The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: Matt's Match-ups 2019

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote: April 16, 2019, 5:25 pm
The Rickman wrote: April 16, 2019, 4:11 pm
Keghead wrote: April 16, 2019, 3:47 pm
The Rickman wrote: April 15, 2019, 3:19 pm Personally, I'd like to see keghead's matchups, where he then abuses anyone who disagrees with him putting Wighton first every week
Ahh here go the Backstreet Boys again,it just makes my point more valid.

It's like some sort of feminist attack where you all chuckle and giggle with each other all dizzy headed with the small amount of power that 5 of you generate together.
Just out of curiosity, who are the five of us??

Pretty keen to hear who's in my newest clique! Looks like GE, TR and Woodgers are members of this one!
Pig, nick, tr, wood and dubby
That's a good bunch.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Rickman wrote: April 15, 2019, 3:19 pm Personally, I'd like to see keghead's matchups, where he then abuses anyone who disagrees with him putting Wighton first every week

It's like some sort of feminist attack where you all chuckle and giggle with each other all dizzy headed with the small amount of power that 5 of you generate together.

Pretty keen to hear who's in my newest clique! Looks like GE, TR and Woodgers are members of this one!
Which is which?

* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Massive BB fan...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

The Rickman wrote: April 16, 2019, 5:39 pm

That's a good bunch.
Its not
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 16, 2019, 5:50 pm

Which is which?

Im Nick Carter, and ill fight any **** to the **** death who says otherwise.
Rickman is Howie, Woody is AJ, TR is Kevin and Dubby is the other guy
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

:cry:
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

If I'm left out of another clique I swear to god I'm going to the cowboys forum, whatever its called (cowpeople.com?). I'm not sure I'm comfortable with this success business as it is, it won't take much to push me over.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

No friggin' WAY Im in a clique with those clowns

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: April 16, 2019, 8:11 pm No friggin' WAY Im in a clique with those clowns
Shut up, Kevin.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

T_R wrote:No friggin' WAY Im in a clique with those clowns
Wait, I'm in a boy band?

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: April 16, 2019, 9:22 pm
T_R wrote:No friggin' WAY Im in a clique with those clowns
Wait, I'm in a boy band?

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
You can pipe down too, Other guy.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Guys... apparently Daft Punk is playing at my house.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: April 16, 2019, 8:11 pm No friggin' WAY Im in a clique with those clowns
It's not the first time you've been accused of this either, pal.

It's about time you started having your own opinions and not just piling on the popular ones, methinks
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Matt’s Match-ups Rd 6: Raiders V Broncos

The pressure is on at Red Hill, the Bronco’s greats are turning on their team.
While in the Capitol, we hit them, and they see green. Ask Blake Ferguson. I'm hoping for plenty of green Easter Eggs this Sunday...

Broncos V Raiders

Darius Boyd © 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
Corey Oates 2. Nick Cotric
Kotoni Staggs 3. Jarrod Croker ©
Jack Bird 4. Joseph Leilua
Jamayne Isaako 5. Jordan Rapana
Anthony Milford 6. Jack Wighton
Kodi Nikorima 7. Sam Williams
Payne Haas 8. Josh Papalii
Andrew McCullough 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Joe Ofahengaue 10. Dunamis Lui
Alex Glenn 11. John Bateman
Matt Gillett 12. Elliott Whitehead
David Fifita 13. Ryan Sutton

Interchange
Gehamat Shibasaki 14. Siliva Havili
Jaydn Su’A 15. Hudson Young
Thomas Flegler 16. Sia Soliola
Patrick Carrigan 17. JJ Collins

Extended Bench
Shaun Fensom 18. Aidan Sezer
Patrick Mago 19. Corey Horsbough
James Roberts 20. Jack Murchie
Richard Kennar 21. Bailey Simonsson

(Bolded players are the winners of the skin. The extended bench is excluded.)

Match-ups:

Fullbacks:
How good is Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad? This guy is fearless and faultless. We have found a tough young Kiwi, and diamond in the rough. Darius Boyd has been a shadow of himself in 2019. He has looked lazy and disinterested at times. Easy skin, so sorry Rickman, I know I promised Darius for you.

Wingers:
Corey Oates can certainly provide a clanger, equal top of the errors leading into Round 6, however in 2019 he is equal second on the try scorers list and averaging a tick under 160m a game. Nick Cotric is starting to look like the boom rookie of a couple of years ago, but there is still a little room for improvement.

The 2018 Dally M Rookie of the Year, Jamayne Issako, is certainly having second year syndrome. To be honest, it’s just a reflection on his team as a whole. Jordan Rapana looks very close to hitting full flight. His involvement was very high against the Eels, he made a couple of key plays to get out of the in goal, and that metre eater is back.

Centres:
Jarrod Croker is on fire in 2019. Like the rest of the Raiders, it’s stemming from strong defence. However, he picked Paulo’s pocket on Sunday night and nearly raced the 90m to score. Kotoni Staggs’ trial form was exceptional and was probably unlucky not to get a start in Round 1. In his first game deputising for the injured James Roberts he was very good, however, last week he was a non-factor. Staggs has great potential, but still has plenty to learn.

Joseph Leiliua is in great form. Like Rapana his involvement was high against the Eels, his strength in the tackle evident, and he is still one of the best support runners in the game. Jack Bird was on fire early in 2019, but in consecutive weeks he has bombed tries, dropping the ball over the line. His trademark cross field searching run is the thing to watch for. I believe his preference to run in field, will assist the Raiders’ defensive structure.

Halves:
Jack Wighton continues to improve at five-eighth. His bomb is proving a bit of a weapon, but his defence is better, and stinging; I’m sure Blake Ferguson can attest. I think his running game is starting to build too. He does need to find a way to cut the bad error in his game though, as there are still two or three a game at the moment, and a reason why he is equal top in errors with Oates. I feel a little sorry, just a really little bit, for Anthony Milford, as his confidence and stats would look far better if Jack Bird could ground the ball. A lot has been said about his pay cheque to performance ratio in recent weeks, and it’s justified. It’s strange to see the ‘game management’ issues not being in a sentence about the Raiders’ halves.

Sam ‘field goal’ Williams has been backed by Ricky Stuart to again hold his spot. Ricky said in the press conference after the Eels game that the halves’ role was for Wighton and Williams to lose, and that Aidan Sezer would have to bide his time. It’s also worth noting that Williams is holding his own in the defensive line in 2019. Kodi Nikorima, like his halves partner, is under enormous pressure to hold his spot. I read a tweet the other day that said coach Siebold is giving his halves until Round 8 to prove themselves, with Nikorima likely to become the utility should the Broncos performances not improve.

Prop:
I’ve been getting some stick about underrating Josh Papalii, or perhaps overrating his opponents in recent weeks, however, Papalii was fantastic against the Eels. He laid the platform through the middle and was rewarded with a try. Matthew Lodge is out with a throat injury, so Payne Haas has moved from lock to prop this week. Payne Haas had a massive first game back from suspension, he was arguably the best player on the ground in a losing side last week, but you can’t win a skin with one week of form.

Dunamus Lui continues to play his role. He runs hard, makes his tackles, and doesn’t make mistakes. Joe Ofahengaue has had to take on a larger and more senior role this season with the retirement of Sam Thaiday and the loses of Korbin Sims to the Dragons and Josh McGuire to the Cowboys. He is doing his bit, matching Josh Papalii’s output, averaging 125m and 26 tackles a game.

Sia Soliola’s impact off the bench has been fantastic. Sia only knows one way, that to run hard and straight, and provide some extra starch in defence. Thomas Flegler is doing a reasonable job in his rookie year but has looked a little out of his depth in my opinion.

JJ Collins, formerly known as JJ Felise, gets a Raiders debut this week. He faces a Round 5 debutant in Patrick Carrigan. I will go strictly by my rules this week, after fan outrage, and give the one gamer the skin.

Hooker/utility:
Andrew McCullough might be the incumbent Queensland Origin hooker, but right now something doesn’t quite seem to be right. The team is not gelling, and his game isn’t to create. Josh Hodgson overplayed his hand against the Eels, but his leadership and control has gone a long way to the Raiders being 4-1.

I said it last week, but Siliva Havili has been doing a job for the Raiders as a middle forward. His speed and impact on the game against the Eels was massive. Had he not picked up a knee injury, I think the Raiders roll through the Eels a little earlier. Gehamat Shibasaki has been named to play his third game of NRL, but his first for this year. It’s worth noting he was also named for Norths this week, so there’s a good chance James Roberts plays, and Staggs becomes the utility.

Backrow:
John Bateman had a quite game by his standards, and still pumped out 121m with seven tackle busts and 27 tackles. Another backrow opponent I feel sorry for, Alex Glenn, has probably been the Broncos’ best in 2019. The experienced backrower has been strong defensively and has sniffed out a try.

Elliott Whitehead had his best game a fortnight ago, but against the Eels he was just as fierce defensively. He was better running the ball this week and sniffed out a sneaky try. I think he was a little unlucky not to feature on people’s best on grounds last weekend. Matt Gillett also got on the score sheet last week, however, he left the field for an HIA and didn’t return. Like his backrow partner, he has been defensively strong. However, he has basically been a tackle bot in 2019, which is a poor use of his abilities, even if it’s probably what the team needs.

Ryan Sutton has been a bit of an unsung hero in the last few weeks. His go forward has been especially important. He has raked up nearly 300m and over 100tackles in three weeks. This sort of output is fantastic. David Fifita is being criminally under used by Siebold. This guy could be Angus Crichton 2017 if he would just play him for 80 minutes on the edge. He has shown in short stints that he has exceptional ability. With a small personnel reshuffle, he could fit Alex Glenn, Matthew Gillett and Fifita in the starting backrow.

Hudson Young had to play a few more minutes against the Eels with Joseph Tapine getting injured. I think he has potential, but as yet I haven’t seen anything to say he has a long career ahead of him. I haven’t been hugely impressed with Jaydn Su’a this year. I don’t think he has really stepped up since debuting in, would you believe, 2016? That said, given he is getting better minutes, and therefore more game involvement, it’s no surprise his production is better, and you have to give him the skin.

Result
The tally is Broncos 4 and Raiders 13. I don’t think I can remember ever seeing a skin ratio like this versus the Broncos, nor do I remember a time where the Broncos were on the receiving side of alternate results; Raiders 4-1 vs 1-4. Despite all the rocket talk aimed at the Broncos, I’m feeling confident in the Raiders newly discovered ‘shield wall’. I don’t see this as a blow out, with the Raiders attack not yet clicking though.

Result: Raiders to continue their winning ways at home (by 6-12).

Plus follow The Greenhouse on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Corey Oates over Nick Cotric?? I stopped reading then. I'm sure the matchups got better after that point, but I just don't want to know.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: April 17, 2019, 11:46 am Corey Oates over Nick Cotric?? I stopped reading then. I'm sure the matchups got better after that point, but I just don't want to know.
OK, I'm defending Matt here......

.....now I've come to terms with that statement I'll continue. Cotric has been decent this year but below the standard we've come to expect from him. He's not really having much impact on games so far. Of course that may be a result of team strategy as much as anything. Oates is well ahead of him on a lot of key stats for outside backs such as tries, line breaks, takcle breaks, running metres etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have Cotric in my side than Oates but season to date Oates has to be given the nod in this skin.

P.S. please don't tell Matt I defended him. ;)
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Nice work Matt. Fifita isn't being used as an 80min player as he doesn't have 1st grade fitness yet. They should still be trying to get more out of him though.
Seibold's bench use is generally pretty poor.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: April 17, 2019, 12:32 pm
The Rickman wrote: April 17, 2019, 11:46 am Corey Oates over Nick Cotric?? I stopped reading then. I'm sure the matchups got better after that point, but I just don't want to know.

.....now I've come to terms with that statement I'll continue. Cotric has been decent this year but below the standard we've come to expect from him. He's not really having much impact on games so far. Of course that may be a result of team strategy as much as anything. Oates is well ahead of him on a lot of key stats for outside backs such as tries, line breaks, takcle breaks, running metres etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have Cotric in my side than Oates but season to date Oates has to be given the nod in this skin.

Dont worry Ill keep your secret :lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: April 17, 2019, 3:00 pm
Northern Raider wrote: April 17, 2019, 12:32 pm

Dont worry Ill keep your secret :lol:
Right, who blabbed. :x
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: April 17, 2019, 1:35 pm Nice work Matt. Fifita isn't being used as an 80min player as he doesn't have 1st grade fitness yet. They should still be trying to get more out of him though.
Seibold's bench use is generally pretty poor.
Perhaps. But he wont get better riding the pine either. Seibold has 2 game changing forwards at his disposal, 1 is currently injured/ suspended, and the other has been riding the pine. At worst, Difi should have been coming on as the 1st change and pushing Gillett or Glenn to the middle and playing 60mins on an edge. He is an edge player not a middle.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

You'll get no arguments from me about his poor bench use.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

3 weeks in a row not giving Cotric the skin :?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

That could so easily have been 15-2 Matt but I know you have no get e n bias ;)
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Lucky wrote: April 17, 2019, 7:28 pm 3 weeks in a row not giving Cotric the skin :?
Cotric has been ok this year, but not as many moments of magic as the last couple of seasons. He's made some solid yards and the odd breakout moment in most games (an offload for a try or a break). But Oates has been tearing it up pretty much- having a Rapana at his best type year so far. I think the skins have been fair enough.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BadnMean wrote: April 18, 2019, 1:47 pm
Lucky wrote: April 17, 2019, 7:28 pm 3 weeks in a row not giving Cotric the skin :?
Cotric has been ok this year, but not as many moments of magic as the last couple of seasons. He's made some solid yards and the odd breakout moment in most games (an offload for a try or a break). But Oates has been tearing it up pretty much- having a Rapana at his best type year so far. I think the skins have been fair enough.
Yeah, Cotric hasn't been bad. Just hasn't done anything outstanding. Especially compared to what we know he's capable of.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Our outside backs haven’t seen as much good ball as in previous years. Our possession approach has seen to that. I can cop it if we’re winning

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dusty wrote: April 18, 2019, 3:01 pm Our outside backs haven’t seen as much good ball as in previous years. Our possession approach has seen to that. I can cop it if we’re winning
True. Current strategy is limiting the opportunities for Cotric. Not as much affect on Rapana but good luck finding a game plan that keeps him out of the action. :lol:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Matt’s Match-ups Rd 7: Raiders V Sea Eagles

Both teams have been a surprise in 2019. Both teams have players playing next level football, Bateman, Nicoll-Klokstad and Cherry-Evans. Both teams are in the top eight. The Raiders looked tired, but fought their way to victory. The Sea Eagles looked good and might have had their chances stolen from them in contentious circumstances. This week will be a good test for both teams.

Sea Eagles V Raiders

Brendan Elliot 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
Jorge Taufua 2. Nick Cotric
Moses Suli 3. Jarrod Croker ©
Brad Parker 4. Joseph Leilua
Reuben Garrick 5. Jordan Rapana
Kane Elgey 6. Jack Wighton
Daly Cherry-Evans ©7. Sam Williams
Toafofoa Sipley 8. Josh Papalii
Api Koroisau 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Martin Taupau 10. Dunamis Lui
Joel Thompson 11. John Bateman
Curtis Sironen 12. Elliott Whitehead
Jake Trbojevic 13. Ryan Sutton

Interchange
Manase Fainu 14. Siliva Havili
#Morgan Boyle 17. vs 15. Emre Guler
Corey Waddell 16. Sia Soliola
#Jack Gosiewski 15. vs 17. Jack Murchie

Extended Bench
Kelepi Tanginoa 18. Aidan Sezer
Sam Smith 19. Bailey Simonsson
Lachlan Croker 20. JJ Collins
Taniela Paeska 21. Hudson Young

#- Skins altered to pair like skins.
(Bolded players are the winners of the skin. The extended bench is excluded.)

Match-ups:

Fullbacks:
How good is Charnze Nicholl-Klokstad? He could win this skin on one leg. Brendan Elliot is at NRL club number four, Manly via Titans, Knights and Roosters. He is an average footballer, filling in for Tom Trbojevic who is an Origin representative, and out long term.

Wingers:
Nick Cotric has had a slow start to the year, but with the help of his skipper, he got off to a great start against the Broncos scoring in the corner after just six minutes. Cotric is now averaging 111m and nearly four tackle breaks a game, has two tries and an assist. Jorge Taufua has some very similar numbers, averaging 118m with nearly two tackle breaks a game, has three tries and an assist. Cotric scored last week, Taufua the week before. It’s too close to call in my opinion, so a draw it is.

Jordan Rapana has looked fantastic in 2019, bar his return game against the Storm. I truly feel that he isn’t far from breaking a game wide open. He is averaging 151m and 3.6 tackle breaks a game, has 2 tries and an assist. Reuben Garrick looks like a perfect Brian Kelly replacement. He is lightning quick, defensively questionable, but a competitor. He is averaging 101m, nearly three tackle breaks, has two tries and an assist. It’s a closer skin than most will believe, but its Rapana’s to lose.

Centres:
Jarrod Croker is on fire so far this season. He setup Cotric’s try. He and Cotric got the field position for Joseph Leilua’s first try and he dived on a critical loose ball late in the game. He has three tries and two assists in six games. The one thing he needs to do is more goal kicking practice. The radar isn’t on in 2019. Moses Suli has the talent, but does he have the will? Too many off field issues, a Jamal Idris type feel. He could be a beast, but is he committed enough? Having said that, he still averages 111m, two tackle breaks and 8.5 tackles a game.

Joseph Leiliua is playing better than he did in 2016. He produces fewer errors, but is just as deadly with ball in hand. How good was it to watch him swat away would be Broncos defenders before steam rolling Darius Boyd to score?!? Then to double up only seconds later. If there is one person who might be able to catch him in his web, it is Peter Parker… oh his name is Brad, and he scored a try last week. It's ok, sorry, as you were.

Halves:
Jack Wighton, was one of the Raiders' best against the Broncos. His 40/20 was the final turn of the game. He looks dangerous every time he touches the ball. Only one bad error on the weekend too, and that was more over exuberance, trying to run through the goal post rather than just the defence. Kane Elgey looks a better defender at Manly than at Titans, but with Daly Cherry-Evans calling all the shots and having a ball on a string, he isn’t doing much.

Did everyone else see Sam Williams lay Darius Boyd out on the weekend?! Anyway, he is up against Daly Cherry-Evans this week, who is head and shoulders above the next half in the NRL at the moment.

Prop:
Josh Papalii can turn an awful set into an acceptable one with one carry. His work rate is also fantastic at the moment. He averages 127m, nearly two tackle breaks and 27 tackles a game. Better yet, he is making them at a 98 per cent success rate, which is such an important factor in fixing our middle third defence. Manly love their props to be massive humans, and Toafofoa ‘block of flats’ Sipley is no different. He isn’t the same sort of athlete Martin Taupau is, nor the man he is replacing in Addin Fonua-Blake.

Dunamis Lui is doing a great job, and even I have been under rating him in recent weeks. However, Martin Taupau is one of the best props in the NRL. Taupau averages 157m, 2.5 tackle breaks, 27 tackles at a success rate of 97 per cent.

Sia Soliola is having a great season, and all the usual plaudits still apply. This week he faces a rookie who is earning every minute he gets. Corey Waddell has played five of the six games in 2019 and he is growing into the game each and every week. Last week he was phenomenal: 153m, three offloads, a line break assist, a try assist, a tackle break and he made 22 of 23 tackles. This isn’t close this week, but had this been in about a month’s time, maybe it’s a different story.

JJ Collins didn’t do anything wrong on debut, but he has been dropped in favour of Emre Guler. Guler has been a case of ‘the forgotten man’. I thought he looked good in the trials, but then he went straight back to Mounties to start 2019, after debuting last year. He faces off against Morgan Boyle, who debuted for Manly last week. His debut netted him 55m from five carries and 20 of 20 tackles. Rookie rule applies.

Hooker/utility:
Josh Hodgson is in great form and leading from the front. Api Koroisau is sharing time with Manase Fainu, and while he has been good, sharing minutes makes it harder.

I said it last week, but Siliva Havili has been doing a job for the Raiders as a middle forward. His speed and impact on the game against the Eels was massive. Manase Fainu has been a try scoring fiend in 2019 with three in five games. This kid will run, and when he does, he is as electric as Damien Cook. He doesn't have the same sort of top end speed as Cook, but is just as quick off the mark. You can’t give him quick play the balls. I think he could well push for a starting gig by season's end.

Backrow:
John Bateman is the King in the North - make that the South - finally getting his first Raiders try. Joel Thompson is a great ambassador of the game, and a very handy player, but this is a no contest.

Elliott Whitehead has really starting to hit a patch of form. Curtis Sironen is lucky to share the field with the other five starting back rowers in this contest. Kudos for returning from so many injuries, but it’s taken a massive toll on his skill development.

Ryan Sutton also bagged his first meat pie on the weekend, and in very English fashion, via a header. He is providing real punch through the middle. Jake Trbojevic continues to be one of the best lock forwards in the world. He is Mr Consistency, and plays 80 minutes in the middle. I think he plays better with his brother present, but he still holds this skin comfortably.

Hudson Young continues to show promise, but still hasn’t been getting enough minutes. Reflecting Ricky Stuart’s apparent rookie rotation, he has been dropped in favour of Jack Murchie. I suspect, as with Corey Horsbough's dropping, it’s to get some minutes under his belt at Mounties. Jack Gosiewski has been playing, so again the rookie rule applies.

Result
The tally is Sea Eagles 6 and Raiders 10 plus a draw. The Raiders are the surprise packet of the competition, especially defensively. Manly have also been a surprise this season, but the way Cherry-Evans is playing it is hard to doubt them. Manly at Brookvale are a very tough team to beat and I think the Raiders looked a little tired in the second half against the Broncos. I believe that’s why Stuart has made the double change on the bench.

Result: Sea Eagles at home in an arm wrestle (by 2-8).

Plus follow The Greenhouse on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Hmmm we win the skins but Manly tipped...

Tapau and DCE are out and out superstars who can each rip a game open on their own and we looked a but tired + they are used to the Manly turf so I can understand why.

Barring a sudden loss of will in our pack though- and I can't see that happening with the critical mass of Poms + Sia in there- I just can't see how their back 6 can outplay ours. That leaves their #7 as the wildcard...
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Can't agree that Havili lost the skin Matt. Defensively he is far better than Fainu imo. I think we will see the Raiders tactic of inside passes/angled running looking to isolate both their hookers again this week. Although there was some 'controversy' at the end of the Sea Eagles last match against the Dragons, really it was the poor goal kicking of Dragon Tim Lafai which kept the Eagles in the match imo.

I think this 2019 Raiders side will turn up with their heads on wanting to win and not be distracted by outside noise such as the condition of the field. I have been impressed with the improvement in BJ so far this season. He is not having the crazy 'rush of blood' which caused errors and positional problems for him in past seasons. The other hot head Tapine is injured. That leaves Jack to get his errors/penalties under control and I think, given an even share of possession, we can come away with the two competition points.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

BadnMean wrote: April 23, 2019, 8:05 pm Hmmm we win the skins but Manly tipped...

Tapau and DCE are out and out superstars who can each rip a game open on their own and we looked a but tired + they are used to the Manly turf so I can understand why.

Barring a sudden loss of will in our pack though- and I can't see that happening with the critical mass of Poms + Sia in there- I just can't see how their back 6 can outplay ours. That leaves their #7 as the wildcard...
Not even matt rates his match ups
Dont delete this GE
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

All match-ups seem fair to me and I can understand the Manly to win call too.

It’ll be very interesting to see how our boys play this week. A win here would show we have some real mental toughness.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BadnMean wrote: April 23, 2019, 8:05 pm Hmmm we win the skins but Manly tipped...
It's because his individual match ups are on the money he had to chuck one curve ball in there. Be nothing to talk about otherwise.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

RedRaider wrote: April 24, 2019, 7:02 am Can't agree that Havili lost the skin Matt. Defensively he is far better than Fainu imo. I think we will see the Raiders tactic of inside passes/angled running looking to isolate both their hookers again this week. Although there was some 'controversy' at the end of the Sea Eagles last match against the Dragons, really it was the poor goal kicking of Dragon Tim Lafai which kept the Eagles in the match imo.

I think this 2019 Raiders side will turn up with their heads on wanting to win and not be distracted by outside noise such as the condition of the field. I have been impressed with the improvement in BJ so far this season. He is not having the crazy 'rush of blood' which caused errors and positional problems for him in past seasons. The other hot head Tapine is injured. That leaves Jack to get his errors/penalties under control and I think, given an even share of possession, we can come away with the two competition points.
Its tough, coz Fainu is actually playing hooker, while Havili has been playing prop/ lock. I stand by my comments though. Fainu is electric out of dummy half. He can sniff out a try, so if we give them quick play the balls he will burn us.

As far as Dragz vs Manly, you are correct. Lafai's awful kicking cost them a game. Thats why Lomax played yesterday.

On paper im not a fan of this Manly side, however, that has been the same of the past couple of years and yet our record against them is poor. As is our record at Brooky. Add in that DCE is absolutely owning games makes us a tough tip this week. That said, Raiders 2019 have proved a different beast and history is meant to be broken, so who knows?!?
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Matt wrote: April 26, 2019, 8:54 amAs far as Dragz vs Manly, you are correct. Lafai's awful kicking cost them a game.
Cost them... by winning the game? :hmmm
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.