Sunday 4 May 2:00pm
Lang Park
Precint opens: 11:30am
Gates open: 12:30pm
South Sydney Rabbitohs V North Queensland Cowboys 4:05pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Partly cloudy. Light winds becoming south to southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h in the morning then tending south to southeasterly 20 to 30 km/h in the middle of the day. Chance of any rain: 5 per cent. Min 11 Max 25

Round 8 2019. Canberra Raiders 30 - Penrith Panthers 12. It was gutsy and determined. The Raiders went into the match with Jordan Rapana and Joe Tapine sidelined long term with injury. Joey Leilua was forced to withdraw on the day of the match. During the game, John Bateman - one of the Raiders' best players this season - suffered a fractured eye socket. Canberra weathered that adversity. Canberra weathered the adversity of being reduced to 12 men, with Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad sin binned - not conceding a point. The intensity was back, the defence was tough. And the points flowed on the back of that.

More on Round 8: As I saw it

In Round 9, the Canberra Raiders head to Brisbane for a meeting with the ladder leading Sydney Roosters at Lang Park, in Magic Round. Jordan Rapana (ribs) returns to the Canberra Raiders starting line up earlier than expected, but Joey Leilua (neck) has been ruled out of the match, with Michael Oldfield retained at centre in Leilua's place. Bailey Simonsson is surprisingly named on the interchange bench, rather than the extended bench. Hudson Young comes into the team, with John Bateman on the sidelines for six to eight weeks with a fractured eye socket. For the Roosters, Matt Ikuvalu has been named to make his return on the wing, with Joseph Manu moving back to centre and Mitchell Aubusson to the bench.

Late changes: Jack Murchie (who appears to have a hand/wrist/arm injury) and Royce Hunt have been omitted from the Canberra Raiders squad of 21 to face the Roosters, while Emre Guler and Aidan Sezer remain on the extended bench. Josh Curran and Lachlan Lam dropped off the extended bench for the Roosters.

Milestones: Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker is three tries away from leveling Jason Croker's try scoring record for the club of 120 tries.

History: The Raiders have won 28 of 61 matches against the Sydney Roosters. The Raiders have endured some long losing streaks against the Roosters since the turn of the century. But Canberra has now won six of the past 10 matches, including the last three straight. The Raiders won 21-20 in Round 2 of 2016 and 24-16 in Round 12 of 2017, with both matches played at Canberra Stadium. They followed that up at home in Round 23 last year, beating the ultimate premiers, 14-12. The Roosters scored two tries to one, but Sam Williams kicked five goals, in one of Canberra's most impressive performances of 2018.

2018 Round 23 Canberra Raiders V Sydney Roosters

The Raiders have never played the Roosters at Lang Park before. The upcoming match is a Roosters home game - and it is a positive the game isn't being played in Sydney. The Raiders have played the Roosters away 33 times, winning just nine times. The Raiders have won eight of 31 games in Sydney, won one game in Perth, and lost one game in Gosford. The Raiders have won six of 21 games they've played at Lang Park, and drawn one. Two of the matches, and wins, were against the South Queensland Cowboys - with all other contests to date against the Broncos.

Form: Raiders: WWWLW
Roosters: WWWWW

The Roosters are on a seven game winning streak, winning 42-12 against the Wests Tigers in their last outing and producing a dominant performance. The only game the Roosters have lost this season was in Round 1, to the Rabbitohs, 26-16.

Betting: The Roosters are raging hot, $1.35 favourites in the match, while the Raiders are paying $3.25. The Raiders have 8.5 point start in the line betting. The Raiders' odds have lengthened over the course of the week.

Stat attack: It is a battle between first (Roosters) and third (Raiders) on the ladder. Canberra has a six and two record to open the season, while the Roosters are seven and one. Canberra has won two of three games played away from home, while the Roosters have won all four games played away from the Sydney Cricket Ground, their 2019 home. The Raiders have won only one of three games played against top eight teams, while the Roosters have won five from six games against top eight opposition.

The Roosters are the best attacking team in the competition so far in 2019, scoring almost 28 points (five tries) per match. The Raiders rank fourth in attack, with an average 22 points (3.5 points). On the other hand, the Raiders are the best defensive team, conceding an average of just under 13 points (2.3 tries) per match. The Roosters rank fourth in defence, conceding 15.5 (2.8 tries) per match.

The Raiders have the better average completion rate of the two teams (77 per cent, Raiders 72 per cent). The Roosters produce more errors per game (13-10), but the Raiders have been less disciplined - conceding eight penalties per game on average, the Roosters six. In fact, the Roosters rank second in the league for errors and first for handling errors (10 per game), while the Raiders are now the most penalised team in the league. Both teams have averaged 52 per cent share of possession.

The Roosters make slightly more runs per game (176-169) and more running metres gained (1676-1527). The Roosters rank fourth for post contact metres (465 per game), the Raiders eighth (445 per game). There is not much difference in kick return metres (Roosters 193 per game, Raiders 188). Canberra ranks third for tackle breaks (33 per game), while the Roosters rank 12th (30) - but there's not much difference there either. The Roosters rank fourth for line breaks (4.3 per game) while the Raiders are middle of the pack (3.5). Both teams average around eight offloads per match. Canberra relies heavily on dummy half runs (17 per game) ranking first in the competition (Roosters just nine).

According to Fox Sports Lab, the Raiders now rank third for least running metres conceded (1324 per game), the Roosters eighth (1382). The Raiders have missed an average of 31 tackles per game, the Roosters just 25 - with the Roosters having a slightly better tackle efficiency rate.

Our tip: The tests continue to become more and more challenging for the Raiders. The Roosters are in red hot form, while the Raiders have a mounting injury toll. The Green Machine has Joe Tapine, John Bateman and Joey Leilua on the sidelines. The Roosters have also lost hooker Jake Friend to serious injury. But they still have an intimidating "spine" with the likes of Luke Keary (ranked first for try assists, with 10) and James Tedesco (ranked first for tackle breaks and third for running metres) in top form. On top of that, they have Cooper Cronk pulling the strings. Latrell Mitchell carving is up out wide and he is now the leading point scorer in the NRL - with six tries to his name. It will be a very difficult task for the Raiders to win this one.

The only way they'll do it, is for the Raiders to be at their most intense and to bring their very best defensive game - and hopefully smother the Roosters out of the match. Canberra must keep the penalties and errors to a minimum - and frustrate the Roosters into their own errors. They'll need to play just as they did against the Roosters last year.

Let's not forget that the Raiders have some of their own in very good form. Josh Hodgson was back to his best last week, Jack Wighton is dangerous in attack at five eighth, while Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad is having a break out season at the back. The Raiders have their own point scoring maestro in Jarrod Croker. And the Raiders still have some weapons in the forward pack - with Elliott Whitehead and Josh Papalii having immense games last week. The young forwards, led by Ryan Sutton, will need to stand up. If all that comes together, the Raiders certainly have the capability to win. If I'm tipping with the head, based on form, I'd have to say Roosters by six. Tipping with the heart, I'll say Raiders in a close one.

What they're saying:

Josh Papalii on the loss of John Bateman: "It's a massive blow, he's been a big reason why we've been so successful at the start of year. We've got some good youngsters coming through and that are playing good footy for the Mounties like we saw with Hudson Young on the weekend who went into that position and did a really good job."

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Michael Oldfield
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Sam Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Siliva Havili
15. Bailey Simonsson
16. Sia Soliola
17. Corey Horsburgh

18. Aidan Sezer
19. Emre Guler

Injury/Suspension

Joey Leilua (Neck) Indefinite
John Bateman (Eye-Socket) Round 15-17
Joe Tapine (Ankle) Round 15-17
Luke Bateman (Knee) Round 10-12

Sydney Roosters

1. James Tedesco
2. Daniel Tupou
3. Latrell Mitchell
4. Joseph Manu
5. Matt Ikuvalu
6. Luke Keary
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
9. Victor Radley
10. Siosiua Taukeiaho
11. Boyd Cordner (c)
12. Angus Crichton
13. Isaac Liu

14. Nat Butcher
15. Zane Tetevano
16. Sitili Tupouniua
17. Mitchell Aubusson

18. Lindsay Collins
21. Sam Verrills

Officials:

Referees: Gerard Sutton, Peter Gough
Sideline Officials: Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski, Michael Wise
Video Referees: Steve Chiddy, Ben Galea

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLRoostersRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2019 #FromAllAngles

Jersey Flegg team: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Re: 2019 Rd 8 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Sid »

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Match preview now updated for squads and officials...
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

The Panthers?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Bloody Gerard Sutton! I hate his reffing style.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Cranky Old Man wrote: May 8, 2019, 12:00 pm Bloody Gerard Sutton! I hate his reffing style.
Cranky is getting cranky

:P
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

reptar wrote: May 8, 2019, 5:53 amThe Panthers?
They were last week.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Northern Raider wrote: May 8, 2019, 12:56 pm
Cranky Old Man wrote: May 8, 2019, 12:00 pm Bloody Gerard Sutton! I hate his reffing style.
Cranky is getting cranky

It is my permanent state, NR.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Cranky Old Man wrote: May 8, 2019, 3:18 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 8, 2019, 12:56 pm
Cranky is getting cranky

It is my permanent state, NR.
Fair call
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Match preview updated for squads, weather and betting: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33366#p1657489
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Round 9 GE
julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by julian87 »

Based on nothing but a hunch I think we might see Sezer on the bench.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Here we go again..

#bleedgreen
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:Here we go again..

#bleedgreen
feels
Edrick The Entertainer
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

I doubt I can watch the game today... Mother’s Day lunch and gatherings. Hopefully I can sneak a look.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Cmon Raiders!
Sezer was training with the team on the captains run yesterday, smokescreen?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Dusty wrote: May 12, 2019, 7:25 am I doubt I can watch the game today... Mother’s Day lunch and gatherings. Hopefully I can sneak a look.

You're doing it wrong Dusty..

I'm off too see Ma right now..get it done..get back home..footy !!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: May 12, 2019, 6:50 am
-PJ- wrote:Here we go again..

#bleedgreen
feels
We will need to be at our very very best.

And hey..the Rooters are due !!

We have a red hot chance..happy Mothers Day boner !!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:
Dusty wrote: May 12, 2019, 7:25 am I doubt I can watch the game today... Mother’s Day lunch and gatherings. Hopefully I can sneak a look.

I'm with Dustbuster, taking Mrs Bone out to lunch with the Dragon lady.
Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: May 12, 2019, 8:19 am
-PJ- wrote:

I'm with Dustbuster, taking Mrs Bone out to lunch with the Dragon lady.
Have a great day boner..

I've got my Raiders polo on, (2011?) and my fav green undies..
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!!! Go the Raiders!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

If we can just keep Mitchell, Tedesco, Cronk, Keary et al contained, we will be sweet!
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Green Taipan wrote: May 12, 2019, 9:15 am If we can just keep Mitchell, Tedesco, Cronk, Keary et al contained, we will be sweet!
That’s important but I feel the real key to winning this match will be to score more points than the Roosters. If we do that I’m confident we’ll win.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I agree - I think we need to ignore all the noise about "containing Mitchell/Tedesco/Cronk etc" and just do what we do. If we let ourselves treat this too differently we psych ourselves out.

Game day vikings! Let's go!
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Greenmachine87
David Shillington
Favourite Player: David Shillington

Post by Greenmachine87 »

Good to see heaps of Canberra Raiders jerseys around Brisbane today while I’m stuck at work here in the CBD hopefully get a good crowd and the boys do well
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Raiders Lim! »

Big props from Chad Townsend for Cappy on the Sunday Footy Show just then.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

I'm very concerned about us having enough points in us today :(

I can't see us scoring more than 1 or 2 tries at best.

I hope I'm wrong.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Very tough day at the office coming up

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of today’s Magic Round clash between the Canberra Raiders and Sydney Roosters From Lang Park! The Raiders and Roosters are 1-17. Here are the final teams:

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Michael Oldfield
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Sam Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Siliva Havili
15. Bailey Simonsson
16. Sia Soliola
17. Corey Horsburgh

Sydney Roosters

1. James Tedesco
2. Daniel Tupou
3. Latrell Mitchell
4. Joseph Manu
5. Matt Ikuvalu
6. Luke Keary
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
9. Victor Radley
10. Siosiua Taukeiaho
11. Boyd Cordner (c)
12. Angus Crichton
13. Isaac Liu

14. Nat Butcher
15. Zane Tetevano
16. Sitili Tupouniua
17. Mitchell Aubusson
Last edited by The Greenhouse on May 12, 2019, 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Greenhouse score update service
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: May 12, 2019, 9:59 am
Green Taipan wrote: May 12, 2019, 9:15 am If we can just keep Mitchell, Tedesco, Cronk, Keary et al contained, we will be sweet!
That’s important but I feel the real key to winning this match will be to score more points than the Roosters. If we do that I’m confident we’ll win.
Agree. No one has ever lost a match scoring more points than the opposition..
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

-PJ- wrote: May 12, 2019, 12:46 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 12, 2019, 9:59 am
Agree. No one has ever lost a match scoring more points than the opposition..
The Storm have...
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Game Day

Post by Sid »

Don’t the final 17 get called an hour before kick off?

Edit 1 to 17
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I don't see Simonsson getting on

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

So we’re 1-17.

What role does Simmonson play? Oldfield might not play 80, Cotric to centre?
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

I am nervous nelly

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk