Joey Leilua cleared to return to training

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

T_R
Don Furner

Re: Joey Leilua out for the year?

Post by T_R »

Having suffered this little charmer of an injury, it kinda goes like this .... you have a general soreness in the back for a week or two. Not enough to unduly alarm you, just enough to be uncomfortable. Then, one morning you wake up and it feels like someone has jammed a carving knife into the base of your spine. You can't move, you can't sit, you can't even think straight. You just have to pop pain killers and wait while it settles down and the doctor can plan a next step. It's horrible, recovery time is long (took me a year) and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

T_R wrote:Having suffered this little charmer of an injury, it kinda goes like this .... you have a general soreness in the back for a week or two. Not enough to unduly alarm you, just enough to be uncomfortable. Then, one morning you wake up and it feels like someone has jammed a carving knife into the base of your spine. You can't move, you can't sit, you can't even think straight. You just have to pop pain killers and wait while it settles down and the doctor can plan a next step. It's horrible, recovery time is long (took me a year) and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
thanks, I was confused how he went from beast to surgery when there were training photos and Instagram wishes for game 200.
Edrick The Entertainer
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Sounds entirely ****. :(
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

Didnt be cop a crusher in the manly game or the one before? Must be a result of that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Is James Hooper still the only source on this? I'll refrain from panic as he is the type of reporter that will treat the absolute worst case scenario as fact.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

These injuries are devastating :(

Bateman and Joey have been outstanding and both stand to miss a fair chunk of the season.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: May 9, 2019, 10:02 am Is James Hooper still the only source on this? I'll refrain from panic as he is the type of reporter that will treat the absolute worst case scenario as fact.
Thats a fair point. If he gets word there's an issue that potentially requires surgery then thats what he'll report. For all we know it might only be a 10% chance surgery is needed. Obviously the injury requires further treatment and monitoring before anything certain is known.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’ll get concerned for his season when the Lurker says BJ Leluia fit to play this weekend.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Terrible luck if he is out for the year. He must have been close to Origin when you look at the right centre options and how poorly Roberts is going.

Turn a negative into a positive and give Cotric a go there like others have been saying. That would be our best option.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:
Roger Kenworthy wrote: May 9, 2019, 10:02 am Is James Hooper still the only source on this? I'll refrain from panic as he is the type of reporter that will treat the absolute worst case scenario as fact.
Thats a fair point. If he gets word there's an issue that potentially requires surgery then thats what he'll report. For all we know it might only be a 10% chance surgery is needed. Obviously the injury requires further treatment and monitoring before anything certain is known.
It’s worrying the club hasn’t said anything regarding Hooper’s comments yet... they’re usually VERY quick to quash any rumours when they start, often even when they’re true!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I guess Raiders are waiting on the 2nd opinion before they announce anything
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The nature of those injuries means it's a frustrating wait for inflammation to come down and improvement is very slow. Giving it a month to settle with drugs and physio before they finally decide on surgery wouldn't be surprising. If he wasn't a first grader trying to get back out on the paddock I'd give him even longer.
The worse the bulge is on scans the more likely he'll be into the surgery faster.
Last edited by zim on May 9, 2019, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

The Rickman wrote: May 9, 2019, 1:08 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
It’s worrying the club hasn’t said anything regarding Hooper’s comments yet... they’re usually VERY quick to quash any rumours when they start, often even when they’re true!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They have
Dont delete this GE
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Ilanraiders wrote:Whitehead or Wighton to Centre? Or Bateman when he’s back!!!
Yea nar pass thanks

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: May 9, 2019, 1:28 pm The nature of those injuries means it's a frustrating wait for inflammation to come down and improvement is very slow. Giving it a month to settle with drugs and physio before they finally decide on surgery wouldn't be surprising. If he wasn't a first grader trying to get back out on the paddock I'd give him even longer.
The worse the bulge is on scans the more likely he'll be into the surgery faster.
Yep.

I've had 3 of those in the lower back (not the neck, so take with a grain of salt) and one had me finding it hard to walk or get in and out of a car for a month but was ok and lifting in the gym again by 3 months.

Other ones were almost as crippling to begin with but actually was alright again in a month.

Can back up the strange timing others have suggested -hmmm might have a little twinge there, better take it easy for a few days and then a few days later *POW* hard to even move, shooting nerve pains etc. Just the way it seems to go so I can see why he might have tried to push through what he thought was just another little footballers ache.

I was in my early and mid 30s (40 now) when they happened so waiting months to see how it settled was a far better option than surgery on my back at that age- since I was in no rush and honestly would have settled for simply being able to move freely and jog again rather take any risks to get back into a sport or anything.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Stick suggesting that the early prognosis is he may be out for 3 months. Could be shorter, could be longer. Waiting to hear back from an appointment today.
"We've got another appointment today with Joey to get another opinion on where he's at and I'm hoping he'll have some news tomorrow with where he's at with his short-term future of footy," Stuart said.

"There's talk it could be three months, it could be longer or good news could be around the corner and it could be less.
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/09/lei ... ck-injury/

In other words, this adds nothing to what we already know...
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Ack
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

This type of injury forced #8 into retirement...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

-PJ- wrote: May 9, 2019, 3:30 pm This type of injury forced #8 into retirement...
Who?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I'm glad the Club is getting another opinion. Some doctors have vastly different opinions on treatment. It must be hard to continue in a contact sport, particularly with BJs alpha male playing style.
I agree with the side selected in that Oldfield will get first crack at right center. Why shuffle 2 spots when the team functioned well with Oldfield at right center last week?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

edwahu wrote: May 9, 2019, 3:39 pm
-PJ- wrote: May 9, 2019, 3:30 pm This type of injury forced #8 into retirement...
Who?
Sorry ed.

Andrew Johns.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

RedRaider wrote: May 9, 2019, 3:40 pm I'm glad the Club is getting another opinion. Some doctors have vastly different opinions on treatment. It must be hard to continue in a contact sport, particularly with BJs alpha male playing style.
I agree with the side selected in that Oldfield will get first crack at right center. Why shuffle 2 spots when the team functioned well with Oldfield at right center last week?
Didn't see Oldfield that much after the initial try. I'm talking about in attack.

In defence both he and Williams stood tall given it appeared a weak link with the 2 together.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

RedRaider wrote: May 9, 2019, 3:40 pm I'm glad the Club is getting another opinion. Some doctors have vastly different opinions on treatment. It must be hard to continue in a contact sport, particularly with BJs alpha male playing style.
Hey RR, I understand your point bolded there but there were a few factors which led me to the opinion to move Cotric to plug the hole. Firstly, we've started well so we can afford to take a risk here and there for the long term benefit. I quite like Oldfield and he is a solid winger but when he's played centre he has been found out a fair bit, last week was a pleasing upside but I think when he is tested more we might see a different result as we did against Cronulla last year. However one of my main thoughts here is that Cotric has started 2019 slowly by his own standards. I don't think he is playing badly but he's not playing to his potential that we've come to expect. I think adding that variation to his development at this stage might be a good way to bring him into the game more and try jump start his season. I can't see Nick being a winger forever and in reality, a competent NRL winger is Oldfield's ceiling so I think it is worth a throw of the dice at this stage, particularly with the knowledge that he played his junior footy in that spot so isn't completely unfamiliar. I think since his junior days that playing outside Croker will have taught him enough to handle it well, plus if you are going to trial him there and see how he goes, having Rapana outside as an experienced and elite winger is a handy stepping stone to assist.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah I'm with Woodgers. I'd be chucking him in the deep end now.

Oldfield is a genuine winger. Cotric is a centre playing on the wing.

It really depends on Leilua's prognosis. If he's expected to be out for months it may be timely to rearrange the combos now. If he's only out for a week or two, then maybe keep Oldfield in the centres.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

@Woodgers- agree.

We might miss Cotric's early ruck outs, but Oldfield is competent, CNK good at it and Rapana is Rapana. Joey still got back there to help out on rucks 2/3 so I expect Cotric will too.
Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Grün Maschine »

Its because he doesnt stand up straight

Bad posture
boydy80
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by boydy80 »

We're really limping around at the moment. If he's gone for the year I'd say Bateman too centre and Tapine too second row when they're fit. In the mean time Oldy has been solid enough in his time here.
Long time creeper....... First time poster
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Joey Leilua out for the year?

Post by LastRaider »

Wighton to centre and bring Sezar in surely! Can’t continue to have a $500k a year player sitting in Reserve grade for to long

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

roneel78 wrote:Didnt be cop a crusher in the manly game or the one before? Must be a result of that

I don't know if it was Manly but I vaguely remember him getting up swinging after an awkward tackle, and giving away a penalty when we were in possession.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

gergreg wrote:
roneel78 wrote:Didnt be cop a crusher in the manly game or the one before? Must be a result of that

I don't know if it was Manly but I vaguely remember him getting up swinging after an awkward tackle, and giving away a penalty when we were in possession.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Yup - exactly what i remember, just cant remember opposition

Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

LastRaider wrote: May 9, 2019, 5:33 pm
Wighton to centre and bring Sezar in surely! Can’t continue to have a $500k a year player sitting in Reserve grade for to long

Not a chance in the world i'd be moving Wighton now.

On the other points I think a strong part of Oldfield's game as winger now he has some size is rucking it out so I think he'll do a job.

Either way I don't have anything against Oldfield and think he is one of the better depth outside backs getting around the NRL, but if we're going to do anything this year I just can't see it being with him at right centre. If my Sportsbet form is anything to go off, Oldy will go on a Colin Best run now i've made that call!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

BadnMean wrote: May 9, 2019, 5:04 pm @Woodgers- agree.

We might miss Cotric's early ruck outs, but Oldfield is competent, CNK good at it and Rapana is Rapana. Joey still got back there to help out on rucks 2/3 so I expect Cotric will too.
Croker is one of our hardest workers off the line. No reason why Cotric cant contribute in this way from centre
boydy80
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by boydy80 »

LastRaider wrote: May 9, 2019, 5:33 pm

Heard on the Matty Johns podcast this morning the Georgy Williams deal is a sure thing...... Sezer may not be sitting in reserve grade that long :lol:

Long time creeper....... First time poster
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

I had bulging and fragmented discs at c5 c6 and c7. No fun at all. Luckily, due to the inadequacies of rural health care, by the time I got to see a specialist 6 months later, I was getting better and didn't need an operation.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Woodgers wrote: May 9, 2019, 4:26 pm
Hey RR, I understand your point bolded there but there were a few factors which led me to the opinion to move Cotric to plug the hole. Firstly, we've started well so we can afford to take a risk here and there for the long term benefit. I quite like Oldfield and he is a solid winger but when he's played centre he has been found out a fair bit, last week was a pleasing upside but I think when he is tested more we might see a different result as we did against Cronulla last year. However one of my main thoughts here is that Cotric has started 2019 slowly by his own standards. I don't think he is playing badly but he's not playing to his potential that we've come to expect. I think adding that variation to his development at this stage might be a good way to bring him into the game more and try jump start his season. I can't see Nick being a winger forever and in reality, a competent NRL winger is Oldfield's ceiling so I think it is worth a throw of the dice at this stage, particularly with the knowledge that he played his junior footy in that spot so isn't completely unfamiliar. I think since his junior days that playing outside Croker will have taught him enough to handle it well, plus if you are going to trial him there and see how he goes, having Rapana outside as an experienced and elite winger is a handy stepping stone to assist.
Hi Woodgers, I think if Ricky wanted Cotric at right center then last week would have been the match to do it. He chose to make a straight swap of Oldfield for BJ and the side won. While NC has played a lot of junior footy at center I don,t know that he has played there in FG. If he, as a rookie FG center, was to play there he would be up against the best player in the NRL in that position. If NC is to be blooded there I think it might be a couple of weeks off. At the risk of sounding like a Rick-head, I think Sticky has this week's backline selections, including the bench, right.