Roosters 13+
27%

Total votes: 15

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Teams and Previews

Post by greeneyed »

'Absolute beast' Josh Papalii inspires Canberra Raiders' NRL rise

Too heavy. Not fit. Sound familiar? The critics have never strayed too far away from Canberra Raiders forward Josh Papalii.

"He has had his critics in the past regarding his performance and his weight," Soliola said. "But for him to just come back off the back of winning the Meninga Medal, and really just making a stand in regards to our off-season, he is really showing leadership qualities around our group.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I love Josh Papalii, always have and always will. He’s absolutely making the frontrow position his own, is improving his output every week, and I can’t wait to see him own it at Origin level once again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The Rickman wrote: May 6, 2019, 5:57 pm I love Josh Papalii, always have and always will. He’s absolutely making the frontrow position his own, is improving his output every week, and I can’t wait to see him own it at Origin level once again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Totally agree..

He's a sensational rugby league forward..damn glad he plays for us !!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

thedevilingreen wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Lots of tickets left, I just checked.
Yeah well you aren't going to get much action on tickets when they want $150 for a grandstand ticket or $90 to sit in the supporter section.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I toyed with going, but $600 for two games of footy for the family isn't super attractive.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

edwahu wrote: May 5, 2019, 9:08 am Honestly it depends if Roosters want to lift into top gear. They are unbeatable when they do.

Sad state of affairs really.
Unbeatable?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Seiffert82 wrote:
edwahu wrote: May 5, 2019, 9:08 am Honestly it depends if Roosters want to lift into top gear. They are unbeatable when they do.

Unbeatable?
Not miles off it

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Seiffert82 wrote:

Unbeatable?
I have to agree with Ed, no team gets close to the Roosters if they play at their best.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I've spoken to Trent, he's agreed to throw one..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I read an article about L Mitchell today in the Tele praising his weekend effort. A bit of an analysis of his efforts show he is a dynamic player, but off a low workload. I wonder if teams made an effort to involve him in a heavy workload in defence would it reduce his attacking prowess. I must admit to not watching him all that much, as the unrequited love affair of the Nine commentary team for him annoys me more than a little.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Cranky Old Man wrote: May 6, 2019, 8:14 pm I read an article about L Mitchell today in the Tele praising his weekend effort. A bit of an analysis of his efforts show he is a dynamic player, but off a low workload. I wonder if teams made an effort to involve him in a heavy workload in defence would it reduce his attacking prowess. I must admit to not watching him all that much, as the unrequited love affair of the Nine commentary team for him annoys me more than a little.
I said it before, you take him out of the game by keeping him in it. He doesnt have a good motor, he will cut corners if put under any fatigue.
If bj and raps play we should be running down that right corridor all game
Dont delete this GE
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

yep gave him a 10 out of 10 and only had 13 involvements, seems crazy, yeah he was dynamic but also not involved nowhere near enough
raider 4 life
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

gotta give Latrell the Fergo treatment, seriously if Raiders play as they did against Eels, then its gonna be a cracker, Really gonna be a Hard game, hope they turn up or this season is all luck, I would be cut if we get 30+ put on us.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

RTW wrote: May 6, 2019, 7:13 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:

Unbeatable?
I have to agree with Ed, no team gets close to the Roosters if they play at their best.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Tedesco and Mitchell are top shelf talent in rare form, but I honestly don't see how they are considered unbeatable.

We haven't come anywhere near our best football this season and are right up there. It sucks that we have Rapa, Bateman, Tapine and possibly Leilua out with injury this week. I'd love our team to play theirs at full strength.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

You are rating us on potential. We haven't shown anything to suggest we would beat them at their best.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

edwahu wrote: May 6, 2019, 10:29 pm You are rating us on potential. We haven't shown anything to suggest we would beat them at their best.
8 games in and we have the best defence in the comp. Last three seasons we've had a top 3 attack.

I've seen plenty enough from this team to suggest that at our best we're right up there.

I hope the boys have more belief in their ability than their fans do.

The Roosters aren't invincible. I've seen plenty of bog average football from them over the season to suggest if you have a good kick and chase against Tedesco and hold your line, and if you get in Mitchell's face and make him work hard in defence, they can look pretty ordinary. Just sucks we have Rapa and Bateman out, and possibly Leilua.

This will be a hard game for sure, but if we are disciplined in defence and work hard to get numbers into tackles, we'll go OK.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

We are currently No.4 in attack and No.1 in defence and are running 3rd in the comp. We play the two sides above us in the next 2 rounds. Any questions people have about our ladder position will be answered in the next 2 games. All matches are tough in the NRL but there is no doubt that the Chooks and Rabbitohs are in great form and will be an above average test for our defensive and general play discipline. We cannot gift them any additional possession by silly errors and brain explosions. Have confidence in the game plan and stick with it.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

edwahu wrote: May 6, 2019, 10:29 pm You are rating us on potential. We haven't shown anything to suggest we would beat them at their best.
Most teams have an obvious avenue we can exploit eg rabbits have Walker's bad defense but the roosters are just solid to top shelf across the park in both attack and defense. We've just got to really come out with the right attitude. Make something happen. Maybe some of their players lack of patience gets the better of them if we can just keep coming at them. It's hard to do when they've got that crazy forward pack that just never stops and Tedesco sniffing around for the offload.
As simo says it's probably mitchell we need to try and target in attack.

If we were fully fit it'd be a great game and I'd give us a good chance but we've got a few holes in us at the moment.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

1. Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield (Rapana)
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Lui
11. Young
12. Whitehead (right)
13. Sutton

14. Havili
15. Murchie
16. Soliola
17. Horsburgh

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

T_R wrote:
thedevilingreen wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Lots of tickets left, I just checked.
Yeah well you aren't going to get much action on tickets when they want $150 for a grandstand ticket or $90 to sit in the supporter section.

I toyed with going, but $600 for two games of footy for the family isn't super attractive.
Also why I am holding off till later in the week to see if they drop prices

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It’s $425 for a family ticket on the try line (two adults, two children), they have top tier corner for $135.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

zim wrote: May 7, 2019, 12:01 am
Most teams have an obvious avenue we can exploit eg rabbits have Walker's bad defense but the roosters are just solid to top shelf across the park in both attack and defense. We've just got to really come out with the right attitude. Make something happen. Maybe some of their players lack of patience gets the better of them if we can just keep coming at them. It's hard to do when they've got that crazy forward pack that just never stops and Tedesco sniffing around for the offload.

If we were fully fit it'd be a great game and I'd give us a good chance but we've got a few holes in us at the moment.
I agree that with a few holes in our squad this isnt the best time to be facing the next 2 weeks.

This has the potential to be our Sharks/Storm moment for us from 2016 - the moment the team, fans and public realise we are actually the real deal this year.

I agree that the Roosters dont have an obvious avenue to points - but that makes us the perfect foil for them. They are insanely well drilled, capable of reading and dealing with just about any set play thrown at them through great structure. The catch is though - we dont have set plays. Our ad-lib attacking style may jsut be the best way to break down the best structured defensive side out there in recent years. If we balance that with our own significant steps in defensive capabilities, we may just be on to something here.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 6, 2019, 11:38 pm
8 games in and we have the best defence in the comp. Last three seasons we've had a top 3 attack.

I've seen plenty enough from this team to suggest that at our best we're right up there.

I hope the boys have more belief in their ability than their fans do.

The Roosters aren't invincible. I've seen plenty of bog average football from them over the season to suggest if you have a good kick and chase against Tedesco and hold your line, and if you get in Mitchell's face and make him work hard in defence, they can look pretty ordinary. Just sucks we have Rapa and Bateman out, and possibly Leilua.

This will be a hard game for sure, but if we are disciplined in defence and work hard to get numbers into tackles, we'll go OK.
I'm 100% behind Seiff on this one, god you people can be a bunch of sad sacks at times.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

RedRaider wrote: May 6, 2019, 11:51 pm We are currently No.4 in attack and No.1 in defence and are running 3rd in the comp. We play the two sides above us in the next 2 rounds. Any questions people have about our ladder position will be answered in the next 2 games. All matches are tough in the NRL but there is no doubt that the Chooks and Rabbitohs are in great form and will be an above average test for our defensive and general play discipline. We cannot gift them any additional possession by silly errors and brain explosions. Have confidence in the game plan and stick with it.
Agreed. I think with the players we're currently missing if we win 1 of the 2 it's a good result, but I don't see why we can't win both if we show up with the same defensive attitude and determination we've shown for most of 2019 to date.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Coastalraider wrote: May 7, 2019, 9:46 am
zim wrote: May 7, 2019, 12:01 am

I agree that with a few holes in our squad this isnt the best time to be facing the next 2 weeks.

This has the potential to be our Sharks/Storm moment for us from 2016 - the moment the team, fans and public realise we are actually the real deal this year.

I agree that the Roosters dont have an obvious avenue to points - but that makes us the perfect foil for them. They are insanely well drilled, capable of reading and dealing with just about any set play thrown at them through great structure. The catch is though - we dont have set plays. Our ad-lib attacking style may jsut be the best way to break down the best structured defensive side out there in recent years. If we balance that with our own significant steps in defensive capabilities, we may just be on to something here.
Good point.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Young Canberra Raiders set to step into the breach

Raiders prop Josh Papalii has backed the club's youth rotational policy to bear fruit this weekend, as Canberra prepares to name a replacement for another serious injury to a star back-rower.

"We've got some good youngsters coming through and that are playing good footy for the Mounties like we saw with Hudson [Young] on the weekend who went into that position and did a really good job. Ricky is unpredictable, he'll just pick whoever he thinks will be the best person for the job and who can help the team."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/07/you ... he-breach/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL team: Raiders V Roosters

Canberra Raiders V Sydney Roosters
Sunday 4 May 2:00pm
Lang Park
Precint opens: 11:30am
Gates open: 12:30pm
South Sydney Rabbitohs V North Queensland Cowboys 4:05pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3

The Canberra Raiders face the Sydney Roosters at Suncorp Stadium this Sunday afternoon as part of the NRL’s magic round.

Jordan Rapana is back in the team after he was cleared to return from a rib injury, which sees Bailey Simonsson shift to the interchange bench.

Michael Oldfield will remain in the centres for the Raiders, with Joey Leilua ruled out indefinitely with a neck injury. He will be assessed weekly to see when he may be able to return.
John Bateman has been officially ruled out for 6-8 weeks after suffering an eye-socket injury, with the English International undergoing surgery. This sees Hudson Young with his first opportunity to start for the Raiders, after an impressive 55 minutes against the Panthers in round eight covering for the injured Bateman.

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Michael Oldfield
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Sam Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Siliva Havili
15. Bailey Simonsson
16. Sia Soliola
17. Corey Horsburgh

18. Aidan Sezer
19. Emre Guler
20. Royce Hunt
21. Jack Murchie

Injury/Suspension

Joey Leilua (Neck) Indefinite
John Bateman (Eye-Socket) Round 15-17
Joe Tapine (Ankle) Round 15-17
Luke Bateman (Knee) Round 10-12

Canberra Raiders media

Sydney Roosters

1. James Tedesco
2. Daniel Tupou
3. Latrell Mitchell
4. Joseph Manu
5. Matt Ikuvalu
6. Luke Keary
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
9. Victor Radley
10. Siosiua Taukeiaho
11. Boyd Cordner (c)
12. Angus Crichton
13. Isaac Liu

14. Nat Butcher
15. Zane Tetevano
16. Sitili Tupouniua
17. Mitchell Aubusson

18. Lindsay Collins
19. Josh Curran
20. Lachlan Lam
21. Sam Verrills

Officials:

TBA

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLRoostersRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2019 #FromAllAngles

Jersey Flegg team: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Sticky wrote:15. Bailey Simonsson
Wut.

Good to see Ikuvalu is back in for the Roosters. That gives us a target.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Mitchell vs. Oldfield - could get ugly.

I think he will move Whitehead over to Centre come game time.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Leilua's neck must be pretty bad. Thought for sure he'd at least be on the extended bench.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Jeez, I didn't expect to see Joey out still.

Ah well, I'm confident Oldfield will do the job.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Simonsson being on the bench is weird too. You'd have to assume that won't be the starting 17.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

TongueFTW wrote: May 7, 2019, 4:05 pm Mitchell vs. Oldfield - could get ugly.

I think he will move Whitehead over to Centre come game time.
I hope not, leave him where he has has been doing so well of late - Oldfield can do the job.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

The Rickman wrote: May 7, 2019, 4:10 pm Simonsson being on the bench is weird too. You'd have to assume that won't be the starting 17.
Yeah I mean how would you use him in that side? Cotric to replace Oldfield and Simonsson onto the left wing? Seems like too much shuffling.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Raider47 »

Ugh what did Leilua do to his neck in between the Captain's Run and 3pm on Saturday? Pretty disappointing that he is missing. We have a fair bit of quality out with Bateman, Tapine and Joey absent.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Re: 2019 Rd 9 V Roosters: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by 1992 »

Given that Sticky's use of the bench has been all but perfect I will suport his strange choice.

While we would all prefer to have Joey and Bateman in there I think the guys covering will give everything. They are playing in the best defensive side who are 3rd. The confidence in the team is high but, not because we are scoring heaps of point but rather getting into the grind and playing tough.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN