Post by The Nickman »

To be fair, that’s where it puts **** everybody, papa

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: The Politics Thread 2019

Post by Northern Raider »

I had another crack at Vote Compass and answered from the persective of the grumpy old redneck everythingist. Managed to land in the far bottom right square. :lol:

Going to have another crack at it and answer like a loony leftard egg chucker.

EDIT: Done the Lefty responses. They are surprisingly easy based on the questions. I managed to hit the very top line on Social Progressive axis. As for Economic Left I was close to the Greens but somehow they were slightly more left than me. :shock:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

papabear wrote: TBH I thought I was socially progressive but on gender equality issues I think it is a bit skewiff, I have always thought that if you embed an advantage to someone that will inevitably make them weaker because they get use to that advantage and thenneed to do less to survive / thrive, like the economic argument about the swimmer who swims with chains will inevitably become faster then the swimmer who does the same amount of laps without chains.
You might be a stronger swimmer, but if you’re still wearing your chains in the race you also always lose.

Plus some people are just dragged down and give up at their huge disadvantage.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I feel like the analogy would be more accurate if the swimmer was also being sexually harassed while in chains.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Manbush wrote: May 8, 2019, 9:38 pm
The Rickman wrote: May 8, 2019, 1:04 pm Actually, I think the last time I did one of these I was left of Labor socially but closer to the Liberals economically, which is where you want to be I reckon

I was talking to KW about this the other day and he said he’s the opposite of me... he’s like Labor economically and the Liberals socially. So basically, he’s a monster... an incompetent monster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That surprises me, I know a lot of people who are liberal socially but conservative economically but I don’t think I’ve ever heard of the reverse.
Imagine if the Liberal party had a leader like this and embraced pushed forward these views.

They probably be unstoppable.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Somebody should start a socially progressive, economically responsible party. Problem these days is any new party tend to come from the fringe dwellers on both sides of politics.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

papabear wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 8, 2019, 9:48 pm Just had a go on Vote Compass. My results haven’t changed since the last time I did it.

communist.
TBF that’s pretty accurate. I’ve always thought communism works in theory.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Congratulations to Victoria next month they will be the first state to allow voluntary assisted dying. :clap:
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Northern Raider wrote: May 9, 2019, 7:20 pm Somebody should start a socially progressive, economically responsible party. Problem these days is any new party tend to come from the fringe dwellers on both sides of politics.
Fiona Patten did :)
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 9, 2019, 7:58 pm

A lot of things work well in theory but in practice they fall apart, I’m a big believer in picking the best bits of all the systems rather than trying to be dogmatic and stick to a pure version of any.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Manbush wrote: May 9, 2019, 9:35 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 9, 2019, 7:20 pm Somebody should start a socially progressive, economically responsible party. Problem these days is any new party tend to come from the fringe dwellers on both sides of politics.
Fiona Patten did :)
Who?
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Reason, formerly known as the Sex Party, unfortunately though they don’t have candidates in enough electorates.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Schifty wrote: May 9, 2019, 6:55 pm
Manbush wrote: May 8, 2019, 9:38 pm
The Rickman wrote: May 8, 2019, 1:04 pm Actually, I think the last time I did one of these I was left of Labor socially but closer to the Liberals economically, which is where you want to be I reckon

I was talking to KW about this the other day and he said he’s the opposite of me... he’s like Labor economically and the Liberals socially. So basically, he’s a monster... an incompetent monster

That surprises me, I know a lot of people who are liberal socially but conservative economically but I don’t think I’ve ever heard of the reverse.
Imagine if the Liberal party had a leader like this and embraced pushed forward these views.

They probably be unstoppable.
Are the two things perhaps incompatible?? It seems every party on those vote compass plots essentially forms a diagonal line from top left to bottom right.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush wrote: May 10, 2019, 7:09 am Reason, formerly known as the Sex Party, unfortunately though they don’t have candidates in enough electorates.
And there it is ladies and gentlemen... we've all waited months for Manbush's obligatory mention of the Sex Party, but we've finally got there.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Manbush wrote: May 10, 2019, 7:09 am Reason, formerly known as the Sex Party, unfortunately though they don’t have candidates in enough electorates.
OK I'll modify my statement. Somebody relevant should start a socially progressive, economically responsible party.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Haha I just love how Manbush just shoehorns the Sex Party into every political debate, election after election, just proving to us what a free-thinking maverick he truly is.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I thought a Sex Party was one of those things where everybody throws their keys in a bowl.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: May 10, 2019, 10:47 am I thought a Sex Party was one of those things where everybody throws their keys in a bowl.
That would explain why Manbush votes for them every year.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: May 10, 2019, 10:48 am
Northern Raider wrote: May 10, 2019, 10:47 am I thought a Sex Party was one of those things where everybody throws their keys in a bowl.
That would explain why Manbush votes for them every year.
Assume they primarily campaigned for free healthcare for STDs.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Depends how you define relevant NR, they’ve been very relevant in Victoria for a while now and good policies have a flow on affect, safe access zones springs to mind and hopefully voluntary assisted dying will be the next one to flow to other states.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Seems we have very different definitions of relevant.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I think you'll find Bushy has very different definitions of most things, NR.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gangrenous wrote: May 9, 2019, 1:04 pm
papabear wrote: TBH I thought I was socially progressive but on gender equality issues I think it is a bit skewiff, I have always thought that if you embed an advantage to someone that will inevitably make them weaker because they get use to that advantage and thenneed to do less to survive / thrive, like the economic argument about the swimmer who swims with chains will inevitably become faster then the swimmer who does the same amount of laps without chains.
You might be a stronger swimmer, but if you’re still wearing your chains in the race you also always lose.

You have read my analogy in reverse.

To be honest I think the analogy is a good one because woman are becoming much stronger workers because they wore the chains for so long.

When I employ for a role, I never think I need to employ a man however sometimes I think the reverse.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 9, 2019, 7:58 pm
papabear wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 8, 2019, 9:48 pm Just had a go on Vote Compass. My results haven’t changed since the last time I did it.

communist.
And in practice just look how good Venezuela turned out ;)
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2019

Post by gangrenous »

papabear wrote:
gangrenous wrote: May 9, 2019, 1:04 pm

You have read my analogy in reverse.

To be honest I think the analogy is a good one because woman are becoming much stronger workers because they wore the chains for so long.

When I employ for a role, I never think I need to employ a man however sometimes I think the reverse.
Thing is the people who get the advantage don’t need to do less. Just to level them thanks to the disadvantage they have compared to everyone else.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Difficult to tell what's happening at the moment, in terms of momentum. Some outlets, like the ABC, are saying something shifted as of the Daily Telegraph story and Labor has picked up momentum. Others are saying the margin is getting narrower.

The phenomenon of narrowing TPP during an election campaign is really quite astounding, regardless of who's in government. The amount of people that have abandoned one side during the term that can be swayed back by the whispering of sweet nothings during a campaign - I don't understand it. The average swing voter seems to lack conviction.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Well I’m still not entirely convinced who I’m voting for yet Sterlk, although I’ll probably vote the Libs

A few months back I was certain I was going to vote Labor

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

On what basis?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

On what basis what??
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Pretty sure this is what you call rock bottom in terms of politics in Australia..

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/outrage-as- ... GR4OIzpLoU
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2019

Post by gangrenous »

The Rickman wrote:On what basis what??
Are you thinking of voting Liberal.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Because the alternative is Labor

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

That doesn’t explain it. You said you were surprised you’d changed. Labor were Labor before.

Why the change?
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

I’m guessing because of the economy fear mongering. Image

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: May 14, 2019, 6:47 am That doesn’t explain it. You said you were surprised you’d changed. Labor were Labor before.

Why the change?
It's the Bill we can't afford, Gangers.

Honestly i want to vote ALP, i did last federal election but i just cant get remotely enthused by anything Shorten is doing. And he's extremely unlikable. And im sure as **** not seeing any reason to vote LIB. Not that it matters, my seat is a very safe ALP seat but im pretty sure im voting IND