Dave Furner

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Dogman7
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: John bateman

Dave Furner

Post by Dogman7 »

Very bad news today Dave turner has parted company with Leeds rhinos,6 months into a 3 year contract
raidersmalt
Brett Mullins

Re: Dave Furner

Post by raidersmalt »

I feel bad for him, but I think it's fairly obvious that he just doesn't have the skills a head coach needs.

We should bring him back for a role at the Raiders.... Non coaching.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

raidersmalt wrote:I feel bad for him, but I think it's fairly obvious that he just doesn't have the skills a head coach needs.

That’s exactly what been wrong with this club for two decades, Dave Furner or Dave Turner for that matter has no right to a job simply because he’s a playing great, great guy and or his nappies were changed by a certain dinosaur.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I'm Bate Man wrote: May 7, 2019, 10:39 pm
raidersmalt wrote:I feel bad for him, but I think it's fairly obvious that he just doesn't have the skills a head coach needs.

That’s exactly what been wrong with this club for two decades, Dave Furner or Dave Turner for that matter has no right to a job simply because he’s a playing great, great guy and or his nappies were changed by a certain dinosaur.
Agreed. He seemed to do a good job when he was assistant at Souths and NQL. That’s probably where his future lies - but not in Canberra.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

He's definitely not a head coach. Coaching at the top level is hell of a lot more than just coming up with some 'game plan'; there's a large management component to it and it's a skillset I believe he does not have. That was very clear in this time here when players were consistently acting up and disrespecting the club.

As said, he seems to make a good assistant where he's likely able focus on just the coaching part of things. Being a career assistant coach wouldn't be too shabby a job in NRL, nothing wrong with that.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Gee I still can’t believe he was handed the head role here on a silver platter and kept it for five years. Even something as simple as player recruitment was dire under him bar landing Ferguson. I still reckon his decision to bring Brett White here on big money when we already had TLL, Shillington and Tilse put the club back years in terms of good cap management and moving forward as well.

I wonder sometimes what prime Campese would have done with a bit more help from the head coach.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

The main positive I had with Furner's coaching was his desire to give young players a chance, which was really refreshing having lived through the Elliot days.

Furner handed debuts to a lot of players that went on to make it in the NRL (and some who did not).

Other than that, the cap management and ability to handle the egos was crazy bad. The way he lost control of the dressing room was just horrible.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I would agree he isn't a head coach anymore but I don't think he was all bad. It nearly always ends ugly for a first grade coach and even some of the best coaches have had it happen at times, it's just it was nuclear with Furner.

Bagging his recruitment is a bit off the mark for mine, since he had a squad which in terms of talent in 2013 should've being top 4 over the following couple of years if the man management was good.

Also as bad as Brett White was on the park you have to say he was a key signing as far as improving our culture.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Furner has shown some very good traits in his coaching, particularly from a tactical point. Problem is he's never really been comfortable in the all encompassing role of the head coach. As I'd said in the other thread, he's probably a career assistant coach now. His record is pretty good in that area.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

He's a really, really good bloke and was a legendary Raider. I'm sorry his head coaching gig didn't work out and I hope he keeps at it and finds another role if that is still his ambition.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I dont watch ESL and i dont follow the sqauds so cant speak to the talent level, but they were 8-13-2 last year and sacked their coach, presumably you sack a coach with kind of record because you're looking to strip it back and build up. Getting sacked 6 months into a 3 year deal probably speaks to issues that arent remotely related to coaching.

Whatever that may be, probably a personal clash, be it at management or player level (maybe both, who knows) you dont get turfed from a 3 year deal after 6 months because you're game plans arent particularly good, or your bench usage is bad, or the team is playing with ill discipline or whatever it is coaching wise and you're 5-10 instead of 6-9 or 7-8. You'll get 2 years of that before clubs move on with a payout... i would bet good money this is a sacking related to issues away from the footy field.

And those reasons he did get might be totally his fault and within his control. But yeah, i'd be stunned if the Leeds Rhino's got 6 months in and went "this guy is awesome, we love him, great guy, the players love him... but the results are a few games off where we thought, so he's gotta go"
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

From what I've read they brought him in to clean house but wouldn't let him clean house the way he wanted to. Unworkable differences in opinion on how to move forward seems to the line.