Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 *Spoilers*

Post by dubby »

I think they've rushed this series.

But on another note, some other series have really dragged on.

So it works out.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: May 14, 2019, 8:26 pm
PigRickman wrote:What did you find meh about the books, Dubs?
Genuinely curious?
Thought they were rather long winded and boring. So many characters, plots it became rather tedious and a chore to read.

I'm not bagging them. Just not something I enjoyed overall.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
fascinating.
I always thought the one thing GRRM did was to craft his books in a way where the plots and characters were very focused on the central story, a bit like JK Rowling in that everything is leading to something else and there is little page waste. But each to their own i guess.
Dr Zaius wrote: May 14, 2019, 7:38 pm
Azza wrote:OK so I've been away for a month and am just catching up, downloading S8 atm Now I'm discouraged - it sounds like it's rubbish? Even season 7 started to go off the boil a bit.
Na mate it's actually really good, but we all have ridiculously high expectations for it. No one was ever going to be completely satisfied. Well worth a look.
agreed, definitely watch it. It's good, just not as good as it could be.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Azza wrote: May 14, 2019, 7:19 pm OK so I've been away for a month and am just catching up, downloading S8 atm Now I'm discouraged - it sounds like it's rubbish? Even season 7 started to go off the boil a bit.
It's not rubbish. It's good.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Will we see Bron in the final episode?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 14, 2019, 8:59 pm Will we see Bron in the final episode?
we have to, dont we?
If not, why even bring Bron back for this season, what purpose would it serve for him to cut the deal with Cersei for Riverrun, parley it up to Highgarden and then never pay it... ohhh i see, yeah this could be a problem with the Double D's
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Since when have double Ds been a problem? What’s wrong with the world...
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Dr Zaius wrote:Will we see Bron in the final episode?
Yeah I think we will. He won’t last the ep though. He’s lost most of his bargaining power now Jamie and Cersei are gone.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: May 14, 2019, 9:19 pm Since when have double Ds been a problem? What’s wrong with the world...
:lol: Fair. I RETRACT my statement.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

It will all be settled, Tyrion will be basking in glory, and out of nowhere Bron puts a bolt through his heart.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 14, 2019, 9:39 pm It will all be settled, Tyrion will be basking in glory, and out of nowhere Bron puts a bolt through his heart.
And then back to Stokeworth with Lollys?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

PigRickman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: May 14, 2019, 9:39 pm It will all be settled, Tyrion will be basking in glory, and out of nowhere Bron puts a bolt through his heart.
And then back to Stokeworth with Lollys?
Sits on the Iron Throne. Or what's left of it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm looking forward to the good versus evil finale! Jon Snow... he might have his failings... but he's the only basically good character in the show. He has to take the throne!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That's if there is still a throne left after Dany has finished her evil work. I knew she would turn out to be basically bad. Let's face it, she has been most of the show.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:I'm looking forward to the good versus evil finale! Jon Snow... he might have his failings... but he's the only basically good character in the show. He has to take the throne!
If Jon Snow doesn’t retire to the north then I know less than Jon Snow...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Game of Thrones Season 8 *Spoilers*

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:I'm looking forward to the good versus evil finale! Jon Snow... he might have his failings... but he's the only basically good character in the show. He has to take the throne!
Haha god I hope Jon Snow just rips off his hood at the end of the show and says “IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, AUSTIN” just to completely confirm the fact you don’t understand Martin’s writing or the message he’s trying to portray AT ALL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He has a message!? Like... make sure you stay out of the way of dragons? Don’t upset their mum?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

With the exception of the mountain, even the monsters have a human side - Cersei, the hound etc. Even the good have a dark side eg Dany. We are all a little bit of Ying and a little bit of Yang.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Game of Thrones Season 8 *Spoilers*

Dr Zaius wrote:With the exception of the mountain, even the monsters have a human side - Cersei, the hound etc. Even the good have a dark side eg Dany. We are all a little bit of Ying and a little bit of Yang.
TBF, when he was a kid, the poor guy came downstairs and saw his younger brother playing with his favourite toy, and learned he could trust no one.

Probably one of the most relatable stories we all share. He’s misunderstood.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Tyrion is the last person alive who can give Bron what he wants. By that score Bron should be doing his best to keep Tyrion alive. Maybe when Daenarys is about to BBQ Tyrion for treason we see Bron take out Drogon with the last remaining scorpion.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 15, 2019, 8:36 am With the exception of the mountain, even the monsters have a human side - Cersei, the hound etc. Even the good have a dark side eg Dany. We are all a little bit of Ying and a little bit of Yang.
Exactly. GRRM's overarching message has always been there's nobody who is truly good just like nobody is truly evil, even characters like Cersei don't seem AS awful once you start seeing their own POV chapters, and everyone (even Daenerys) has their own motivations for what they do. The fact GE has taken away from this whole series that Jon = Good and Dany = Evil is very disappointing IMO.

I suspect when we get to Dany burning King's Landing in the books we'll have had plenty of her chapters and build-up to understand why she does it. It'll still be cruel, and it'll still be horrible, but won't be truly because she's evil and that's that.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Northern Raider wrote: May 15, 2019, 9:35 am
Tyrion is the last person alive who can give Bron what he wants. By that score Bron should be doing his best to keep Tyrion alive. Maybe when Daenarys is about to BBQ Tyrion for treason we see Bron take out Drogon with the last remaining scorpion.
Or Tyrion doesn't burn, confirming he's the 3rd Targaryen.

Nickman's love of NSW
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Haha I think the ship has sailed a long time ago on any such theories like Tyrion being the 3rd Targaryen, Bran being the Night King, Bran being Bran the Builder, Bran telling Aerys the Mad to "Burn them all", Jaime and Cersei being secret Targaryens or basically any other twist beyond "Dany is evil now!"
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I think we've established 1 thing. Arya's list is complete and she's now created a new list with a single name on it.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: May 15, 2019, 10:58 am I think we've established 1 thing. Arya's list is complete and she's now created a new list with a single name on it.
If Arya kills Daenerys as well after killing the Night King I'm going to be pretty pissed off.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

i think her assassin days are over. That warzone was highly traumatic, and i think she and Breinne will serve in the Kings/Queens guard
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: May 15, 2019, 12:13 pm i think her assassin days are over. That warzone was highly traumatic, and i think she and Breinne will serve in the Kings/Queens guard
Why do you think she rode off into the sunset on that white horse only to appear in next week's trailer back in the middle of King's Landing??
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Rickman wrote: May 15, 2019, 11:08 am
Northern Raider wrote: May 15, 2019, 10:58 am I think we've established 1 thing. Arya's list is complete and she's now created a new list with a single name on it.
If Arya kills Daenerys as well after killing the Night King I'm going to be pretty pissed off.
Yeah, I doubt they're going to have Arya kill 2/3 of the big bads. I agree with PigRickman, I think the Hound's talked some sense into her, and she's done Assassining. I don't know about the Kings/Queens guard, because I don't think there'll be a King/Queen once it's done. Maybe something like Westerosi Guard or something.

I don't know how they're going to wipe out Dany. I don't think Jon will kill her, he hasn't been that great when it comes to military strategy. He's good as a Fensom like "Follow me lads" type leader, but he's no Guus Hiddink.

The other question is what would happen to the Dothraki and Unsullied once Dany dies?
  • Will Jon just wipe them all out for their actions in KL?
  • Will the Dothraki just link up to the next strongest leader?
  • Is Daario going to sit idly by in Meereen while the love of his life is being attacked in KL?

Nickman's love of NSW
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I really don't know how this last episode is going to go down, but I know one thing for sure reading back through this thread... we've all been pretty **** **** at predicting ANYTHING to date!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 15, 2019, 1:29 pm
The Rickman wrote: May 15, 2019, 11:08 am
Yeah, I doubt they're going to have Arya kill 2/3 of the big bads. I agree with PigRickman, I think the Hound's talked some sense into her, and she's done Assassining. I don't know about the Kings/Queens guard, because I don't think there'll be a King/Queen once it's done. Maybe something like Westerosi Guard or something.

I don't know how they're going to wipe out Dany. I don't think Jon will kill her, he hasn't been that great when it comes to military strategy. He's good as a Fensom like "Follow me lads" type leader, but he's no Guus Hiddink.

The other question is what would happen to the Dothraki and Unsullied once Dany dies?
  • Will Jon just wipe them all out for their actions in KL?
  • Will the Dothraki just link up to the next strongest leader?
  • Is Daario going to sit idly by in Meereen while the love of his life is being attacked in KL?
Dothraki will be convinced to simply go home. Given what they've been through they'll probably welcome that offer.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: May 15, 2019, 12:40 pm
PigRickman wrote: May 15, 2019, 12:13 pm i think her assassin days are over. That warzone was highly traumatic, and i think she and Breinne will serve in the Kings/Queens guard
Why do you think she rode off into the sunset on that white horse only to appear in next week's trailer back in the middle of King's Landing??
Haha i have no idea, maybe she will kill Dany but to me this feels like it's Jon's duty
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

FWIW i think once Dany is killed, Drogon will just fly off and roam the world, and the unsullied and dorthraki will return back across the narrow sea and continue dany's work in Essos
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

PigRickman wrote: May 15, 2019, 2:39 pm
The Rickman wrote: May 15, 2019, 12:40 pm
Haha i have no idea, maybe she will kill Dany but to me this feels like it's Jon's duty
We're all assuming Dany gets knocked off. Maby she torches everybody and sits on the throne alone.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Haha yeah that's very true, like Rickman said, we've collective shoot about 0/3890 on this so us all just blankly assuming Dany is biting the dust is probably a good indicator that this final ep is just her executing everyone who is a threat...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: May 15, 2019, 2:42 pm FWIW i think once Dany is killed, Drogon will just fly off and roam the world, and the unsullied and dorthraki will return back across the narrow sea and continue dany's work in Essos
How are they getting back over there, are they catching an Uber??
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: May 15, 2019, 3:31 pm
PigRickman wrote: May 15, 2019, 2:42 pm FWIW i think once Dany is killed, Drogon will just fly off and roam the world, and the unsullied and dorthraki will return back across the narrow sea and continue dany's work in Essos
How are they getting back over there, are they catching an Uber??
haha i dont know! Maybe Yara will ship them home... but once Dany is dead what is there left for the unsullied and dorthraki in Westeros? No one wants them, no one is there to protect them, they've disgrace themselves with war crimes... they got nowhere to go but back home.

Besides since when have Benioff and Weiss given half a **** about details like that? haha