NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Botman »

Also just on Dillard, the one really big down side of this is that it's a major blow for Jordan Mailata's future at Philly... we got Lane and Dillard now, and all things going well that's the book end tackles for the next 5 years... so not a lot of room for Mailata.

I wonder if he shown enough to get interest for a 4th round pick, or if they'll shop Big V and continue to develop Mailata as our replacement swing tackle long term. I dunno but Mailata can't be feeling SUPER pumped about this
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

When is Jason Peters gone? I seriously doubt they saw Mailata as an immediate replacement. They knew he was a long term project. He could become primary back up by 2020
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

So no deal was done for Rosen prior to them picking Murray at no1. They're now in a very weak position to for a trade. Particularly now 2 potential suitors are off the board.

They have to offload Rosen. Can't go into pre season with him still on the books. Imagine if they found out Rosen is better than Murray.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 26, 2019, 5:51 pm When is Jason Peters gone? I seriously doubt they saw Mailata as an immediate replacement. They knew he was a long term project. He could become primary back up by 2020
He’ll retire at the end of this season
So yeah it does line up ok, in that JP plays this year with Lane, Dillard is our swing tackle and plays probably every other game when JP is hurt
They keep developing Mailata, And big V is a true back up

Then the following year Jp retires, and they either trade or cut big V, and Mailata is the swing

So it’s not that bad, but it’s a first round pick just selected in his position so not the best
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 26, 2019, 6:07 pm So no deal was done for Rosen prior to them picking Murray at no1. They're now in a very weak position to for a trade. Particularly now 2 potential suitors are off the board.

They have to offload Rosen. Can't go into pre season with him still on the books. Imagine if they found out Rosen is better than Murray.
Yeah this is a fascinating situation right now... i don’t even know who would take him now, Miami is the only one that has an opening and they want to be in on Tua

Feels like the chargers or pats could swoop for like a 5th

I’d seriously be ok with the eagles sending next years 3rd for him right now
Play him in pre season, and trade him this time next year for a late first early second
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

PigRickman wrote: April 26, 2019, 7:01 pm
Northern Raider wrote: April 26, 2019, 6:07 pm So no deal was done for Rosen prior to them picking Murray at no1. They're now in a very weak position to for a trade. Particularly now 2 potential suitors are off the board.

Yeah this is a fascinating situation right now... i don’t even know who would take him now, Miami is the only one that has an opening and they want to be in on Tua

Feels like the chargers or pats could swoop for like a 5th

I’d seriously be ok with the eagles sending next years 3rd for him right now
Play him in pre season, and trade him this time next year for a late first early second
Miami a definite option. Thing is they are under no pressure to offer anything this draft. They can see who they pick up next 2 days and then decide. If they get somebody like Finley, Grier or even Rypien I doubt they'll be interested. If not then they can offer a 3rd or 4th next year with no pressure to make it happen. It's all on the Cards now.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah it's so tough... the market is totally dry.
They're reliant on some pre season Teddy B style injury where the Eagles pounced, but even then, there is leverage because if im a team, say the Chargers, and i lose Rivers early... im not getting railed for Rosen because i'm saying to the Cards "oh im not paying a first for rosen, ill just Teddy B for a 3rd from the Saints"
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

PigRickman wrote: April 26, 2019, 8:03 pm Yeah it's so tough... the market is totally dry.
They're reliant on some pre season Teddy B style injury where the Eagles pounced, but even then, there is leverage because if im a team, say the Chargers, and i lose Rivers early... im not getting railed for Rosen because i'm saying to the Cards "oh im not paying a first for rosen, ill just Teddy B for a 3rd from the Saints"
That's the thing. Cards can't wait till preseason. They can't go into camp with both on the roster. Will be a nightmare.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Agreed.
Kind of feels like they just have to do the old fantasy football hand in the air routine

public post that says "hey guys, im trading Rosen at 5pm friday, best offer gets him, dont care what it is! Not negotiating, send your best offer"

*5pm friday, crickets*

and hope someone comes in with something good
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Oh also, just because it's been a good day and im a little deep with drinks...

Draft Grades Pt2:

N/A. Dallas Cowboys - No One
Everyone in the NFC East got better today, except the Cowboys who spent the 27th pick on Amari Cooper who'll they'll have to give 16mil a year to and 50mil odd gtd.
Thank you, please subscribe to my patreon for more searing Cowboys insights.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

PigRickman wrote: April 26, 2019, 8:33 pm Oh also, just because it's been a good day and im a little deep with drinks...

Draft Grades Pt2:

N/A. Dallas Cowboys - No One
Everyone in the NFC East got better today, except the Cowboys who spent the 27th pick on Amari Cooper who'll they'll have to give 16mil a year to and 50mil odd gtd.
Thank you, please subscribe to my patreon for more searing Cowboys insights.
At least they didn't do anything stupid on day 1
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I must admit, im POed that ill be seeing Sweat twice a yr. How on earth did he fall to 26?!?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: April 26, 2019, 9:13 pm I must admit, im POed that ill be seeing Sweat twice a yr. How on earth did he fall to 26?!?
Apparently he has a heart issue that took him off a lot of boards medically.
The NFL is stupid in a lot of ways and they are so insanely process driven, one of them is this medical thing in the draft... basically for MOST teams, your doctors either clear a guy or they dont... there is no sort of "ok this heart thing is a little concerning so lets drop him down a bit, maybe in the 20's

the docs either clear a guy and if they dont, they are flat out off the board for round 1, and off the board means you dont even see them in the war room, for teams who didnt clear him medically, they arent interested at all. Which opens the door for teams who did clear him

Its insane. But that's how it is. And when that's how it is, again, for MOST teams, and it seems like there is a lot of teams who just didnt clear him
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

A bit like Kyler Murray and that extra 1/8 of an inch at combine.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

haha indeed

It's super wild and insane that if Murray came in at 6'0 he would be the slam dunk no questions asked #1 pick, and 4 cms creates this drama
though those extra 4cm is why i manscape so who am i to judge?

**** the **** **** off. Haha
Last edited by Botman on April 26, 2019, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Spoiler, all those **** are the same words haha
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Two years in a row, Josh Allen goes at #7... mindblown

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Jaguars trade up 3 spots to #35 and pick Jawaan Taylor. Good pick - a lot of people were mocking him to the Jags with their #7 pick
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Panthers trade up to 37 and get Greg Little. Don't mind it... my first thought when I heard they had traded up was Cody Ford, but he projects more as a guard, so Little makes sense.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

The first player I haven't heard of goes to the Bucs - Sean Bunting CB from Central Michigan
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Broncos pick Risner with #41, and then trade up with the Bengals to pick Drew Lock at #42. John Elway gets his man... a bit of patience goes a long way ay Gettleman!
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

2nd player I haven't heard of... Jahlani Tavai ILB from Hawai'i. Lions pick him at #43
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

With their first pick of the draft, the Browns take Greedy Williams. He'll line up nicely alongside Denzel Ward
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Eagles get their running back - Miles Sanders from Penn State
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Only 7 picks left in the second round, and not one defensive lineman has gone in the second round
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Who is Trysten Hill and is he any good? DT, with a profile that says rotation 1 gap guy. I know Boys like to rotate their DTs, but surely they should have grabbed a TE or Saftey here???
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Dolphins get Rosen! Still waiting to confirm on what they gave up.. at least their 2nd round pick in 2019 (#62 overall which the Cardinals used on WR Andy Isabella)... could be some 2020 picks included in the trade as well
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Matt wrote: April 27, 2019, 11:23 am Who is Trysten Hill and is he any good? DT, with a profile that says rotation 1 gap guy. I know Boys like to rotate their DTs, but surely they should have grabbed a TE or Saftey here???
I'm no help... Never heard of him
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: April 27, 2019, 11:28 am Dolphins get Rosen! Still waiting to confirm on what they gave up.. at least their 2nd round pick in 2019 (#62 overall which the Cardinals used on WR Andy Isabella)... could be some 2020 picks included in the trade as well
Interesting...
Maybe Phins dont tank this year then?!?
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

And with the final pick of the 2nd round (D.K. Metcalf to the Seahawks), all 32 first round picks from my mock are off the board. A few other results from my mock:
> 7 exact picks (i.e. player/pick#/team)
>>> 6 were in the top 10, the other was Josh Jacobs at #24 to the Raiders
> 23/32 of my first rounders were picked in the first round
>>> 5 I had in the second round
>>> 4 were not in my two round mock (Savage, Howard, Collier, McGary)
> 44/64 players from my two round mock were drafted in the first two rounds (68.75%)

Look forward to doing the same next year and comparing how I go!
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Matt wrote: April 27, 2019, 11:31 am
the bone wrote: April 27, 2019, 11:28 am Dolphins get Rosen! Still waiting to confirm on what they gave up.. at least their 2nd round pick in 2019 (#62 overall which the Cardinals used on WR Andy Isabella)... could be some 2020 picks included in the trade as well
Interesting...
Yeah so much for the "Tank for Tua" campaign. Confirmed that the trade also included a 2020 5th round pick going to the Cardinals. Such good value for the Dolphins! Makes the D. Jones pick look so bad :nooo
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Jets get their DE using their 3rd round pick on Jachai Polite
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

the bone wrote: April 27, 2019, 11:48 am
Matt wrote: April 27, 2019, 11:31 am
Interesting...
Yeah so much for the "Tank for Tua" campaign. Confirmed that the trade also included a 2020 5th round pick going to the Cardinals. Such good value for the Dolphins! Makes the D. Jones pick look so bad :nooo
Dolphins traded down in 2nd round with Saints. Gave them 2nd (48th) and 4th in 2019 and received 2nd (60th) and 6th in 2019 plus a 2nd in 2020. They then traded the 2nd round pick plus a 2020 5th round for Rosen.

So effectively they paid a 2nd, 4th and 5th. In return they got Josh Rosen plus 2nd and a 6th. Net result is they basically got Rosen for a 4th round pick. Now that's some pretty good value for a top 10 pick 12 months ago.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Any questions on Dolphins commitment to 2019 is fairly moot. They are clearly putting most of their chips into 2020. They let all their high price free agents walk. That's going to potentially land them a couple of 3rd round compensatory picks. Their trades have also seen them add two picks each in rounds 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7. Throw in their normal allocation possibly (top 5) they could have 1x 1st, 2 X 2nd, 4 X 3rd, 2 X 4th, 1 X 5th, 2 X 6th and 2 X 7th. That's an insane number of picks.

Also with their culling of existing veteran contracts they are projected to have nearly $120m in cap room.

Fair to say their 2019 team will be very different to 2020.
the bone
John Ferguson

NFL Thread

Post by the bone »

Panthers take Will Grier with their third round comp pick after trading away their other 3rd to move up for Little. Pretty annoyed... wasted pick... there are some good safeties on the board that we should’ve taken

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse