Is Jack Wighton finally ready for NSW Blues call up?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Is Jack Wighton finally ready for NSW Blues call up?

Post by greeneyed »

Is NSW Blues star who never was, Jack Wighton, finally ready for Origin call-up?

Could it finally be time for Raiders star Jack Wighton to become an Origin player? If not in the halves, then perhaps as a centre or bench utility? NSW coach Brad Fittler likes what he sees?

“Jack Wighton’s been in outstanding form this year,” Fittler said“He’s just so strong, his kicking game’s been good for a first time [half]; this is the first time he’s really been in the frontline, he’s been fullback for a number of . years.”

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/canberra-r ... d1fec22042
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Re: Is Jack Wighton finally ready for NSW Blues call up?

Post by Timbo »

I suppose he could fill the spot that Peachy had last year on the bench. Can cover the halves, outside backs and backrow.

Could actually be a clever pick.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Timbo wrote: May 6, 2019, 2:57 pm I suppose he could fill the spot that Peachy had last year on the bench. Can cover the halves, outside backs and backrow.

Was thinking this yesterday actually. Peachey didn't really lock down his spot last year and form is scratchy in 2019. Makes the NSW no14 up for grabs. Wighton can cover every position in the back line so has the versatility. If he keeps up the form of this last weekend then he'll come right into consideration.

Who would be the other options for bench utility?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Northern Raider wrote:
Timbo wrote: May 6, 2019, 2:57 pm I suppose he could fill the spot that Peachy had last year on the bench. Can cover the halves, outside backs and backrow.

Was thinking this yesterday actually. Peachey didn't really lock down his spot last year and form is scratchy in 2019. Makes the NSW no14 up for grabs. Wighton can cover every position in the back line so has the versatility. If he keeps up the form of this last weekend then he'll come right into consideration.

I feel like #14 will be given to Cody Walker, but it would make sense to have Jack in there
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Sid wrote: May 6, 2019, 3:34 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

I feel like #14 will be given to Cody Walker, but it would make sense to have Jack in there
If they picked on form then Walker would be no6.

NSW selectors in a quandary. Their winning halves combo of last year is struggling for form in 2019.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

In form Raiders players have been brushed before and I'm afraid it will be more of the same...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Cleary going fine

Cleary and keary imo is nicer then Munster and dce
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Long odds but I really hope BJ has a huge 3 weeks and gets that right center spot.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

edwahu wrote:Long odds but I really hope BJ has a huge 3 weeks and gets that right center spot.
This week he marks up against Latrell, mo better time to put forward your case.

The media have talked up Latrell this week like he is unstoppable.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I think in a fortnight Jack, BJ and Cotric will have a pretty clear case, or not, for origin inclusion.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I'd love to see Jack given a shot on the bench.

I can't see any logic to keeping the incumbent 6,7 and 14.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

BadnMean wrote: May 6, 2019, 4:33 pm I think in a fortnight Jack, BJ and Cotric will have a pretty clear case, or not, for origin inclusion.
Spot on. We win those two games and all three play well it will be hard to leave them out.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Roberts probably wont be there. More likely in reserve grade .

But they will pick Bird before they pick Joey or Toots.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

3 premierships, 3 dally M's and a Clive Churchill medal. Might get a thought.
WorkChoice
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I don't know if Jack will be selected for Origin but I do know this. The Blues won last year series because Fittler picked in form players. From what we've all seen this year Mahoney and Cleary are goneski.

Luke Keary has been on fire and deserves a jersey..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

The thought actually crossed my mind more than once during the game on the weekend as Jack carved up and made Maloney and Cleary look stupid.

But it's the Blues and they always pick names and almost never form and so I don't trust them one iota to do the right thing at all.

Even saw a few social media suggestions to push Mitchell across to the other centre and bring in Croker...which is far from the worst idea.

But I'm quite convinced that we'll be on the same as usual and the Blues would sooner pick losers out of position than pick Raiders.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

Northern Raider wrote: May 6, 2019, 3:14 pm

Radley may have a bit of a claim.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

No.
I like what i've seen from him so far, but he's still making WAY too many errors to be thrown into that sort of high stakes game.

He's not ready.
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

They also mentioned Cam Murray today as the number 14

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Timbo wrote: May 6, 2019, 7:41 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 6, 2019, 3:14 pm

Radley may have a bit of a claim.
A bit early for Radley. A ton of talent needing more refinement. They would bring him into camp for experience and that's about it.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Green eyed Mick wrote: May 6, 2019, 4:46 pm I'd love to see Jack given a shot on the bench.

I can't see any logic to keeping the incumbent 6,7 and 14.
The only logic is sticking with a winning team. They're definitely not in form. It's a tough call for Fittler TBH.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Well as a Queenslander I HOPE New South Wales chops and changes their halves again... it’s what they do best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

PigRickman wrote: May 6, 2019, 7:47 pm No.
I like what i've seen from him so far, but he's still making WAY too many errors to be thrown into that sort of high stakes game.

He's not ready.
He's twice the player Peachy is already. I think he'd go to another level.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I don't think Jack will be selected. Too many errors for SOO. I would go with Cleary and Keary in the halves. Keary is in such good form - and was the best in last years Grand Final - so I think he should be picked. Cleary provides another good tactical kicking option because hooker Cook does not have a strong kicking game. Also Cleary plays on the right and Keary plays on the left for their Club sides so they compliment each other. Keary, Mitchell and Cordner looks a very strong left side attack for NSW who will have speedster Addo-Carr outside them. Teddy will be fullback.

Given the injury to Turbo Tom the right side is more problematic. Does he look at bad boys Dugan and Ferguson or out of form Roberts. Does he look to newbies like Nic Cotric, Lomax and Xerri or some mixture of both. Would BJ be considered? Plenty of options.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

6. Keary
7. Cleary

14. Walker

That's the logical form v incumbency selection, in my books. Also a combination that could work for a long time.

I think Wighton could handle Origin and adds a lot injury cover at 14 but not sure what his role would be if it's just as a sub. On the other hand, Walker could break the game open coming on when QLD is tired, which what Fittler will go for, I reckon.

Right centre will be tough. BJ is the form selection and who I'd choose but will have a big job shaking off his reputation as a loose cannon. Of the other options in that article, Roberts stinks, is injured and out of form; Jack Bird stinks and is out of form; Aitken isn't really good enough; and Croker is good enough but won't get a look in due to just not being the type of player that gets selected for Origin. So maybe Wighton is a chance there.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Bird has played ok in a stinker of a team from what I have seen. He will probably get it.

Toots plays on the wrong side unfortunately or he would have a huge shot.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Wighton should only be considered as a centre or winger. He’d do a good job out there imo.

Peachey at 14 should still be one of the first players picked for NSW. Your utility needs to be able to cover hooker and a back line injury. It’s ideal if they can defend back row and run from dummy half. This is Peachey’s born role.

Wighton does not cover dummy half.
Cody Walker does not cover dummy half or an outside back spot (only ever played 1 or 6 in first grade from memory)
Radley/Murray do not cover the outside backs or halves.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

RedRaider wrote: May 6, 2019, 11:40 pm Does he look to newbies like Nic Cotric, Lomax and Xerri or some mixture of both. Would BJ be considered? Plenty of options.
Lomax and Xerri are baffling mentions.

Right centre should honestly be picked out of Leilua, Crocker and Wighton. No one can convince me they’re not the next best 3 nsw centers after Latrell.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

As for the open centre and winger positions, I think Ferguson will be given one of the positions and a Raider the other for game 1 until T. Trbojevic is fit again.

Raiders having the best defence in the competition so far should help push the cases of some of the Raiders players who had question marks on their defence.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Ruben Daley wrote: May 7, 2019, 6:22 am 6. Keary
7. Cleary

14. Walker

That's the logical form v incumbency selection, in my books. Also a combination that could work for a long time.

I think Wighton could handle Origin and adds a lot injury cover at 14 but not sure what his role would be if it's just as a sub. On the other hand, Walker could break the game open coming on when QLD is tired, which what Fittler will go for, I reckon.

Right centre will be tough. BJ is the form selection and who I'd choose but will have a big job shaking off his reputation as a loose cannon. Of the other options in that article, Roberts stinks, is injured and out of form; Jack Bird stinks and is out of form; Aitken isn't really good enough; and Croker is good enough but won't get a look in due to just not being the type of player that gets selected for Origin. So maybe Wighton is a chance there.
This is the best blend of form vs incumbency for mine too, although I still secretly hope NSW changes all three!

If Cleary is dropped after one winning series it just shows NSW have NFI how to build a winning squad over several seasons.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I thought we'd be able to move past the Peachy is good talk this year. Ah well, round we go again. I think the play makers will be:
6. Keary
7. Cleary

As for the 14 it could be anyone of Victor Radley, Jack Bird or Wighton depending on what you want to cover and who else you have on your bench. Bird has been one of the better broncos players recently and always goes up a gear for big games but I'd be choosing either Radley or Wighton.

That right edge is going to be interesting. It's a real shame Mitchell isn't a right edge player or I think we'd be seeing Croker get in on the left.
Freddy could choose a Bird / Fergo right edge but I'd be hoping for a Leilua / Cotric combo. Surely guys like Roberts and Scott are out of the picture now they're in reserve grade.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

quite a few guys that were having their name bought up to play centre for NSW last year have had falls from grace this year.

Roberts - dropped
Curtis Scott - dropped
Jessie Ramien - not getting much ball in an under performing side
Aitkin - Benched
Dugan - Now a winger, not a centre
Bird - Stinking it up in a side playing well below standard
Peachey - Not doing too well

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Sid wrote: May 7, 2019, 12:05 pm quite a few guys that were having their name bought up to play centre for NSW last year have had falls from grace this year.

Roberts - dropped
Curtis Scott - dropped
Aitkin - Benched
Bird has not been stinking it up. Hes probably been their best, not that it means anything
Dont delete this GE
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

simo wrote: May 7, 2019, 12:12 pm
Sid wrote: May 7, 2019, 12:05 pm quite a few guys that were having their name bought up to play centre for NSW last year have had falls from grace this year.

Roberts - dropped
Curtis Scott - dropped
Aitkin - Benched
Bird has not been stinking it up. Hes probably been their best, not that it means anything
Not been impressed with him. Too often cutting back in then running across field. Pads out his tackle break stats and achieves little else. If NSW think thats the way to go then good luck to them.
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

Bird has butchered about four tries this season with the line open.

Leilua or Croker are the logical picks. I'd also cop Ramien, he's looked very very good when he's actually got some ball.