Raiders player signing speculation 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by edwahu »

FROG wrote: April 28, 2019, 4:15 am Case in point ed, 10 of 17 Broncos players ran for over 100 meters. The stats I have had TPJ at 160m, Haas at 153m and lodge at 180m!!
Sure, and Haas and Lodge played great.

Stats don't tell the whole story, but they definitely indicate workload.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

FROG wrote: April 28, 2019, 4:07 am Ed, I'll be honest and say I didn't watch the Broncos play a sharks team stacked with reggies players but you'd have to agree that stats alone don't tell the full story. He has failed the eye test when ever I've seen him this year. Granted he has some big plays in him, he can create something out of nothing, but he also has just as many dumb plays in him. The debate is not whether he's got potential, we'd all agree he does, it's whether he's worth 1m.. which I firmly believe he ain't.
Of course he isn't worth $1m! Pretty much no middle player outside Taumalolo is.

The people who would throw that sort of money at him are probably the same people who would blow up about the club managing our salary cap poorly when things turn to ****, and they realise most of our money is tied up in the front row.

You need value players like Jordan McLean, Alex Twal and Matt Prior in your pack - and then sometimes you hit paydirt with the likes of Sio Taukeiaho at the Roosters, who signed on for peanuts after doing his knee. Forking out mega bucks for young middles is crazy.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Yet the Roosters paid a million for a non Origin player with 30 games in a lower value and less critical position in Creighton.

The actual evidence suggests crazy is paying 1m+ for spine players, not middles. The worst contracts over 1m are all with halves or 5/8ths.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

High risk, high reward.

Using Creighton as an example doesn't really prove a point. It just says the Roosters have an unlimited cap because they also paid Tedesco and Cronk massive money as key position players.

After the Melbourne Storm got busted for rorting the cap, they held onto Smith, Slater and Cronk and let a number of other high profile players go. Doesn't that tell you anything? Every team that wins a comp has a high quality spine. Middles are important, but there is no way that any club (other than us in the Shillo, TLL and White years) is going to pay overs in that position over your spine players.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Ash Taylor and Kieran Foran are certainly rumoured to be on dud deals. Hayne was arguably another key position player who was a bust. Contracts for guys like Shaun Johnson and Anthony Milford are subjective. Great players on their day, who need structure around them to be fully effective. Time will tell with Ponga.

I tell you what though, for any of those guys, there is a Smith, Thurston, RTS, Tedesco, Maloney or DCE who absolutely own the outcome of the game for their club.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

If TPJ isn’t on a million next contract it will be close to it.
Sure he can be a bit lazy in defence, and can sometimes push the pass a bit, but at his young age he can learn to improve both of those things.
It would be a punt to sign him on huge money, but every time you sign someone at that large contract it’s a risk.
The only time it’s not a risk is when you’re re-signing Cam Smith or Thurston at age 28.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 28, 2019, 9:26 am Ash Taylor and Kieran Foran are certainly rumoured to be on dud deals. Hayne was arguably another key position player who was a bust. Contracts for guys like Shaun Johnson and Anthony Milford are subjective. Great players on their day, who need structure around them to be fully effective. Time will tell with Ponga.

I tell you what though, for any of those guys, there is a Smith, Thurston, RTS, Tedesco, Maloney or DCE who absolutely own the outcome of the game for their club.
Based on reports 3/6 of those players aren't on a million. If you move back to 700-900k range like them then middles are some of the best signings on the market.

The 1m+ players who were signed as spine players are reportedly DCE, Hunt, Bird, Cronk, Foran, Johnson, Milford, Pearce, Taylor, Morgan.

Forwards are Lolo, Crichton, Burgess.

To me Cronk is the only current 1m+ spine signing that's delivered value in line with his deal (plus Tedesco if you count him). I mean Manly are at 40% since they signed DCE to that deal and have the most top heavy squad in the comp.

To me there is no use pursuing spine players with big money because they always go to the Roosters or they are impossible to budge without paying guaranteed overs. You are better to try and develop those players and find value where you can.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep, fair enough. There are a lot of examples of spine players who don't quite deliver on the dollars. Makes sense as they are the vast majority of players who are generally paid the big money.

It really depends on how you look at it. Lolo and Burgess are freaks. These are top shelf forwards, like Clyde, who can make breaks out of nothing, eat up huge metres in contact and tackle like a machine. These guys come along once or twice a generation.

Generally, top quality middles do a couple of simple things really well. Given the role they play, they are also prone to injury.

I hope for TPJ's sake he gets the big deal he's after. If he does, it won't be with the Raiders.

You make reference to the $700-900k range as value for money. That's changing the goal posts a bit. I think TPJ falls somewhere in the $750k range.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I only mentioned 700-900k range because you raised Maloney and RTS who are in that ball park. Tedesco perhaps as well depending on reports.

That's why the whole million debate is a bit dumb anyway. DCE's deal is the same gap to Lolo's as his is to a bloke on 700k.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 28, 2019, 10:37 am
You make reference to the $700-900k range as value for money. That's changing the goal posts a bit. I think TPJ falls somewhere in the $750k range.
Problem is I'd say most clubs in the NRL would be willing to sign TPJ at $750k. That would be a great value signing.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I would sooner sign Taupau
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Raiders_Pat wrote: April 28, 2019, 10:57 am
Seiffert82 wrote: April 28, 2019, 10:37 am
Problem is I'd say most clubs in the NRL would be willing to sign TPJ at $750k. That would be a great value signing.
Time will tell. I'd certainly make moves at that price point. Anything above $800k is quite a risk as far as balancing a quality squad. We'd have to lose someone like Tapine to pick up the likes of TPJ. That's the reality.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Any good hookers available ? Because our one needs time at Mounties

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Neeeegz wrote: April 28, 2019, 2:56 pm Any good hookers available ? Because our one needs time at Mounties

Good grief hahah
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Neeeegz wrote:Any good hookers available ? Because our one needs time at Mounties

Yes he overplays his hand and yes he tries too much but take a chill pill

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Neeeegz wrote: April 28, 2019, 2:56 pm Any good hookers available ? Because our one needs time at Mounties

:lol: April fools...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

This has killed me :lol: :lol:
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

While it was an over reaction. He needs to stop killing our momentum with stupid plays. Give our halves and backs the ball instead of our forwards doing one up. It kills us and cannot get a team on the back foot doing that for 4/6 runs per set.

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Reading the RLFans forum Wigan are rumoured to have signed a new half for next year. So we could see a Williams announcement soon. They are also mentioning the Gildart signing as a posibillity.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I have seen a Gildart rumour, I wonder if he's going to be a Jordan Rapana replacement
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Sid wrote: April 30, 2019, 12:21 pm I have seen a Gildart rumour, I wonder if he's going to be a Jordan Rapana replacement
I don't think there is such a thing. Raps is irreplaceable.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

edwahu wrote: April 30, 2019, 12:50 pm
Sid wrote: April 30, 2019, 12:21 pm I have seen a Gildart rumour, I wonder if he's going to be a Jordan Rapana replacement
I don't think there is such a thing. Raps is irreplaceable.
X2 you only have to look at our lack of go forward once he went off last week, we are taking a VERY long time to re-sign him, its concerning IMO
Mr. Snrub
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Albert Fulivai

Post by Mr. Snrub »

What is wrong with some of you on here? I watched the Storm game from last week and Cameron Smith had a couple of absolute shockers in attack. A great player is still bound to make a few mistakes here and there.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Absolute cowards everywhere, Snrub.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

If we signed Oliver Gildart, someone from Wigan is going to get on a plane and blow up Raiders HQ

Also he plays centre on Crokers side. Can't see it.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

The Rickman wrote:Absolute cowards everywhere, Snrub.
Cowards ?? What are you on ? I'd suggest halving your dose. My post was made in relation to Hodgson being an out and out ball hog this year. And for 2017 and when he came back last year. He needs to give our backs clean early ball. Fact

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Neeeegz wrote: April 30, 2019, 3:52 pm
Cowards ?? What are you on ? I'd suggest halving your dose. My post was made in relation to Hodgson being an out and out ball hog this year. And for 2017 and when he came back last year. He needs to give our backs clean early ball. Fact

Possibly being a bit tongue in cheek- "cowards" seems to have become the new forum buzzword meme this week but it's confusing and a bit insulting if you haven't been on the forum for a day or two and then it gets thrown at you.

I think to started in the Croker's kicking thread, where it was apparently cowardly to notice his kicking form was a bit off to start the year.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote: April 30, 2019, 4:03 pm

Possibly being a bit tongue in cheek- "cowards" seems to have become the new forum buzzword meme this week but it's confusing and a bit insulting if you haven't been on the forum for a day or two and then it gets thrown at you.

I think to started in the Croker's kicking thread, where it was apparently cowardly to notice his kicking form was a bit off to start the year.
Haha yeah, that's exactly what happened. After Croker kicked 3/3 on the weekend someone posted in the Croker Kicking Thread something like "Where are all you cowards now?" and it just sortof took on a life of its own... as these things do.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The Rickman wrote: April 30, 2019, 4:19 pm
BadnMean wrote: April 30, 2019, 4:03 pm

Haha yeah, that's exactly what happened. After Croker kicked 3/3 on the weekend someone posted in the Croker Kicking Thread something like "Where are all you cowards now?" and it just sortof took on a life of its own... as these things do.
Croker kicked 4/4 ya coward...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

If he'd kicked 5/5 including that penalty we didn't take at 14-6 we would have won, so clearly his kicking cost us the game. The thread stands.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

All good. Sorry I missed the shenanigans. And Hodgo is a ball hog and needs to release some responsibility onto other players. They didn't use BJ very well against manly is just one of my issues

Neeeegz
John Ferguson

Post by Neeeegz »

BadnMean wrote:If he'd kicked 5/5 including that penalty we didn't take at 14-6 we would have won, so clearly his kicking cost us the game. The thread stands.
🤣🤣🤣 well, since you put it like that... it's right in a cowardly kind of way

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Neeeegz wrote: April 30, 2019, 5:54 pm All good. Sorry I missed the shenanigans. And Hodgo is a ball hog and needs to release some responsibility onto other players. They didn't use BJ very well against manly is just one of my issues

Sorry you missed the shenanigans??

Coward.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Neeeegz wrote: April 30, 2019, 5:55 pm
BadnMean wrote:If he'd kicked 5/5 including that penalty we didn't take at 14-6 we would have won, so clearly his kicking cost us the game. The thread stands.
🤣🤣🤣 well, since you put it like that... it's right in a cowardly kind of way

Nice use of the lingo, Neeeeeeeegz.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I don’t know what the best piece of fiction I’ve witnessed this week has been
* Endgame
* Battle of Winterfell
* Hodgo needing to be dropped to Mounties
* Our 80% goal kicker needing to be relieved of his duties.

It’s really been a week

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021