NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

the bone
John Ferguson

Re: NFL Thread

Post by the bone »

well I mocked Clelin Ferrell to the Seahawks at 21... so maybe they take Sweat? Also the texans are absolutely cheering... they're going to end up with a good tackle
Last edited by the bone on April 26, 2019, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Packers have traded up for this pick?
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Confirmed... Packers trade up to 21 with the Seahawks
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

and the packers pick - Darnell Savage
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Eagles trade up with the Ravens - they must be going after Josh Jacobs
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Eagles pick Dillard. Good trade up, texans would've taken him
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

the bone wrote: April 26, 2019, 12:40 pm Eagles trade up with the Ravens - they must be going after Josh Jacobs
Dillard! They obviously didn't expect him to still be on the board and made the move. He's a classic LT prospect.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

the bone wrote: April 26, 2019, 12:44 pm Eagles pick Dillard. Good trade up, texans would've taken him
Texans will take Taylor for sure.

Edit: Montez Sweat still an option too.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Wow, Tytus Howard. Didn't see that coming.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Northern Raider wrote: April 26, 2019, 12:49 pm Wow, Tytus Howard. Didn't see that coming.
No, neither did I. I didn't have him in my two round mock
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Some form of redemption for Raiders after a massive reach on their 1st pick. Josh Jacobs the best RB by a long way in this draft and getting him mid 20s is about right.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Yeah Jacobs was a good pick. Past 11pm here... I'm getting tired... not sure I'll make it till the end
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

the bone wrote: April 26, 2019, 1:10 pm Yeah Jacobs was a good pick. Past 11pm here... I'm getting tired... not sure I'll make it till the end
Harden up. Nearly there. :)
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Skins take Sweat. Means they have 2 guys at 15 and 26 who many thought would go top 10. Thats an A Grade for day 1.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Washington trades up with colts and selects Sweat.

Redskins get Haskins and Sweat - nice evening for them
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Northern Raider wrote: April 26, 2019, 1:13 pm
the bone wrote: April 26, 2019, 1:10 pm Yeah Jacobs was a good pick. Past 11pm here... I'm getting tired... not sure I'll make it till the end
These 10 minute gaps are killing me :lol:
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: April 26, 2019, 1:14 pm Washington trades up with colts and selects Sweat.

Redskins get Haskins and Sweat - nice evening for them
Im surprised Sweat went that low. I would have thought mid round for sure
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Raiders final 1st round pick is Johnathon Abram - I really like that pick... he's a baller, and can trash talk too lol
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

the bone wrote: April 26, 2019, 1:17 pm
Northern Raider wrote: April 26, 2019, 1:13 pm
These 10 minute gaps are killing me :lol:
Remember when it was 15 mins? :cry:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Jawaan Taylor falling into the Chargers lap here. Rivers would love some extra protection at the back end of his career.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

6th DT comes off the board... Jerry Tillery to the Chargers
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

the bone wrote: April 26, 2019, 1:27 pm 6th DT comes off the board... Jerry Tillery to the Chargers
Such a strong draft for DTs. You get a guy with his potential going late 20s.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Seahawks with the next two picks... surely they'll be the first to pick a CB
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Literally half the 1st round so far is front 7 defensive players.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

the bone wrote: April 26, 2019, 1:30 pm Seahawks with the next two picks... surely they'll be the first to pick a CB
We got one at 30 traded to Giants.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Falcons trade back into the 1st round with Rams. Take Kaleb McGary. That gives them 2 x 1st round picks on O-linemen.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

the bone wrote: April 26, 2019, 12:31 pm Hmm Broncos pick Noah Fant. I'm guessing Lock is glad he didn't accept the green room invite...
oh damn, Lock is in the green room! Long night for him...
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

with the last pick of the first round, pats get K'Neal Harry. I mocked him to the cardinals one pick later at #33
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

and with that I'm off to bed. Good draft chat NR!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

That wraps up the 1st round. A few surprise but not too many. Dew Lock and Jawaan Taylor the most notable absentees from day selections. Might see quite a bit of wheeling and dealing early tomorrow.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Looking forward to hearing Piggys annual analysis of Day 1.
Top third looks about right to me. Then is got interesting...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: April 26, 2019, 2:10 pm Looking forward to hearing Piggys annual analysis of Day 1.
Top third looks about right to me. Then is got interesting...
Reckon he'll be happy getting Dillard. Anything to helps protect Wentz is a good thing. Whether he's happy about them trading up to do so is another thing.

Confident he will be happy about the Giants blowing their picks on players they could have gotten later. Both a are good players and likely to be good contributors but realistically they could have gotten both and maybe a few more 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounders to go with it if they traded down. To cap it all off they even traded back into the 1st round to reach for a CB they could have gotten if they sat where they were.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

11. Cincinnati Bengals - Andre Dillard, OT
I dont think they're in the QB market, at least that what i seems like based on reporting, which is a damn shame since i laid some cash on Haskins landing with the Bengals a few days ago. But they'll build the lines up and take IMO a really good pass protecting OT. Dillard would be a good pick for them. He's my #1 rated tackle.

——
Suffice to say I’m very happy with the eagles pick. I’d say their grade mirrored mine in terms of him being their top rated LT

I’ll have more tonight but that was one of the chalky-ish first rounds but super interesting in a while
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Draft Grades

1. Cardinals - Kyler Murray
I think the player is good and the fit is great and it's all going to be fine. But man i just think there was a better way. I still believe in Rosen. But what's done is done and if you're going to all in with Kliff Kingsbury, then you give him the best ingredients for him to cook with. Has to be in the B range for a grade because you just dont know what they're getting for Rosen yet, if it's a 3rd or 4th, it stays a B.
Grade: B+

2. Niners - Nick Bosa
Haven't got a lot to say, this was as expected, it's a need and is perfect value. He'll pair up with Dee Ford and solve some pass rush problems. Perfect pick.
Grade: A+

3. Jets - Quinnen Williams
This got a little weird because i think Allen fits them better but it's hard to **** on a pick where you may have gotten the best player in the draft at #3. They need help all over the D, now have Darnold and Bell on offence with an improved line and Quinnen and Leonard Williams, CJ Mosley and Jamaal Adams on D, play makers at every level.
Grade: A-

4. Raiders - Clelin Ferrell
I dont mind Ferrell as a prospect, he's a top 20 sort of dude and pretty safe but he's not a top 4 guy. I mean Allen is still on the damn board here. If you want a pass rush, go and get him! Or Ed Oliver. I dunno, Ferrell is fine but it's hard to imagine this sort of pick was worth losing Mack for.
Grade: D-

5. Bucs - Devin White
A bit like the Bosa pick, this was telegraphed months ago, not a lot more to say. Great player who fits them well. Only concern is whether an off the ball LB is worth a top 5 pick. He's gotta be Luke Keuchley/Bobby Wags to justify it.

6. Giants - Daniel Jones
They **** did it! God bless em, they did it!! Firstly let me say, if you were going to go QB, you have to take him at 6. If you believe in him you cant **** around and try get him at 17, that's lunacy... but who the **** really thinks Daniel Jones is the answer? I certainly don't. Long may Gettleman reign. Absolute disaster.
Grade: F

7. Jags - Josh Allen
Not a need and i think they probably wanted a OT like Williams or Dillard but when Josh Allen falls into your lap here at 7, i cant knock you for running the card up. They're going to try and get back to absolutely terrorising QB's and he replaces Dante Fowler who was traded away last year, similar sort of player imo too.

8. Lions - TJ Hockenson
Yeah i like this a lot too, after losing Tate, the Lions need a middle of the field general. He'll also help with their run first mentality. The org is run by former Pats guys and have seen first hand the value of someone like Gronk, Hockenson is a do it all TE like Gronk so it makes sense.
Grade: B+

9. Bills - Ed Oliver
Love this, love it. They wanted to move up as far as #3 to get him, couldnt make it work and he falls right to them at #9 without losing any compensation. Great stuff. Fills a need and has more upside than any NFL DL in this draft imo.

10. Steelers Devin Bush
I was pretty certain the steelers would make a move to come up and get him if he got near the teens, i thought it would be Miami but they go in front of the Bengals who might have taken him. Love the player, love that they moved up. Compensation is a little heavy for an off the ball LB though.
Grade: B

11. Bengals - Jonah Williams
Yeah this is just alright for me. He's a good player who can do a lot at different positions but it's just hard to get excited for the Bengals taking OLmen, they always do it, sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesnt, but it's still Dalton at QB and this franchise is a bit stale imo.
Grade: C+

12. Packers - Reshan Gary
Not big on this one at all. I posted some thoughts prior to the draft about him and i stand by it. He's a rare athlete and maybe now he's getting paid he'll translate that to some production. But I think there is a bunch of DL better than him.
Grade: D-

13. Dolphins - Christian Wilkins
I think they wanted to trade down like a lot of teams but as i feared, the compensation to trade up was just too much. They couldnt get buyers. So they stand pat and take Wilkins who i think is a really good and safe player. I didnt have him in my first round just because i dont see the upside that others have but he'll be really good for a long time.

14. Falcons - Chris Lindstrom
Didn't see a lot of holes on this roster but beefing up the OL is definitely a good idea, it's a bit old and struggled at times last year. Lindstrom is another one of those safe players who you probably pencil in for the next 5 years as an above average starter at the floor. Thought they'd go for some high upside guy like Sweat here.
Grade: B-

15. Redskins - Dwayne Haskins
Another team that was rumoured to be trying very much to get up to get Haskins, but they stay put and get their man anyways. Im not super high on Haskins, he's a statue back there, limited second reaction plays but he's a decent accurate passer. Fits well with Gruden's system. Can't hate this.
Grade: A

16. Panthers - Brian Burns
REALLY like this pick. I feel like where ever Burns fell i was going to love it and say it was a steal but i mocked him lower than this. This is just a great pick, i think Burns is going to be an excellent 3 down DE for the Panthers who needed a jolt in the pass rush.

17. Giants - Dexter Lawrence
This i dont mind. I think he's a really good player who will anchor the middle of the line, he's going to immediately step in and help stop the run and provide some interior rush. The value here is a bit early, and i think there are guys come up that i'd take ahead of him, so it's not a home run but it's getting you on base.

18. Vikings - Garrett Bradbury
Yeah another one of these OL who is really solid, feels pretty safe, fits a need and is probably around the right value. This is a move to solidify things for Cousins and Cook. But it's just hard to get excited for Guards, haha.
Grade: C+

19. Titans - Jeffery Simmons
Love the player, think he's the 3rd best player in the draft... i had not seen the video before today. I saw it and immediately i was like "yeah, na i can probably do without that in my eagles life... the player is tremendous, the character is clearly sketchy but also why are the Titans taking a player who probably doesnt contribute this year? They're not good enough for that. And for that reason i cant agree with the pick.
Grade: D

20. Broncos - Noah Fant
They got good value to trade back and i think they got a really good player at 20. They appear to be ready and willing to go into the 2019 season with Flacco and if that's what you're going to do, yeah, go and get him a stud TE who is incredible in space.

21. Packers - Darnell Savage
I dont mind the player but i dont think he's a round 1 pick, he's an early day 2 guy and probably my 3rd best S. So they got poor value and traded up to get him IMO. That's not a ideal position to be in. Combine it with Gary and i think this a pretty bad packers draft.
Grade: D

22. Eagles - Andre Dillard
Honestly, i thought it was going to be Jacobs and getting in front of the texans to do it, but i was really happy with this. Dillard gave up 13 pressures in about 740 pass pro sets in college. He just dominated in pass pro. He needs work as a run blocker but he's a superb pass protecting LT prospect. He was my #1 tackle in the draft and was top 10 on my big board. Doesn't fill an immediate need, which holds it back the grade a little.

23. Texans - Tytus Howard
And now it explains why Philly moved up for the OT. They must have known the Texans were going OT. Apparently they'd have taken Dillard if he was here. Howard was a late riser but i dont think he's a first round talent. Taylor apparently has a knee issue which is concerning for teams but this was a reach. Trade back if you love the guy that much. Still they needed OL and got it
Grade: C-

24. Raiders - Josh Jacobs
Once he fell to them here, you knew he was the pick. Gruden loved him and that was all over the internet. ESPN basically called the pick by showing all the times Gruden chirped at Mel Kiper for being so down on RBs. He's a good player, he fills a need and this is the right range for him. But there is a first round RB for a bad team vibe about it. Does he move the needle? I dont know.

25. Ravens - Marquise Brown
I had Hollywood going much earlier in my mock. I think he's a great WR for today's NFL and fits what the Ravens want to do with Lamar perfect. Plenty jet sweeps, and motion, and then sending him deep on the back of heavy play action. Lovely marriage of offence and player, and the value was great.

26. Redskins - Montez Sweat
God dammit, i kind of like what this **** soulless franchise did. Not moving and getting Haskins and now coming back in and getting a physical freak who fell due to medical concerns, but if they cleared him, they may have a top 6-7 talent here at 26. Very annoying.

27. Raiders - Jonathan Abrams
Eh, i mean i like Abrams more than Savage but it's still in the box safety who isnt great in coverage but he does get around the football. Overall i think if you reach for a limited upside DE, grab a RB and an in the box safety, you're probably not understanding where the 2019 NFL game is though i guess. None of the picks are brutally bad, they're all just... OK.
Grade: C

28. Chargers - Jerry Tillery
Step aside, there's a new Corey Liuget in town! Tillery is a solid player, could have been a good day 2 pick up, this is a bit early and i dont know if it fills a major need and i think there were better players who would help them more still on the board.

29. Seahawks - LJ Collier
So they lose Frank Clark and replace him with Collier which is not the worst idea i've heard but im not sure it's the best either. At this point in the draft the Edge defenders are starting to dry up but there was still a few good impact players id have considered, and Collier would have been 3-4 on the list. Not super pumped about this pick.

30. Giants - Deandre Baker
Gettleman gets back into the first and takes a CB, who the reports suggest flunked a bunch of interviews because he doesnt have a lot of football IQ. I like Baker's tape though and i dont know how much football IQ you need if you want your players to play a lot of press man which the Giants do. The more i think of this one, the more im ok with it.

31. Falcons - Kaleb McGary
Doubling down on the OL! I like that. But i think this should have been the chance to just take a punt on Taylor, who could have been a top 7 pick. Unless his knees are totally busted. Anyways i think the Falcons reloading their OL, which will give Ryan time to pass and punch holes for Freeman is a good thing. Build through the lines. A little surprised they've not taken an edge though.

32. Patriots - K'Neal Harry
This one is interesting. I like the player, he makes circus catches and is apparently a straight up dude off the park. He blew teams away in interviews. But he's not a dude who will separate, the best version of this sort of player is Nuk Hopkins/Alshon Jeffery, but a lot of these sort of dudes just end up being Cody Latimer or something like that. I dont mind it though, they need a true outside boundary receiver. We'll see if Brady can still make use of talent like that.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

What the **** does "chalky-ish first round" mean?