Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 *Spoilers*

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

The Rickman wrote: May 15, 2019, 3:31 pm
PigRickman wrote: May 15, 2019, 2:42 pm FWIW i think once Dany is killed, Drogon will just fly off and roam the world, and the unsullied and dorthraki will return back across the narrow sea and continue dany's work in Essos
How are they getting back over there, are they catching an Uber??
That's my thinking. Historically, they just link up with the next strongest and away they go, but how are they going to get back to Essos? Westeros won't just send them on their way in a ship. I can't imagine them being able to wander free in Westeros to do as they please.

Unless they all get wiped out... Or yeah... Dany wins
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: May 15, 2019, 3:58 pm
PigRickman wrote: May 15, 2019, 2:42 pm FWIW i think once Dany is killed, Drogon will just fly off and roam the world, and the unsullied and dorthraki will return back across the narrow sea and continue dany's work in Essos
haha i dont know! Maybe Yara will ship them home... but once Dany is dead what is there left for the unsullied and dorthraki in Westeros? No one wants them, no one is there to protect them, they've disgrace themselves with war crimes... they got nowhere to go but back home.

Besides since when have Benioff and Weiss given half a **** about details like that? haha
"And after the battle for King's Landing, the Dothraki and Unsullied were eventually given a lift home, by... oh, let's just say Moe."
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Rickman wrote:
PigRickman wrote: May 15, 2019, 3:58 pm
haha i dont know! Maybe Yara will ship them home... but once Dany is dead what is there left for the unsullied and dorthraki in Westeros? No one wants them, no one is there to protect them, they've disgrace themselves with war crimes... they got nowhere to go but back home.

Besides since when have Benioff and Weiss given half a **** about details like that? haha
"And after the battle for King's Landing, the Dothraki and Unsullied were eventually given a lift home, by... oh, let's just say Moe."
Haha maybe they’ll go all Tommy Westphall. Camera zooms out of Westeros, and we see Kings Landing is in a Snowglobe. Arya is staring into the snow globe, dressed in a hospital gown.
In the background we see The Hound, but he’s wearing Hi-Viz tradie gear. He’s says to her doctor, Dr Snow “I don’t know how to get her to talk Doc. She just sits there, staring at that Snow globe all day. I wonder what she’s thinking?”

Fade to black, roll credits
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

"And you were there, and you were there... you I've never seen before"
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I had to Google Tommy Westphall :lol:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Northern Raider wrote:I had to Google Tommy Westphall :lol:
Go one better and Google the Tommy Westphall universe. It’s all about how because St Elsewhere turned out to be all in Tommy Westphalls head, there’s about 400 other tv shows that are in his head, because they were all connected. One of the producers worked for the NBC and liked to connect shows together. So as an example:
* There was 1 episode where some of the Doctors went to the Cheers bar after work. Cheers is in Tommy’s head
* Frasier Crane was a regular at the bar. Frasier is in Tommy’s head
* Can’t remember the name, but a guy calls Frasier’s show and he works for a warehouse that’s also in Firefly and Angel. So those 2 plus Buffy are there
* In an episode of Angel, the Tardis is seen in one of these warehouses, so Dr Who is there
* The big one is John Munch. That character was in St Elsewhere, Law and Order, The Wire, Homicide: Life on the Street, X Files

Too many, check this link out https://m.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/t ... 2cd5e8118a

Nickman's love of NSW
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Yeah I did come across that. It's a bit like 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Just read an interesting thought. Bran told Tyrian in their chat in S8E2 that Jon would win the Great War, and Dany would destroy KL, and he was desperately trying to change it.

Some of the things Tyrian said post Bran chat;
“She's going to die. Unless you convince her to change her course of action.” - Tyrion to Jaime

“The city will fall by tomorrow.” - Tyrion to Jaime

So he was desperate to change the outcome, which Bran told him about already. He was adamant about 2 things
* The bells ringing mean surrender (please accept the surrender)
* The city falling by the next day even though the odds were quite evened, as Jaime said.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Game of Thrones Season 8 *Spoilers*

I just read an article that ties into my theory on how the show is going to end, with there being no throne, and each area to rule themselves, under a voted in PM.

This was suggesting there will be a council leading the 7 Kingdoms, with a connection between the old and new Gods

Father: Sam

Warrior: Jon

Mother: They suggested Dany, but no way is she going to survive, let alone be on the council. I’ll need to think about this one. Brienne maybe

Maiden: Sansa.

Crone: Tyrion or Davos. I reckon Tyrion.

Smith: Gendry

Stranger: Arya

My thinking though, is there’ll be a council, but for the 7 Kingdoms.
North: Sansa/Jon

The Vale: Sansa/Robyn (Hope not!)

Stormlands: Gendry

The Reach: Whoever they give Highgarden to. Let’s say Sam and Gilly

The Westerlands: Tyrion

The Iron Islands: Yara

Dorne: Whoever this new prince is. They need to hurry up and introduce them

Nickman's love of NSW
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 16, 2019, 1:04 pm
Really disappointed Dorne has taken no part in this final series.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Northern Raider wrote:
I’m still upset at the demise of my sweet Oberyn

Nickman's love of NSW
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 16, 2019, 4:23 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
At least that happens in the books too though.

In the show they basically scrunched Dorne up and threw it in the bin the second they ran out of book material.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: May 16, 2019, 4:28 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

In the show they basically scrunched Dorne up and threw it in the bin the second they ran out of book material.
Yep, the writing took a nosedive once they lost GRRM's source material.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Rickman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

Yeah true. I gotta get into the books. I’ve been reading about Quentyn Martel, and kind of wish they included his story in the show as well

Nickman's love of NSW
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 16, 2019, 6:21 pm
The Rickman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

Yeah true. I gotta get into the books. I’ve been reading about Quentyn Martel, and kind of wish they included his story in the show as well
Well... don't get too attached to him haha
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah I did see how his path ends haha

Nickman's love of NSW
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

There's people out there holding out hope that he may still be alive, but it doesn't look good for the lad.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

This is an interesting take on things.
https://www.wired.com/story/game-of-thr ... -pantsers/
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Season finale tonight... I’d have a good chuckle if someone like Sickly Robert Arryn ends up on the throne

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

the bone wrote:Season finale tonight... I’d have a good chuckle if someone like Sickly Robert Arryn ends up on the throne

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
He hasn’t been seen, so he’s due to pop up as a cameo to tie off that loose end.

Bronn, Sam and Gilley are all credited to appear in this ep. So let’s see what goes down.

Nickman's love of NSW
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I just hope there's a nice **** twist to finish it, something unexpected.

I'll be majorly pissed if it's just Dany is evil now and Jon Snow kills her to become King and unite the seven kingdoms. Blech!
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Okay, so I've watched a few episodes over the weekend and I'm finally up to date again..
I'm behind in the fan theories etc. I wonder how differently I would've viewed this series had I not heard about Jon Snow's heritage 4 years ago.. it probably hasn't ruined the experience.

I'm bloody pleased that of all the little spoilers I have seen popping up over social media since S8 started,
I managed to miss any spoilers alluding to the biggest moments of Season 8 so far or they were vague enough that I couldn't interpret them!

I've gone back and read this thread with the hindsight of what happens in S8 now and it's been great.. this post in particular was unreal!! haha
PigRickman wrote: May 8, 2019, 9:08 pm I was listening to a history podcast today and the dude did a detailed deep dive into the sacking of Carthage by the Romans, which was very bad... and it got me thinking about how **** cool it would be if the Dany mad queen angle was combined with a little mad grey worm action and when Cersei's army is beaten (and the only thing im certain she will be) he and his troops, after all they've endured, do some PROPER old school sacking, like indiscriminate carnage to all left in the city.

And maybe that's when Dany realises she's not fit to rule, and agrees to just disappear with Jon.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

So just finished watching the final episode. It wasn't what I wanted but on reflection was close to the best possible ending. Have to admit to a few tears. Feeling a bit empty now it is over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

The Rickman wrote: May 15, 2019, 8:23 am
greeneyed wrote:I'm looking forward to the good versus evil finale! Jon Snow... he might have his failings... but he's the only basically good character in the show. He has to take the throne!
Haha god I hope Jon Snow just rips off his hood at the end of the show and says “IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, AUSTIN” just to completely confirm the fact you don’t understand Martin’s writing or the message he’s trying to portray AT ALL

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention."
I've always thought these words uttered by Ramsay Bolton were more directed towards the audience foreshadowing the ending of the show than towards Theon/Reek.

I don't know what's going to happen, but I don't think Jon is going to sit on the throne for a complete happily ever after..

EDIT

I'm not concerned about a 'jumping the shark' ending as GRRM would've had it well thought out long ago, but I am concerned about having too much unfolding / tieing too many loose ends after the final twist of the show, whether that final twist was the Mad Queen ending or there's another to come I'm not sure. Kind of like how HIMYM fans were annoyed at the finale largely because of these reasons. Whatever happens in the GoT finale' it's going to be impossible to please all fans.

I wish I had posted my self EDIT'ed part before the finale had come out!!

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I've had this last episode going all afternoon. That last scene brings a tear to the eye every time I watch it!
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

I don’t know if I’m mentally prepared for this

EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

greeneyed wrote: May 20, 2019, 1:33 pm So just finished watching the final episode. It wasn't what I wanted but on reflection was close to the best possible ending. Have to admit to a few tears. Feeling a bit empty now it is over.

BUT BABY DRAGONS!

Yeah I finished the finale not long ago. I too was satisfied with how it ended. I haven't thought much about this season, except for the out of this world theatre that was Episode 3. I thought Dany's death was rushed, but considering some of the awful writing lately it shouldn't be a surprise.

I really felt a lot for the Starks, which was the intention. I was even happy for the worst big character of the whole series, Sansa, so it was a success. When King Bran, Queen Sansa and Arya stood at the Grey Havens to see Jon off to Valinor, I welled up with emotion.

A problematic last couple of seasons, spotted with a few episodes of greatness, somehow managed to finish satisfactorily. Thumbs up :thumbsup
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah I was satisfied with that ending. It was pretty close to my prediction, minus Sam on the throne haha.
Highlight was Edmure being put back in his place as he was gearing up for his Churchillian speech.

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

SPOILER...

TAPATALK PREVIEW...

We got SO **** close to my democracy ending, and we sort of kind of got it with the Kingsmoot style deal? But dammit, i nearly landed that. A lot of mixed thoughts again. I was just OK with the ending. I dont think it makes sense for Bran win the throne... this is a dude who's spent the whole seasoning being like "i dont want anything" and then suddenly he's like "**** yeah ill have the throne, why'd you think i came all this way"

Arya's ending was OK, i didnt see her as a sea voyager, i thought she would just be some westorosi batman, like you dont know where she'll be, but if you're **** with the innocent, you best know the NK killer is gonna settle the score... but im ok with it.

Sansa being queen of the north and freeing her people was a good ending, i was happy with that.

Tyrion being the hand was a bit **** given how they got here. I think that's how that ends up in the books but given he's been a bumbling idiot the entire last 2 seasons, i dont think he earned that (and they knew it and did a decent enough job of explaining it away)

Brienne arc was perfect imo, taking to the Kings Guard, and telling Jamie's story including the final line which was just perfect. Really great moment for her character because you know the pain in it.

I liked ending things with the small council descending into petty squabbles again, life goes on, and they want to break the wheel and they think they are... but it's just a new different wheel that is probably mostly the same. I actually like that.

Dany dying had to happen, i think they could have strung that scene out a bit more in terms of her being stabbed, but i liked the rest, with Drogon carrying her away and melting the throne.

Taking a W on Wormsy going to continue Dany's work in liberation, but i dont like the way they ended his arc. I think it would have been better for him to be a bit contrite, coming from his life and seeing what she did, i think it would have been better if he was like "power corrupted my queen and me" and kind of understanding Jon's decision. And then continuing the best parts of Dany's work starting with Narth.

Bronn got highgarten. Good for him, he was owed haha.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Finished it now and still processing it..

Obviously spoilers coming

I don’t know if I got the idea from earlier in the thread from another post but I thought Drogon might melt the throne. Wrote it in the post earlier then stupidly went to google a characters name for spelling and the spoiler came up. In saying that the scene played out a lot differently to how I pictured, I thought there’d be someone on the throne at the time. It was probably already a common theory

Other points
- I still kind of don’t really understand what the three eyed raven is so maybe there’s important parts from earlier seasons I wasn’t paying enough attention to. When I started rewatching the series after a long break from it, it was around the time of when Bran was at the tree so maybe I missed a part

- I sort of find it hard to see Greyworm’s men just letting it all go to live a normal sort of life

- as others have mentioned, Daenery’s parts in the last couple of episodes were a bit rushed

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

After being very disappointed in how they portrayed episode 5 I'll say I'm fairly satisfied with this finale. I could quibble about a few things (as a few have already) but most of those are personal preferences rather than criticisms.

SPOILERS COMING
(seriously if you're worried about spoilers get the **** out of this thread)

There were several scenes I thought were nailed. Tyrion discovering Jaime and Cersei's bodies was something we knew was coming yet I still found it highly emotional.

The whole scene where Jon killed Dany was amazing. He finally realised her total delusion and descent into madness then took the action of last resort. Drogon sensing what happened and arriving to find his 'mum' dead. Not taking vengeance and the man that committed the act (maybe knowing he was a Targaryen) then destroyed the true cause of all the problems - the Iron Throne.

I liked the idea of Jon being sentenced to take the Black (again). I'm just not totally clear why the Nights Watch are still there. If it wasn't boring up before it will be totally brain numbing now with no wildlings to keep them on their toes.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Meh.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

But the Night's Watch is pretty much not there/doing nothing (there didn't really seem to be anyone much there). And he went off, leading the Wildlings to a new life in "Scotland". Not sure how they can tell him not to find a new partner or have children... Well that's how I interpreted it anyway.

Breaks my heart to see Jon banished in that way. And even though he kills Dany... well, he was just saving the world once again from another deluded tyrant. He might not be perfect, but he was one of the few basically good characters.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He was as flawed as any... he stood by when all the warning signs where there. He hasted her descent into madness by playing into her paranoia and telling all who'd listen about his true birth right

his own Northernmen raped, pillaged and plundered.

He's got blood on his hands. He was compromised.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No, Jon Snow was basically good... and always did the right thing in the end.