Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Botman »

**** hell of a week
The cowards won, that's for sure and certain
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: April 30, 2019, 11:05 pm I don’t know what the best piece of fiction I’ve witnessed this week has been
* Endgame
* Battle of Winterfell
* Hodgo needing to be dropped to Mounties
* Our 80% goal kicker needing to be relieved of his duties.

It’s really been a week

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
How about Raiders are getting 16 or 17,000 fans at home... and they decide to take a home game away to a ground with no grandstand for the public... a maximum capacity of 10,000... charge the members for a game they’re can’t go to... or if they do go they’re charging them twice... plus give away their home ground advantage.

How about that for an incredible story?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

they just came off a season where they called the crowds 10k and no one who went to the stadium with their eyes open saw a crowd that sniffed 5 figures and local government that would sooner hand over fists of cash and significant investment into a part time franchise.. so yeah, go and get the money in wagga. You aint getting it locally.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Win some football games and they come. We kept getting told we had 20,000 members last season. That we have 18,000 now. So we take a game to a substandard ground, that holds 10,000. Something is not adding up...

And I know all the ins and outs.

It’s just not right what the Raiders have done to the members and Canberra public this year with this.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

The Rickman wrote:
Neeeegz wrote: April 30, 2019, 5:55 pm
BadnMean wrote:If he'd kicked 5/5 including that penalty we didn't take at 14-6 we would have won, so clearly his kicking cost us the game. The thread stands.
🤣🤣🤣 well, since you put it like that... it's right in a cowardly kind of way

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Nice use of the lingo, Neeeeeeeegz.
Thanks EDIT

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Well... touche??
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

What are the ins and outs, GE?

I’m disappointed at missing a home game too but isn’t the idea to reclaim traditional league territory from the invading army of the AFL white walkers?

The club could have discounted our memberships but it’d wouldn’t have amounted to much and nearly all clubs do it. I’d be far more annoyed if we’d lost a game to the Magic Round.

Is there more to it?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'd say it has a lot to do with two things:

1. The Raiders are in the process of renegotiating their deal with the ACT Government to play their home season at Canberra Stadium (I guess it is doubtful we'll see a new one within the next decade at the rate we're going). The ACT Government has treated the Raiders poorly in comparison to other codes on a per game financial incentive. I expect the Raiders will be wanting to demonstrate to the ACT that their games are in demand and there are bigger financial incentives on offer elsewhere in the context of those negotiations.

2. The NSW Government stumped up cash for the Raiders new centre of excellence at Braddon. It won't have been a formal part of the agreement... but I have little doubt that there was a nod and a wink that the Raiders would take NRL games and trials to NSW country towns if the money was forthcoming. This is bundled up as the Raiders being a team for both the ACT and southern NSW regions. Personally, I think the latter is a good thing and can be achieved without taking an NRL home game away from Canberra (Raiders' trials should always be staged in the "bush"... but we had one this year at St Marys in Sydney).
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I really think you might be overreacting on this one a bit, Ferg.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I reckon we just aren't a good enough team to ever give up home ground advantage. If it's the difference between winning and losing this weekend it could easily cost the club a lot more money than it makes.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Is this thread going to be changed to “the signing thread” since it now includes the signing of venue deals?
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote: May 1, 2019, 2:34 pm Is this thread going to be changed to “the signing thread” since it now includes the signing of venue deals?
No, that's going to become a new thread, located entirely in the Lime Lounge.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

The Rickman wrote: May 1, 2019, 2:39 pm
simo wrote: May 1, 2019, 2:34 pm Is this thread going to be changed to “the signing thread” since it now includes the signing of venue deals?
No, that's going to become a new thread, located entirely in the Lime Lounge.
Will edits be served?
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

In my view, the NRL should not be expecting the Raiders to shift games to country towns, as they are already the only team based in the middle of rural NSW. The NRL allows Sydney teams to principally play each other. They play far flung teams against each other. That means Raiders fans already are expected to travel far further to away games than the fans in Sydney. This adds another six or seven hour road trip.

Even when teams in Sydney transfer a couple of games away, their supporters still get three quarters of their games in Sydney. Teams like the Rabbitohs still get 12 games at essentially their current or former home ground. The Sydney market might be over serviced for rugby league, but I don't think Canberra is, with just 12 games. One team towns, the Broncos, Cowboys and Titans don’t take home games away to country venues.

Unfortunately, Wagga's rugby league ground has very basic facilities. I've traveled to Mudgee and Bathurst in the past couple of years... and have been treated better by the Dragons and Panthers in terms of being able to purchase a grandstand seat at a reasonable price. Raiders members have lost a home game (effectively something like a 10 per cent price increase for the 11 games)... and to get a grandstand seat at Wagga, you had to pay an extra $220 (off the top of my head). This is because the grandstand is so small. Members only effectively have the option of a GA ticket at Wagga, with no cover from the elements available. The maximum possible crowd at Wagga is 10,000... I do not understand the mentality of moving your premium product to a ground with poorer facilities and guaranteed smaller crowd.

As I've said before... I support trial games in country venues... I've gone to a heap of them, I've been to Wagga, Griffith, Bega, Dubbo, Orange and Tamworth - but at least there your generally get a shot at a grandstand seat or at least some shade. But I don't agree with transferring NRL games.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Yep..definately a ranga !!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

greeneyed wrote: May 1, 2019, 2:04 pm I'd say it has a lot to do with two things:

1. The Raiders are in the process of renegotiating their deal with the ACT Government to play their home season at Canberra Stadium (I guess it is doubtful we'll see a new one within the next decade at the rate we're going). The ACT Government has treated the Raiders poorly in comparison to other codes on a per game financial incentive. I expect the Raiders will be wanting to demonstrate to the ACT that their games are in demand and there are bigger financial incentives on offer elsewhere in the context of those negotiations.

2. The NSW Government stumped up cash for the Raiders new centre of excellence at Braddon. It won't have been a formal part of the agreement... but I have little doubt that there was a nod and a wink that the Raiders would take NRL games and trials to NSW country towns if the money was forthcoming. This is bundled up as the Raiders being a team for both the ACT and southern NSW regions. Personally, I think the latter is a good thing and can be achieved without taking an NRL home game away from Canberra (Raiders' trials should always be staged in the "bush"... but we had one this year at St Marys in Sydney).
Not sure either of those things are proper problems, mate. Getting tough with the government to get a better deal long-term sounds reasonable to me. As does taking a game to the bush in return for funds to build better facilities.

Both of those things help the club and, while I still agree it’s a shame we lose a Canberra game, it’s not a massive loss if the club gets two long-term benefits - three if you count the improved connection with the regional community- - out of it.

I think the club could probably just have paid a little more concession to local fans by making it easier and cheaper to attend the Wagga game and/or made a gesture to compensate for the lost game.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ruben Daley wrote: May 2, 2019, 9:24 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 1, 2019, 2:04 pm I'd say it has a lot to do with two things:

Not sure either of those things are proper problems, mate. Getting tough with the government to get a better deal long-term sounds reasonable to me. As does taking a game to the bush in return for funds to build better facilities.

Both of those things help the club and, while I still agree it’s a shame we lose a Canberra game, it’s not a massive loss if the club gets two long-term benefits - three if you count the improved connection with the regional community- - out of it.

I think the club could probably just have paid a little more concession to local fans by making it easier and cheaper to attend the Wagga game and/or made a gesture to compensate for the lost game.
It's a problem when the Canberra Raiders members are denied a home match... that they've paid for. It is a problem when we're transferring games to poorer venues with a guaranteed much smaller crowd, simply because of dollars paid by regional or local governments.

The Raiders still seem to be complaining about the $150,000 penalty for breaking their contract with the ACT Government today. As an ACT taxpayer, I fully support the ACT Government enforcing their contract. Under the terms of that deal, the Raiders have received in excess of that amount for not playing a game at their home ground! Yet they're not playing in their home city.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

https://weareraiders.com.au/membership- ... xt-season/

Your first sentence is a bold lie, it was announced prior to memberships going on sale that this game was going to be moved. Members who signed or renewed for 2019 knew full well they would be paying for 11 games rather than 12 hence why no compensation was offered in lieu of the 12th game.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: May 3, 2019, 1:38 am https://weareraiders.com.au/membership- ... xt-season/

Your first sentence is a bold lie, it was announced prior to memberships going on sale that this game was going to be moved. Members who signed or renewed for 2019 knew full well they would be paying for 11 games rather than 12 hence why no compensation was offered in lieu of the 12th game.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
It was initially advertised on line and in membership brochures as “home games” with the number unspecified. It was left deliberately vague. And that is why no compensation is being offered. There was no mention of a home game being transferred to Wagga. What you see there is an announcement later, after the transfer decision was made.

You can see the reaction here: https://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=32979

It wasn’t clear at all that the transfer would happen... when the decision on prices was made and the membership price was announced. If it hadn’t happened, we’d have received 12 games. Instead we’ve faced an effective price rise approaching 10 per cent.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

What do we want?
A stadium!
When do we want it?
NOW!
What do we want?
Home games in Canberra.
When do we want it?
FOREVER
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

I wonder if we are making enquiries into blake green. Could slot into 7 for us if the warriors are happy to let him go
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote: May 8, 2019, 1:34 pm I wonder if we are making enquiries into blake green. Could slot into 7 for us if the warriors are happy to let him go
Wrong thread, mate. This is the thread where GE complains about things that benefit the club but directly inconvenience hm.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I don't see Warriors being keen to let Green go, but yeah I'd take Green at 7
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Sid wrote: May 8, 2019, 1:41 pm I don't see Warriors being keen to let Green go, but yeah I'd take Green at 7
Theyve signed nikorima on an oddly large deal and really cant afford to keep harris tevita in reggies given the talent he has. Green in last year of his deal
Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

The Rickman wrote: May 8, 2019, 1:40 pm
simo wrote: May 8, 2019, 1:34 pm I wonder if we are making enquiries into blake green. Could slot into 7 for us if the warriors are happy to let him go
Wrong thread, mate. This is the thread where GE complains about things that benefit the club but directly inconvenience hm.
Youre going the right way about getting yourself an edit
Dont delete this GE
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

simo wrote: May 8, 2019, 1:43 pm
Sid wrote: May 8, 2019, 1:41 pm I don't see Warriors being keen to let Green go, but yeah I'd take Green at 7
Theyve signed nikorima on an oddly large deal and really cant afford to keep harris tevita in reggies given the talent he has. Green in last year of his deal
Greens contracted to the end of 2020, they signed Nikorima because they wanted more experience in the halves not less so would be amazed if they wanted rid of green.
Harris Tavita needs time to develop, playing reserves with 7/8 first grade games per year for the next couple of years is an ideal development path imo
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

kiwi raider wrote: May 8, 2019, 1:58 pm
simo wrote: May 8, 2019, 1:43 pm
Greens contracted to the end of 2020, they signed Nikorima because they wanted more experience in the halves not less so would be amazed if they wanted rid of green.
Harris Tavita needs time to develop, playing reserves with 7/8 first grade games per year for the next couple of years is an ideal development path imo
Bugger. Must have missheard that he was only contracted until 2020 instead of “end of”. Carry on
Dont delete this GE
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Green has a dodgy groin, and we just signed Georgie Williams.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Sorry, they want be pack what?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The Rickman wrote: May 9, 2019, 10:28 am Sorry, they want be pack what?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Say what now?
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Id like anyone who **** the idea of signing Chad Townsend to put their hand up and apologise. Hes been outstanding for the sharks yet again and would have been the perfect right side option to compliment jack
Dont delete this GE
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

simo wrote:Id like anyone who **** the idea of signing Chad Townsend to put their hand up and apologise. Hes been outstanding for the sharks yet again and would have been the perfect right side option to compliment jack
On another note, can see why the Warriors let Johnson walk, I mean limp out the door. He's as injury prone as Foran.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

TPJ weighing up options from other clubs:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/the-kick-o ... bc22f0ee61

Who **** knows what's true at this point.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Looking at our squad it seems pretty full up after signing G Williams. Would we be able to fit this in the cap for 2020? Keeping in mind Horse, Young, Rapana and S Williams aren't contracted for next year.

1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. G Williams
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. TPJ
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead