Game of Thrones Season 8 *Spoilers*

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 *Spoilers*

Post by Dr Zaius »

Given the number of minutes left in the season, I suspect that there are a few twists to come.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Looks like Gilly has taken on Sam's diet as well as his child

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:Looks like Gilly has taken on Sam's diet as well as his child

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Wot

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: April 30, 2019, 11:22 am And I just don't see how Cersei remotely puts up a fight against two dragons for more than about ten minutes.
When Qyburn rolls out 100 of those **** giant crossbows, you'll see what's up... also it's 20k of a the golden company vs what's left of the living

Good thing the golden company have no connections to House Targ and have never broken a contract.
The golden company dont break contracts like the crypt is the safest place... hear me now, believe me later
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

I imagine they’ll dedicate a fair amount of air time to the Aegon vs Dany tension as well

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: April 30, 2019, 10:31 pm
The Rickman wrote: April 30, 2019, 11:22 am And I just don't see how Cersei remotely puts up a fight against two dragons for more than about ten minutes.
When Qyburn rolls out 100 of those **** giant crossbows, you'll see what's up... also it's 20k of a the golden company vs what's left of the living

Good thing the golden company have no connections to House Targ and have never broken a contract.
The golden company dont break contracts like the crypt is the safest place... hear me now, believe me later
You know that the Golden Company were founded by House Blackfyre and HATES the Targaryens, right??
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: May 2, 2019, 12:51 pm

You know that the Golden Company were founded by House Blackfyre and HATES the Targaryens, right??
Yep, but they are a branch of House Targ, but that's mostly irrelevant because no one left had anything to with with the Blackfyre rebellion. Also the Golden Company's main motivation is to return to Westeros and take back their lands and Castles.
Given the foreshadowing of how the Golden Company have never broken a contract, i think they'll turn on Cersei when Tyrion buys them back with lands, titles and castles
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

PigRickman wrote: May 2, 2019, 1:41 pm

Yep, but they are a branch of House Targ, but that's mostly irrelevant because no one left had anything to with with the Blackfyre rebellion. Also the Golden Company's main motivation is to return to Westeros and take back their lands and Castles.
Given the foreshadowing of how the Golden Company have never broken a contract, i think they'll turn on Cersei when Tyrion buys them back with lands, titles and castles
Look, you're probably right considering I don't think the Blackfyres have even been mentioned in the show, have they?

In the books, "Aegon Targaryen" is almost certainly going to turn out to be a Blackfyre, and that's where the Golden Company comes into play, but who's to say what's going to happen in the show with all of the aborted, poorly written storylines we now have to deal with??
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: May 2, 2019, 2:09 pm
PigRickman wrote: May 2, 2019, 1:41 pm

Look, you're probably right considering I don't think the Blackfyres have even been mentioned in the show, have they?

In the books, "Aegon Targaryen" is almost certainly going to turn out to be a Blackfyre, and that's where the Golden Company comes into play, but who's to say what's going to happen in the show with all of the aborted, poorly written storylines we now have to deal with??
Yeah i think the show is going to largely ignore the Blackfyre connection and any book story line that links with the Targaryen's
To me in the show, the golden company are just a merc army who we've been told many times have never broken a contract... i'll bet Tyrion finds some creative way to coerce them into doing just that.

I think the books and shows are actually going to come to the same end point, as in who is on the throne or what comes of the throne etc... but i think the journey in the books to get there will barely recognizable to the show.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I’m expecting a Golden Company turn now as well. Either
1. Varys has one last play before he gets killed off (We still need to find out what he sees in the flames
2. Iron Bank realised that Cersei has paid off the debt, so there’s no need to support her, so they’ll back the one with the Dragons as the likely winner
3. Tyrion has something up his sleeve, maybe offer them land or something

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

4. They all get incinerated by dragon fire
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I'll be pretty disappointed if they just march out to battle undermanned and the dragons just **** cook the golden company, and the rag tag bunch of northerners take the city from there... i mean i get that in all honesty, that's how itvshould play out... a couple of dragons swooping down from right above, wiping out the giant cross bows and then laying waste to the GC because they have two **** dragons and the GC dont. But that'll still feel anti-climatic haha

Im fascinated to see how the dragon horn plays out in the books
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

A slow burn, tension building episode.

Some sad farewells, some celebrating and getting it on, some internal tension, two shocking deaths and a knife twisted in.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

That episode was awesome. Right back to the mind games and tension we had in early seasons. Set the scene brilliantly for the showdown next week. Daenarys' army is significantly depleted as we already know. I'd love to see the Dornish army make a welcome appearance to balance things up a bit.

SPOILER ALERT:
A couple of key deaths. Missandei was well played. Very well utilised for the shock factor and sending a message to Dany. She meant a lot Dany and Wormsy. I don't think audiences will miss her character as she was pretty useless and uninteresting.

I'm so glad I wasn't on Gogglebox when Rhaegal got shot down. I'm there going "No! No!" with an expression that must have looked like I'd just seen my dog run over. We weren't sure if he'd survived the battle with the Night King so was pleasantly relieved when we saw him up and flying again. It then got all suddenly ripped away from us with no warning. Curse you GoT writers!!! :(

PREDICTIONS:
I'm totally convinced Jaime is heading the Kings Landing to kill Cersei. His farewell speech to Brienne implied as much. He'll be the only one that can get close to her and he's already got form in killing monarchs who are about to be usurped.

Still backing my earlier prediction that Jon and Dany are going to disappear together and leave Tyrion in charge. It appears the only way they can remain together and that may end up taking precedence over Dany's power trip. The tipping point will be something that makes Dany realise she's on track to be the 'Mad Queen'.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I'm wondering what Varys is planning

Was shocked when Rhaegal got shot down
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dr Zaius wrote: May 6, 2019, 1:18 pm I'm wondering what Varys is planning

Was shocked when Rhaegal got shot down
Varys clearly suggested 'removing' Danaerys before she hits Mad Queen mode. What or if something happens is anybody's guess.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Should add that Varys had the best line of the episode.

Varys: "How many people know?"
Tyrion: "Eight"
Varys: "Then it is no longer a secret. It is now information."
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I have to say I really enjoyed that episode. I was expecting a slow burner, but instead it had plenty of action. More shocking deaths than last episode, to be perfectly honest

When the iron fleet ambushed Dany’s and shot down Rhaegal was genuinely shocking

I still don’t know why Cersei’s archers didn’t shoot Tyrion after they chopped off Missandei’s head though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The mad queen cometh!

That was a good episode, liking the call out that the only people who ride Dragons are madmen and kings.

I still think Varys has something up his sleeves. Might have to do with getting his little birds back.

If Dany doesn’t realise she’s becoming mad queen and pump the brakes, she’s going to get killed off.

I was really hoping Missandei grabbed Cersei and jumped off the wall though
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Man i really enjoyed this ep, it's the sort of ep that makes you remember that at it's core this show is really about palace intrigue, dialogue, complex characters grappling with complex things and a bit of gore... im really glad we've got this and two more eps to focus on that stuff now the existential crisis has been dealt with

My only quibble was i thought it would have been nice for ghost and jon to have a moment together, it doesnt fit his character arc imo to just be like "hey tormond, take the wolf, he'll like it better there" and not have an embrace, but it's such a minor complaint...

Great ep
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: May 6, 2019, 1:58 pm Should add that Varys had the best line of the episode.

Varys: "How many people know?"
Tyrion: "Eight"
Varys: "Then it is no longer a secret. It is now information."
Very poignant.
I too think Varys has something cooking, and i think Tyrion and Bronn will be part of it. My prediction is they all combine to get a meeting with the Golden Company, and they strike a deal to turn them

I think the Missy and Rhaegal death were really good. Agree with you all, didnt see the Rhaegal death coming at all, so that was a "woah, no!" moment

Agree with NR, Jamie is going to fulfill the valonqar prophecy. He's not going to stand by her side, he's going to end it.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

So for those who saw next weeks trailer, what do you think Euron is looking up at?
Biggest ideas I’ve seen so far are either Drogon in Scorpion proof armour, or Bran warging into Rhaegal.

I’m leaning towards Gendry building some armour for Drogon, but Bran has to do something before the show ends... doesn’t he?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

PigRickman wrote:My only quibble was i thought it would have been nice for ghost and jon to have a moment together, it doesnt fit his character arc imo to just be like "hey tormond, take the wolf, he'll like it better there" and not have an embrace, but it's such a minor complaint...
Yeah my thought also. Considering there’s this massive bond between Starks and Direwolves, Ghost deserved more of a moment

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I dont think Rhaegal is alive, he died and Ghost was written out to focus the CGI on Drogon to make this final battle ep as incredibly spectacular as they can.

I like the idea of Gendry building some dragon armour though, that'd be cool as **** and fits perfectly... like a **** iron glad dragon, made of left over dragonglass from the the fallen... boy that'd change the **** game in a real hurry

Im going to be so angry if that's what happens because now you've spoiled it for me because ill be like "**** it is that!"

I think Bran's arc is just about over now, he's just recording the history that Sam will write, he's the three eyed raven and he'll go and do that, not sure he'll have a role to play now other than maybe Tyrion asking him a question that leads to an answer that turns the battle
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

My theory of Gendry and Arya sitting the throne at the end just took a massive upturn now that Gendry has been legitamised too, just quietly

Should something happen to Dany and Jon, then he is legit the next in line to the throne, with both Targ and Baratheon blood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

PigRickman wrote:I dont think Rhaegal is alive, he died and Ghost was written out to focus the CGI on Drogon to make this final battle ep as incredibly spectacular as they can.

I like the idea of Gendry building some dragon armour though, that'd be cool as **** and fits perfectly... like a **** iron glad dragon, made of left over dragonglass from the the fallen... boy that'd change the **** game in a real hurry

Im going to be so angry if that's what happens because now you've spoiled it for me because ill be like "**** it is that!"

I think Bran's arc is just about over now, he's just recording the history that Sam will write, he's the three eyed raven and he'll go and do that, not sure he'll have a role to play now other than maybe Tyrion asking him a question that leads to an answer that turns the battle
Yeah, the Rhaegal theory is based on the Bran = NK idea, and that he can warg and reanimate the dead. I’m not a fan, and I’m hoping for armoured Drogon, that would be epic. Knowing Bran though, it’s probably going to be him warging into all the Ravens in Westeros and swooping on them.

Also, I’m hoping Euron starts wondering how Tyrion knows about the baby, when they did the deed after Tyrion finds out. I think there’ll be a Baby Daddybowl now between Jamie and Euron

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: May 6, 2019, 8:54 pm My theory of Gendry and Arya sitting the throne at the end just took a massive upturn now that Gendry has been legitamised too, just quietly

Should something happen to Dany and Jon, then he is legit the next in line to the throne, with both Targ and Baratheon blood

Im telling you now, my dude. You dont break the wheel by putting another monarch with their blood lines on a bloody throne!
This is ending in democracy, or at leas the initial stages of it. Tyrion will be the first elected ruler. That's my story and im sticking too it.

Arya is going to die. She's already basically told us that and i think that'll get paid off in a pretty gutting but satisfying way.
I think what we all kind of wanted for last week is coming this week, we're losing people, lots of em, and many important figures.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Did anyone see the coffee cup in Westeros?

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Oh it was seen, ahaha

That's how you settle the CGI bill
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

In true Starbucks form, they spelt her name wrong.
If you zoom in it reads “Kelly C”

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Hahaha, that's VERY on brand.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: May 6, 2019, 8:54 pm My theory of Gendry and Arya sitting the throne at the end just took a massive upturn now that Gendry has been legitamised too, just quietly

Gendry has Targaryen blood? :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Northern Raider wrote: May 7, 2019, 10:51 am

I think in the books it's a great grandma twice removed or something.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: May 7, 2019, 10:51 am

Yeah, Robert Baratheon's grandfather or someone married a Targaryen. It's why the Baratheons have a claim to the throne in the first place!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

I’m going to need a new prediction, since Sam has been written off. I’m gonna say Sansa is Littlefingering the hell out of this season, and playing the game as if everything is happening.
* She told Cersei about Dany heading to Dragonstone, allowing Euron to prep the attack
* She’s sending Arya to kill Cersei
* She knew Tyrion would tell Varys Jon’s secret, and begin conspiring to oust Dany.
So best case for Sansa would be Cersei and Dany dead, Jon on the throne, and she’s the wardeness of the north.

I think Cersei will be killed by either Jamie, or Arya in Jamie’s face. I don’t know if the show will allow her to kill the 2 biggest bads on the show though..

Meanwhile, what would Ned be thinking? He carried Jon’s secret for years, and in the space of a few days, the whole world knows

Nickman's love of NSW