Magic round

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Re: Magic round

Post by Wiki Special »

pickles wrote: May 13, 2019, 11:15 am Away from a rugby league heartland, it annoyed a lot of people that the Donkeys got an extra home game out of this and rightly so.
Manly were bringing their game against the Broncos to Brisbane again this year anyway so they would have had that game regardless, not because of Magic Round.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wiki Special wrote:
pickles wrote: May 13, 2019, 11:15 am Away from a rugby league heartland, it annoyed a lot of people that the Donkeys got an extra home game out of this and rightly so.
Manly were bringing their game against the Broncos to Brisbane again this year anyway so they would have had that game regardless, not because of Magic Round.
It shouldn’t be happening either way. If some teams are being pushed to play in country towns, they should at least be taking games to cities which get no Rugby League at all. If Brisbane is under served for rugby league (which it is) they should be another Brisbane team playing out of Lang Park ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Magic round was an awful success according to all measurables. An awful, awful success.
Dont delete this GE
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

simo wrote: May 13, 2019, 1:21 pm Magic round was an awful success according to all measurables. An awful, awful success.
Could you list some? I'm genuinely interested.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

there's 15 teams in the NRL that don't interest me, otherwise I'm sure it was great.
Edrick The Entertainer
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

A great steaming pile of a concept that advantages Brisbane. Thumbs down here.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

hrundi89 wrote: May 13, 2019, 10:57 am
Dr Zaius wrote: May 12, 2019, 6:40 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:One interesting thing about Magic Round is we can finally compare NRL attendance to V8 Supercars. When V8s announce their official crowds as being the highest in Aus sport, it’s usually met with claims the numbers are skewed because they run all weekend.

So with that said, total attendance of Magic Round was 134,677.

V8 Supercars weekend attendances in 2017 (First article I could Google admittedly)
Melbourne GP: 272,000
Adelaide: 272,000
Bathurst: 204,512
Newcastle: 192,242
Gold Coast: 186,259
Townsville: 142,478
Average that year was 116,000 per event.

So their claim has legs

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
That's a lot of bogans in one spot.
I thought League fans were bogans...?

Turn it up.

It's a bit unfair counting the GP attendance as a V8 crowd, is it not?
I was under the impression they separated the F1 ticket holders from the V8 ones, but looking at the attendance from this year, there were 324k viewing F1 across the weekend, so that's busted.
thedevilingreen wrote: May 13, 2019, 8:47 am The thing that annoys me there was next to no promotion for the event. I mean fox put the Hindy and fletch in a bloody bubble at the ground. The nrl did one event at the start of week and then nothing.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
TBF, the NRL's promotion strategy has been historically to send Beau Ryan to the CBD and poke fun at those who speak English as a second language, with Fatty squealing "How good's this?!" for 2 hours. They're scratching their heads now on what to do now that The Footy Show is off the air
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 13, 2019, 2:41 pm
hrundi89 wrote: May 13, 2019, 10:57 am
Dr Zaius wrote: May 12, 2019, 6:40 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:One interesting thing about Magic Round is we can finally compare NRL attendance to V8 Supercars. When V8s announce their official crowds as being the highest in Aus sport, it’s usually met with claims the numbers are skewed because they run all weekend.

So with that said, total attendance of Magic Round was 134,677.

V8 Supercars weekend attendances in 2017 (First article I could Google admittedly)
Melbourne GP: 272,000
Adelaide: 272,000
Bathurst: 204,512
Newcastle: 192,242
Gold Coast: 186,259
Townsville: 142,478
Average that year was 116,000 per event.

So their claim has legs

That's a lot of bogans in one spot.
I thought League fans were bogans...?

Turn it up.

It's a bit unfair counting the GP attendance as a V8 crowd, is it not?
I was under the impression they separated the F1 ticket holders from the V8 ones, but looking at the attendance from this year, there were 324k viewing F1 across the weekend, so that's busted.
thedevilingreen wrote: May 13, 2019, 8:47 am The thing that annoys me there was next to no promotion for the event. I mean fox put the Hindy and fletch in a bloody bubble at the ground. The nrl did one event at the start of week and then nothing.

TBF, the NRL's promotion strategy has been historically to send Beau Ryan to the CBD and poke fun at those who speak English as a second language, with Fatty squealing "How good's this?!" for 2 hours. They're scratching their heads now on what to do now that The Footy Show is off the air
They're the same tix, so yeah nah...
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Regardless the Supercars have still smashed them numbers wise.

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The biggest ratings on TV belong to the NRL, not a car race.
Let's total the crowds over an entire NRL season too.
I know what'll be higher.

I'm not for or against magic round. It'll eventually go belly up though, like the 9s and all stars.

I did think the atmosphere in some games was really poor.

Imagine our game played in Canberra? The crowd behind the team, pressure on the refs? Changes everything.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Rickman wrote: May 12, 2019, 9:50 pm I think my point is that most of you just whinge about everything you possibly can... the broncos, the nrl, the referees, basically everything gets **** on

I DO agree with the turf problem though, it looked poor today. The NRL needs to sort that out next time for sure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Suncorp stadium turf has always been appalling. The NRL can't do anything about it - it's not going to change.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I am not sure the surface was too bad. It didn’t look the best, but there was a decision not to water it and keep it short and I think it worked ok.

I went on Saturday and Sunday and thought it wa fantastic. A very different event to any other RL event I have been to but there was a great vibe with all teams represented. There was universal agreement that the Thursday night doesn’t work and I expect the NRL will use that to convince Ch 9 to not demand it which is what happened this year.

I think Brisbane is the right venue for it. Good weather this time of year and a strong base of RL fans that don’t get a lot of RL with only 12 games a year in Brisbane. It also has the infrastructure to cope with the influx of people the event brings.

Not everyone watches every game but that is not the expectation. There were good crowds and good atmosphere at all the games. Yesterday did feel a bit strange when for me it went from a celebratory atmosphere to a game that I desperately wanted to win.

I am already looking forward to next year and without the work impediments I have at the moment, I will be one of those crazy people that watches every minute of every game.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think if you'd ever decided to go to the Auckland Nines, you'd have found the atmosphere to have been Magic Round x 20.

Because the Auckland Nines did EVERYTHING much, much better than we saw on the weekend. It is sad the NRL found itself incapable of just copying the Nines.

But, yes, they were. Incompetent.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Magic round

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:I think if you'd ever decided to go to the Auckland Nines, you'd have found the atmosphere to have been Magic Round x 20.

Because the Auckland Nines did EVERYTHING much, much better than we saw on the weekend. It is sad the NRL found itself incapable of just copying the Nines.

Did you go to the Magic Round, GE?

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Rickman wrote: May 14, 2019, 6:05 pm
greeneyed wrote:I think if you'd ever decided to go to the Auckland Nines, you'd have found the atmosphere to have been Magic Round x 20.

Yes, I did.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:

Yes, I did.
Then your opinion is entirely valid then!

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: May 14, 2019, 6:20 pm

Yes, I did.
He was in the grumpy seats
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Northern Raider wrote: May 14, 2019, 7:12 pm

Yes, I did.
You don’t know the half of it. Never had a positive word to say about it all weekend.

Fair dinkum he would have booed Santa Claus.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Bay53 wrote: May 15, 2019, 4:43 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 14, 2019, 7:12 pm

Yes, I did.
You don’t know the half of it. Never had a positive word to say about it all weekend.

Fair dinkum he would have booed Santa Claus.
:lol: Would've been a different story if it was held in Canberra, mate.

I'll come with you next year.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Next year may I suggest all 16 clubs are on the field at the same time.

8 up one end, the other 8 down the other.

Maybe have 8 different coloured footballs..eg Rooster/Raiders chase red ball.

Now..that would be magic..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

-PJ- wrote: May 16, 2019, 7:15 am Next year may I suggest all 16 clubs are on the field at the same time.

Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Timbo wrote: May 16, 2019, 10:28 am
-PJ- wrote: May 16, 2019, 7:15 am Next year may I suggest all 16 clubs are on the field at the same time.

Top right. Hardest one to find the scroll on too
Dont delete this GE
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Magic round

Post by Sid »

I did it! I spotted Darius (circled in the middle)

Also I found Wally and Odlaw
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine