Roosters 13+
25%

Total votes: 12

LastRaider
John Ferguson

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by LastRaider »

Billy Walker wrote:
LastRaider wrote: May 12, 2019, 8:05 pm The referees didn’t lose us this game. We lost it ourselves in the first 25 minutes of the game

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Yep - first 5 after halftime not overly helpful either
Agree, it was a soft try we let in

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Two players from the same team have been talking to the refs for years without the referee ever imposing the ruling about the coin toss.

Seemed a bizarre moment to suddenly pull out the rule book.

I mean cmon. Sutton doesn’t worry about those other bits in the rules about forward passes and having the marker square. But he wants to apply the only speak to one captain rule. The refs boss needs to test him from Raiders games for a few weeks.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Boomercm wrote: May 12, 2019, 7:36 pm
edwahu wrote: May 12, 2019, 7:07 pm No way he made 145 meters that game. He played ok but that will get corrected in the review.
Aren't these the 'official' stats? (bizarre given they are not the NRL website or app stats). They indicate 101m, which seems about right

https://mc.championdata.com/nrl/?fbclid ... oFmAoY46zg
Champion are the old providers, the official numbers are on NRL.com and are by a company appropriately names STATS. Horsburgh has been revised down to 91 meters already.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

edwahu wrote: May 12, 2019, 8:16 pm
Boomercm wrote: May 12, 2019, 7:36 pm
edwahu wrote: May 12, 2019, 7:07 pm No way he made 145 meters that game. He played ok but that will get corrected in the review.
Aren't these the 'official' stats? (bizarre given they are not the NRL website or app stats). They indicate 101m, which seems about right

https://mc.championdata.com/nrl/?fbclid ... oFmAoY46zg
Champion are the old providers, the official numbers are on NRL.com and are by a company appropriately names STATS. Horsburgh has been revised down to 91 meters already.
very appropriately named. good to know :)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Billy Walker wrote:I can’t see the point of having 2 captains if the ref will only talk to the one who attends the coin toss as Sutton indicated. I really think this will force Ricky’s hand to make a call on who he really wants as captain.
Teams have had co captains before and will in the future

Sutton is just a ****

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

-TW- wrote: May 12, 2019, 8:50 pm
Billy Walker wrote:I can’t see the point of having 2 captains if the ref will only talk to the one who attends the coin toss as Sutton indicated. I really think this will force Ricky’s hand to make a call on who he really wants as captain.
Teams have had co captains before and will in the future

Sutton is just a ****

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Probably not clever having both captains approach the ref at once - kind of forced him to send one away I’d say.
exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: thurling

Post by exrefhollywood »

edwahu wrote: May 12, 2019, 6:58 pm Cotric came up with a couple of great tackles in the last 20 and is still a solid winger, but I'd agree that it's time for him to take on the challenge of center.
Why?......he showed that he can’t pass today
exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus

Post by exrefhollywood »

edwahu wrote: May 12, 2019, 6:58 pm Cotric came up with a couple of great tackles in the last 20 and is still a solid winger, but I'd agree that it's time for him to take on the challenge of center.
Why?......he showed that he can’t pass today
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

You can have 1,2,5 or **** 17 captains. It doesnt matter to the officials as long as they know who they have to speak to and who they'll allow approach them... that is always a singular person. Presumable to avoid having 5 **** captains approach them to discuss a call, and fair enough too.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Back from the game...I have to say that while our comeback pleased me, we look a different side to the roosters and that comes down to one thing, our halves and their decision making, cronk and keary just looked a lot better

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

julian87 wrote: May 12, 2019, 4:20 pm I’d consider dropping Lui if we have the troops honestly.

Also gee Simonsson hasn’t done a thing wrong yet. I’m a bit excited by him tbh because he obviously has the flare when he gets the opportunity
This will be controversial, but with Simonsson in the wings, I wouldn't be breaking the bank to keep Rapana.

Sure, he's still a great player and you'd want him in the team, but the injuries are starting to mount.

We could end up spunking a load of $ on a bloke who might start to decline quite quickly and that could be spent with another middle.

I'd rather have TPJ and Simonsson than an aging Rapana and Lui.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

PigRickman wrote: May 12, 2019, 9:01 pm You can have 1,2,5 or **** 17 captains. It doesnt matter to the officials as long as they know who they have to speak to and who they'll allow approach them... that is always a singular person. Presumable to avoid having 5 **** captains approach them to discuss a call, and fair enough too.
Agree - so is there any point having 2 captains when only 1 can approach the ref?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

MrPosh wrote: May 12, 2019, 9:08 pm
julian87 wrote: May 12, 2019, 4:20 pm I’d consider dropping Lui if we have the troops honestly.

Also gee Simonsson hasn’t done a thing wrong yet. I’m a bit excited by him tbh because he obviously has the flare when he gets the opportunity
This will be controversial, but with Simonsson in the wings, I wouldn't be breaking the bank to keep Rapana.

Sure, he's still a great player and you'd want him in the team, but the injuries are starting to mount.

We could end up spunking a load of $ on a bloke who might start to decline quite quickly and that could be spent with another middle.

I suspect you will be shouted down and called all number of things for suggesting this but for what it’s worth i 100% agree with you!
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

After 9 rounds we're in the top 4. Injuries may cruel our season but in comparison to previous years we are flying. Sezer/Williams will work it out on its own. Cotric to centre, Simonson in for Rapana, we still have a shot at going deep into the finals.
Still gotta be happy with the way things are going.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: May 12, 2019, 9:08 pm
PigRickman wrote: May 12, 2019, 9:01 pm You can have 1,2,5 or **** 17 captains. It doesnt matter to the officials as long as they know who they have to speak to and who they'll allow approach them... that is always a singular person. Presumable to avoid having 5 **** captains approach them to discuss a call, and fair enough too.
Agree - so is there any point having 2 captains when only 1 can approach the ref?
You're asking the wrong man, i've long argued that a captain is largely a Monday-Friday almost administrative role... it's basically just the player you think can articulate himself best with the media, isn't going to say something controversial, is well liked by kids, can answer questions without every saying anything of value, and wont embarrass your club with an off-field issue that will require him being stood down...

Is there a point, other than to anoint the club's best player with a title that places him in a station above the rest?
Probably not, no. But it doenst hurt it either and serves to further ingratiates him with the club so i understand it.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: May 12, 2019, 9:10 pm

I suspect you will be shouted down and called all number of things for suggesting this but for what it’s worth i 100% agree with you!
I've raised similar stuff before, and it pains me as much now as it does then... but Raps is 30 this year, it's time to start considering these options. Look at what the roosters did with Blake Ferguson. Almost identical situation.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

PigRickman wrote: May 12, 2019, 9:19 pm
Billy Walker wrote: May 12, 2019, 9:10 pm

I've raised similar stuff before, and it pains me as much now as it does then... but Raps is 30 this year, it's time to start considering these options. Look at what the roosters did with Blake Ferguson. Almost identical situation.
He’s got plenty of good games left in him and no doubt would be a great pick up for another club but I think it’s a sensible option. The storm have proven high quality wingers are a dime a dozen
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah i think Rapana would have 1-2 REALLY good years left in him... but what's that against maybe 7-8 years of another really good player?
As i raised last time though, there is a domino... i like beej too but a big aspect of his value is his connection with Raps... if you let Raps walk, is time to shop Beej too? and how do you replace them both? Like could you turn Beej, Raps and Lui in an elite player and use guys like Simmonsen/Kris/Guler or whoever to replace those dudes in the line up?

and how does that value proposition weigh up? 2 more years of great Beej-Raps play and full steam ahead with what we have, or try and make a move for a truly special young talent? Those are conversations i think are at least worth having.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Id love another 2 years of a fit Rapana.

30 is not old.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

PigRickman wrote: May 12, 2019, 9:29 pm Yeah i think Rapana would have 1-2 REALLY good years left in him... but what's that against maybe 7-8 years of another really good player?
As i raised last time though, there is a domino... i like beej too but a big aspect of his value is his connection with Raps... if you let Raps walk, is time to shop Beej too? and how do you replace them both? Like could you turn Beej, Raps and Lui in an elite player and use guys like Simmonsen/Kris/Guler or whoever to replace those dudes in the line up?

and how does that value proposition weigh up? 2 more years of great Beej-Raps play and full steam ahead with what we have, or try and make a move for a truly special young talent? Those are conversations i think are at least worth having.
I like the future focussed option
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Good grief, I just caught up with this thread and you mob really are a sad sack bunch of whingers.

I THOROUGHLY enjoyed that game, loved every minute of it, and thought it was great to see the way our team kept at it until the final whistle. Unfortunate for Nick Cotric how that last pass went down, but that’s football, and he’ll bounce back from that.

The big mistake we made was taking the 2 when down by 6. I honestly don’t even understand it, no team EVER does that, and there’s a reason why. We score a try there and level the scores and it’s game **** on. Instead we make the mistake up our end, and before we know it it’s 24-6.

Also, the refereeing was nowhere NEAR as biased as you idiots make out, sure the refs weren’t great, but there were plenty of decisions that went both ways. We didn’t lose because of the refs, not in the slightest.

Finally, as for the two captains thing, the referee is MORE than entitled to tell one player to go away, he shouldn’t have to deal with two players in his face.

Good **** grief, our team is playing so well and all you guys want to do is complain, whinge and moan. We play like that again next week and we’re a genuine shot of beating the bunnies at home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

The Rickman wrote: May 12, 2019, 9:37 pm Good grief, I just caught up with this thread and you mob really are a sad sack bunch of whingers.

I THOROUGHLY enjoyed that game, loved every minute of it, and thought it was great to see the way our team kept at it until the final whistle. Unfortunate for Nick Cotric how that last pass went down, but that’s football, and he’ll bounce back from that.

The big mistake we made was taking the 2 when down by 6. I honestly don’t even understand it, no team EVER does that, and there’s a reason why. We score a try there and level the scores and it’s game **** on. Instead we make the mistake up our end, and before we know it it’s 24-6.

Also, the refereeing was nowhere NEAR as biased as you idiots make out, sure the refs weren’t great, but there were plenty of decisions that went both ways. We didn’t lose because of the refs, not in the slightest.

Finally, as for the two captains thing, the referee is MORE than entitled to tell one player to go away, he shouldn’t have to deal with two players in his face.

Good **** grief, our team is playing so well and all you guys want to do is complain, whinge and moan. We play like that again next week and we’re a genuine shot of beating the bunnies at home.

I agree with all that. I thought we played very well, the refs were more involved than I’d like but it went both ways so that’s fine. I’d like to see Cotric have a crack at centre. I’d like to see the raiders pick one captain. I wasn’t fussed about them taking the 2 points but would equally have been happy to see them tap it. No arguments from me about anything you’ve said.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

I managed not to spoil the result before watching it at 530am. VPN service worked well, but man I felt like not watching the second half. The refereeing wasn't the reason we lost, but the last 5 minutes was bizarre.

I can tell I'm in the US when lacrosse is on the gym TV.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

reptar wrote:I managed not to spoil the result before watching it at 530am. VPN service worked well, but man I felt like not watching the second half. The refereeing wasn't the reason we lost, but the last 5 minutes was bizarre.

I thought I was in Bizarro World when they kicked the goal when down by 6 and the commentators were talking it up like it was a completely normal thing to do!

Now, I don’t watch much rugby league these days outside the raiders, but has kicking for goal when down by 6 all of a sudden become a thing? Because I don’t remember EVER seeing anyone do it before, and nor should they ever again!

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

The Rickman wrote:
reptar wrote:I managed not to spoil the result before watching it at 530am. VPN service worked well, but man I felt like not watching the second half. The refereeing wasn't the reason we lost, but the last 5 minutes was bizarre.

I thought I was in Bizarro World when they kicked the goal when down by 6 and the commentators were talking it up like it was a completely normal thing to do!

Now, I don’t watch much rugby league these days outside the raiders, but has kicking for goal when down by 6 all of a sudden become a thing? Because I don’t remember EVER seeing anyone do it before, and nor should they ever again!

Yes, definitely a turning point. Hopefully I didn't wake anyone up screaming at my phone!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus

Post by exrefhollywood »

The Rickman wrote: May 12, 2019, 9:37 pm Good grief, I just caught up with this thread and you mob really are a sad sack bunch of whingers.

:clap:

We were unlucky....Croker just lost control of the put down in the corner, and Cotric showed why he is a winger(can’t pass can’t throw)....gut wrenching stuff, but we have a long way to go before we are close to the top 3
exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus

Post by exrefhollywood »

The Rickman wrote: May 12, 2019, 9:52 pm

exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus

Post by exrefhollywood »

The Rickman wrote: May 12, 2019, 9:52 pm

I don’t know why we didn’t do it in the game against manly before half time, as we would have won that game if we took the 2 in front of the posts......
exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus

Post by exrefhollywood »

exrefhollywood wrote: May 12, 2019, 9:59 pm

We were unlucky....Croker just lost control of the put down in the corner, and Cotric showed why he is a winger(can’t pass can’t throw)....gut wrenching stuff, but we have a long way to go before we are close to the top 3
As per usual with this team......they build your hopes up, look like they might get the chocolates and then tear you a new one :cmon
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Aren’t wingers supposed to take hit ups, make breaks and score tries? Fair enough if you want to say he showed he wasn’t a centre but he didn’t do much to show he’s a winger today. Both Raps and Simmonsen did more than him sharing the same wing position.
Mr. Snrub
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Albert Fulivai

Post by Mr. Snrub »

PigRickman wrote: May 12, 2019, 9:29 pm Yeah i think Rapana would have 1-2 REALLY good years left in him... but what's that against maybe 7-8 years of another really good player?

I reckon we just get rid of Wighton, Hodgson, Papalli, Croker, Whitehead..Actually just get rid of the whole team. Time to start rebuilding unfortunately. God, some the utter garbage that comes out of people's mouths on here is astounding
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’d say mental scarring from not taking the two in the Manly game is part of why it was taken today.

The sad thing is that the team for years has lacked tactical thinking. They don’t seem able to analyse situations and make good decisions in the heat of the moment.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gangrenous wrote: May 12, 2019, 10:07 pm I’d say mental scarring from not taking the two in the Manly game is part of why it was taken today.

The sad thing is that the team for years has lacked tactical thinking. They don’t seem able to analyse situations and make good decisions in the heat of the moment.
Third captain perhaps?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote:I’d say mental scarring from not taking the two in the Manly game is part of why it was taken today.

The difference between those two situations are like night and day!

Unfortunately we got both wrong, but if the team thinks those situations were the same I’m very worried about their decision making abilities

exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus

Post by exrefhollywood »

Billy Walker wrote: May 12, 2019, 10:04 pm

Aren’t wingers supposed to take hit ups, make breaks and score tries? Fair enough if you want to say he showed he wasn’t a centre but he didn’t do much to show he’s a winger today. Both Raps and Simmonsen did more than him sharing the same wing position.
He should have put Croker under the posts