Game of Thrones Season 8 *Spoilers*

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 *Spoilers*

Post by The Nickman »

Make no mistake about it, the show has diverged pretty seriously from the books since they overtook them, but this was absolutely George RR Martin’s ending

This was how it was always going to go down

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm OK with Cersei being dead, but not Jaime. Ayre seems to be the only living soul.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Rickman wrote:Make no mistake about it, the show has diverged pretty seriously from the books since they overtook them, but this was absolutely George RR Martin’s ending

Indeed. One article I read put it beautifully. It's like they new the ending and have been writing the story backwards.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Rickman wrote: May 13, 2019, 11:05 pm Make no mistake about it, the show has diverged pretty seriously from the books since they overtook them, but this was absolutely George RR Martin’s ending

Well he decided what's happening in the TV show.

Dany is mad. Jon must stop her and he will. And this will be the best end.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I'm good with that episode with the exception of the death of the Lannisters. After 8 seasons of waiting to see Cersei die, I feel ripped off. Particularly after the little brother prophecy.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Oh no... they are both going to die with Jon stopping the finally revealed evil Dany. So Sansa takes over. Now I'm finally as obsessed as the rest of you about the outcome!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

The Rickman wrote:Make no mistake about it, the show has diverged pretty seriously from the books since they overtook them, but this was absolutely George RR Martin’s ending

I’ve heard the actor who played Barristan Selmy said in an interview that GRRM has finished the 6th and 7th book, but agreed to not release them until after the show finished, but this was the ending he had in mind.

Interesting if true. I’m just not sure how he would know that info
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: May 13, 2019, 11:05 pm Make no mistake about it, the show has diverged pretty seriously from the books since they overtook them, but this was absolutely George RR Martin’s ending

Yep, this is the right end point but how they got there will be very different in the books
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Game of Thrones Season 8 *Spoilers*

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, the storylines the last few seasons are pretty bad, it’s almost like George-RR-Martin gave them the main points (Jon being a Targaryen, Dany burning King’s Landing) and left D&D to their own devices with getting there.

Like you, I’m pretty disappointed with how Dany finally snapped, there was literally no reason for her to do that after the city had surrendered. And unlike people like GE (who has obviously never read the books) thinks, ASOAIF never has been and never was supposed to be about a pure “good vs evil” battle, every character was always supposed to have an element of grey about them.

If this final episode boils down to Jon and the Starks (good) vs Dany and the Unsullied/Dothraki (evil), then that’s a pretty disappointing conclusion to an epic tale IMO

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Rickman wrote:Like you, I’m pretty disappointed with how Dany finally snapped, there was literally no reason for her to do that after the city had surrendered.
My thoughts were that it was the idea of fear that caused her to snap. She realised she’d never be secure as queen if the people don’t fear her. She knew they’d never love her, because in her mind they loved Jon more. All season she’s been losing friends, family and loved ones, and I think she’s been feeling like she’s losing power, and in previous seasons she’s shown to make emotional, snap decisions to enforce her power.

I haven’t read the books, that’s why I really enjoy your insight and thoughts. I don’t see it as a Good vs Evil fight, but one about nature vs nurture. I’m hoping Jon wins, uses Dany to show the world how this obsession for the throne effs up even those with the best intentions, destroys it, and democracy prevails.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:

I’ve heard the actor who played Barristan Selmy said in an interview that GRRM has finished the 6th and 7th book, but agreed to not release them until after the show finished, but this was the ending he had in mind.

Interesting if true. I’m just not sure how he would know that info
I wouldn’t read too much into that if I were you. Apparently Ian MnIlhenney was furious that they re-wrote his character and killed him off (he didn’t die in the books and they were still very much within book territory when they offed him) and he begged the writers to reconsider.

Doesn’t seem like a man who’s had all you can eat to me.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 14, 2019, 9:24 am
The Rickman wrote:Like you, I’m pretty disappointed with how Dany finally snapped, there was literally no reason for her to do that after the city had surrendered.
My thoughts were that it was the idea of fear that caused her to snap. She realised she’d never be secure as queen if the people don’t fear her. She knew they’d never love her, because in her mind they loved Jon more. All season she’s been losing friends, family and loved ones, and I think she’s been feeling like she’s losing power, and in previous seasons she’s shown to make emotional, snap decisions to enforce her power.

I haven’t read the books, that’s why I really enjoy your insight and thoughts. I don’t see it as a Good vs Evil fight, but one about nature vs nurture. I’m hoping Jon wins, uses Dany to show the world how this obsession for the throne effs up even those with the best intentions, destroys it, and democracy prevails.
I believe that she snapped well before that final act of burning the city. It was protrayed as such with her demeanor following Missandei's execution.

I was a little disappointed with how easily Drogon took out the Iron Fleet, Golden Company and the battery of scorpions around Kings Landing. We've seen previously how effective these weapons were against dragons and this time round they may as well have been potato guns. Golden Company was a complete waste of time as well. Why even bother introducing them?

I guess what it displayed was the true power of dragons, particularly when wielded by a ruthless leader. It established how the Targaryens held rule for so long without challenge.

Very disappointed in how Cersei went down. A wasteful demise for one the series most critical and best characters. On the flip side I loved how Qyburn was taken out by the monster he created.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: May 14, 2019, 9:37 am Doesn’t seem like a man who’s had all you can eat to me.
THAT COULD HAVE BEEN ME!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

There was plenty that seemed out of place in that episode for me. Jon Snow just standing there while Varys got burned seems totally out of character as well.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: May 14, 2019, 10:30 am There was plenty that seemed out of place in that episode for me. Jon Snow just standing there while Varys got burned seems totally out of character as well.
So much of it didn't work. I can't think of too many scenes that left me satisfied. Cleganebowl was the exception.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I just remembered this and it got lost in the shuffle a little bit, but the final Jamie-Tyrion scene was excellent, and really well done by both actors. That hit me right in the feels
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

So I just read this on Reddit and it explains my Gendry theory/legitimisation a bit better. This post was in response to someone saying Bran was the next in line for the Iron Throne behind Jon Snow and Daenerys...

"It doesn’t work quite like that. Jon derives his claim from his descent from Aegon the Conqueror... all rulers (except Cersei*) have relied upon that lineage to justify their claims to the throne. Jon is the last of Aegon the Conqueror’s male bloodline: an unbroken line of father to son successions.

Once Jon is gone, that’s it: The Targaryen family will be “extinct in the male line”, and the claim must be based on female descendants of Aegon the Conqueror, as close to the most recent heir of the male line possible. This was how Robert Baratheon claimed the throne: his grandmother (or great grandmother, I forget which) was a Targaryen. This gave him the best claim to the throne at the time (outside of Viserys and Dany who were in exile, and Jon whose parentage was secret).

Tl;dr - After the extinction of the Targaryen male line, the Baratheon dynasty is next in line, the first succession based on descent from AtC via a woman. This means that after Jon and Dany, Gendry is the next in line for the throne.

*Cersei claimed power due to, basically, right of conquest."
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Something else that just hit me would be how devastated Jon would be feeling. Imagine going through that epic battle of Winterfell to save the living, only for your ally to go and wipe out a million people in Kings Landing. What was the point?
The Rickman wrote: May 14, 2019, 10:30 am There was plenty that seemed out of place in that episode for me. Jon Snow just standing there while Varys got burned seems totally out of character as well.
On the one hand, Varys was caught committing treason, and was being punished. I kind of relate that back to S01E01 when Ned killed that guy for leaving the Wall. So in that way, I think him hanging around and watching Varys getting punished was fitting.

On the other hand, if he did anything, he would probably have suffered the same fate. So there wasn't much else he could have done.

Nickman's love of NSW
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

PigRickman wrote: May 14, 2019, 12:30 pm I just remembered this and it got lost in the shuffle a little bit, but the final Jamie-Tyrion scene was excellent, and really well done by both actors. That hit me right in the feels
Yeah, that was lump in the throat stuff. We knew at that point they would not be seeing each other again and Jaime was doomed.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 14, 2019, 1:02 pm Something else that just hit me would be how devastated Jon would be feeling. Imagine going through that epic battle of Winterfell to save the living, only for your ally to go and wipe out a million people in Kings Landing. What was the point?
On the one hand, Varys was caught committing treason, and was being punished. I kind of relate that back to S01E01 when Ned killed that guy for leaving the Wall. So in that way, I think him hanging around and watching Varys getting punished was fitting.

On the other hand, if he did anything, he would probably have suffered the same fate. So there wasn't much else he could have done.
I'm with Fui. Varys was found guilty of treason based on the unquestioned testimony of Tyrion and quite possibly Jon himself. Varys didn't claim innocence either. Jon has overseen a number of executions for treason/mutiny. Lets not forget the hanging of Alliser Thorne, Olly et al for the mutiny at Castle Black. Since then he went soft on capital punishment because he needed every man alive in the battle against the dead. That war has come an gone so that particular philosophy is out the window.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I'm gobsmacked at how much people read into this.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: May 14, 2019, 5:22 pm I'm gobsmacked at how much people read into this.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
No one who saw Game of Thrones would say that.

Let's get him!
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Watched every episode. Read every book.
Books were meh. TV show very good.

I'm still a little surprised.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:Watched every episode. Read every book.
Books were meh. TV show very good.

I'm still a little surprised.

Well that’s a massive dubby by the great man himself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

[Emoji unknown]

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

What did you find meh about the books, Dubs?
Genuinely curious?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, I don’t know anybody who has read the books who would a) describe them as *checks notes* meh or 2) would claim the show is even remotely better, particularly since it’s gone past the end of the books!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Books better than the series IMO. Soooo much more happening. By comparison the series feels like the truncated version. Particularly the past couple of seasons where they have trodden their own path.

The books aren't without flaws (what is?) but still a fantastic read.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

OK so I've been away for a month and am just catching up, downloading S8 atm Now I'm discouraged - it sounds like it's rubbish? Even season 7 started to go off the boil a bit.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Azza wrote:OK so I've been away for a month and am just catching up, downloading S8 atm Now I'm discouraged - it sounds like it's rubbish? Even season 7 started to go off the boil a bit.
Na mate it's actually really good, but we all have ridiculously high expectations for it. No one was ever going to be completely satisfied. Well worth a look.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Ok thanks. I guess it's testament to what a good writer Martin is - the last 2 seasons without his detailed novels to base it off have definitely seemed to drop off, good to know it's not horrible though.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Nah, its not terrible. I'd best describe it as production values having overtaken story telling. Its become more hollywood style than the intriguing plot twists.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:Nah, its not terrible. I'd best describe it as production values having overtaken story telling. Its become more hollywood style than the intriguing plot twists.
That's pretty accurate.

Except for the first two episodes which were storytelling, and people botched that there was no action.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

PigRickman wrote:What did you find meh about the books, Dubs?
Genuinely curious?
Thought they were rather long winded and boring. So many characters, plots it became rather tedious and a chore to read.

I'm not bagging them. Just not something I enjoyed overall.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Northern Raider wrote:Nah, its not terrible. I'd best describe it as production values having overtaken story telling. Its become more hollywood style than the intriguing plot twists.
It is terrible, because that’s not what Game of Thrones is supposed to be.

I had no real complaints on first two eps, but the latest three the writing is beyond lazy.