No votes

Total votes: 12

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Re: 2019 Rd 6 V Broncos: Game Day

Post by Neeeegz »

raiderskater wrote:I reckon if it's not Easter weekend we get 20k

Hard to do on a weekend half the city buggers off down the coast.
Doesn't anyone think of the bike tracks!!!! I'm outraged!!!! This is unacceptable!!!

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Enjoyed that performance a lot. Brisbane were desperate and you could tell from the opening minute they were going to throw everything at us. We controlled them for most of the match anyway!

The glaring thing that needs gradual improvement through the season is structure inside the attacking half. We won’t always have BJ/Raps bailing us out with some improvised magic, especially in high pressure games at the back end of the year.

I always find it telling that we never manage to create overlaps for our outside men. Other sides put their wingers (sometimes centres!) over untouched in space. We seem to sneak down the tiniest of corridors with Raps and Cotric. It’s an obvious sign that there hasn’t been enough decent ball play inside them to create defensive decisions and therefore an overlap...
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Rickmando wrote: April 21, 2019, 10:33 pm Enjoyed that performance a lot. Brisbane were desperate and you could tell from the opening minute they were going to throw everything at us. We controlled them for most of the match anyway!

The glaring thing that needs gradual improvement through the season is structure inside the attacking half. We won’t always have BJ/Raps bailing us out with some improvised magic, especially in high pressure games at the back end of the year.

I always find it telling that we never manage to create overlaps for our outside men. Other sides put their wingers (sometimes centres!) over untouched in space. We seem to sneak down the tiniest of corridors with Raps and Cotric. It’s an obvious sign that there hasn’t been enough decent ball play inside them to create defensive decisions and therefore an overlap...
I think Hodgo is overplaying his hand a bit. I’d like to see him give more early ball to the halves and pick his times to have a crack.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I raised it before. But I’ll keep the superstition up by mentioning it.

Dunamis Lui again with zero errors for the game and the entire season so far, and just 1 more missed tackle to add to his very safe season.

Havilli also very good off the bench.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I've never thought Aidan Sezer is the better kicker.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

BJ wrote: April 21, 2019, 10:45 pm I raised it before. But I’ll keep the superstition up by mentioning it.

Dunamis Lui again with zero errors for the game and the entire season so far, and just 1 more missed tackle to add to his very safe season.

Havilli also very good off the bench.
Great shout. Premiership sides are littered with these kinds of guys. No one remembers them, but in the salary cap era you can’t have a high performing side without a few of them. Rick knows what he’s going to get from them every week - I’m sure they’re some of the first names on the team sheet
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

greeneyed wrote: April 21, 2019, 10:48 pm I've never thought Aidan Sezer is the better kicker.
There’s not a lot in it... but he’s got a stronger leg for sure. He hits long high bombs, Croker has a slight tendency under pressure to miss to his right, or block it a bit left
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

JC's try set up of Cotric was just sensational. Sure he has hit the uprights with his goal kicking, but it's not like he is kicking them below the cross bar. I would ask him to open up the vocal chords to get his side back into defensive position and not only on one side of the field. The lack of defensive organisation gifted Fifita his try. He is a top notch goal kicker, as was Sam at the back end of last year. If the coach thought there was a problem I'm sure we would see the same decision made by Bellamy with Smith when he sent word out for Croft to take the kicks ahead of the record breaking Smith.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Pre season I was questioning whether Sia might have hung around a year too long but he is smashing it.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

I just wanted to come in and highlight Simple Jack's falcon try-assist again. I rewound that multiple times and my abs got a great workout.

He head-butted his own kick!!! And we scored off it! :roflmao
Billy Walker wrote: April 21, 2019, 10:56 pm Pre season I was questioning whether Sia might have hung around a year too long but he is smashing it.
Mate, people have been saying that about Sia for 3 years now.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Worst performance of the year but we got the two points and notched up our first win over the Broncos since 2013. Awesome.

On Croker; I think he is sitting at about 65% for this year. Something needs to change. Fingers crossed he can sort it out soon.

On another Croker note; how about that pass to Cotric for the try, if that was Latrell or Roberts would not stop seeing it all week.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

EJ wrote: April 21, 2019, 11:04 pm I just wanted to come in and highlight Simple Jack's falcon try-assist again. I rewound that multiple times and my abs got a great workout.

Billy Walker wrote: April 21, 2019, 10:56 pm Pre season I was questioning whether Sia might have hung around a year too long but he is smashing it.
If nikorima doesn't get that toe to it we score easily and are denied that comedy :lol:
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

zim wrote:
EJ wrote: April 21, 2019, 11:04 pm I just wanted to come in and highlight Simple Jack's falcon try-assist again. I rewound that multiple times and my abs got a great workout.

If nikorima doesn't get that toe to it we score easily and are denied that comedy Image
It's going to crack me up for at least the next 24 hours.

Also, I've just been reading LU and it occured to me - does Croker know he's BYC? Image

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

BYC?
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

zim wrote: April 21, 2019, 11:53 pmBYC?
omg, you've missed out on like 4 years worth of lols.

Our Captain Centre is the best young centre in the game.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Just watched a replay and our kicking in general play needed to be better. Playing a young, energetic side like the Broncos - after we got that 10 point lead in the second half we needed to slow the game down a little. We were gassed and one of the kickers needed to put the ball out of play each set in the last 15 minutes.
CNK continues to impress and great to see the two new soap dodgers get tries.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

EJ wrote: April 21, 2019, 11:55 pm

Hahaha. Ok that makes a lot more sense than backyard cricket.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Or the Boston Yacht Club. Who calls him the best young centre in the game?
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

greeneyed wrote: April 22, 2019, 12:00 am Or the Boston Yacht Club. Who calls him the best young centre in the game?
Who doesn't???
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Weird how people keep saying that was our worst performance of the year. Wasn't even close. We were far worse against Newcastle. To go down 16-14 in what wasn't exactly a 'must win' game then not drop our heads and win showed a lot of resilience and character.

They had more ball than us, were desperate and I thought played reasonably well. Sure we had a bit of luck but we've had none for 3 years so **** it we're due. The Wighton 40/20 won us the game, we weren't going anywhere until that, they were getting on top. Huge play J.Wighton.

We really should beat Manly without AFB and Turbo but they can still be dangerous. Will be a mental game for us. Turn up with the right attitude we win.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Hazza wrote: April 22, 2019, 4:57 am Weird how people keep saying that was our worst performance of the year. Wasn't even close. We were far worse against Newcastle. To go down 16-14 in what wasn't exactly a 'must win' game then not drop our heads and win showed a lot of resilience and character.

They had more ball than us, were desperate and I thought played reasonably well. Sure we had a bit of luck but we've had none for 3 years so **** it we're due. The Wighton 40/20 won us the game, we weren't going anywhere until that, they were getting on top. Huge play J.Wighton.

We really should beat Manly without AFB and Turbo but they can still be dangerous. Will be a mental game for us. Turn up with the right attitude we win.
I agree Hazza - I thought it was a great performance. Definitely room to improve but a lot to love about it.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

zim wrote: April 21, 2019, 11:59 pm

Isn't Croker like 28 ?

BYC.. :)
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I agree with those who say we are still developing as a side and are not yet at the level of last years Grand Finalists. I would have been surprised if we were. Those sides have been relatively stable, particularly in the spine, whereas we are continuing to blend players new to not only our club but the NRL. It is going to take some time. We are only 6 rounds into the 2019 competition. We have a lot of improvement left in us. When we played the Storm we were only beaten by 12 points off a 5 day turn around. Lots to like about the fact that, although not playing as well as last years Grand Finalists, we are level on competition points with them. Still a long way to go before we discover how well this side can play. One of the main positives for me is the personnel changes have all been an improvement on what we had last year. Credit to Sticky.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

RedRaider wrote: April 22, 2019, 6:14 am I agree with those who say we are still developing as a side and are not yet at the level of last years Grand Finalists. I would have been surprised if we were. Those sides have been relatively stable, particularly in the spine, whereas we are continuing to blend players new to not only our club but the NRL. It is going to take some time. We are only 6 rounds into the 2019 competition. We have a lot of improvement left in us. When we played the Storm we were only beaten by 12 points off a 5 day turn around. Lots to like about the fact that, although not playing as well as last years Grand Finalists, we are level on competition points with them. Still a long way to go before we discover how well this side can play. One of the main positives for me is the personnel changes have all been an improvement on what we had last year. Credit to Sticky.
As they say you dont win grandfinals in April. If we keep building and improving there is no reason why we wont be competitive against those 2. We have 5 wins banked already. Thats 5 wins we dont have to worry about. Id rather be us than a team like the Broncs who now need to chase points.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

How many games did Wighton play at 6 last time he was there? I think I remember it being around 6 games. It was funny when Blocker in commentary said that Wighton is only 6 games of experience playing at 5/8.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

kona_dream wrote: April 22, 2019, 7:05 am How many games did Wighton play at 6 last time he was there? I think I remember it being around 6 games. It was funny when Blocker in commentary said that Wighton is only 6 games of experience playing at 5/8.
9 rounds in 2014
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Siliva Havili

Post by RedRaider »

Siliva Havili...

I was impressed against the Broncos yesterday when we had just gone to an 8-4 lead and they kick off. The ball is bouncing towards our dead ball line and Havili is running within centimeters of the dead ball line when he gets to the ball off his forehead, then controls it and gets back into the field of play. I've not seen that before. He was determined that the ball was not going dead near him. Great commitment from him and I'm sure the other players in the side appreciate what he brings to the team.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

-PJ- wrote: April 22, 2019, 6:02 am

Isn't Croker like 28 ?

Can someone explain the Best Young Centre joke? I'd like to catch up on 4 years of missed lols, but fail to see the humour in it....
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

MrPosh wrote:I'd really like to see Williams and Wighton play first and second receiver, rather than left and right.

It plays to Williams' strengths as he can call more of the play and Wighton can attack the line wider out on both sides. It's bad enough for defences holding back thinking he might pass to Croker, but BJ running off him is frightening. It also gives Wighton a bit more space - his errors seem to come when he's hemmed in.

Also, it would allow Bateman to run back across the play rather than having to link to his centre - his lateral passing is the weakest part of his game.
I
I can see your angle, but I think Wighton just needs to play straighter. He is still running sweep plays like he was when he was full back and commencing this from first receiver is just crowding the back line.

If he straightens, it will suck the defense more in the middle and give the back line some space

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Good call Last Raider. I think Wighton needs to learn how to square his shoulders, slow his run and pass left or right.
BJ
Steve Walters

Re: 2018 in review - Siliva Havili

Post by BJ »

RedRaider wrote:Siliva Havili...

I was impressed against the Broncos yesterday when we had just gone to an 8-4 lead and they kick off. The ball is bouncing towards our dead ball line and Havili is running within centimeters of the dead ball line when he gets to the ball off his forehead, then controls it and gets back into the field of play. I've not seen that before. He was determined that the ball was not going dead near him. Great commitment from him and I'm sure the other players in the side appreciate what he brings to the team.
Yep big play from Havilli. He was very good off the bench yesterday.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Re: 2018 in review - Siliva Havili

Post by Ruben Daley »

RedRaider wrote: April 22, 2019, 7:25 amSiliva Havili...

Totally agree! That could have been a game-changing kick but he saved us. His run back was also very good despite the tricky start.

I love Havili. I reckon he’s a really big part of our bench success.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Wighton has a lot to learn that’s for sure. Love watching him hit in defence though.

The fact we are winning games without dominant halves is a credit to the dynamic of the team. Both backrowers playing 80 minutes and able to ball play, solid contributions each week from both starting props. Outside backs who can do the hard yards out of our own end. Croker is still so underrated in attack. There is just so much upside to our team this year. Hopefully they keep it up.

As Stuart said, he has to monitor the energy levels this week. Big game next week against an in-form Manly side at Brookie. They have looked good in the past month and will be our biggest test since the Melbourne game. This game will give us a real indication of where we are at.

Tough game next week
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Finchy wrote: April 22, 2019, 7:31 am
-PJ- wrote: April 22, 2019, 6:02 am

Isn't Croker like 28 ?

Can someone explain the Best Young Centre joke? I'd like to catch up on 4 years of missed lols, but fail to see the humour in it....
There isn’t a lot to it
Raiders fans, most notable Skeepe referred to him as that on another site many years ago
People crack some jokes but the moniker stuck and now it’s just a bit funny to call a 28 year old the BYC in the game
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Rick wrote: April 21, 2019, 11:15 pm

On another Croker note; how about that pass to Cotric for the try, if that was Latrell or Roberts would not stop seeing it all week.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Agreed, people would already be talking about "try of the year" or how Latrell or Roberts is on the way to becoming an immortal.

More satisfied now that I've had a good night's sleep. Last year we lose that game. Still room for improvement but we did it.

And I'll go with BJ, too: loving Dunamis Lui this year. Solid, dependable, good runs. Guy gets a bad rap on here but he has genuinely built himself into a starting forward.

Also I liked the new guy, Collins. He didn't get a lot of game time but I saw several good runs. Young continues to impress. Sutton is really being overlooked because everyone's so fixated on Bateman but he gets better and better each week.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)