Josh Hodgson

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: Josh Hodgson

Post by gangrenous »

You must watch a different game to the rest of us edwahu.

Hodgson gives the ball to the halves on the last and runs 4 crash balls first virtually every set. If I know it, sure as hell the opposition knows it. Try and do the halves job knowing you get the ball on the last and you’re about to be drilled.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

edwahu wrote: April 28, 2019, 5:52 pm Our halves actually got on par or a not miles off amount of footy with plenty of other side's this weekend as a ratio to Hodgos possessions, for example it was exactly the same as the Storm ratio. I think there is a bit of an imagined way people think teams should play which you rarely see in practice.

Now sure the execution from Hodgo needs to improve, especially his kicking, but tactically it's still sound.
I've heard this a few times now. I'd like to know the stats within the opposition 20, not concerned as much as the rest of the field.

Further, what the stats won't capture is the quality of the ball he's giving and in what situations. I've lost count of how many times we've literally had either side stacked, half screaming for the ball ready to run a play, only for Hodgson to go off doing his own thing and fail. The eyes aren't failing here.

Halves generally seem to always get their touches in the sequence of play. That doesn't mean they're getting it where and when they should be, which drastically reduces their ability to be effective.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

gangrenous wrote: April 28, 2019, 5:58 pm You must watch a different game to the rest of us edwahu.

Hodgson gives the ball to the halves on the last and runs 4 crash balls first virtually every set. If I know it, sure as hell the opposition knows it. Try and do the halves job knowing you get the ball on the last and you’re about to be drilled.
I mean that seems to be what the stats show. I think that other halves dont run nearly as many plays in other sides as people seem to think and that it's exaggerated to say ours don't run any. Fact is ours had 70 possessions today and only 15 of those were kicks, while Hodgo had 100 including all the distribution he has to do.
Last edited by edwahu on April 28, 2019, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

No one gave a **** about this when it was Sezer getting stifled, haha

You make the best with what you’re given. Our halves are and have been getting enough touches in the red zone this season to produce more than they have delivered.
We’re just not a good attacking team, the shape and motion of players has disappeared with Crowley and none the halves on the books are creative enough to over come the lack of scheme
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

-PJ- wrote: April 28, 2019, 4:43 pm
Rickmando wrote: April 28, 2019, 2:50 pm I’m fed up with Hodgson!

Crash balls and useless short kicks that find legs!!!

They are momentum killers.

He’s clearly a dumb footballer because he’s shown no sign of learning anything about his game in the past 2 years.

Is he dining out on his breakout season in 2016?
Would you rather he wasn't a part of our club ?

I'll give you a moment to think about it..

EDIT
Very adult of you to use my unofficial title, cheers.

Now for the sensible discussion part, assuming you’re up for it PJ??

Would I rather he wasn’t at the club? Well, if you offered me 4 or 5 other hookers in the comp that I rate above him, then yeah I’d prefer them instead of him. He shouldn’t be untouchable (no one should - otherwise you can guarantee performances will drop).

I’m allowed to be down on him mate. I don’t have to be in his fan club just because everyone else is.

But for the short term - I just want him to play better! I feel he’s had too many free passes in the past 2 years. There is criticism of him this year... but he’s been doing this stuff for the previous 2 seasons.

Perhaps worst of all - he is making his team mates play worse. All the greats of the game elevate those around them... before you call me another name, how about you consider whether Hodgson is doing that currently???
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Fan club? He is the scapegoat this year.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

PigRickman wrote: April 28, 2019, 6:10 pm No one gave a **** about this when it was Sezer getting stifled, haha

You make the best with what you’re given. Our halves are and have been getting enough touches in the red zone this season to produce more than they have delivered.
We’re just not a good attacking team, the shape and motion of players has disappeared with Crowley and none the halves on the books are creative enough to over come the lack of scheme
It was absolutely cared about when Sezer was in the 7. When do you think the whole 'Hodgson's overplaying his hand' came about, and from who?.

Sezer's problem is/was he couldn't put a player through a hole or force a repeat set to save himself and his entire family. Those are Sam's stronger points, we're just not seeing them (more so the passing) as much as we could be because Hodgson has taken his overplaying to a new level this season.

Lucky we've started strongly, because I can guarantee this would be a much bigger issue than it currently is.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I’d say we’re not seeing them because despite them being a stronger part of his game he’s just not actually good at it, and that it’s a stronger part of his game speaks more to the general quality of his other play.
Sam can’t ball play for ****, and his kicking game is very inconsistent
He’s getting the same ball our other **** half got and is doing no better with it
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

No, pretty sure he's an ok ball player, just not getting the same ball in the 20 chiefly because Hodgo is trying to do way too much atm. Having a lot less bodies in motion isn't helping either half too. From what I gather most seem to be viewing it this way.

If you want to keep running your Sezer agenda though you're more than welcome to - it doesn't change the fact that he's garbage, despite being on twice the salary our current 7 is.
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Bennyinthewest »

I still feel Sezer received worse passes in the 20, hodgo almost never just fired one straight to him and I watch most games with a hooker with me (not the fun type) who has played at a decent level. So all I have to hear about is does hodgo hate sezer

Anyway we all want the same thi g, a better halfback and then hoping hodgo will let the reins go a bit

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Rickmando wrote: April 28, 2019, 6:13 pm

He’s clearly a dumb footballer because he’s shown no sign of learning anything about his game in the past 2 years.

Dickcheese

Would I rather he wasn’t at the club? Well, if you offered me 4 or 5 other hookers in the comp that I rate above him, then yeah I’d prefer them instead of him. He shouldn’t be untouchable (no one should - otherwise you can guarantee performances will drop).

I’m allowed to be down on him mate. I don’t have to be in his fan club just because everyone else is.

But for the short term - I just want him to play better! I feel he’s had too many free passes in the past 2 years. There is criticism of him this year... but he’s been doing this stuff for the previous 2 seasons.

Perhaps worst of all - he is making his team mates play worse. All the greats of the game elevate those around them... before you call me another name, how about you consider whether Hodgson is doing that currently???
I agree. Hodgo has been ordinary this year and was very very poor today. He's a long way short of the elite hooker some make out imo
scotchberry
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by scotchberry »

Whilst not disagreeing on his dumb plays a lot of what he does has to be on the coach who for what ever reason seems happy that he does this week after week.

We don’t see him playing this style when playing for his national side.

Likewise Whitehead went close to winning the golden boot last season on the back of his international games, and what was the key factor ? Good early ball with room to move.

He hasn’t been given a chance since 2016
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

I'll chill, but jeez, he has to pick his moments, not make every moment his

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If only we had an extended run without Hodgo of I don't know, 13 games or so, to see how life is without him?
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

edwahu wrote: April 28, 2019, 8:16 pm If only we had an extended run without Hodgo of I don't know, 13 games or so, to see how life is without him?
No doubt he's important to our team and he's obviously a good player. If not the great player some in the media make out. And he's sadly out of form at present, I reckon he's had what? No more than 2 decent games this year. He isn't playing well. Nothing wrong with saying that.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Sure, nothing wrong with thinking it's exaggerated either.
Last edited by edwahu on April 28, 2019, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

edwahu wrote: April 28, 2019, 8:16 pm If only we had an extended run without Hodgo of I don't know, 13 games or so, to see how life is without him?
Hahah indeed
In-EDIT-deed
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

PigRickman wrote: April 28, 2019, 6:10 pm No one gave a **** about this when it was Sezer getting stifled, haha

Yes, the problem is entirely down to the structure and the game plans full stop. I have posted before that I find it incredibly hard to believe Hodgson isn't doing exactly what he is told considering he has been playing like this for years.It would be legit unbelievable for Sticky to be like hmmm i dont like the way hodgo is playing, best not do anything about it.

As I just said in the GDT sticky teams have never been hugely into attacking and we have never really had good attacking structure. We are a side with great attacking players not great attacking structures.

I paid attention to what Williams did with the ball when Hodgson would give him it in the redzone and there was a heck of a lot of inside balls to forwards running in a straight line with no support play.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I want to make sure i preface this by saying i absolutely LOVE the Klok. He's going REALLY well, and Wighton is actually already maybe our best half, which both good and **** at the same time... but we're really missing that ball playing aspect from fullback. CNK's had a couple of chances with overlaps, including today and it just doesnt look crisp right now.

That was out creative outlet from shape and structure last year, we've lost that for now.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Hazza »

edwahu wrote: April 28, 2019, 8:24 pm Sure, nothing wrong with thinking it's exaggerated either.
Ha! Didn't say there was. Think what ya want.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

PigRickman wrote: April 28, 2019, 8:56 pm I want to make sure i preface this by saying i absolutely LOVE the Klok. He's going REALLY well, and Wighton is actually already maybe our best half, which both good and **** at the same time... but we're really missing that ball playing aspect from fullback. CNK's had a couple of chances with overlaps, including today and it just doesnt look crisp right now.

That was out creative outlet from shape and structure last year, we've lost that for now.
I think the Klok is improving in this regard but the truth is our back 3 (in my mind) are all above average players who are better wingers than fullbacks.

But like you I have to say I also love the Klok. And his effort level is a 10/10 which I appreciate enormously as a fan.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Genuine haha

He’s trying too hard at the moment.
Less is more. He’ll get the balance right.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Agree about The Clock. Although in lieu of a ball playing game, he needs to be pushing up on the ball. He isn't doing either.

Obviously not our biggest concern right because he's definitely playing well, but certainly something that needs to develop.

RE Hodgo: no one isn't saying he isn't our most important player overall. He was our best player in the second half of last year, no doubt. This isn't about that. This is about him making right choices throughout a game and understanding his sphere of control, which he isn't doing so much of late.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

yeah i've been a tad disappointed about his support play in the middle, given his limitations as a ball player, but also i think he's playing very hurt, so i think that's the sort of thing that drops off the radar when you're at 80%

i cant speak highly enough for his positional play though and his last line defence.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

afgtnk wrote: April 28, 2019, 5:12 pm We know Josh Hodgson is easily the best spine player we have. He knows it too, as does Ricky.

That doesn't mean he should take it upon himself to try and run every single facet of our game. You can't do that out of hooker, it isn't possible.

Watch Cameron Smith. He's played without Slater AND Cronk many times over the last few years and had a bunch of rookies alongside him in their place. Yet he still gives them that trust to do their job. Part of why he's so good is because he knows when to go without the ball, as much as he knows when to go with it.

We're under the belief that a lot of this is gameplan. If part of the gameplan is to kick into the legs of the opposition 2-3 times a game, or run constantly into traps down the blinside (to name but a few) then Ricky Stuart needs to have a CAT scan.

Granted we don't have the best halves. Jack's move is gonna continue to be topsy turvy and ideally Sam shouldn't be a starter. He needs to trust them though and if they're not good enough to carry out the task, leave that to coaching and recruitment. It's making his own game far less effective and costing us.
This so much this
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’m going all in with the Klock here.

I noticed him running support lines off forwards today and he got nothing. There was zero searching for offloads today.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

I would love to have baptiste back. Hodgo played his best football with the gnome on the bench keeping him honest
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

edwahu wrote: April 28, 2019, 6:16 pm Fan club? He is the scapegoat this year.
On here criticising Hodgson = shooting Bambi. Has always been that way.

My criticism is that his game has not elevated since that 2016 season, in truth it’s showing signs of regressing. And he plays a position where his poor play will negatively impact team mates.

Address it now, or we will be having September off again
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

EDIT

Sorry about yesd Rickmando, calling you what I did.

Hodgson is our go to man..he knows it, we know it. The short kicks that bounce off legs annoys the be-jesus out of me as well. But without him we are running last..or close to it.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

-PJ- wrote: April 29, 2019, 10:43 am

EDIT

Hodgson is our go to man..he knows it, we know it. The short kicks that bounce off legs annoys the be-jesus out of me as well. But without him we are running last..or close to it.
All good mate. I was surprised more than anything!

As I said, where I differ on consensus is I’m swapping him for 4 or 5 other hookers rather than the claim of swapping him only for 1 or 2 (or none!). I’ve always been a bit lower on him than others, but I acknowledge he’s still an asset over replacement-level in the position, for sure.

We know he can produce big plays. But we only need one or two of those a game! The rest of the time he should put his head down and get the ball out for our outside backs - that’s where we match up better than every club in the competition. Play to our strengths.

Hopefully he gets back into some form soon.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Rickmando wrote: April 29, 2019, 11:07 am
-PJ- wrote: April 29, 2019, 10:43 am

EDIT

All good mate. I was surprised more than anything!

As I said, where I differ on consensus is I’m swapping him for 4 or 5 other hookers rather than the claim of swapping him only for 1 or 2 (or none!). I’ve always been a bit lower on him than others, but I acknowledge he’s still an asset over replacement-level in the position, for sure.

We know he can produce big plays. But we only need one or two of those a game! The rest of the time he should put his head down and get the ball out for our outside backs - that’s where we match up better than every club in the competition. Play to our strengths.

Hopefully he gets back into some form soon.
The problem we (Raiders) have is that all our attack runs thru Hodgo. No other club in this comp uses their #9 like we do. And that all comes back to our non dominant halves. I agree there are some very creative dummy halves in the league but all those hookers have a dominant #7. Friend, Cook, McInnes etc all give great service from dummy half and in their own right are good players. But behind them there is a Cronk, Reynolds, Hunt ,DCE, Brooks steering the ship.

We have SWilliams. Now I love Sammy and most of us do but he's not in the higher echelons of play makers is he ?

This is how we play..Ricky has given the steering wheel to Hodgo. He's driving the bus. There's plenty on his mind. Sometimes it won't come off..

It would be great to have a AReynolds or DCE but we don't..

Hope yr having a great day, even after yesterday's loss..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Haha yeah I don’t take the losses as hard as I used to... but the ones to Manly still sting a bit!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

gangrenous wrote: April 28, 2019, 10:45 pm I’m going all in with the Klock here.

I noticed him running support lines off forwards today and he got nothing. There was zero searching for offloads today.
We stuck with the conservative game plan that destroyed the Eels then snuck in vs Broncos. 3rd time they were ready for it and we were well contained, particularly in the red zone. The biggest difference is our defense wasn't able to hold on. Mainly due to weight of possession and field position.

If we continue to play like this we'll grind out plenty of wins but also lose our fair share, similar to yesterday. It will be enough for us to make the finals in 5th-8th spot then maybe get to week 2.

Is that a satisfactory result for the season? I'd say yes given expectations going in. Not going to deliver a premiership any time soon however.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha why did I bother reading this thread.

**** cowards.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Rickman wrote: April 29, 2019, 1:58 pm Hahaha why did I bother reading this thread.

**** cowards.
You are
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.