Williams or Sezer?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Re: Williams or Sezer

Post by afgtnk »

Must say Hingano looks quite decent in those latest NSW Cup highlights and comfortably better than Sezer.

If he keeps that up I wouldn't be against giving him a run at some point.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

RedRaider wrote: May 3, 2019, 5:45 pm
simo wrote: May 3, 2019, 7:51 am
RedRaider wrote: May 3, 2019, 12:18 am I hope our new right winger can catch an attacking bomb. Sam put up 2 which were knocked on last week, one by BJ and one by Cotric. Also his 40/20 was wasted by Jacks forward pass to EW. A kick is only ever as good as it's chase. We had 3 clear opportunities created by Sam but not capitalized on.
Definitely credit deserved by sam for his 40/20. Was slick. But no way in hell am i using a bomb while in an attacking position as a positive. Attacking bombs are not in a good halfs playbook.
I have to disagree with you there Simo. Every player in the halves these days has a bomb in their arsenal. It's only been called a 'bomb' since the early 70's in the days of John 'bomber' Peard. Before that it still existed but was called an 'up and under'. Peard was very accurate in his placement of the bomb and he got great height on the ball to allow the chasers to get under it. Every club uses it, with varying degrees of success, in each game. As always though, a kick is only as good as it's chase.
Its 2019. If youre in the attacking zone and just hoofing it up in the air (like williams did twice) then youre not up to scratch. Not saying they cant pay off, just that a good halves kicking game involves rolling it through the line or a pass-like cross field kick. Praising a bloke for just putting the ball in the air is odd
Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

afgtnk wrote: May 3, 2019, 6:27 pm Must say Hingano looks quite decent in those latest NSW Cup highlights and comfortably better than Sezer.

Has anyone worked out what sezer did to you yet?
Dont delete this GE
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

It's the accuracy of the kick which gives the chasers the opportunity Simo. It's not just a hoof and hope. It's generally targeted.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

RedRaider wrote: May 3, 2019, 8:43 pm It's the accuracy of the kick which gives the chasers the opportunity Simo. It's not just a hoof and hope. It's generally targeted.
Well said. Now if you could let Sam Williams know that, it would help us greatly. And if you want the wingers to catch a bomb, it would help if those bombs arent coming down 3-5 metres away from the goal line forcing the attackers to go for the dubious tap back option.
What made his bomb for Wighton so good was that it was put on the try line. Wighton needed only to catch it, hang on it and it's a try... More of that, and less of the shallow, short **** that forces our wingers to leap without leverage, and play the tap back game.

Also i'd help if he wasnt setting up the opposition up on their 30 and 40 every set with his long kicks, that'd be great.
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

PigRickman wrote: May 3, 2019, 9:04 pm
RedRaider wrote: May 3, 2019, 8:43 pm It's the accuracy of the kick which gives the chasers the opportunity Simo. It's not just a hoof and hope. It's generally targeted.
Well said. Now if you could let Sam Williams know that, it would help us greatly. And if you want the wingers to catch a bomb, it would help if those bombs arent coming down 3-5 metres away from the goal line forcing the attackers to go for the dubious tap back option.
What made his bomb for Wighton so good was that it was put on the try line. Wighton needed only to catch it, hang on it and it's a try... More of that, and less of the shallow, short **** that forces our wingers to leap without leverage, and play the tap back game.

Also i'd help if he wasnt setting up the opposition up on their 30 and 40 every set with his long kicks, that'd be great.
Unfortunately sezer isnt the next immortal so we cant drop williams for him
Dont delete this GE
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

simo wrote: May 3, 2019, 6:53 pm
afgtnk wrote: May 3, 2019, 6:27 pm Must say Hingano looks quite decent in those latest NSW Cup highlights and comfortably better than Sezer.

Has anyone worked out what sezer did to you yet?
ha ha, i must have watched a different highlights video
raider 4 life
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

PigRickman wrote: May 3, 2019, 9:04 pm

Only they were attempting to catch it not bat it back. I don't see whats wrong with catching the ball and going for the line. The worst that can happen is that the catcher is brought down just short of the line. If it's the last tackle then it's not the worst place to hand over possession. Jack is not good at batting the ball back. Twice this year he has found the opposition who are then able to make deep inroads. I hope he continues to attempt to catch the footy.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

It'd be great if our dummy half trusted whoever wore the 7 to get the job done in the attacking 20.

Love Hodgo, but he seriously needs to take a step back every now and again.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Credit to Williams today, he was heroic in defense.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah that’ll keep the wolves at bay for sure
He was fantastic in defence today.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Defense was excellent. Same with Oldfield on that same side. Looked like an Achilles heel pre-game but they stood up to the test.

He still needs to do more with the ball. Only 21 touches compared to Jack's 51. 0 run metres from those 21 gets as well. Too much catch and pass stuff.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Yes good game. Still I hope GE gives him a 6 again to stir the pot!!!

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:Defense was excellent. Same with Oldfield on that same side. Looked like an Achilles heel pre-game but they stood up to the test.

He still needs to do more with the ball. Only 21 touches compared to Jack's 51. 0 run metres from those 21 gets as well. Too much catch and pass stuff.
I only noticed the one carry where he was drifting but then jinked and straightened up like he needed to.. but needs to do more of it.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Solid game from Williams. Defence, kicking and all round organisational play. Good thing the coach stuck by him
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I don't think he needs more footy. I'd much rather see Jack with that sort of possession advantage.

If he can defend like that, produce some good kicks and occasionally get involved beyond that then he has found his niche.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: May 4, 2019, 5:16 pm Yes good game. Still I hope GE gives him a 6 again to stir the pot!!!

6 would be right
He defended his **** off and set up the early try but was otherwise barely noticeable
Which is frankly the best we could hope from for a number 7 this year. Defend, give us one try and don’t **** up egregiously otherwise
If he does that he can have the spot until George gets here
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

One of the worst try assists you'll ever see. Sezer would have had that kick at a right angle and lead Oldfield in under the posts.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

PigRickman wrote: May 4, 2019, 5:22 pm
gergreg wrote: May 4, 2019, 5:16 pm Yes good game. Still I hope GE gives him a 6 again to stir the pot!!!

6 would be right
He defended his **** off and set up the early try but was otherwise barely noticeable
Which is frankly the best we could hope from for a number 7 this year. Defend, give us one try and don’t **** up egregiously otherwise
If he does that he can have the spot until George gets here
If his job is not to **** up he did it very well today.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Sezer's Palace
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by Sezer's Palace »

Massive credit to Sam.

I was genuinely terrified pre-game about his defence against Kikau but he handled everything they threw at him and that kick for Oldy was classy.
Instagram: @sezerspalace
Twitter: @jackkcronin
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Yep I thought Kikau would run riot at Williams, Oldfield and Bailey. Good solid effort from Sam today all round.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Waqa Blake’s not the easiest to handle either but Williams chopped him down one on one a few times today
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Williams did well in defense today. More important than ever they maintained that shape and Bateman / Whitehead, Sammy and Oldfield really stuck to it. Such an improvement from the guy that would make you nervous with Chris Lawrence running at him. That's a pat on the back to that whole edge as well as Sammy.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

Just keep on keeping on Sammy lol
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Northern Raider wrote: May 4, 2019, 5:15 pm Defense was excellent. Same with Oldfield on that same side. Looked like an Achilles heel pre-game but they stood up to the test.

I agree with you NR. I was at today's match in Wagga and I was waiting for him to take on the line in the second half to take some pressure off the forwards. Still, he played well in a good team effort.
There were some harsh words between Sam and Hodgo. Couldn't hear it over the crowd but they were clearly not happy with each other. Hopefully a spur of the moment thing which will blow over.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

RedRaider wrote: May 4, 2019, 7:15 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 4, 2019, 5:15 pm Defense was excellent. Same with Oldfield on that same side. Looked like an Achilles heel pre-game but they stood up to the test.

I agree with you NR. I was at today's match in Wagga and I was waiting for him to take on the line in the second half to take some pressure off the forwards. Still, he played well in a good team effort.
There were some harsh words between Sam and Hodgo. Couldn't hear it over the crowd but they were clearly not happy with each other. Hopefully a spur of the moment thing which will blow over.
Thing is we know Williams can run the ball. We've seen him do it. For some reason he's not having a crack. Whether it's coaches instructions or his own lack of confidence we don't know. Have a look at the stats this year. 70 running metres total from 6 games. That's around the same metres as Cleary had in this game alone.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

RedRaider wrote: May 4, 2019, 7:15 pm

My guess would be something to do with the stat that Jack has the ball over 50 times and he gets it less than half that.

The bloke had a solid game today and the things he got a chance to do he did well so credit to him. But again we have people criticising his involvement whilst completely ignoring the fact he's not getting the bloody ball.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

So why is Whighton getting it more than double the number of times?
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

Because if the hooker doesn't go himself, he prefers to pass the ball to Jack. Or it could be a coach directive, your guess is as good as mine.

As I said 3 weeks ago, we are a team of ball carriers. So if you look at the way we set up with the ball and play, we're mostly trying to break teams down with strong carries rather than ballplaying ability. That's why I suggest that the player Ricky LEAST wants with the ball in hand is Williams, he's his least threatening carrier and Hodgson has the keys to run the team so takes whatever option he wants which doesn't seem to be Sam (and probably won't be Aiden either).

I said this week I don't have a horse in this debate, if all Ricky wants from his halfback is to do his job defensively and put the odd decent kick in (even though Wighton and Hodgson seem to be preferred on those now too) then he might as well switch to Sezer. I'm not overly fussed. But clearly people have a massive agenda against Williams and nitpick at him for every single thing even when he has a solid game and is helping to contribute to 2nd on the table at this point in time. He's a halfback who is used to handling multiple times a set and steering a team around the park, that's his game that got him this far in RL, now all of a sudden when he is the preferred half in an NRL side that is doing well he hides from handling the ball and wants to play completely differently? I'm not buying it. He's not getting the ball even when he wants it and my guess only is that it is Hodgson making that choice more than anyone else.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

As I said earlier, I can't say if it's him or the game plan being the reason he doesn't run at all. I'd just like to see him engage the defense more than zero times a game.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

Fair enough mate. Point taken.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Northern Raider wrote:As I said earlier, I can't say if it's him or the game plan being the reason he doesn't run at all. I'd just like to see him engage the defense more than zero times a game.
Seems like smart play to me. If you’re getting limited touches you mostly give it to the strike force around you. Can you imagine the uproar if in limited opportunities Williams was regularly running himself instead of unleashing Leipana?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The truest indication of a player is what their own team allows them and plans for them to do.
To Woodgers point, he's right, Sam Williams does want the ball, but no one in this club believes he should get it... hard to argue given his career to date.

Put your body on the line in defence, kick to spaces, take the gimmies when they present themselves to you, pass to better players than you. If he does that, as he did today, then im more than happy for him to be the George Williams seat warmer.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gangrenous wrote: May 4, 2019, 9:45 pm
Northern Raider wrote:As I said earlier, I can't say if it's him or the game plan being the reason he doesn't run at all. I'd just like to see him engage the defense more than zero times a game.
Seems like smart play to me. If you’re getting limited touches you mostly give it to the strike force around you. Can you imagine the uproar if in limited opportunities Williams was regularly running himself instead of unleashing Leipana?
There's a big difference between regularly running yourself and not running at all. E.g. run occasionally.

If I had to guess though I'd say he's doing what the coach wants him to do. Otherwise Sezer would be back in the team.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Play it again Sam...

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk