Total votes: 12

exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: thurling

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by exrefhollywood »

Billy Walker wrote: May 12, 2019, 10:04 pm
exrefhollywood wrote: May 12, 2019, 9:59 pm
The Rickman wrote: May 12, 2019, 9:37 pm Good grief, I just caught up with this thread and you mob really are a sad sack bunch of whingers.

I THOROUGHLY enjoyed that game, loved every minute of it, and thought it was great to see the way our team kept at it until the final whistle. Unfortunate for Nick Cotric how that last pass went down, but that’s football, and he’ll bounce back from that.

The big mistake we made was taking the 2 when down by 6. I honestly don’t even understand it, no team EVER does that, and there’s a reason why. We score a try there and level the scores and it’s game **** on. Instead we make the mistake up our end, and before we know it it’s 24-6.

Also, the refereeing was nowhere NEAR as biased as you idiots make out, sure the refs weren’t great, but there were plenty of decisions that went both ways. We didn’t lose because of the refs, not in the slightest.

Finally, as for the two captains thing, the referee is MORE than entitled to tell one player to go away, he shouldn’t have to deal with two players in his face.

Good **** grief, our team is playing so well and all you guys want to do is complain, whinge and moan. We play like that again next week and we’re a genuine shot of beating the bunnies at home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
:clap:

We were unlucky....Croker just lost control of the put down in the corner, and Cotric showed why he is a winger(can’t pass can’t throw)....gut wrenching stuff, but we have a long way to go before we are close to the top 3
Aren’t wingers supposed to take hit ups, make breaks and score tries? Fair enough if you want to say he showed he wasn’t a centre but he didn’t do much to show he’s a winger today. Both Raps and Simmonsen did more than him sharing the same wing position.
He should have put Croker under the posts
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

gangrenous wrote: May 12, 2019, 10:07 pm I’d say mental scarring from not taking the two in the Manly game is part of why it was taken today.

The sad thing is that the team for years has lacked tactical thinking. They don’t seem able to analyse situations and make good decisions in the heat of the moment.
It shouldn’t be that hard. You either agree the call is made in the coaches box and glance over to see if two fingers are in the air or you nominate a single player with the best feel for the momentum of the game to call it on the field.
exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus

Post by exrefhollywood »

gangrenous wrote: May 12, 2019, 10:07 pm I’d say mental scarring from not taking the two in the Manly game is part of why it was taken today.

The sad thing is that the team for years has lacked tactical thinking. They don’t seem able to analyse situations and make good decisions in the heat of the moment.
They don’t have a genuine leader, you have a Cooper Cronk, Smith,or thurston from years gone by, we would be a scary team
exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus

Post by exrefhollywood »

exrefhollywood wrote: May 12, 2019, 10:14 pm

They don’t have a genuine leader, you have a Cooper Cronk, Smith,or thurston from years gone by, we would be a scary team
Instead we have a Williams, Sezer or Austin........and we know where that has got us.......zero
exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus

Post by exrefhollywood »

exrefhollywood wrote: May 12, 2019, 10:15 pm

Instead we have a Williams, Sezer or Austin........and we know where that has got us.......zero
Everyone keeps talking up Hodgson, but seriously what has he won us???
exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus

Post by exrefhollywood »

exrefhollywood wrote: May 12, 2019, 10:16 pm

Trophy cabinet has been bare for 25 years
exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus

Post by exrefhollywood »

exrefhollywood wrote: May 12, 2019, 10:16 pm

Trophy cabinet has been bare for 25 years
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by gangrenous »

The Rickman wrote:
gangrenous wrote:I’d say mental scarring from not taking the two in the Manly game is part of why it was taken today.

The difference between those two situations are like night and day!

Unfortunately we got both wrong, but if the team thinks those situations were the same I’m very worried about their decision making abilities
I agree, that’s my point.

To answer Billy I include the coach in that, so I don’t think going upstairs helps. I like Ricky, he has a lot of positive attributes, but I don’t see tactics as his forte.

That’s why I really liked bringing in Ennis.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Taking the two was the wrong thing to do. I thought it a very strange call. Then the mistake to compound it. Making the error (and in the Manly game) is the bigger issue. You can't play dumb football against the better teams. I think Sezer needs to come back in to tighten up our defence. We can't keep conceding 20+ points a game.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

The Rickman wrote: May 12, 2019, 9:37 pm Good grief, I just caught up with this thread and you mob really are a sad sack bunch of whingers.

I THOROUGHLY enjoyed that game, loved every minute of it, and thought it was great to see the way our team kept at it until the final whistle. Unfortunate for Nick Cotric how that last pass went down, but that’s football, and he’ll bounce back from that.

The big mistake we made was taking the 2 when down by 6. I honestly don’t even understand it, no team EVER does that, and there’s a reason why. We score a try there and level the scores and it’s game **** on. Instead we make the mistake up our end, and before we know it it’s 24-6.

Also, the refereeing was nowhere NEAR as biased as you idiots make out, sure the refs weren’t great, but there were plenty of decisions that went both ways. We didn’t lose because of the refs, not in the slightest.

Finally, as for the two captains thing, the referee is MORE than entitled to tell one player to go away, he shouldn’t have to deal with two players in his face.

Good **** grief, our team is playing so well and all you guys want to do is complain, whinge and moan. We play like that again next week and we’re a genuine shot of beating the bunnies at home.

I agree with most of that. I normally can't rewatch a loss but I'll have a look at that again.

Reffing is over discussed. Who left huge holes up the middle and got no-one to marker/ didn't effectively see and cover for it? Not Suttor. Players WILL drop balls and miss tackles. Refs WILL get a call wrong vs your team. I see what would have been the Roosters sealer let go every week in the NRL too- Leipana 2016 scored off an awful lot of suspect passes because it was just so damn good to watch.

I have a feeling that's a couple of times Cotric has bombed it off a break like that now. He's a huge talent but I'd love to see what a fresh challenge at centre can do for him- as it stand he won't make origin in his comfort zone like this and maybe he needs a nudge to take something on for the teams sake- Oldy got a bit of a bath defensively at centre today and we already know his ceiling.

But two key players out, the Klock getting smoother and smoother in chiming into the backline and passing too each week and within a bees whisker of the premiers and #1. Yes they had problems too but thats NRL.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

gergreg wrote: May 12, 2019, 11:17 pm Taking the two was the wrong thing to do. I thought it a very strange call. Then the mistake to compound it. Making the error (and in the Manly game) is the bigger issue. You can't play dumb football against the better teams. I think Sezer needs to come back in to tighten up our defence. We can't keep conceding 20+ points a game.

I didn't see it as negative at the time. I saw it as at that stage, we thought we could get into the grind vs Roosters, get the ball back- we hadn't had much at that stage and then next try go in front. As if we thought this will be close, let's take points and ball while we can and control the game.

Poor play made that a poor decision, not necessarily poor tactics. It's a bit like a kick in general play- can be made good or bad by the chase.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Noticed CNK had zero strapping on his knee today - gotta be happy with that!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Mr. Snrub wrote: May 12, 2019, 10:06 pm
PigRickman wrote: May 12, 2019, 9:29 pm Yeah i think Rapana would have 1-2 REALLY good years left in him... but what's that against maybe 7-8 years of another really good player?
As i raised last time though, there is a domino... i like beej too but a big aspect of his value is his connection with Raps... if you let Raps walk, is time to shop Beej too? and how do you replace them both? Like could you turn Beej, Raps and Lui in an elite player and use guys like Simmonsen/Kris/Guler or whoever to replace those dudes in the line up?

and how does that value proposition weigh up? 2 more years of great Beej-Raps play and full steam ahead with what we have, or try and make a move for a truly special young talent? Those are conversations i think are at least worth having.
I reckon we just get rid of Wighton, Hodgson, Papalli, Croker, Whitehead..Actually just get rid of the whole team. Time to start rebuilding unfortunately. God, some the utter garbage that comes out of people's mouths on here is astounding
Torn between a "i like the way Snrub thinks!" line or actually responding to this childish ****.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

exrefhollywood wrote: May 12, 2019, 9:59 pm

:clap:

We were unlucky....Croker just lost control of the put down in the corner, and Cotric showed why he is a winger(can’t pass can’t throw)....gut wrenching stuff, but we have a long way to go before we are close to the top 3
So Cotric has put Croker or someone else over for tries probably, what? 10+ times in his short career with an inside pass... but he makes one poor choice and he's not a winger and cant pass?
VINTAGE GH! :lol: :lol:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BadnMean wrote:
gergreg wrote: May 12, 2019, 11:17 pm Taking the two was the wrong thing to do. I thought it a very strange call. Then the mistake to compound it. Making the error (and in the Manly game) is the bigger issue. You can't play dumb football against the better teams. I think Sezer needs to come back in to tighten up our defence. We can't keep conceding 20+ points a game.

I didn't see it as negative at the time. I saw it as at that stage, we thought we could get into the grind vs Roosters, get the ball back- we hadn't had much at that stage and then next try go in front. As if we thought this will be close, let's take points and ball while we can and control the game.

Poor play made that a poor decision, not necessarily poor tactics. It's a bit like a kick in general play- can be made good or bad by the chase.
I don't agree with the tactic but can see why (the reasons you oulined). That is why the error afterwards is so critical. You take the 2 because you've been starved of possession but then give it right back to them. It's dumb football.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@TheGHRaiders on Twitter

Time to VOTE Croker and Nicoll-Klokstad Canberra Raiders fans!

Choose who should be in NRL Team of the Week: Round 9 https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/12/cho ... k-round-9/ via @NRL

Raiders.com.au competition: Vote for Canberra Raiders man of the match: https://www.raiders.com.au/competitions ... vote-motm/
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

I thought it was a great call to take the 2 at that point. It showed the Roosters (and our younger players) that our leaders had no fear of them blowing us out. It was like saying at the 15min mark "this will be a dog fight and we will be in it until the end". I think it mentally sets up our comeback.

Who would be complaining about it had we of scored at the end?
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Boomercm wrote: May 13, 2019, 10:38 am

I thought it was a great call to take the 2 at that point. It showed the Roosters (and our younger players) that our leaders had no fear of them blowing us out. It was like saying at the 15min mark "this will be a dog fight and we will be in it until the end". I think it mentally sets up our comeback.

Who would be complaining about it had we of scored at the end?
Dead right and a good analysis, we were very close at the end and I could feel it coming mid way through the second half.
KasparRaider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by KasparRaider »

This is a very good piece of analysis about what we need to fix

https://www.facebook.com/91152996220116 ... 27&sfns=mo
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

SO even neutral commentators are complaining about all the penalties in yesterdays game.
WorkChoice
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

LP Raider wrote: May 13, 2019, 1:22 pm So even neutral commentators are complaining about all the penalties in yesterdays game.
Links?
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

greeneyed wrote: May 13, 2019, 1:35 pm
LP Raider wrote: May 13, 2019, 1:22 pm So even neutral commentators are complaining about all the penalties in yesterdays game.
Links?
Was spoken about on the Fox midday sports show today, Monday Bunker.
WorkChoice
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL Power Rankings: Raiders fall to fourth

4. Canberra Raiders (3)
It was a huge test against the Roosters and they were totally out-played before coming back but they failed to fire a shot when it mattered earlier in the game. The alarming thing for Ricky Stuart is that when the Raiders have played the top echelon teams their defensive systems have been pulled apart. They need to address that but the Raiders are still going to be up there.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/13/sow ... on-a-roll/

Jared Waerea-Hargreaves charged with a grade one offence for a crusher tackle on Canberra's Dunamis Lui but an early guilty plea will see him free to play. Michael Oldfield not charged for a crusher tackle: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/12/rou ... on-hughes/

Match gallery: Raiders V Roosters: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/05 ... -roosters/

By the numbers: Raiders v Roosters: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/05 ... -roosters/

Round 9 Moment of the week: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad manages to save a repeat set by working the ball out from in goal: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/05 ... -klokstad/
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

I didn’t get a chance to watch the game until last night but had heard parts of my on the radio and knew the result.

Overall there was a patch in the second quarter of the game where Sutton lost it a bit , especially with Hodgson and invented a few penalties. Other than that I don’t think there were any shocking decisions.

From my perspective the difference between the 2 teams was that we made a few bad unforced errors that have the chooks the ball and let them off the hook and they were much slicker in attack. The way their spine combined to open us up with slick passing to hard running players was amazing to watch. We just aren’t that slick with our attack yet and that hasn’t been the focus.

Given that we got very close and if we had a fully fit BJ and Rapana on the field I think the result would have gone the other way.

I would have like to see us spread the ball early in the tackle count a bit more. The chooks defence was very compressed and whenever we did we made good ground and got good momentum but we didn’t don’t often enough. There’s a risk there but also a reward and we needed to back ourselves a bit more.

It was a shame not to get closer and the Croker drop over the line and Cotric pass at the end could have been the difference but that’s footy. On to next week where we really need to find a way to beat the bunnies.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

We lost the game when we kicked the goal down by 6. Nobody kicks for goal when down by more than two, EVER. That was simply the worst mistake we’ve made this year, it was truly baffling at the time and it killed all the momentum we were getting back.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Id like to get another shot at the roosters with a healthy Beej/Raps/Tapine/Baeteman
We made too many dumb errors and some of our decision making as per above was baffling... i think they're a better team than us but we can get them if we play to our best
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

PigRickman wrote: May 14, 2019, 8:15 am Id like to get another shot at the roosters with a healthy Beej/Raps/Tapine/Baeteman
We made too many dumb errors and some of our decision making as per above was baffling... i think they're a better team than us but we can get them if we play to our best
And sezer instead of williams
Dont delete this GE
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

The Rickman wrote: May 14, 2019, 6:49 am We lost the game when we kicked the goal down by 6. Nobody kicks for goal when down by more than two, EVER. That was simply the worst mistake we’ve made this year, it was truly baffling at the time and it killed all the momentum we were getting back.

I actually think there was an earlier turning point where we didn't get the drop out because one of our players was in front of the kicker. That early in the game on an attacking kick every player should be making the effort to be onside and alive in the play. Instead we concede as penalty and they force a drop out at the end of the set and subsequently score.

There were a few momentum killers from our team including Sutton throwing a stupid forward pass attacking the line on about the second tackle, Lui knocking on and I think there was one from Havili as well.

The Roosters are the clear stand out this year, even in the top 4 they seem a step ahead of the Bunnies and Storm, even though the Bunnies beat them. The fact that we came so close despite missing key players and not being at our best shows we are getting there.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

pickles wrote: May 14, 2019, 2:01 pm
The Rickman wrote: May 14, 2019, 6:49 am We lost the game when we kicked the goal down by 6. Nobody kicks for goal when down by more than two, EVER. That was simply the worst mistake we’ve made this year, it was truly baffling at the time and it killed all the momentum we were getting back.

I actually think there was an earlier turning point where we didn't get the drop out because one of our players was in front of the kicker. That early in the game on an attacking kick every player should be making the effort to be onside and alive in the play. Instead we concede as penalty and they force a drop out at the end of the set and subsequently score.

There were a few momentum killers from our team including Sutton throwing a stupid forward pass attacking the line on about the second tackle, Lui knocking on and I think there was one from Havili as well.

The Roosters are the clear stand out this year, even in the top 4 they seem a step ahead of the Bunnies and Storm, even though the Bunnies beat them. The fact that we came so close despite missing key players and not being at our best shows we are getting there.
I was confused with that ruling... didn't the kicker put the chasers back onside anyway? Is that even still a rule??
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

pickles wrote: May 14, 2019, 5:31 am

I would have like to see us spread the ball early in the tackle count a bit more. The chooks defence was very compressed and whenever we did we made good ground and got good momentum but we didn’t don’t often enough. There’s a risk there but also a reward and we needed to back ourselves a bit more.

It was a shame not to get closer and the Croker drop over the line and Cotric pass at the end could have been the difference but that’s footy. On to next week where we really need to find a way to beat the bunnies.
Spreading the ball early occasionally does make sense for our team with its smallish pack to stop the other team compressing and bashing us and making good use of our edges, who are great metres eaters- Whitehead, Cotric, Toots can usually slide through for decent yards if he gets room and Jack is out there.

I watched the Cotric thing a few times. I think he would have preferred to kick inside but was kind of wrong strided for it and the half second he thought about that or going himself he lost the moment for the easy inside ball. I'd love to see the kid just take the man on. We had a tackle up our sleeve even if he didn't beat or at least get the offload away (which he would have).
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

pickles wrote: May 14, 2019, 5:31 am Other than that I don’t think there were any shocking decisions.
...not even when Croker had the ball kicked into his back and was ruled to have played at it and therefore six again, late in the game when we were only six points down and it would have given us the ball just short of halfway?

...not even when the Roosters player flopped to the ground, didn't get a hand laid on him, got up and played the ball?
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

The Rickman wrote: May 14, 2019, 2:19 pm

I was confused with that ruling... didn't the kicker put the chasers back onside anyway? Is that even still a rule??
Hmmm not sure. He was definitely offside and got involved in the play, I didn't track the kicker though...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote:
The Rickman wrote: May 14, 2019, 2:19 pm

Hmmm not sure. He was definitely offside and got involved in the play, I didn't track the kicker though...
The kicker had him back onside within running ten metres.

I swear referees don’t check that anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Just had a look, Young (maybe Sutton) was about 2 metres in front and got involved

Williams was left down field cause he got tangled up with the chaser

So fair penalty

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The kicker can't run the off side player back on side. The off side player has to give the opposition player 10 metres space. So they can't get involved. They used to allow the former interpretation, but no longer.