All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Magic round

Post by greeneyed »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 8, 2019, 10:16 pm
Bay53 wrote: May 8, 2019, 9:41 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: May 8, 2019, 7:38 pm I personally think it's madness not even having a single game in Sydney this weekend.
I think if it gets momentum from this it will be a success in Sydney. However, I guess most weeks you can go to multiple games in Sydney although most people don’t.

It will be interesting to see how many neutrals are at each game.

A few years ago they played a finals double header - Cronulla v Cowboys and then Roosters v Manly. I thought it was brilliant.
I guess I just don't understand how playing every game in one city over one weekend promotes the code. Does this get more fans through the gate? Does it increase TV ratings?

Why are we promoting the code to fans who can pay $600 for a ticket rather than getting more young kids through the gate as the next generation of supporters? Where is the "Super Round" where every kid under 16 gets in for free?

Is anyone seriously going to watch any more football this weekend just because every single match is in Brisbane?

It's **** weird if you ask me. Just another excuse to give the Broncos 13 home games this season.

I'm mildly ambivalent because it's an away game for us anyway. I'd be furious if we were giving up another home game for this circus.
Fair comment.
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

The Rickman wrote: May 8, 2019, 2:28 pm
simo wrote: May 8, 2019, 1:49 pm Imagine being upset that people within the game are trying something new in an effort to promote the game. Get behind something for once in your sad lives. I hope it works out for them and we see more of this kind of thing from people who run the game.
Haha my thoughts exactly. I swear people just like to bitch and moan about everything.
100%, that's exactly what society has become, or most if it anyway,

i fly out with 5 mates tomorrow and we are super pumped for it, it's a great idea
raider 4 life
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

thedevilingreen wrote: May 8, 2019, 3:17 pm
Northern Raider wrote:I like the concept. Hate the ticketing and prices (as mentioned in preview thread). $90 for the 'cheap seats' behind the goal posts. Daughter wants to go and her ticket is another $70. Total of $160 to take your kid to the footy is just insane. Thats not counting the cost of food/drinks at the game which will easily take it up to a $200 trip.

I understand the concept and appreciate its trying something different. I just wish it wasn't priced at a premium and was more in line with your normal club game ticket prices.
Yeah I'm holding off till Friday to get my tickets in the hope that the NRL panic and drop prices but I'm not liking my chances of that happening. It's a shame it's a great concept but they have gone for a cash grab instead of trying to get the fans there to support it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
this i agree on, i brought the whole weekend pack and still had to pay extra for the thursday game and i could'nt really see any savings for buying the whole weekend pack, am shocked to hear about what some are paying for 1 day passes.

west bank has dear prices, if the nrl really wants full stadiums they need to listen and make it affordable, you should be able to get your family in for $100 or less, i think the west bank family pass is more closer to $200 which is sad and i know plenty that were keen to go to it, some not even parra supporters and now they are not due to the price to go
raider 4 life
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Don’t be a fool like me and confuse this weekends games with the old television show Magic Roundabout.

Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Magic round

Post by Postman Pat »

How on earth did the Broncos not turn up for the media day today for ‘Magic Round’? Not only do they get an away game at Suncorp, they pull this rubbish.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There's really no excuse.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

I think their excuse is pretty legit actually. I hate the donkeys as much as the next GH member, but when you’re sponsored by and getting a **** load of money from a company, I think it’s fair enough to dodge an event promoting one of their rivals if your sponsor asks you to.
At first I was surprised since it’s in Brisbane but upon hearing the reason I see their point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Happy to take their money for playing I presume.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins

Post by Danaman137 »

Seiffert82 wrote:Happy to take their money for playing I presume.
I’m pretty sure it was just today’s event that was sponsored by Youi, not magic round itself.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

But it is an NRL endorsed event. The Raiders seem to be referring to the NSW Cup as Canterbury Cup these days despite the fact they are sponsored by ISC. If NRMA Insurance has "stopped" the Broncos from appearing, it is pretty silly behaviour from NRMA Insurance. They just should have photo bombed Youi with their sponsor logos.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins

Post by Danaman137 »

greeneyed wrote:But it is an NRL endorsed event. The Raiders seem to be referring to the NSW Cup as Canterbury Cup these days despite the fact they are sponsored by ISC. If NRMA Insurance has "stopped" the Broncos from appearing, it is pretty silly behaviour from NRMA Insurance. They just should have photo bombed Youi with their sponsor logos.
Fair point, broncos aren’t smart enough to think like that though.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Q. The Cowboys/Rabbitohs play straight after us on Sunday, where do both clubs warm up ?

Same as Friday night..2 games back to back.

And Saturday..3 games back to back to back.

Is there facilities at Sunburnt Stadium for all these clubs to warm up prior to playing ?

The warm ups take 20-30 minutes usually..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Danaman137 wrote: May 9, 2019, 12:07 am I think their excuse is pretty legit actually. I hate the donkeys as much as the next GH member, but when you’re sponsored by and getting a **** load of money from a company, I think it’s fair enough to dodge an event promoting one of their rivals if your sponsor asks you to.
At first I was surprised since it’s in Brisbane but upon hearing the reason I see their point.

Suncorp is a very large insurance company.

The refs are also sponsored by Youi, are the Broncos players supposed to not stand near the refs?

Sorry, I think it stinks and if any other team tried it they wouldn't get away with it.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-PJ- wrote:Q. The Cowboys/Rabbitohs play straight after us on Sunday, where do both clubs warm up ?

Is there facilities at Sunburnt Stadium for all these clubs to warm up prior to playing ?

You can warm up inside at Lang Park.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote: May 9, 2019, 7:35 am Q. The Cowboys/Rabbitohs play straight after us on Sunday, where do both clubs warm up ?

There's been double headers at venues before, m8. This ain't a new concept haha.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I like the concept, its going to have a different atmosphere for those attending. Its something different worth trying IMO. However, I do like the english concept where its the extra round.

I agree with S82 though, it wont change my footy viewing for the wkend, and I might be less inclined if we had lost another home game for it.

As for Bronx not showing up, that's really poor. Sponsors or not. Its an NRL event, you are paid by them 1st. Show up.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

That's why Broncos didn't show up a couple of weeks ago against Raiders, it was hosted at GIO stadium
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

edwahu wrote: May 8, 2019, 1:56 pm Worth a try. I hope they try it in Sydney though and play it over 2 or max 3 days.
Yeah it's a fail in execution to me. For those of us outside of Brisbane it is just like any other round with match times. A 4-match Saturday would have been the point of difference/novelty for home viewers.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:
edwahu wrote: May 8, 2019, 1:56 pm Worth a try. I hope they try it in Sydney though and play it over 2 or max 3 days.
Yeah it's a fail in execution to me. For those of us outside of Brisbane it is just like any other round with match times. A 4-match Saturday would have been the point of difference/novelty for home viewers.
Yeah, I agree with this actually. Four games on Saturday, with two each Friday and Sunday is the way to go

Gives Saturday a real different feel for us blokes watching it down the pub too

Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

The Rickman wrote: May 9, 2019, 10:27 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote:
Yeah, I agree with this actually. Four games on Saturday, with two each Friday and Sunday is the way to go

+1,

Would help people visiting from out of town to condense it into 3 days. Take away the Thursday night game and add it to Saturday

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

It seems over three days was the original plan, but Channel 9 blocked it.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/11 ... agic-round
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Sid wrote: May 9, 2019, 10:33 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote:

+1,

Would help people visiting from out of town to condense it into 3 days. Take away the Thursday night game and add it to Saturday
4 games on the Saturday? They'd have to start around midday. Better to add a Sunday evening game. Its already a timeslot used by the NRL.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Roger Kenworthy wrote: May 9, 2019, 11:09 am It seems over three days was the original plan, but Channel 9 blocked it.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/11 ... agic-round
Saw this bit in the article. Explains why ticket prices are so high.

it's understood each club will receive A$270,000 while the NRL takes earnings from the gate.

Given some clubs are lucky to make a A$60,000 profit from of a home game, particularly when they are playing an out-of-town team, this round appeals to their bottom line.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Northern Raider wrote: May 9, 2019, 11:20 am
Sid wrote: May 9, 2019, 10:33 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote:

+1,

4 games on the Saturday? They'd have to start around midday. Better to add a Sunday evening game. Its already a timeslot used by the NRL.
that would work better than the current format too

Turt
Brett Mullins

Post by Turt »

I think having the Magic Round on Mothers day is a mistake. It's makes it very difficult for families to attend. I like the idea of it being and extra round so everyone still gets 12 home games. Still don't understand how this is a Broncos away game either.

Queen's Birthday might have been a better weekend if they want interstate visitors.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Sid wrote: May 9, 2019, 9:52 am That's why Broncos didn't show up a couple of weeks ago against Raiders, it was hosted at GIO stadium
:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The Rickman wrote: May 9, 2019, 8:55 am
-PJ- wrote: May 9, 2019, 7:35 am Q. The Cowboys/Rabbitohs play straight after us on Sunday, where do both clubs warm up ?

There's been double headers at venues before, m8. This ain't a new concept haha.
Yeah maybe..but with an hour between games...m8.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: May 9, 2019, 7:56 am
-PJ- wrote:Q. The Cowboys/Rabbitohs play straight after us on Sunday, where do both clubs warm up ?

I haven't been there so thanks for that..
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-PJ- wrote: May 9, 2019, 3:39 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 9, 2019, 7:56 am

I haven't been there so thanks for that..
Pre-game at Origins shows both teams warming up under the stands. They have multiple change rooms so can accommodate at least 4 teams at a time. On the Saturday triple header the teams from game 1 will likely need to vacate before the teams from game 3 turn up. Will need to tidy up the room quicker than Cooper Cronk did the other day.
Dogman7
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: John bateman

Post by Dogman7 »

Magic weekend was started in 2007 in UK, the mellinium stadium in Cardiff were the hosts, the attendance was just short of 59,000, three games played each day, what a lot of fans do is go to the pubs and then go-to support there team then go back to the bars,the ticket price is very reasonable
Dogman7
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Dogman7 »

It will be a great weekend,I would book a extra day of work to recover. This just would not happen in soccer in UK, it would be world war. 3
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Dogman7 wrote: May 9, 2019, 5:44 pm It will be a great weekend,I would book a extra day of work to recover. This just would not happen in soccer in UK, it would be world war. 3
Yes they deliberately separate them in the city. Man City and Man Utd were not allowed to play at home in the same week in the champions league, so there wouldn’t be 4 sets of supporters.

Of course, you only need to watch one UK soccer team and they are in the Champions League final!!!! Come on you Spurs!!!!
Dogman7
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Dogman7 »

It was funny this morning on news channel a spurs male fan said , Lucas moura I want to lick your face and have your babies
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Not off to a great start! No atmosphere on the TV, too many empty seats. A stand alone game with two away teams clearly isn’t working!

If you have to have a game on it’s own it needs to be a donkeys game.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It looks pretty shabby. The events in the lead up have been pretty low key as well. For the Auckland Nines, the captains and teams of every club appeared in the main city square at a lunch time launch event. There was a whole day of activities, and the teams made appearances and did signing sessions, photo sessions etc etc. Every club had a public appearance at a local junior club, with that event open to the public. There was a gala launch on one evening, for the VIPs and that was broadcast. The clubs ran open training sessions.

As far as I can see, all that's been done for Magic Round is the kick for a million, where the teams were represented by former players (the Raiders sent Terry Campese). The teams clearly are not ever going to be in the one place at the one time... which is why Bolton couldn't address the 16 captains as part of his punishment for his off field indiscretions. None of the things that made the Nines a "festival" appear to be happening.

It is sort of typical NRL. No idea how to run such an event. No idea how to price such an event.