The Rickman wrote: May 18, 2019, 10:14 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
The Rickman wrote: May 18, 2019, 9:59 pm
Dr Zaius wrote:Libs would have shat this in with Turnbull
As I’ve said all along

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nobody listens to you though
I wouldn’t either.

When have I ever been right when it comes to politics?
Couldn't say as I haven't been listening to you.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Re: The Politics Thread 2019

Post by Manbush »

Well disappointing election but about time Shorten was replaced, the highlights of this election for me have been Abbott getting the boot and Danny Nulliah losing his tax exemption status.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 18, 2019, 10:14 pm
Northern Raider wrote:Geez even the panels are talking about policies in identify all these reasons for the pending result. This purely and simply a rejection of Bill Shorten as a prospective PM.
I don't know. It would have been an easy decision for me to vote for the ALP if he wasn't so focused on taxing the crap out of self funded retirees. As much as I can't stand him, I was hoping for a clean out of the libs.
No doubt a lot of people's votes were influenced by policy but those would be fairly balanced. I believe the majority of swing voters simply didn't want Shorten as PM. This was very clear in polls where ALP were always ahead in 2 party preference. As for preferred PM polls Shorten has always lagged behind both Turnbull and ScoMo. This election has reflected the latter poll. To me that says on a general policy level people were OK with what ALP were offering they just couldn't stand their leader.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

This is firming to be a very good bet..Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Shorten finally concedes. The speech started well but became a bit of a lengthy ramble.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Got on the Libs at $4.50, they blew out to $7 and SportsBet even paid out on Labor win bets.

The first time I’ve actually liked Queenslanders !
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Absolutely agree that if Shorten was in any way likeable, ALP would’ve won comfortably.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

yeh raiders wrote:Absolutely agree that if Shorten was in any way likeable, ALP would’ve won comfortably.
Welcome to my point from the last six months, pal

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

The Rickman wrote: May 19, 2019, 12:20 am
yeh raiders wrote:Absolutely agree that if Shorten was in any way likeable, ALP would’ve won comfortably.
Welcome to my point from the last six months, pal

I don’t monitor this thread so thank you for letting me know.

Just goes to show how inner party politics can blow it against all odds.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Fundamentally pmising to help tank an already tanking market was a bad idea.

It might have been ok with housing burning to hot. But now it just doesn’t work.

Also the whole premise of we are going to redistribute wealth and become more involved is wrong, labor miscalculated how much the electorate wanted the govt involved.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Green eyed Mick wrote: May 15, 2019, 5:35 pm Carbon dioxide pollution is a significant cause of climate change. And plastic pollution, while being a serious environmental problem, is far less of a concern than climate change.

Hope that helps address your concerns.
I am told there is a continent of plastic outside South America with sea life and bird life all during from ingesting plastic and our waterways just filled with jelly fish because fish sticks are so low.

To me this seems like an issue that should be getting more airtime.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Manbush wrote: May 16, 2019, 4:16 pm
papabear wrote: May 16, 2019, 3:23 pm
Manbush wrote: May 16, 2019, 3:15 pm
T_R wrote: May 15, 2019, 7:35 pm
Manbush wrote:With the outrage over Folaus comments I’m surprised people are happy to vote for someone who shares identical beliefs and less likely to end religious privilege to discriminate under the guise of religious freedom.
Please show evidence of that.

Sharing the beliefs of another Pentecostal whose beliefs include a literal fire and brimstone hell, his refusal to answer a simple yes or no question.

Being a Pentecostal I’m also curious as to his views on end times, it’s popular amongst them to be looking forward to it and believing it’s going to happen soon which would impact on governing.
honestly i think it is beneath either party to bring in peoples personal beliefs on stuff.

Whether you want to criticize bill for not believing in hell or whatever morrison believes, eitherway I think your notion that scomo is going to govern on a bias towards an incoming end times is full of ****.
Beliefs inform actions though so certain beliefs are very relevant.

Take Trump bowing to the evangelicals with Israel because to them it’s part of end times prophecy.

Also take climate change denial, I know correlation does not equal causation but I don’t think it’s a coincidence it’s generally the domain of the more religious.
Hamming on people due to their religion is weak.

Ham on the religion, but some very clever people might have some very strange religious beliefs
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Make no mistake people, yesterday’s result was a great one for our nation. Australia pretty much overwhelmingly said NO to racism, we’ve voted out Hanson and Anning, said goodbye to Tony Abbot and Clive Palmer, yet stated we want a strong Liberal party in charge of the economy. That’s a good thing

And before you get started on climate change, Labor really wasn’t going to do anything significant in that sphere anyway

The people have spoken

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

papabear wrote: May 19, 2019, 12:47 am

Ham on the religion, but some very clever people might have some very strange religious beliefs
Id never say otherwise mate, even the most intelligent people can believe things for bad reasons.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The Rickman wrote: May 19, 2019, 9:33 am yet stated we want a strong Liberal party in charge of the economy. That’s a good thing

I used to believe the Libs were better for the economy but if you look back over the past 12years it appears to be the opposite. Like the Republicans they’re too busy looking after their own interests and those of their wealthy mates.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush wrote:
The Rickman wrote: May 19, 2019, 9:33 am yet stated we want a strong Liberal party in charge of the economy. That’s a good thing

I used to believe the Libs were better for the economy but if you look back over the past 12years it appears to be the opposite. Like the Republicans they’re too busy looking after their own interests and those of their wealthy mates.
And that’s ok, you’d be wrong

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: May 19, 2019, 9:33 am Make no mistake people, yesterday’s result was a great one for our nation. Australia pretty much overwhelmingly said NO to racism, we’ve voted out Hanson and Anning, said goodbye to Tony Abbot and Clive Palmer, yet stated we want a strong Liberal party in charge of the economy. That’s a good thing

And before you get started on climate change, Labor really wasn’t going to do anything significant in that sphere anyway

The people have spoken
GetUp focused on ousting Tony Abbott and were successful in doing so. Classic case of winning the battle but losing the war. They channeled their efforts into a couple of electorates (they failed with Oakeshott). End result is the LNP have retained power and GetUp have removed the pebble in their shoe. ScoMo will be far more secure in his leadership in this coming term without Abbott's destabilising influence.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The Rickman wrote: May 19, 2019, 9:57 am
Manbush wrote:

Anything to support that? Our economy internationally ranks higher under Labor so I’m genuinely interested what makes you think Liberals do a better job.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:
The Rickman wrote: May 19, 2019, 9:33 am Make no mistake people, yesterday’s result was a great one for our nation. Australia pretty much overwhelmingly said NO to racism, we’ve voted out Hanson and Anning, said goodbye to Tony Abbot and Clive Palmer, yet stated we want a strong Liberal party in charge of the economy. That’s a good thing

The people have spoken
GetUp focused on ousting Tony Abbott and were successful in doing so. Classic case of winning the battle but losing the war. They channeled their efforts into a couple of electorates (they failed with Oakeshott). End result is the LNP have retained power and GetUp have removed the pebble in their shoe. ScoMo will be far more secure in his leadership in this coming term without Abbott's destabilising influence.
Yup. The only negative in this election is Dutton got up, but you can’t have everything, can you?

**** stoked to see Shorten, Abbot, Palmer, Hanson and Anning all get **** all over though. What a great result for Australia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush wrote:
Manbush wrote:

Anything to support that? Our economy internationally ranks higher under Labor so I’m genuinely interested what makes you think Liberals do a better job.
You mean during the global financial crisis when literally every other economy in the world **** their pants?

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The Rickman wrote: May 19, 2019, 11:18 am
Manbush wrote:
Manbush wrote:

You mean during the global financial crisis when literally every other economy in the world **** their pants?

All economies including our EDIT

Not just that but every year since the Liberals have been in this time we’ve been sliding down the rankings,

2013 when they took over we were 1st
2014 3rd
2015 9th
2016 13th
2017 18th
2018 21st
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

It will be interesting to see the final washup of how the country voted. See if there are any new trends emerging.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:It will be interesting to see the final washup of how the country voted. See if there are any new trends emerging.
Seems to be a definite trend against racism, which is great

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Manbush wrote: May 19, 2019, 11:23 am
The Rickman wrote: May 19, 2019, 11:18 am
Manbush wrote:
Manbush wrote:

All economies including our shat their pants.

Not just that but every year since the Liberals have been in this time we’ve been sliding down the rankings,

2013 when they took over we were 1st
2014 3rd
2015 9th
2016 13th
2017 18th
2018 21st
What ranking are you using here?
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

“The IAREM score
The Independent Australia ranking on economic management (IAREM) is a composite index which measures the performance of all national economies on eight key indicators.

These are income, GDP growth, median wealth per person, jobs, inflation, tax levels, net debt and economic freedom. It is a simple formula, easily replicated by econometrics nuts or anyone with the internet, spreadsheet software and too much spare time:

IAREM = ip + gr + mw + j – in – t – nd + ef”
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush is absolutely just crapping on about nothing. Our economy soared in the “rankings” due to globally every other economy **** itself. This has since normalised as the GFC has passed

It’s not **** rocket surgery

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The Rickman wrote: May 19, 2019, 11:41 am Manbush is absolutely just crapping on about nothing. Our economy soared in the “rankings” due to globally every other economy **** itself. This has since normalised as the GFC has passed

It’s not **** rocket surgery

Ours EDIT though mate, so it’s a coincidence that ever since Liberals got in it’s been declining every year?

I’ve asked if you’ve got anything to support your claim but apparently not, you are like how I used to be just believing the Libs are better with the economy based on feelings and reputation.

When Labor took over in 2007 we were 9th, they got us to 3rd the following year when the GFC hit and kept us in 1st ever year except 2010 (4th) till the Libs took over.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

You’re completely missing my point and I’m not going to keep reiterating it

Read what I said again

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Your “point” that conveniently ignored our economy tanking and ignored the other trends.

Your point seems to be you’ve got nothing to support your assertion same as I didn’t when I thought Liberals were good for the economy.

I’m genuinely interested in actually seeing data which supports it, to see if my original belief a couple of years ago was warranted because it doesn’t look like it was.

If it’s not “rocket surgery” you should be able to point to some actual hard evidence not merely repeat the same assertion over and over again.

Why have we crashed to 21st if it’s purely a return to the norm when we were 9th before the GFC?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Northern Raider wrote:

The people have spoken
GetUp spent an estimated $12m to get rid of Abbott, and an estimated $10m to fail to get rid of Dutton.

$22m to roll one Member, who may well have been on the way out anyway.

That's a fairly questionable use of funds if you ask me.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Manbush wrote: May 19, 2019, 11:34 am “The IAREM score
The Independent Australia ranking on economic management (IAREM) is a composite index which measures the performance of all national economies on eight key indicators.

These are income, GDP growth, median wealth per person, jobs, inflation, tax levels, net debt and economic freedom. It is a simple formula, easily replicated by econometrics nuts or anyone with the internet, spreadsheet software and too much spare time:

IAREM = ip + gr + mw + j – in – t – nd + ef”
Can't say I'm familiar with it. Is this used as a benchmark by the major global economies?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

T_R wrote: May 19, 2019, 12:27 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

The people have spoken
GetUp spent an estimated $12m to get rid of Abbott, and an estimated $10m to fail to get rid of Dutton.

Blew nearly as much as Clive Palmer.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Not sure mate, I’m very much a rookie when it comes to economy (99% of people are) but the metrics and formula seem reasonable and repeatable, not based off emotions etc.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

The Politics Thread 2019

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

The people have spoken

Haha questionable use of funds?

Clive Palmer: hold my beer!

EDIT: ****ITALL! I should’ve read the whole thread first!

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

One thing Palmer might learn is he can fire bullets to bring people down but can't garner enough support to lift his party up. In future he's best served operating like a right wing version of GetUp if he wants to influence Australian politics.....it's still pissing away money but could at least have something to show for it.