All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Top 10 Canberra Raiders imports of all time

Post by greeneyed »

Top 10 Canberra Raiders imports of all time
Tim Gavel

The Raiders, through their history, have traditionally developed players through from juniors to seniors, but in recent years, there has obviously been a desire to sign players from the UK to put some starch into the forwards.

I rate Hodgson in my top two players who have established their senior careers elsewhere before joining the Raiders and made a significant impact during their time in Canberra. Mal Meninga naturally tops the list.

Read more: https://the-riotact.com/top-10-canberra ... ime/297023
julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: Top 10 Canberra Raiders imports of all time

Post by julian87 »

Schifcofske too low for mine.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Orford?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Hard for Schif to top guys who won all sorts of things and were one of the greatest RL teams ever assembled. He was excellent, but not a world beater. Then again the article is about his influence on the club and he was a shining light in a dark era.

I can't fault his top 5.

I never saw Grant or Giteau play (my RL memory goes back very vaguely to cheering with my Dad in '88 as a 9 year old and great memories of the '89 season as I was old enough to follow hardcore and clip bits out of newspapers and devour RL Week etc).

Surprised Noa didn't make the list- he was another in a line of incredible Raiders wingers.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

BadnMean wrote: April 17, 2019, 5:39 pm Hard for Schif to top guys who won all sorts of things and were one of the greatest RL teams ever assembled. He was excellent, but not a world beater. Then again the article is about his influence on the club and he was a shining light in a dark era.

I can't fault his top 5.

I never saw Grant or Giteau play (my RL memory goes back very vaguely to cheering with my Dad in '88 as a 9 year old and great memories of the '89 season as I was old enough to follow hardcore and clip bits out of newspapers and devour RL Week etc).

Surprised Noa didn't make the list- he was another in a line of incredible Raiders wingers.
Great call about Noa! I didn’t think of him.

I reckon Schif was huge by all measures. But he’ll never have the same legacy because of the period he played in. But this point is debated every time a list like this comes out.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Yeah Nadruku was Daly M winger for 93, deserves at least a mention, if not inclusion. Lomax, Pongia and Hoppe also there abouts.
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

Jason Smith - I’ll never forget vision of him on the sideline smashing a pie before returning to the field. That and master coach M Elliot getting him to switch from Winnie reds to blues.

Smith almost averaged the same try assists as run meters per game too. What a strange time.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Schif is top 3 and I would rate him ahead of Hodgson. If you include the year it was cancelled he was 2x Dally M fullback of the year and ran 2nd for overall Dally M during probably the most stacked era for fullbacks. He was also 2 xRaiders Player of the year and if the GH award went back that far he would be the all time leader.

He also left the NRL as the incumbent fullback in a series winning Maroons side and made the semis 4/6 seasons. The contemporary accounts of him talk about him being the best fullback in the comp and one of the best players during his very best years.

He is ridiculously underrated and the sides from that era are in general because they were recent to superstar teams and were so considered "crap", but if you look at their record it's not really worse than the current sides.
Last edited by edwahu on April 17, 2019, 7:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

A bit hard to narrow this down to a top 10 I reckon..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

KingDynamite wrote: April 17, 2019, 6:10 pm Jason Smith - I’ll never forget vision of him on the sideline smashing a pie before returning to the field. That and master coach M Elliot getting him to switch from Winnie reds to blues.

Smith almost averaged the same try assists as run meters per game too. What a strange time.
Switching from reds to blues probably prolonged Smiths life.

He's since gone onto bigger and better things...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

KingDynamite wrote: April 17, 2019, 6:10 pm Jason Smith - I’ll never forget vision of him on the sideline smashing a pie before returning to the field. That and master coach M Elliot getting him to switch from Winnie reds to blues.

He was just a good player. Saw the game.

You could see him just looking players into gaps they didn't know existed, but he'd seen them coming 5 seconds ago. Just willing blokes in there with his eyes. A touch of the Cliffy Lyons about him.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

edwahu wrote: April 17, 2019, 7:10 pm Schif is top 3 and I would rate him ahead of Hodgson. If you include the year it was cancelled he was 2x Dally M fullback of the year and ran 2nd for overall Dally M during probably the most stacked era for fullbacks. He was also 2 xRaiders Player of the year and if the GH award went back that far he would be the all time leader.

He also left the NRL as the incumbent fullback in a series winning Maroons side and made the semis 4/6 seasons. The contemporary accounts of him talk about him being the best fullback in the comp and one of the best players during his very best years.

He is ridiculously underrated and the sides from that era are in general because they were recent to superstar teams and were so considered "crap", but if you look at their record it's not really worse than the current sides.
Hmm I remember that as the Minicello era but I'm a Blues fan and you mount a very good case.

I can't consider him better than Boxhead Walters or Belcher though. Walters was the Cam Smith of his time and Belcher was the first modern fullback and an Oz rep and Qld mainstay for the better part of a decade.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

KingDynamite wrote:Jason Smith - I’ll never forget vision of him on the sideline smashing a pie before returning to the field. That and master coach M Elliot getting him to switch from Winnie reds to blues.

Ridiculous player, we couldn't win without him at one stage either

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

BadnMean wrote: April 17, 2019, 7:35 pm
edwahu wrote: April 17, 2019, 7:10 pm Schif is top 3 and I would rate him ahead of Hodgson. If you include the year it was cancelled he was 2x Dally M fullback of the year and ran 2nd for overall Dally M during probably the most stacked era for fullbacks. He was also 2 xRaiders Player of the year and if the GH award went back that far he would be the all time leader.

Hmm I remember that as the Minicello era but I'm a Blues fan and you mount a very good case.

I can't consider him better than Boxhead Walters or Belcher though. Walters was the Cam Smith of his time and Belcher was the first modern fullback and an Oz rep and Qld mainstay for the better part of a decade.

Yeah that's true, I wouldn't have him ahead of those two, I had forgotten about boxhead.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Excellent summary, Ed. I’ve tried to say the same thing a few times but without all the compelling supporting evidence. I might have to memorise this.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Hard to say whether Gavel is talking "best" or "most influential"... one might suggest that John Lomax and Quentin Pongia (together or apart) showed the entire league that kiwi forwards were there for the taking...
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Terry Fahey - showed what large fast outside backs could do. Pre-dated Mal but a template of modern wingers.

Scott Logan - confirmed that large players who consistently turn up have a positive impact on the side but the 'work ethic' is as important as size.

Paul Osborne - always remembered for his 'one moment in time'. Showed that every dog has his day - the Steve Bradbury of the Raiders.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Wouldn't have J Smith in the top 10.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

BadnMean wrote: April 17, 2019, 5:39 pm Hard for Schif to top guys who won all sorts of things and were one of the greatest RL teams ever assembled. He was excellent, but not a world beater. Then again the article is about his influence on the club and he was a shining light in a dark era.

I can't fault his top 5.

He says it's a list of players who had established careers elsewhere before they signed. Hence no Noa, Ruben, Quentin and Lomax type signings would be considered.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

So we're actually talking recruits, not just international imports. Bit of a misleading title.

As far as international imports go...
(Players from overseas who made their NRL debut with the Raiders.)

Hodgson
Wiki
Vainikolo
Bateman
Nadruku
Whitehead
Todd
Lomax
Pongia
Hoppe
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

dubby wrote: April 19, 2019, 6:45 am Wouldn't have J Smith in the top 10.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
100%. I rate him as a player but I can't help but think he was not the best influence to have around a club bringing through a young Todd Carney.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

If the criteria is the effect the signing had on the club I think sisa waqa deserves a mention. He signed with us when no one else would think ennis, tedesco, proctor and mansor.. His signing was the turning point in my opinion.

If the criteria is what they subsequently achieved in green then rapana has to be top 5. Sure I don't need to explain why
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

FROG wrote: April 20, 2019, 10:47 am If the criteria is the effect the signing had on the club I think sisa waqa deserves a mention. He signed with us when no one else would think ennis, tedesco, proctor and mansor.. His signing was the turning point in my opinion.

If the criteria is what they subsequently achieved in green then rapana has to be top 5. Sure I don't need to explain why
Hmm two good ones there. Waqa played a good season or so too.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Soliolo has been a fair signing - a very established player who came to Canberra essentially for his 3rd career and has made a big impact both on the field and around club culture. Probably not top 10 but I wouldn’t scream if he snuck in and and certainly ahead of a few other names being chucked up.