2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Raiders 13+
1
8%
Raiders 1-12
4
33%
Draw
0
No votes
Roosters 1-12
4
33%
Roosters 13+
3
25%
 
Total votes: 12

gergreg
Steve Walters
Posts: 7325
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by gergreg » May 15, 2019, 9:35 pm

bonehead wrote:
The Rickman wrote:
bonehead wrote:
May 15, 2019, 3:36 pm
The Rickman wrote:
simo wrote:
May 15, 2019, 11:19 am
Were they within 10 before being run onside?
Nope, they were run onside well before they breached the 10.
no, Sam Williams got caught up in the kick pressure and didn't run Sutton onside outside the 10m.
That's absolutely not how I saw it... can anyone find some footage??

Matt??
note Sutton offside, Sammy getting dragged out of play by the kick pressure Image

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
The thing that I wasn't sure about is whether the Roosters player had run 10 metres before being tackled by the offside player. That can be 10 metres in any direction I believe?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 127899
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by greeneyed » May 15, 2019, 9:40 pm

The Roosters player couldn't possibly have run 10 metres... I hope I'm thinking of the correct incident... because he took the ball close to his own line and got pushed into the in goal. I thought it was a wrong call at the ground, but looking at the replay, it was clearly correct.
Image

User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 26076
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Botman » May 15, 2019, 9:43 pm

How you view the Raiders and the decisions in their games has EVERYTHING to do with you confirmation bias.
It probably explains why half the people on your side of the fence suddenly find you to be the most ridiculous biased person come SOO time... and yet they never put 2 and 2 together.

It's really something.
I dont think there has been a game in all my years on this site where the Raiders have lost and you've thought the officials had a good game. It's quite a remarkable thing. Sure you'll often say the Raiders didnt play well enough to win but it's always provided with some caveat about some tough calls against the Raiders, or a poor performance by the officials. It's a copout. You say it just to say it so you cant be accused to blaming the officials. But you betray yourself.
And more so i bet we could count on one hand the number of times you've admitted the raiders got the rub of the green with the officials. When we win the penalty count it's because we were dominant and earned them, when we lose it, the officiating was inconsistently applied to us. When we get a 50/50 call go our way, it was clearly correct, 50/50 against us? blatantly wrong. The Raiders strip a ball out that gets called a knock on, it's a lucky break or "may have been hands in there", Raiders called for a knock on when it's a strip? "Dreadful decision, hard to imagine how they can get it so wrong!"

The fact you and others think the Raiders are always on the wrong side of things with the officials and never on the right side has EVERYTHING to do with your own biases... which is fine by the way, you're a fan, you're supposed to be biased! But stop pretending you're something you're not.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 127899
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by greeneyed » May 15, 2019, 10:04 pm

What if your posts about my posts reveal your confirmation biases?

It is a bit like Nickman... he has decided that I have complained about Magic Round not being played in Canberra... simply because I pointed out, in response to a couple of articles in The Canberra Times, that fancifully suggested it could be played in Canberra, that the NRL would never play it in Canberra. After all, they have a contract to play in Brisbane for two years and gave the Queensland Government a further option for two years to play in Brisbane. And then they came out and said they'd consider... Perth, Melbourne, Auckland, Singapore, Hong Kong, Los Angeles and Las Vegas.

Nickman suddenly thinks I'm arguing for Magic Round to be played in Canberra! Confirmation bias, jumping to conclusions, pick what you like.

But clearly, Magic Round will be dead and buried before the NRL ever gets around to considering playing it in Canberra... or Newcastle (!) as suggested in The Canberra Times.

All your own biases are coming out here!
Image

User avatar
Lui_Bon
David Furner
Posts: 3436
Joined: June 3, 2009, 4:07 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Lui_Bon » May 15, 2019, 10:19 pm

For those who came in late...

which is me, I only have one thing to say about ref bias - who told them that our players wearing the number 11, 12 and 17 shirt were all called "Elliot"?

That guy, whoever he was, was being called by the ref to get off the tackled player in just about every tackle of every defensive set. In one tackle the number 11 and 17 Elliots were both called out... the poor number 12 must have felt like he was left off the ref's tip sheet or something...
Image

User avatar
simo
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8617
Joined: March 12, 2013, 7:50 pm
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by simo » May 15, 2019, 10:32 pm

Lui_Bon wrote:
May 15, 2019, 10:19 pm
For those who came in late...

which is me, I only have one thing to say about ref bias - who told them that our players wearing the number 11, 12 and 17 shirt were all called "Elliot"?

That guy, whoever he was, was being called by the ref to get off the tackled player in just about every tackle of every defensive set. In one tackle the number 11 and 17 Elliots were both called out... the poor number 12 must have felt like he was left off the ref's tip sheet or something...
Haha you do hear “off him now elliott” a hell of a lot
Dont delete this GE

User avatar
gangrenous
Laurie Daley
Posts: 10119
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by gangrenous » May 15, 2019, 10:52 pm

Typical straw man piggles out today.

The Raiders suffer from a few unconscious biases in my opinion.
1. Don’t benefit from star player/team bias as pointed out by GE.
2. Related, a perception of being generally crap after losing for so long.
3. The biggest and most challenging to overcome - lack of strong relevance/importance to the NRL and media corporations covering the game. As I’ve said before, if the game is on the line between Raiders and the Broncos and there’s a 50/50 decision it’s most likely going to the Broncos. Because subconsciously the ref knows they’ll be dragged over the coals by the media for it if it’s against the Broncos.

Yes the Raiders benefit from poor decisions and there are swings and roundabouts. However my observation is that there are more roundabouts than swings, particularly in the calls that are critical. It’s also not just bias since we have seen in the past when you collect the stats on things like how often tries are referred to the video ref as no try, or overturned, that teams like the Raiders are at the bottom.

I would say I definitely noticed the Raiders getting more favourable incorrect calls as part of our run in 2016. You can also say just play better and win games and you start to attract the favourable calls again, but that’s completely facile. Teams are always trying to win, and it’s hard to get on a run in a competition like the NRL if you’re copping a raw deal in the reffing.

User avatar
BadnMean
John Ferguson
Posts: 2926
Joined: May 13, 2013, 5:30 pm
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by BadnMean » May 15, 2019, 11:37 pm

PigRickman wrote:
May 15, 2019, 9:19 pm
BadnMean wrote:
May 15, 2019, 9:00 pm
Unrecognised bias is a thing. It's one (one) of the reasons teams win more often at home. You just have to shrug and try to win anyway. No one is saying it is the single deciding factor in a game. But it just happens.

You cannot watch rugby league and not have seen the Billy Slater rule in effect or gained a "home crowd offside" for your team by booing along with the rest.
Here's the thing, that unrecognised bias thing? It goes both ways. We arent immune from it.

I know that, in fact I specifically stated an example where we could benefit from it in my post.

And then the Broncos get 13 home games... And then media coverage turns some players into untouchables at a grater/more easier rate than it does the raiders. Not tin foil hat stuff but just another 1%er.

There was no study attached but "big team" bias works along the same lines.

None of it is insurmountable but it does exist and yes, it can work for us too. Now that Toots has respect he gets a lot of held down penalties on early rucks after kicks. Hodgo can steal a ball, give it back to him because he thought we was going to get pinged for it and then the other guy gets pinged for not giving Hodgo the ball to play.

I think overall, refs go against raiders to make a point rather than favoured teams. The sin bins over the years have been great examples. We might only see 3-4 a year most years but 1 is always a raider in dubious circumstances.

Edit: I do find the ref whining makes some game day threads insufferable and I try ti make a conscious effort when I watch games with my missus or other friends over here so that I don't seem like such a negative nelly and we can just enjoy the game.

User avatar
BadnMean
John Ferguson
Posts: 2926
Joined: May 13, 2013, 5:30 pm
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by BadnMean » May 15, 2019, 11:43 pm

greeneyed wrote:
May 15, 2019, 10:04 pm
What if your posts about my posts reveal your confirmation biases?

It is a bit like Nickman... he has decided that I have complained about Magic Round not being played in Canberra... simply because I pointed out, in response to a couple of articles in The Canberra Times, that fancifully suggested it could be played in Canberra, that the NRL would never play it in Canberra. After all, they have a contract to play in Brisbane for two years and gave the Queensland Government a further option for two years to play in Brisbane. And then they came out and said they'd consider... Perth, Melbourne, Auckland, Singapore, Hong Kong, Los Angeles and Las Vegas.

Nickman suddenly thinks I'm arguing for Magic Round to be played in Canberra! Confirmation bias, jumping to conclusions, pick what you like.

But clearly, Magic Round will be dead and buried before the NRL ever gets around to considering playing it in Canberra... or Newcastle (!) as suggested in The Canberra Times.

All your own biases are coming out here!
Magic Round in Singapore would be AWESOME! Stadium is perfect for league, easy transport. AIR CONDITIONED!!!!
Turf immaculate because not used often. And the only rugby we get here is yawnion- you can't even play league here if you're a kid or an adult, purely corporate yawnion territory but every local I've ever watched a league game with - most of whom find rugby "meh" are astounded that league isn't the biggest version and love the impact and drama and flow and brutality.

User avatar
Lui_Bon
David Furner
Posts: 3436
Joined: June 3, 2009, 4:07 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Lui_Bon » May 15, 2019, 11:47 pm

BadnMean wrote:
May 15, 2019, 11:37 pm
Edit: I do find the ref whining makes some game day threads insufferable and I try ti make a conscious effort when I watch games with my missus or other friends over here so that I don't seem like such a negative nelly and we can just enjoy the game.
I have been on a concerted campaign with myself to stop whining about forward passes. Yes, the shorter the pass, the more likely the ref is to let it go. Yes, if it's against the Raiders, the ref is more likely to let it go. Yes, if it's against the team I tipped, the ref is more likely to let it go. Yes, it it's Sutton or Cummins, etc etc.

I'm enjoying games a bit more now.
Image

User avatar
kiwi raider
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6988
Joined: March 31, 2008, 7:59 pm
Location: Christchurch, NZ

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by kiwi raider » May 16, 2019, 7:22 am

greeneyed wrote:
May 15, 2019, 9:40 pm
The Roosters player couldn't possibly have run 10 metres... I hope I'm thinking of the correct incident... because he took the ball close to his own line and got pushed into the in goal. I thought it was a wrong call at the ground, but looking at the replay, it was clearly correct.
does he have to run 10 metres? or do the players in front of the kicker just have to be more than 10 metres from him when he catches the ball? I thought it was the latter these days

raiderskater
David Furner
Posts: 3338
Joined: July 26, 2015, 8:24 pm
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer
Location: The Land of Lime Green

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by raiderskater » May 16, 2019, 7:46 am

Genuine question, PigRickman.

Late in the game - at a very crucial stage in the game - Cronk kicked on the last. The ball ricocheted off Croker's back, Roosters regathered, we tackled, and it was ruled six again because Croker was alleged to have played at it. (With his back.)

Are you suggesting that was the correct call? That the referee, being above reproach because they cannot make incorrect decisions against Canberra, got that one 100% right? That we should have been happy to end up getting the ball 10m out from our own line rather than 10m short of halfway, with only minutes on the clock?

How about the Roosters player flopping himself to the ground, getting up, and playing the ball without a hand laid on him? Are you suggesting that that was entirely acceptable because of course Sutton would never make a wrong call against the Raiders?
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)

User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 26076
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Botman » May 16, 2019, 7:59 am

raiderskater wrote:
May 16, 2019, 7:46 am
Genuine question, PigRickman.

Late in the game - at a very crucial stage in the game - Cronk kicked on the last. The ball ricocheted off Croker's back, Roosters regathered, we tackled, and it was ruled six again because Croker was alleged to have played at it. (With his back.)

Are you suggesting that was the correct call? That the referee, being above reproach because they cannot make incorrect decisions against Canberra, got that one 100% right? That we should have been happy to end up getting the ball 10m out from our own line rather than 10m short of halfway, with only minutes on the clock?

How about the Roosters player flopping himself to the ground, getting up, and playing the ball without a hand laid on him? Are you suggesting that that was entirely acceptable because of course Sutton would never make a wrong call against the Raiders?
Hahah what the **** **** is this post?
Good grief

Gangers, since it’s clear you don’t really understand what a straw man arguement is and it’s just your get out jail free card and when things aren’t going your way

This is a strawman haha
Last edited by Botman on May 16, 2019, 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;

User avatar
simo
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8617
Joined: March 12, 2013, 7:50 pm
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by simo » May 16, 2019, 7:59 am

raiderskater wrote:
May 16, 2019, 7:46 am
Genuine question, PigRickman.

Late in the game - at a very crucial stage in the game - Cronk kicked on the last. The ball ricocheted off Croker's back, Roosters regathered, we tackled, and it was ruled six again because Croker was alleged to have played at it. (With his back.)

Are you suggesting that was the correct call? That the referee, being above reproach because they cannot make incorrect decisions against Canberra, got that one 100% right? That we should have been happy to end up getting the ball 10m out from our own line rather than 10m short of halfway, with only minutes on the clock?

How about the Roosters player flopping himself to the ground, getting up, and playing the ball without a hand laid on him? Are you suggesting that that was entirely acceptable because of course Sutton would never make a wrong call against the Raiders?
Hey skates, ill jump in here for quick clarification. The idea that refs arent biased in no way suggests that refs dont get calls wrong, its just that they arent getting them wrong based on which team they consciously or unconsciously prefer.
I think sutton is the worst ref in the comp because i dont like the way he pushes himself on a game or the way he speaks to players. But i dont think hes an awful ref to us more than anyone else
Dont delete this GE

User avatar
bonehead
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13359
Joined: March 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Location: Smelling The Shiraz

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by bonehead » May 16, 2019, 8:00 am

raiderskater wrote:Genuine question, PigRickman.

Late in the game - at a very crucial stage in the game - Cronk kicked on the last. The ball ricocheted off Croker's back, Roosters regathered, we tackled, and it was ruled six again because Croker was alleged to have played at it. (With his back.)

Are you suggesting that was the correct call? That the referee, being above reproach because they cannot make incorrect decisions against Canberra, got that one 100% right? That we should have been happy to end up getting the ball 10m out from our own line rather than 10m short of halfway, with only minutes on the clock?

How about the Roosters player flopping himself to the ground, getting up, and playing the ball without a hand laid on him? Are you suggesting that that was entirely acceptable because of course Sutton would never make a wrong call against the Raiders?
actually Croker turned as cronk kicked and the ball hit the side of his leg, it's a tuff 50/50
Edrick The Entertainer

julian87
Laurie Daley
Posts: 11566
Joined: October 20, 2005, 3:35 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by julian87 » May 16, 2019, 8:03 am

PigRickman wrote:
May 15, 2019, 9:19 pm

Those sports whilst are team games, star calls happen in sports like the NBA because the natural inclination is that when Kevin Durrant misses a layup, it's probably because some lumbering goon in the paint fouled him. Same with baseball... these are VERY specific sports situations, the only like for like in RL is that you might find a player who is known to be always trying to mess with the ball in the ruck, getting penalised for drop balls on suspicion. But again, this goes both ways, it's not like it's only Elliott Whitehead who gets targeted like this, players on the opposition with the same tendency (and every team has at least 1 and probably 2-3-4 of them!) get it too!
I think this goes a bit further in rugby league imo. All the study refs do includes studying individual players for sure. There are certain players in the competition who have the decision in a lost ball or rake go against them every single time no matter the actual current play at the time. This isn’t really a subject I want to dip into but it has irked me for some time how much time the referees put into stuff like this. I still also think it is absolutely ridiculous that NRL referees are expected to know every single players first name. Surely that’s a waste of their time and completely unnecessary.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.

User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 26076
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Botman » May 16, 2019, 8:29 am

julian87 wrote:
May 16, 2019, 8:03 am
PigRickman wrote:
May 15, 2019, 9:19 pm

Those sports whilst are team games, star calls happen in sports like the NBA because the natural inclination is that when Kevin Durrant misses a layup, it's probably because some lumbering goon in the paint fouled him. Same with baseball... these are VERY specific sports situations, the only like for like in RL is that you might find a player who is known to be always trying to mess with the ball in the ruck, getting penalised for drop balls on suspicion. But again, this goes both ways, it's not like it's only Elliott Whitehead who gets targeted like this, players on the opposition with the same tendency (and every team has at least 1 and probably 2-3-4 of them!) get it too!
I think this goes a bit further in rugby league imo. All the study refs do includes studying individual players for sure. There are certain players in the competition who have the decision in a lost ball or rake go against them every single time no matter the actual current play at the time. This isn’t really a subject I want to dip into but it has irked me for some time how much time the referees put into stuff like this. I still also think it is absolutely ridiculous that NRL referees are expected to know every single players first name. Surely that’s a waste of their time and completely unnecessary.
100% agree, but to what i've been saying... that's not unilaterally applied to the raiders and we benefit as much as we are penalised for it.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 19145
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by edwahu » May 16, 2019, 8:37 am

The reality is Rugby League refereeing is based very heavily on interpretation of a small subset of rules. We know the refs are measured on KPIs the NRL has put in place to deliver what they feel is the best product. This situation logically guarantees that games are managed and not every decision will be impartial.

What we don't know is what the impacts are, the KPIs are mostly a black box and nobody has done the analysis on what few stats we have.

It feels like this year there was definitely a decision or it was measured that we weren't playing in the "right" way and the interpretations on us became stricter. Without the data I can't be sure, but the way NRL refereeing works it's certainly a definite possibility.

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 127899
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by greeneyed » May 16, 2019, 9:09 am

kiwi raider wrote:
May 16, 2019, 7:22 am
greeneyed wrote:
May 15, 2019, 9:40 pm
The Roosters player couldn't possibly have run 10 metres... I hope I'm thinking of the correct incident... because he took the ball close to his own line and got pushed into the in goal. I thought it was a wrong call at the ground, but looking at the replay, it was clearly correct.
does he have to run 10 metres? or do the players in front of the kicker just have to be more than 10 metres from him when he catches the ball? I thought it was the latter these days
They have to give him 10, the refs allow the offside players to get involved once the player with the ball has run 10 (as the offside players have retreated 10).
Image

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 44301
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by The Nickman » May 16, 2019, 10:57 am

gangrenous wrote:
May 15, 2019, 10:52 pm
Typical straw man piggles out today.

The Raiders suffer from a few unconscious biases in my opinion.
1. Don’t benefit from star player/team bias as pointed out by GE.
2. Related, a perception of being generally crap after losing for so long.
3. The biggest and most challenging to overcome - lack of strong relevance/importance to the NRL and media corporations covering the game. As I’ve said before, if the game is on the line between Raiders and the Broncos and there’s a 50/50 decision it’s most likely going to the Broncos. Because subconsciously the ref knows they’ll be dragged over the coals by the media for it if it’s against the Broncos.

Yes the Raiders benefit from poor decisions and there are swings and roundabouts. However my observation is that there are more roundabouts than swings, particularly in the calls that are critical. It’s also not just bias since we have seen in the past when you collect the stats on things like how often tries are referred to the video ref as no try, or overturned, that teams like the Raiders are at the bottom.

I would say I definitely noticed the Raiders getting more favourable incorrect calls as part of our run in 2016. You can also say just play better and win games and you start to attract the favourable calls again, but that’s completely facile. Teams are always trying to win, and it’s hard to get on a run in a competition like the NRL if you’re copping a raw deal in the reffing.
I wholeheartedly disagree with Point 3. The reason for the whole ridiculous "penalty broncos" crap that people go on with is largely due to one of the unconscious bias facts GE brought up earlier... home ground advantage. And it just so happens that every second week the Broncos play out of the greatest rugby league stadium in the world, in front of 30 thousand screaming fans almost every time. Of COURSE they get the calls in that situation, just like how the raiders would get the "rub of the green" (pun intended) if it were a semi-final in front of a packed Canberra Stadium.

The idea that the refs are giving calls to the Broncos so they don't get hauled over the coals by the media is absolutely laughable. I can't even believe a supposedly sensible person such as gangers even believes that.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 44301
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by The Nickman » May 16, 2019, 10:58 am

raiderskater wrote:
May 16, 2019, 7:46 am
Genuine question, PigRickman.

Late in the game - at a very crucial stage in the game - Cronk kicked on the last. The ball ricocheted off Croker's back, Roosters regathered, we tackled, and it was ruled six again because Croker was alleged to have played at it. (With his back.)

Are you suggesting that was the correct call? That the referee, being above reproach because they cannot make incorrect decisions against Canberra, got that one 100% right? That we should have been happy to end up getting the ball 10m out from our own line rather than 10m short of halfway, with only minutes on the clock?

How about the Roosters player flopping himself to the ground, getting up, and playing the ball without a hand laid on him? Are you suggesting that that was entirely acceptable because of course Sutton would never make a wrong call against the Raiders?
Haha this is an absolutely ludicrous post... nodoby is saying the referees are perfect, the roosters had a try disallowed shortly after Croker's "charge-down" that wasn't a forward pass!

If you ask any roosters fan they'll find just as many "mistakes" by the referees in that game as you guys have found to claim bias.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 26076
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Botman » May 16, 2019, 1:32 pm

Let's always ALLLLLLLLLLLLWAYS remember..

Every single fan base in every single competition across every single sport thinks the refs hate them... But apparently we're the only ones with legitimate claims about this right?
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 23466
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Northern Raider » May 16, 2019, 1:34 pm

This thread still going?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 19145
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by edwahu » May 16, 2019, 1:36 pm

PigRickman wrote:
May 16, 2019, 1:32 pm
Let's always ALLLLLLLLLLLLWAYS remember..

Every single fan base in every single competition across every single sport thinks the refs hate them... But apparently we're the only ones with legitimate claims about this right?
Apart from how nobody really said that you're right.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 44301
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by The Nickman » May 16, 2019, 1:44 pm

PigRickman wrote:Let's always ALLLLLLLLLLLLWAYS remember..

Every single fan base in every single competition across every single sport thinks the refs hate them... But apparently we're the only ones with legitimate claims about this right?
This is a very, VERY good point. Growing up in Queensland, all you ever hear is how hard done by the broncos are, how the NRL and judiciary hates them, and the rest of us all scoff at that!

Cowboys fans ABSOLUTELY believe the referees are out to get them every game too

It’s a shame we’re no different :(


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 26076
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Botman » May 16, 2019, 2:25 pm

edwahu wrote:
May 16, 2019, 1:36 pm
PigRickman wrote:
May 16, 2019, 1:32 pm
Let's always ALLLLLLLLLLLLWAYS remember..

Every single fan base in every single competition across every single sport thinks the refs hate them... But apparently we're the only ones with legitimate claims about this right?
Apart from how nobody really said that you're right.
Ok fine.
Let's always ALLLLLLLLLLLLWAYS remember..

Every single fan base in every single competition across every single sport thinks the refs treat them differently and we are adversely effected way more than nay other club... But apparently we're the only ones with legitimate claims about this right?

Happy now? haha
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 19145
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by edwahu » May 16, 2019, 2:58 pm

PigRickman wrote:
May 16, 2019, 2:25 pm
edwahu wrote:
May 16, 2019, 1:36 pm
PigRickman wrote:
May 16, 2019, 1:32 pm
Let's always ALLLLLLLLLLLLWAYS remember..

Every single fan base in every single competition across every single sport thinks the refs hate them... But apparently we're the only ones with legitimate claims about this right?
Apart from how nobody really said that you're right.
Ok fine.
Let's always ALLLLLLLLLLLLWAYS remember..

Every single fan base in every single competition across every single sport thinks the refs treat them differently and we are adversely effected way more than nay other club... But apparently we're the only ones with legitimate claims about this right?

Happy now? haha
I don't think people have said we are the only ones that have a legitimate claim to being disadvantaged by the refs or that we are easily the most disadvantaged. That's all hyperbole.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 44301
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by The Nickman » May 16, 2019, 2:59 pm

Ed, I think the main question here is are you happy now?

Are you?? I mean, really happy?

Always here to talk if you need.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 19145
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by edwahu » May 16, 2019, 3:10 pm

The Rickman wrote:
May 16, 2019, 2:59 pm
Ed, I think the main question here is are you happy now?

Are you?? I mean, really happy?

Always here to talk if you need.
Yes, thanks for asking.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 44301
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by The Nickman » May 16, 2019, 3:11 pm

Yeah, don't ask me or anything. ****
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 19145
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by edwahu » May 16, 2019, 3:13 pm

The Rickman wrote:
May 16, 2019, 3:11 pm
Yeah, don't ask me or anything. ****
I was afraid to go down that rabbit hole

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 44301
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by The Nickman » May 16, 2019, 3:20 pm

That's fairly reasonable, actually.
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

gergreg
Steve Walters
Posts: 7325
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by gergreg » May 16, 2019, 6:23 pm

greeneyed wrote:
kiwi raider wrote:
May 16, 2019, 7:22 am
greeneyed wrote:
May 15, 2019, 9:40 pm
The Roosters player couldn't possibly have run 10 metres... I hope I'm thinking of the correct incident... because he took the ball close to his own line and got pushed into the in goal. I thought it was a wrong call at the ground, but looking at the replay, it was clearly correct.
does he have to run 10 metres? or do the players in front of the kicker just have to be more than 10 metres from him when he catches the ball? I thought it was the latter these days
They have to give him 10, the refs allow the offside players to get involved once the player with the ball has run 10 (as the offside players have retreated 10).
I'd love to see a fullback just hold his ground, particularly in the case where the kicker goes down and everybody is in front of him. I give it 5 seconds before the ref shrugs his shoulders and says play on.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017

User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 26076
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Botman » May 16, 2019, 7:25 pm

edwahu wrote:
May 16, 2019, 2:58 pm
PigRickman wrote:
May 16, 2019, 2:25 pm
edwahu wrote:
May 16, 2019, 1:36 pm
PigRickman wrote:
May 16, 2019, 1:32 pm
Let's always ALLLLLLLLLLLLWAYS remember..

Every single fan base in every single competition across every single sport thinks the refs hate them... But apparently we're the only ones with legitimate claims about this right?
Apart from how nobody really said that you're right.
Ok fine.
Let's always ALLLLLLLLLLLLWAYS remember..

Every single fan base in every single competition across every single sport thinks the refs treat them differently and we are adversely effected way more than nay other club... But apparently we're the only ones with legitimate claims about this right?

Happy now? haha
I don't think people have said we are the only ones that have a legitimate claim to being disadvantaged by the refs or that we are easily the most disadvantaged. That's all hyperbole.
On the contrary, i think people have and often say/imply on this site that we are the most disadvantaged club. Nothing hyperbolic about that.
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 44301
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by The Nickman » May 17, 2019, 10:27 am

gergreg wrote:
May 16, 2019, 6:23 pm
greeneyed wrote:
kiwi raider wrote:
May 16, 2019, 7:22 am
greeneyed wrote:
May 15, 2019, 9:40 pm
The Roosters player couldn't possibly have run 10 metres... I hope I'm thinking of the correct incident... because he took the ball close to his own line and got pushed into the in goal. I thought it was a wrong call at the ground, but looking at the replay, it was clearly correct.
does he have to run 10 metres? or do the players in front of the kicker just have to be more than 10 metres from him when he catches the ball? I thought it was the latter these days
They have to give him 10, the refs allow the offside players to get involved once the player with the ball has run 10 (as the offside players have retreated 10).
I'd love to see a fullback just hold his ground, particularly in the case where the kicker goes down and everybody is in front of him. I give it 5 seconds before the ref shrugs his shoulders and says play on.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
I'm not even entirely sure how that would work. I think (and I could be wrong here), that as soon as the fullback catches the ball, provided the off-side players have remained outside of 10m, they're then allowed to advance, aren't they? It's only when they're inside the 10m when he touches the ball that it's counted, right?
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush

Post Reply