Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams on three year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Canberra Raiders reportedly settle three year deal for George Williams

Post by Botman »

Timbo wrote: May 10, 2019, 11:55 am Truthfully if Williams is coming I'd be looking to move along all three of Sezer, Williams and Hingano and look to sign a bargain basement backup half, and promote a rookie with promise to the top squad.
Yeah im not sure i disagree with that... I think the club is pretty high on that O'Hagan so he might be worth a shot at the rookie. And yeah go and find some Jeff Robson style back up.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I'm pretty sure you're describing Sam Williams to a tee.
Great clubman. Well liked by team. Can pinch hit the NRL for 1-3 weeks when needed but other than that not NRL standard. From the area so you dont' have to pay overs. No other club wants him as their starting half, no real competition to drive price.

Also O'Hagen has Austin level defence
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

O'Hagan is going to have to bulk up Sam Williams style either the next pre-season or the one after. If not I don't think he's seeing first grade in the NRL. Too many defensive issues.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Beejay wrote: May 10, 2019, 1:07 pm I'm pretty sure you're describing Sam Williams to a tee.
Great clubman. Well liked by team. Can pinch hit the NRL for 1-3 weeks when needed but other than that not NRL standard. From the area so you dont' have to pay overs. No other club wants him as their starting half, no real competition to drive price.

Haha that was exactly my thoughts when I read that post... you want to get rid of Williams, and then hire another Williams to cover for the new Williams??

Wot?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Is our club still denying this signing ?

Is George going to rock up to preseason before Don breaks the news ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Beejay wrote: May 10, 2019, 1:07 pm I'm pretty sure you're describing Sam Williams to a tee.

Well, no one wants Williams at the moment.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

At this rate he will be making his first hit-up and the club will still be denying it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

England icon's huge rap for latest Canberra Raiders recruit George Williams

English legend Adrian Morley is confident that Canberra recruit George Williams will make it in the NRL - despite the lack of success of English backs in the NRL in recent years.

"I think it's a coincidence that backs haven't done as well as forwards in Oz - I think any of the England Test players could make it in the NRL,” Morley said.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mole-c ... e1026f29ec
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

So now he's definitely being reported as a recruit??
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It's really only Wigan and their baghdad bob routine left standing.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I wouldn’t be surprised to now see this happen a lot earlier than expected. Williams is phoning it in for Wigan and they are absolutely horrendous. They’ll most likely get absolutely spanked this weekend by Warrington seeing them maybe drop down to 9th out of 12 teams. 3 or 4 tries went in through him on the weekend against Catalans. Seems like a few on the Wigan forum have had enough of him too.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote: May 22, 2019, 12:03 pm I wouldn’t be surprised to now see this happen a lot earlier than expected. Williams is phoning it in for Wigan and they are absolutely horrendous. They’ll most likely get absolutely spanked this weekend by Warrington seeing them maybe drop down to 9th out of 12 teams. 3 or 4 tries went in through him on the weekend against Catalans. Seems like a few on the Wigan forum have had enough of him too.
:thumbsup :clap: :cmon
:welcome: Williams
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I wouldn't be surprised. It'd make sense for Souffs to throw the bank at Rapana
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Matt wrote: May 22, 2019, 12:08 pm
julian87 wrote: May 22, 2019, 12:03 pm I wouldn’t be surprised to now see this happen a lot earlier than expected. Williams is phoning it in for Wigan and they are absolutely horrendous. They’ll most likely get absolutely spanked this weekend by Warrington seeing them maybe drop down to 9th out of 12 teams. 3 or 4 tries went in through him on the weekend against Catalans. Seems like a few on the Wigan forum have had enough of him too.
There’s absolutely no noise around this at all ftr, just a hunch/opinion.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote: May 22, 2019, 1:42 pm
:roflmao
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Knowing my luck this game will be the only one Sticky watches and he reneges on Williams and puts out an SOS to Austin for running past him 5 times on his way to a new record of 9 tries in a match!
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Great to hear he's a high character individual :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt wrote: May 22, 2019, 1:48 pm
julian87 wrote: May 22, 2019, 1:42 pm
:roflmao
Too late Jules. Can't back out now. Matt has latched on. ;)
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

One thing to consider for this to happen early. Williams would need to be here before June 30. Assuming these players are initially on a 408 visa which covers professional sports people coming here to compete. These visas take a month or more to process which means the application will have to be made by now.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

He is not coming this year

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Is this guy good
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: May 22, 2019, 2:31 pm
I don't know anything about George but it does not bode well that he's not competing now he knows he's leaving
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

magoo wrote: May 22, 2019, 6:14 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: May 22, 2019, 2:31 pm
I don't know anything about George but it does not bode well that he's not competing now he knows he's leaving
Agreed - if true that is concerning.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Whatever. BJ came here under similar circumstances. I'll pass judgement on George based on how he performs for us.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah im not really concerned by that. It's clear he's been leaving for a while, i think he wanted to be out by now and Wigan dug their heels in... is it great that his response is to just phone it in (if that is indeed what he's been doing)? No. Probably not, but then i dont think he's coming here to phone it in, so im not sure what we can take away from that other than if it doesnt work out, it might be worth not standing on ceremony on it and having a player who might check out when unhappy.

Ive got no idea if he's good. I am not hopeful because halves coming from the ESL to NRL have a terrible recent history, but i've also been skeptical of every single english player we've brought in and everyone bar Jordan Turner has been a major upgrade. So im just going in with a blank slate and ill start to form opinions once i see him play in the NRL.

Our hopes to turn this team into a team that could get hot at the right time and jag a premiership sort of rests on that question about whether he's good or not. If he's just a mid range level NRL half, this team can parlay that, and it's strike elsewhere into a formidable contender... if not, it's more of this year i think, which is a good team who might find it very tough to beat a team like the roosters in the finals
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Azza wrote: May 22, 2019, 5:43 pmIs this guy good
Yeah
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The whole team is deplorable atm it’s not just him not doing his job ftr
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

julian87 wrote: May 23, 2019, 11:21 am The whole team is deplorable atm it’s not just him not doing his job ftr
Yea Wigan have some big problems at the moment, on and off the field by the sounds of it, i’m not sure anything should be read in to his form at the moment, a bit like Nathan Cleary , just because the panthers are going rubbish doesn’t mean Cleary’s not a good half.
Wigan have lost a heap of talent over the last year or so both playing wise (sutton, bateman, Tompkins) and coaching with Shaun Wane walking last year
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

PigRickman wrote: May 23, 2019, 11:05 am Yeah im not really concerned by that. It's clear he's been leaving for a while, i think he wanted to be out by now and Wigan dug their heels in... is it great that his response is to just phone it in (if that is indeed what he's been doing)? No. Probably not, but then i dont think he's coming here to phone it in, so im not sure what we can take away from that other than if it doesnt work out, it might be worth not standing on ceremony on it and having a player who might check out when unhappy.

Ive got no idea if he's good. I am not hopeful because halves coming from the ESL to NRL have a terrible recent history, but i've also been skeptical of every single english player we've brought in and everyone bar Jordan Turner has been a major upgrade. So im just going in with a blank slate and ill start to form opinions once i see him play in the NRL.

Our hopes to turn this team into a team that could get hot at the right time and jag a premiership sort of rests on that question about whether he's good or not. If he's just a mid range level NRL half, this team can parlay that, and it's strike elsewhere into a formidable contender... if not, it's more of this year i think, which is a good team who might find it very tough to beat a team like the roosters in the finals
Same boat. I'm a clean slate man also so i'll just see how he goes. The optimist in me thinks he'll feed off the other Englishmen (Hodgson in particular) and he'll make a strong go of it. The pessimist in me dreads the Dennis Denuto of halves coaches wringing every ounce of playmaking out of him and we end up with a bulky McCrone.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Wayne and I seem to be on the same page on ole George.

Wigan Warriors' George Williams is "as good as anybody that plays the game", says Wayne Bennett

Wayne Bennett has given George Williams - bound for Canberra in 2020 - the ultimate accolade by declaring he is "as good as anybody that plays the game" on his day.

"When he’s at his best George is as good as anybody that plays the game. He’s got a wonderful skill-set and understanding of the game."

Read more: https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan- ... -1-9829448
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Only thing holding this back is Sezer not wanting to be part of the swap! Interesting 10 days ahead!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Ronny P wrote: June 20, 2019, 6:58 am Only thing holding this back is Sezer not wanting to be part of the swap! Interesting 10 days ahead!

That's interesting! makes some sense of the sezer comment a couple of weeks ago of "there's a lot going on behind the scenes"
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

kiwi raider wrote: June 20, 2019, 8:20 am
Ronny P wrote: June 20, 2019, 6:58 am Only thing holding this back is Sezer not wanting to be part of the swap! Interesting 10 days ahead!

That's interesting! makes some sense of the sezer comment a couple of weeks ago of "there's a lot going on behind the scenes"
Gees id be happy for it to be sorted. Love the idea of getting the pieces in place as soon as possible
Dont delete this GE
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I am assuming "it" is a trade prior to June 30.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Where would Sezer be going? Because I can't see him agreeing to go to England. It would have to be a three way deal.

Avoiding the UK would perhaps explain his recent good form though.