Joey Leilua cleared to return to training

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Re: Joey Leilua to have surgery and likely out for the season

Post by raiderskater »

Actually, I rather think it could work. Mitchell's a cocky, arrogant ****; he'll think he's home free, and then Oldy can pounce.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Re: Joey Leilua to have surgery and likely out for the season

Post by Rick »

I don’t want Oldfield at Centre for anymore then jut filling in for a couple of games. I was not impressed with how he went filling in for Croker there last year.

NC to centre, and Oldfield and Simonsen can fight it out for the wing spot outside of Croker.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Joey Leilua has successful surgery, but out for the season

Post by -TW- »

Wasn't he busted that game?

If so bit stiff to just him on a sample where he wasn't even fit

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Yeah he was injured and got crucified by the fans for his performance. Having said that though, it makes sense to have a big body like Cotric at centre and Oldfield in his natural position on the wing.

Best wishes to Joey in his recovery.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

How is this a thing? Cotric is a beast and will kill it at centre. Oldfield has proven to be a capable winger.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 11, 2019, 1:10 pm How is this a thing? Cotric is a beast and will kill it at centre. Oldfield has proven to be a capable winger.
It's a thing because Ric Dr Zauis, because Rick. It all makes perfect sense to us, but we are not privy to his masterplan.
BVRaider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Edrick Lee

Post by BVRaider »

That's devastating news for Leilua, hope he has a good recovery and gets to play his 200th for us in 2020. I agree with the Cotric to right centre idea, we've lost a genuine game breaker and Cotric has the potential to replace that. I think he also has the ability to develop in to a solid defensive centre with his size and footballing instincts. Oldfield is a dependable first grade winger and Simmonson is developing in to a reliable backup so whilst this is a bit of a blow our season is still on track for mine.
Last edited by BVRaider on May 11, 2019, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Huge loss... season on life support.. id be putting that pommy **** out in the centres to cover it hes the only **** that looks like things happen around and that elliot **** our halves are still ****.
This place is woke.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Q has been drinking again
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Q is a legend.

Love you, Q

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'Time to look after the man child': Girlfriend of NRL star Joey Leilua posts picture of him recovering in intensive care after crucial surgery on his neck

NRL star Joey Leilua remains in intensive care after undergoing neck surgery.

'Thanks be to God and glory to the highest. Joey's surgery went well thanks to everyone for their kind messages and prayers. We are now in ICU and will be out in the ward this week. Stay safe everyone. Time to look after the man child,' she wrote.

Read more: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -neck.html
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I know it's a bit early to speculate, but seeing as Cotric will possibly play the rest of the season in the centres, it might be hard to move him back to the wing if he excels there... particularly if he plays Origin there. It might just turn out to be his more natural position too.

What happens once Joey comes back if that's the case? Could Leilua possibly move to second row? I was once a fan of a Croker and Cotric switch but not sure if I'd want Croker on the wing anymore. A left edge of Whitehead, Croker and Simonsson, right edge of Leilua, Cotric and Rapana, with Papalii and Tapine at prop and Bateman at lock... it means Sutton would have to move to the interchange but that looks like a strong pack on paper, particularly when we've got Horsburgh, Young, Lui, Havili, etc. to fill out the remaining interchange spots. Add in Hodgo, Wighton, CNK and G Williams and that's looking like a very good team for 2020. Just some thoughts.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I dont want leilua having to make 25~ tackles a game. Hes just not that kind of fit
Dont delete this GE
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

simo wrote: May 21, 2019, 9:02 am I dont want leilua having to make 25~ tackles a game. Hes just not that kind of fit
That's true. Tbh I never would've suggested it in the past but his attitude towards his fitness and defence at the start of this season got me thinking it could be a possibility.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 21, 2019, 9:06 am
simo wrote: May 21, 2019, 9:02 am I dont want leilua having to make 25~ tackles a game. Hes just not that kind of fit
That's true. Tbh I never would've suggested it in the past but his attitude towards his fitness and defence at the start of this season got me thinking it could be a possibility.
With all due respect to croker, i rate bj higher. I hope form this year makes it a real head ache for ricky
Dont delete this GE
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

simo wrote: May 21, 2019, 9:14 am
With all due respect to croker, i rate bj higher. I hope form this year makes it a real head ache for ricky
Hypothetically speaking, would you have Cotric at left centre, Leilua right, with Croker on the left wing?
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

I don't think we need another second rower, we are pretty well covered with Bateman, Whitehead, Tapine and Young
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 21, 2019, 8:54 am I know it's a bit early to speculate, but seeing as Cotric will possibly play the rest of the season in the centres, it might be hard to move him back to the wing if he excels there... particularly if he plays Origin there. It might just turn out to be his more natural position too.

What happens once Joey comes back if that's the case? Could Leilua possibly move to second row? I was once a fan of a Croker and Cotric switch but not sure if I'd want Croker on the wing anymore. A left edge of Whitehead, Croker and Simonsson, right edge of Leilua, Cotric and Rapana, with Papalii and Tapine at prop and Bateman at lock... it means Sutton would have to move to the interchange but that looks like a strong pack on paper, particularly when we've got Horsburgh, Young, Lui, Havili, etc. to fill out the remaining interchange spots. Add in Hodgo, Wighton, CNK and G Williams and that's looking like a very good team for 2020. Just some thoughts.
Cotric's natural position is right centre, in my opinion. Going to be very interesting to see what happens if he plays well there consistently when Leilua comes back.

I think from what we have seen this year with our depth players it is going to have a bigger bearing on the status of Rapana. I wouldn't have said this to start the year, or even 2-3 weeks ago, but I doubt the club is going to break the bank to keep him now. And I am a huge Rapana fan. He has been our best player the last 3 seasons I reckon. If he gets a big offer from a rival NRL or ESL club it may be in the best interests of all parties for him to take it.
Last edited by Wiki Special on May 21, 2019, 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 21, 2019, 9:24 am
Hypothetically speaking, would you have Cotric at left centre, Leilua right, with Croker on the left wing?
Yes. Im at least happy to give it a try if thats what form dictates. The team needs to be happy to change for the better whenever an improvement is available
Dont delete this GE
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

simo wrote: May 21, 2019, 9:27 am
Yes. Im at least happy to give it a try if thats what form dictates. The team needs to be happy to change for the better whenever an improvement is available
My main issue with this is that right centre from all reports is Cotric's suited position. It will be interesting.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 21, 2019, 9:30 am
simo wrote: May 21, 2019, 9:27 am
My main issue with this is that right centre from all reports is Cotric's suited position. It will be interesting.
Which is why i also have no issues with moving bj to the left. Running off wighton on his stronger side 😍
Dont delete this GE
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Wiki Special wrote: May 21, 2019, 9:26 am
Raiders_Pat wrote: May 21, 2019, 8:54 am I know it's a bit early to speculate, but seeing as Cotric will possibly play the rest of the season in the centres, it might be hard to move him back to the wing if he excels there... particularly if he plays Origin there. It might just turn out to be his more natural position too.

Cotric's natural position is right centre, in my opinion. Going to be very interesting to see what happens if he plays well there consistently when Leilua comes back.

I think from what we have seen this year with our depth players it is going to have a bigger bearing on the status of Rapana. I wouldn't have said this to start the year, or even 2-3 weeks ago, but I doubt the club is going to break the bank to keep him now. And I am a huge Rapana fan. He has been our best player the last 3 seasons I reckon. If he gets a big offer from a rival NRL or ESL club it may be in the best interests of all parties for him to take it.
I'm with you there
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

With the injuries we've had so far, how can anyone be talking about releasing a NZ international?

Croker tends to get an injury towards the end of the season. So, we need someone who can come in at centre. Cotric switches to the left and Joey comes in on the right. That said, we have no idea whether Joey will be able to recapture this year's form when he does return. Even if he does, what's to say that Rapana doesn't get another serious injury? (He's a tough hombre, but he needs to start looking after himself). Well then, I can imagine worse things than Cotric at centre with Joey outside him.

Simonsson is still to prove that he's a star winger. I have my doubts, but it's a long season in which to prove people wrong. Fortunately, we have Oldfield in whom the other players have confidence. That's a big thing when you consider how often tries are let in because someone lacks faith in a player alongside him. Oldfield's a proven performer who has the pace to score a 70m try.

Anyway, congrats on the successful surgery, Joey, and I hope we see you back in time for pre-season training. You'll have to excuse me for hoping that's some time in early 2020 because the boys got through to the GF and have been given an extended vacation.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

No one is suggesting releasing a NZ rep player, the question is do you renew his contract, as it is about to expire.

And in my mind, Croker is no longer suited to the wing - for me the game has evolved to a point where the focal point of a wingers game these days is rucking it out of your own end and creating momentum to start the set. Watch Toots early in the set in our own end - he is available and willing, but he doesn't make meters. He would be a great finisher, and solid under the high ball, but there is a big key piece of the role missing from his game given his size.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Coastalraider wrote: May 21, 2019, 12:19 pm No one is suggesting releasing a NZ rep player, the question is do you renew his contract, as it is about to expire.

And in my mind, Croker is no longer suited to the wing - for me the game has evolved to a point where the focal point of a wingers game these days is rucking it out of your own end and creating momentum to start the set. Watch Toots early in the set in our own end - he is available and willing, but he doesn't make meters. He would be a great finisher, and solid under the high ball, but there is a big key piece of the role missing from his game given his size.
Well, what are you doing if you don't re-sign a player? We're just playing with semantics here.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Coastalraider wrote: May 21, 2019, 12:19 pm No one is suggesting releasing a NZ rep player, the question is do you renew his contract, as it is about to expire.

Yeah I'm with you there, it's also why I'm no longer a fan of the Croker to wing route
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Ive heard this argument a bit, and while i agree his dummy half runs out of trouble arent his strong point, wingers often take the catch and therefore not the difficult hitup or scoot which is lect to the fullback or the centre (which croker gets smacked a bit on).
Its definitely worth contemplating when we are full strength
Dont delete this GE
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

One of my mates said he'd like to see Cotric in the second row eventually, could it be an option for him to move in one and Leilua go back to his normal right centre position?
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 21, 2019, 12:39 pm One of my mates said he'd like to see Cotric in the second row eventually, could it be an option for him to move in one and Leilua go back to his normal right centre position?
No sorry. Maybe in the twilight of his career he can luke lewis, but hes still got too much to offer as a back
Dont delete this GE
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

simo wrote: May 21, 2019, 12:56 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: May 21, 2019, 12:39 pm One of my mates said he'd like to see Cotric in the second row eventually, could it be an option for him to move in one and Leilua go back to his normal right centre position?
No sorry. Maybe in the twilight of his career he can luke lewis, but hes still got too much to offer as a back
Tbh I think we'll soon find out that right centre is his best position.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Move a bloke who's being talked about as a possible state of origin winger into the backrow, when we already have an all-test back row, because one of your mates says he'd like to see him there?

Yeah that's gonna be a no from me, dawg.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Timbo wrote: May 21, 2019, 1:00 pm
Move a bloke who's being talked about as a possible state of origin winger into the backrow, when we already have an all-test back row, because one of your mates says he'd like to see him there?

Yeah that's gonna be a no from me, dawg.
That's cool but we're discussing options on the hypothetical that Cotric kills it at right centre, what is your best team when Joey comes back?
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Somewhere 5-7 years in the future I could see him doing a Luke Lewis or Jason Croker- he's got the body type. But not for many a long year yet- our back row is currently all star internationals + Sutton. Struggling to see room or reason to fit him in there.

If Cotric doesn't nail right centre so hard we can't shift him then I suggest we shrug and return him to being a very good winger.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

BadnMean wrote: May 21, 2019, 1:05 pm
Somewhere 5-7 years in the future I could see him doing a Luke Lewis or Jason Croker- he's got the body type. But not for many a long year yet- our back row is currently all star internationals + Sutton. Struggling to see room or reason to fit him in there.

If Cotric doesn't nail right centre so hard we can't shift him then I suggest we shrug and return him to being a very good winger.
Yeah I'd definitely move him back to the wing if he doesn't put a stamp on the position but what would be your best team if he does?
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Hmm tricky. If he's a better right centre than Leilua then he has to be sensational, the best in the comp. In which case how can we move him to 2nd row- he's just become the best centre in the game?

So Joey has to go onto the bench as an impact player? He'd move on the next year and find another club.

I don't know. We are flush with backrowers.

I guess you could move Bateman to lock, Sutton to front row rotation but you're doing an awful lot then just to accomodate Leilua as a 2nd rower.

Too hard!

But yeah if Cotric is that good, Joey has to go the bench. I like Bateman on the edge and Sutton at lock right now.