few days with the findings?

I’m intrigued to see how this plays out, but I predict that you’re going to be spot on here

I engage in game day threads there
I see this **** first hand every game haha

I don’t feel any pressure to justify it, it’s a suggestion for the tin foil hat brigade to engage in if they’d like challenge their own thinking

I used to be someone who though we were hard done by, and then engaging in a place like LU where a bunch of neutral fans are like “what the **** are you talking about?” And then you hit those same ***** with the “what the **** are you talking about?” in their game day threads.

And suddenly it clicks that we’re all pulling the same gambit and if I think all 15 other bases are off their tree, it’s probably fair to say I am too. So I just stopped doing it, I stopped actively looking for reasons why the raiders are getting screwed and all of a sudden I noticed that we actually don’t get screwed anymore than anyone else!
It was incredible how quickly it happened
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by The Nickman »

Haha yep, exactly the same as how is happened with me, as I mentioned previously

And now, instead of bemoaning the referee I can say to myself “dammit, why did we kick for goal when down by six” or ”if only Cotric had passed those few seconds earlier and backwards”, and it really is a better feeling

It’s a bit like conspiracy theorists, they like to believe there’s a greater machine at work, basically their life sucks because of someone else’s fault. It’s the same here... it’s not our team that sucks, it’s the NRL, it’s the referees that are the problem!

And then all of a sudden, along comes 2019 and a new attitude. The team is playing with a defensive mindset, they’re now showing up switched on and ready to play, and all of a sudden... all of a sudden... the referees aren’t so bad anymore

(Except for in the Manly and Roosters games of course)

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I like to think I'm fairly objective watching the games. I like to question/discuss refereeing decisions even when the Raiders aren't playing. There are a few teams I dislike more than others but I'm still able to question decisions that go against them.

I've said it repeatedly but all I'd like is consistency in all facets of the game. I do note that Greenberg actually came out and ridiculed people asking for consistency because every scenario is different. I can accept that as it is but IMO that is a result of too many grey areas in the game. The game likes to overcomplicate itself by showing favouritism to particular players and clubs. I know that you two cannot accept that but it clearly has happened. For example Terry Campese getting sinbinned for backchat and swearing at the ref, and Thurston gets off with absolutely nothing for swearing at a ref and basically accusing him of cheating.

Now coming back around if the CEO to say there will never be consistency in the game is a total cop out. He should be actively trying to stamp out those grey areas IMO.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

It’s simple. If the Raiders receive benefit from as many howlers as they cop. Then it should be just as easy for you to name some of them as it was for me. If you cannot, then you have to consider the possibility that the Raiders actually do cop it.

Pigman says my anecdotal howlers are refutable? Refute them then.

Any mention of other teams copping howlers in non-Raiders games is completely missing the point. Of course other teams cop howlers, of course other teams fans will complain about them. Howlers in games not involving the Raiders do nothing to prove that the Raiders do or not have a balanced number of poor decisions for or against them.

What is it about refereeing that means that we should expect the decisions to even out fairly? Why don’t you ask LU posters whether Broncos receive as many poor decisions for as against? I reckon I know what answer you’ll get. If they’re winning, somebody is losing. It’s a zero sum game.

I absolutely agree that there’s no point for the team to dwell on it. It is what it is and complaining to the NRL won’t change things. But I’m a fan making observations. I’m not running the team. Why on earth does it matter if I discuss it?

Anyway that’s my opinion. We’ll clearly never agree. Plus you can’t even engage with what my actual argument is. Just appeal to some sense that professional sport refereeing has to even out like some natural force. That pigman seems to accept that the NRL views some teams as second tier and thinks that doesn’t flow into other areas...
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I think they do try and get consistency with what they want by having KPIs in place. That makes sense but also means decision making can't be truly objective.

What would be good to know was what the KPIs are and a clear view of how they are tracking.

Or perhaps they just trust it's swings and roundabouts.
Last edited by edwahu on May 18, 2019, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The Rickman wrote: May 18, 2019, 6:34 am Haha just saw this on Facebook. A panthers fan talking about their loss last night to the Warriors

Sound familiar?

Without wanting to get too involved in this pissing match I'm pretty sure that's satire.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: May 18, 2019, 1:09 pm I like to think I'm fairly objective watching the games. I like to question/discuss refereeing decisions even when the Raiders aren't playing. There are a few teams I dislike more than others but I'm still able to question decisions that go against them.

I've said it repeatedly but all I'd like is consistency in all facets of the game. I do note that Greenberg actually came out and ridiculed people asking for consistency because every scenario is different. I can accept that as it is but IMO that is a result of too many grey areas in the game. The game likes to overcomplicate itself by showing favouritism to particular players and clubs. I know that you two cannot accept that but it clearly has happened. For example Terry Campese getting sinbinned for backchat and swearing at the ref, and Thurston gets off with absolutely nothing for swearing at a ref and basically accusing him of cheating.

Now coming back around if the CEO to say there will never be consistency in the game is a total cop out. He should be actively trying to stamp out those grey areas IMO.

Very reasonable view.

We've got to the point where some posters are shouting down anyone who questions a refereeing decision or questions refereeing standards. I personally think that it is entirely reasonable for fans to point out officiating errors or when referees don't perform.

I don't think it is a good thing for the club to focus on refereeing errors/performances, make public criticisms of referees... or blame losses on the refereeing. That's counterproductive... officiating is something outside the club's/players' control, using officiating as an excuse shifts accountability from their own performance - and it is better to focus on improving things that are in the control of club/players. Public criticism of officials... that's proven to be an even worse strategy, as it just generates bad will.

But I don't see why commentators on the game, including fans, shouldn't analyse and constructively criticise the officiating. The officials are not above criticism.

I'd also point out that when I talk about unrecognised or unconscious bias in officiating... well that's not a conspiracy theory, tin foil hat-ism. It is a phenomenon that is well accepted and proven in respected psychological studies. It is something that has probably adversely affected the Raiders for 20 years - as well as other teams that are not "star" clubs or don't have "star" athletes. I think that if the referees became more self aware and trained in recognising and avoiding their unrecognised biases, it would improve refereeing standards. Given they're not... the only way the way the Raiders are going to be a club that is not affected by it... is to "become a star club"... and get the benefit of the "star effect".
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I agree with you GE.

And following on from my previous post what I find interesting is the interpretation between clubs. I asked you in the NRL gameday thread whether Annesley had mentioned/targetted the Roosters last week because it certainly seemed that way at the start of last night's game.
The Roosters are traditionally a heavily penalised side but this is one thing that irks me a little with Annesley calling out particular sides. I mean it's good to call sides out for pushing the envelope but it only benefits the opposition the following week. Whereas the Roosters are penalised as it happens other sides are given a little leeway until Annesley calls it out and the referees react to it the following week.
It's a little like the argument around acts of serious foul play. Between a player being sent off or suspended and how that decision ultimately affects the teams involved (this week and next).

Annesley has been calling out sides that slow the ruck and he's talking in the 3 to 4 second range as being unacceptable. Surely a billion dollar game can come up with some sort of device to help the referees out with this. They could easily come up with some sort of hand held timer that they press when held is called, or the player hits the ground, and then a simple alarm goes off in their hand after 3 seconds. If we want better, more consistent referees they need help. It doesn't take much to see that it is a bloody tough job, highlighted by Pigmans point about all teams fan base feeling ripped off. Instead of Greenberg shrugging off consistency as being unachievable he should be working with the referees to make it more a reality than it currently is. We should be looking to improve every aspect of the game, not just accepting things the way they are.

This goes as much for FTA exposure and TPAs.

KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

If you want to win games you have to be better than bad refereeing decisions.

That’s it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

KingDynamite wrote: May 18, 2019, 2:03 pm If you want to win games you have to be better than bad refereeing decisions.

That’s it.
That’s what the club needs to focus on, yes.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: May 18, 2019, 2:30 pm
KingDynamite wrote: May 18, 2019, 2:03 pm If you want to win games you have to be better than bad refereeing decisions.

That’s it.
That’s what the club needs to focus on, yes.
The club seems to be focused on this these days which is great, we haven't seen Stuart blowing up about refereeing like he did in the past.

And just on the unconscious bias thing, that's what does my head in about Gerard Sutton. He's by far the least self aware of the lot. I don't have a problem with any of the other referees tbh. Yes, there are others who I think aren't great referees but he's the only one I have an issue with watching. I watch a fair few games outside of the Raiders, probably about half the games over the weekend, and every time I've felt a game was becoming unejoyable to watch due to nonsensical calls I check the match officials for the game and look who it is. **** Gerard Sutton! Every time, I swear. The only thing that gives me comfort is the fact that I'm not the only one who feels this way. I get a little feeling of relief every time I see a Harrigan or a Paul Kent flaming him in the media... every time I see coaches going ballistic and seeing him or his fool of a brother having to defend one of his mindboggling decisions.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

KingDynamite wrote:If you want to win games you have to be better than bad refereeing decisions.

That’s it.
And at the end of the day, that’s all that matters

This post trumps the paragraphs and paragraphs of garbage I’ve had to read from people who simply should know better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: May 18, 2019, 1:33 pm \We've got to the point where some posters are shouting down anyone who questions a refereeing decision or questions refereeing standards. I personally think that it is entirely reasonable for fans to point out officiating errors or when referees don't perform.
Ahh all the classics are coming out now...
GE, this a forum, not a pub. You cant raise a voice or talk over anyone on a forum. Every gets to post their opinions and thoughts without interruption haha.
Christ.

This is your classic go to move. Gangers has his strawman, and you have shouting down.
Dubious claims with little to no real supporting evidence of the Raiders being unfairly targeted are being rigorously disputed and that doesnt equate to a shouting down any more than the constant the repetitive nonsense on your side of the argument is shouting down this side. Get a grip, man. Jesus.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Far out there have been some long posts in this thread. If you need 15 paragraphs to try and justify your point, best to reconsider
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote:Far out there have been some long posts in this thread. If you need 15 paragraphs to try and justify your point, best to reconsider
Hahaha that’s always been my thoughts too. I can get my point across in one or two sentences usually.

If you need several long-winded paragraphs to make your point, then you’re probably just crapping on with ****.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Every game day thread seems to descend into Pigman taking on a bunch of conspiracy theorists about referees decisions. I don’t know how he maintains the good fight but I’m giving him the 3 points this week. The raiders had a great run with the ref including getting a goal line restart we shouldn’t have and getting 2 penalties when the Horse dropped it cold.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

A glowing endorsement Billy. Just in case we weren’t sure pigman had it wrong.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

You'll never be sure, Gangers.
You'll forever go through life pointing fingers and wondering why it's never fair and right... and you'll never understand the problem is you. It's always been you.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

don’t quit your day job