Canberra Raiders sign Wigan Warriors half George Williams on three year deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Re: Canberra Raiders reportedly settle three year deal for George Williams

Post by Wiki Special »

All highlights I have seen he appears mostly to be parked on the left. I'd imagine he will be our right side half next season with Wighton staying left.

To those that have seen plenty of him - does he do much right side attacking?
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Not much, almost all on the left.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

So in an ideal world for 2020 we are able to move Sezer's full contract onto someone else, re-sign Sam Williams on the cheap as a back up, sign Horsburgh, Young and Rapana. Sia picks up the Clive Churchill Medal and retires a champion.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

zim wrote: May 8, 2019, 4:30 pm So in an ideal world for 2020 we are able to move Sezer's full contract onto someone else, re-sign Sam Williams on the cheap as a back up, sign Horsburgh, Young and Rapana. Sia picks up the Clive Churchill Medal and retires a champion.
Yes..especially that last bit.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

zim wrote: May 8, 2019, 4:30 pm So in an ideal world for 2020 we are able to move Sezer's full contract onto someone else, re-sign Sam Williams on the cheap as a back up, sign Horsburgh, Young and Rapana. Sia picks up the Clive Churchill Medal and retires a champion.
I’ll have a cup of that cool-aid.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Any chance of him coming before June 30?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders666 wrote: May 8, 2019, 4:49 pm Any chance of him coming before June 30?
Don't believe so.
Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Grün Maschine »

Sia picks up his second clive Churchill medal and retires a back to back champion
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

zim wrote:So in an ideal world for 2020 we are able to move Sezer's full contract onto someone else, re-sign Sam Williams on the cheap as a back up, sign Horsburgh, Young and Rapana. Sia picks up the Clive Churchill Medal and retires a champion.
Sounds good to me!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders say George Williams deal not done

Post by gerg »

edwahu wrote:It's actually an urban myth that Dobson won the man of Steel. He won the award given by the equivelant of Big League.

If you look at the actual Man of Steel winners it's a strong list. The only Aussies to win it in 42 years are Barba, Richards, Hodgson, Lyon, Vowels and Gavin Miller.

You'd say only Richards and Vowles would never have had a shot at a similar award in the NRL but then again they could've played better football in England. Opportunity is a huge thing for players, look at some of our own like Havilli or Rapana.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_of_Steel_Awards
Who was Vowles?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Sia appears to be contemplating it

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Edrick The Entertainer
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Indeed, time to offload Sezer.

Williams to re-sign on backup money.
WorkChoice
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

gergreg wrote:
edwahu wrote:It's actually an urban myth that Dobson won the man of Steel. He won the award given by the equivelant of Big League.

If you look at the actual Man of Steel winners it's a strong list. The only Aussies to win it in 42 years are Barba, Richards, Hodgson, Lyon, Vowels and Gavin Miller.

You'd say only Richards and Vowles would never have had a shot at a similar award in the NRL but then again they could've played better football in England. Opportunity is a huge thing for players, look at some of our own like Havilli or Rapana.

Who was Vowles?

Adrian, ex gold coast played 190 games in the ESL
Edrick The Entertainer
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

gergreg wrote: May 8, 2019, 5:52 pm

Who was Vowles?

Vowles played Origin for Queensland in the 90's. Also sent off in the Cowboys first ever match in '95.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Another 6......beauty..........

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

bonehead wrote:Sia appears to be contemplating it

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
That's Nathan Cleary

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

I think Sezer will be gone by June 30. Sam Williams body will more than likely give out over the next few years. What do we do with lower grades now? I cant see Hingano being to keen to stick around.... who else is there after that to fill the void?

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Sezers going nowhere unless Williams is on the plane now

It would be suicide to release your backup half and leave yourself with Ata **** Hingano playing for the rest of the season if required

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Hingano is dead set the worst player I've seen in green since Ian Gately

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Ronny P wrote: May 8, 2019, 6:50 pm I think Sezer will be gone by June 30. Sam Williams body will more than likely give out over the next few years. What do we do with lower grades now? I cant see Hingano being to keen to stick around.... who else is there after that to fill the void?

I reckon Sam will be able to keep going for a while given he only has 90 games and has never really had any major injuries.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Maybe they will push Hingano out and put OHagan in to Mounties with The younger 20’s Sabloo or Westcott as long term prospects. Good way to breed your own future halves and have them hardened in reserve grade for a few years. Wouldn’t think it would be to expensive either. Would we take an early extension on Jack also??

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Wiki Special wrote:
gergreg wrote: May 8, 2019, 5:52 pm

Who was Vowles?

Vowles played Origin for Queensland in the 90's. Also sent off in the Cowboys first ever match in '95.
Thank you. I vaguely remember the name now you mention Adrian but honestly can't put a face to him.

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Adrian Vowles also a HG and Roy favourite - "Skardon and Vowles"
Edrick The Entertainer
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Ive seen highlights of him setting up tries and scoring tries on the right. So I dont believe he is restricted to the left only
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: May 8, 2019, 7:11 pm Hingano is dead set the worst player I've seen in green since Ian Gately

Do you EVER say anything positive about anyone??

Fair dinkum, you're one of the most miserable people I've ever encountered in any walk of life.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

also Hingano, an out and out half... was played off the bench where he played

*checks notes*

hooker and wing.

Anyone making statements about him based on that is a certified sad sack, see you in the NT
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

PigRickman wrote: May 9, 2019, 11:22 am also Hingano, an out and out half... was played off the bench where he played

*checks notes*

hooker and wing.

Anyone making statements about him based on that is a certified sad sack, see you in the NT
I've asked previously if Hingano's play at halves in NSW Cup demonstrates he could be a solid NRL player in that role. I've not seen or heard anything to suggest he will.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I dont watch the Mounties games, but the highlights suggest he's pretty active in a team leading the league so yeah he probably sucks.

Christ, this club had GLEN BUTTRISS knock out 119 games for our club. We've had some sucky bunch of ***** in our time, and i just dont think it's fair and reasonable to put a halfback who was played at hooker and wing in the company of dudes like that who got extended time at their choice position and brought unparalleled levels of stink.
Again, maybe Hingano isnt a FG footballer, i dont know, im not a huge fan, never really thought he was more than a decent back up, but i dont think anything he does as a bench hooker or winger is grounds for people lto **** on him the way some do.
Last edited by Botman on May 9, 2019, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Yeah Hingano has gone pretty well from reports.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

The Rickman wrote: May 9, 2019, 8:53 am
dubby wrote: May 8, 2019, 7:11 pm Hingano is dead set the worst player I've seen in green since Ian Gately

Do you EVER say anything positive about anyone??

Fair dinkum, you're one of the most miserable people I've ever encountered in any walk of life.
Id like to second this without being edited
Dont delete this GE
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Hingano could be that mystery player which lights it up come finals.

With the stars aligning you just never know, watch this space.
WorkChoice
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

PigRickman wrote: May 9, 2019, 12:54 pm I dont watch the Mounties games, but the highlights suggest he's pretty active in a team leading the league so yeah he probably sucks.

Christ, this club had GLEN BUTTRISS knock out 119 games for our club. We've had some sucky bunch of **** in our time, and i just dont think it's fair and reasonable to put a halfback who was played at hooker and wing in the company of dudes like that who got extended time at their choice position and brought unparalleled levels of stink.
Again, maybe Hingano isnt a FG footballer, i dont know, im not a huge fan, never really thought he was more than a decent back up, but i dont think anything he does as a bench hooker or winger is grounds for people lto **** on him the way some do.
For some reason, I really enjoyed the phrase “brought unparalleled levels of stink” amidst this rant.

I’m quietly harbouring the hope Hingano will go well if/when he ever gets a shot in the halves in first grade. He certainly can’t be regarded as one of the worst ever.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

LP Raider wrote:Hingano could be that mystery player which lights it up come finals.

With the stars aligning you just never know, watch this space.
It could possibly happen. Not many halves actually take on the line anymore and he seems like he'd at least have a go.

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Truthfully if Williams is coming I'd be looking to move along all three of Sezer, Williams and Hingano and look to sign a bargain basement backup half, and promote a rookie with promise to the top squad.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Timbo wrote: May 10, 2019, 11:55 am Truthfully if Williams is coming I'd be looking to move along all three of Sezer, Williams and Hingano and look to sign a bargain basement backup half, and promote a rookie with promise to the top squad.
Agreed. Let's get rid of all three today and play Elliott Whitehead at halfback for the rest of 2019.