5%
Broncos 13+
No votes

Total votes: 22

Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Re: 2019 Rd 6 V Broncos: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by 1992 »

Manbush wrote: April 17, 2019, 7:02 pm I’ve got a bad feeling about this weeks game, I’ve been giving way too much **** to Bronco fans the past few weeks karma is going to come back and bite me on the ass.
Hahahaha. Same.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

BadnMean wrote: April 17, 2019, 1:26 pm
edwahu wrote: April 17, 2019, 1:23 pm
BadnMean wrote: April 17, 2019, 1:16 pm
Northern Raider wrote: April 17, 2019, 9:02 am We're much fitter and still with only 1 genuine trial. Off season program obviously made the difference. Also consider guys like Boyd and Paulo have been replaced by Bateman and Sutton. Defensive load is more distributed and down sized pack bringing greater mobility for longer periods.

There's quite a few factors contributing to the results we're seeing. Full credit to Ricky and his team for identifying the main problems and taking the right steps to rectify them.

The keys now are if we can sustain it and if our underlying strategy can compete with the better teams (Storm, Roosters etc). Jury is still out in that one.
Well we had 2 trials, which gives you the luxury of deciding who needs to play 2 to get right, or who has a niggle and can play X trial instead of Y trial and doesn't miss entirely like you might with one. It gave guys like Hors and CNK a genuine chance to show they had the right stuff too. That's the benefit of 2 trials, doesn't have to be all or nothing.
Ricky also played a bunch of the first grade middle forwards in a Mounties trial. Sutton, Horsburgh, Young, Lui had 3 trials I think. Seems like it helped with getting them match fit.
This could also be part of his rotation plan- he's recognised we needed to be fitter early in the season so gave a good, hard lead up- but will rotate most blokes during the season in an effort not to burn guys out should we make the finals.
That's a smart strategy if that is the case. It should also mean Hudson-Young, another big minute player will drop back to Mounties in a few weeks.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Anyone else liking Havilii off the bench? Stocky guy who makes good post contact metres and just does his job. He and Lui are going about their job with no fuss. Love it.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

1992 wrote:Anyone else liking Havilii off the bench? Stocky guy who makes good post contact metres and just does his job. He and Lui are going about their job with no fuss. Love it.
He has been really solid this year and has altered his game to suit the side (More forward less 9).

Fingers crossed that knee injury he picked up last weekend is completely sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Makes surprisingly good impact when he plays the running lock role, rarely gets dominated in a hit up

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

1992 wrote: April 17, 2019, 7:09 pm Anyone else liking Havilii off the bench? Stocky guy who makes good post contact metres and just does his job. He and Lui are going about their job with no fuss. Love it.
Yep. He spoke all pre-season about how he had been designated bench utility role and adjusted his training and attitude to suit that, rather than playing long minutes at hooker for an absent Hodgo. Looking for slightly more size and power.

He's a good bench package as he is strong enough to bust tackles, force an offload or a few more metres in a run and hit with impact in the middle + is an effective, quick service hooker with a decent little passing or stepping game a loose forward. That's actually an upgrade on Baptiste (much as I like the guy).

Happy with him as our bench utility. If we get a few dry weather games he'll bust a game open for us somewhere.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

1992 wrote: April 17, 2019, 7:09 pm Anyone else liking Havilii off the bench? Stocky guy who makes good post contact metres and just does his job. He and Lui are going about their job with no fuss. Love it.
Plus he can slot a late field goal of needed
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: April 17, 2019, 7:47 pm
No he can't..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-PJ- wrote: April 17, 2019, 7:49 pm
No he can't..
Oooh judgy judgy
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Manbush wrote: April 17, 2019, 7:02 pm I’ve got a bad feeling about this weeks game, I’ve been giving way too much **** to Bronco fans the past few weeks karma is going to come back and bite me on the ass.

Dont worry about it, they're garbage
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

1992 wrote:Anyone else liking Havilii off the bench? Stocky guy who makes good post contact metres and just does his job. He and Lui are going about their job with no fuss. Love it.
I'm liking Havilii off the bench very much indeed.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Peter Badel is reporting on Twitter that Roberts will play this weekend.

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

RTW wrote: April 17, 2019, 8:21 pm Peter Badel is reporting on Twitter that Roberts will play this weekend.

Not sure that helps them a great deal. He's quick but Toots has been in good defensive form. Roberts still plays on the right?
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

BadnMean wrote: April 17, 2019, 8:37 pm
RTW wrote: April 17, 2019, 8:21 pm Peter Badel is reporting on Twitter that Roberts will play this weekend.

Not sure that helps them a great deal. He's quick but Toots has been in good defensive form. Roberts still plays on the right?
Yeah, Roberts right and Bird left I'm pretty sure. I'm not too worried about him playing either.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Even in the days when Croker was a massive turnstile, he’s always had Roberts’ number... so bring him on
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad lighting it up in the national capital

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad is still coming to terms with his red-hot start to the 2019 NRL season.

"Man, it's been crazy but I wouldn't change anything now, it all worked out," Nicoll-Klokstad said. "I came late in the pre-season so I didn't expect too much," he said. If you had told me then (before signing) that by April I would be the Raiders starting fullback and have played the five opening games, I wouldn't have believed you. It's been a dream come true."

Read more: https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/11 ... ie-capital
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

I fear this is the game where we get spanked by an enthusiastic Broncos side and it all come crashing back to earth...

Then we will have excuses about the high energy defence has drained the team but we will come good but we never do
boydy80
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by boydy80 »

KingDynamite wrote: April 17, 2019, 10:28 pm I fear this is the game where we get spanked by an enthusiastic Broncos side and it all come crashing back to earth...

Then we will have excuses about the high energy defence has drained the team but we will come good but we never do
Bronco's are the new Raiders in 2019

If we're complacent, and they get their tails up, they'll run a score on us quick.

If we start the game as we have been, and they don't get their (broncos) way after 20mins, they'll start to fall to bits.

It had better turn out to be the latter, considering I'm burning my Easter weekend dragging the missus to Canberra for this one :lol:
Long time creeper....... First time poster
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

boydy80 wrote: April 17, 2019, 10:45 pm
KingDynamite wrote: April 17, 2019, 10:28 pm I fear this is the game where we get spanked by an enthusiastic Broncos side and it all come crashing back to earth...

If we're complacent, and they get their tails up, they'll run a score on us quick.

If we start the game as we have been, and they don't get their (broncos) way after 20mins, they'll start to fall to bits.

It had better turn out to be the latter, considering I'm burning my Easter weekend dragging the missus to Canberra for this one :lol:
Good to see you tipped the perfect round last week!

Canberra... it's wonderful! Treat her to our fantastic restaurants, cafes, coffee as well! Stay for Easter and do some things she'd like to do!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Broncos are really struggling for form. In years past it would be a game against the Raiders that saw them regain it. This year we have a stronger mentality. Willing to roll up the sleeves and to the hard stuff needed to win. Comfortable getting into the grind.

Broncos are going to show up with a bit of steel in their backbones. Raiders need to go into this match with the same mentality they would against any of the top sides. If not we could get ambushed.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

This is men vs boys. A big reason the broncos are floundering is their middle has an average age of 12.

20 - Payne Hass
23 - Joe Ofahengaue
19 - David Fifita
19 - Thomas Flegler
21 - Patrick Carrigan
21 - Jaydn Su'A

Staggs is 20 and Shibasaki is 21.

We should be bullying them out of this like we have the last 2 weeks.
Past broncos sides have not only had talent they've had far better mobility than us. That's not how it is anymore.
boydy80
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by boydy80 »

greeneyed wrote: April 17, 2019, 10:49 pm
boydy80 wrote: April 17, 2019, 10:45 pm

Good to see you tipped the perfect round last week!

Canberra... it's wonderful! Treat her to our fantastic restaurants, cafes, coffee as well! Stay for Easter and do some things she'd like to do!
We're both looking forward to it tbh, 4 days of the best Braddon has too offer and then home via the south coast over a couple days.... We could do worse 😉
Long time creeper....... First time poster
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

5 wins from 6 games would be AMAZING. It would be so unusual for us, but I am confident.

Nek minnit, penalty Broncos.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

This game is where the old Raider fan mentality wants to kick in. Its where we think the old Raiders turn up for the game , no line speed , poor defense , no game management.

But we have to remind ourselves that the team is different this year. We got caught out early by the Storm but we adjusted in the game to be competitive and all the other games we havent looked like losing.

We should win this game playing like we have but we arent going to win every week , some weeks we will lose , its how we lose that is important and I don't think we are going to lose any games because we played like 2018 and back
GreenGirl
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by GreenGirl »

I actually LOL’d at this. 🤣
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

zim wrote: April 17, 2019, 11:40 pm This is men vs boys. A big reason the broncos are floundering is their middle has an average age of 12.

20 - Payne Hass
23 - Joe Ofahengaue
19 - David Fifita
19 - Thomas Flegler
21 - Patrick Carrigan
21 - Jaydn Su'A

Past broncos sides have not only had talent they've had far better mobility than us. That's not how it is anymore.
Yep, bang on.

On The Matty Johns show the other night, Tallis was hammering on about how the Bronco's aren't playing for the jersey and that on paper they're a top four side and should be up there with the Roosters and Storm. Parker was agreeing with him. I've heard Lockyer express similar sentiments on Nine.

The Bronco's commentators/cheerleaders have had it so good for so long that they just can't see what's in front of them any longer - the Broncos roster just isn't that great.

Look at their spine. As you pointed out, their middle forwards are all kids. Their hooker is an ok club player who'd never have gotten a rep jersey if he didn't play for the Ponies. They have, by far, the worst organising halves in the game - and one of them isn't even a half, he's a fullback who's been forced to play in the line and is carrying too much weight for his frame. Their fullback is a pensioner who refuses to put his body on the line, and their outside backs are all over-paid prima donnas or kids who haven't kicked on with their rookie development.

About the only place where they're ok is their backrow. But even then it's thin.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

zim wrote: April 17, 2019, 11:40 pm This is men vs boys. A big reason the broncos are floundering is their middle has an average age of 12.

20 - Payne Hass
23 - Joe Ofahengaue
19 - David Fifita
19 - Thomas Flegler
21 - Patrick Carrigan
21 - Jaydn Su'A

Thats a fair observation. Not sure its been their issue however. last week vs Tigers their focus was rolling up the middle 3rd. It worked OK in that aspect. They made good metres and Tiger's middle forwards rattled up some massive tackle numbers in that opening half. It was the inability of their playmakers to take advantage was their problem.

Bronco may be young in the middle but I wouldn't underestimate them.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

I personally think Lodge is a bit of a loss for Broncos, I dont think Roberts will bother the Raiders, it could be a liability considering how injury prone he is, a win over Broncos would be sooo sweet. Raiders by 12
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Crusader wrote: April 18, 2019, 8:52 am I personally think Lodge is a bit of a loss for Broncos, I dont think Roberts will bother the Raiders, it could be a liability considering how injury prone he is, a win over Broncos would be sooo sweet. Raiders by 12
Just get Whitehead to give him the Fergo treatment and he'll be up the tunnel in a hurry.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

1992 wrote:
Hahahaha. Same.
Sweet, at least now we know who to blame if we do capitulate on Sunday Image Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Timbo wrote:
Crusader wrote: April 18, 2019, 8:52 am I personally think Lodge is a bit of a loss for Broncos, I dont think Roberts will bother the Raiders, it could be a liability considering how injury prone he is, a win over Broncos would be sooo sweet. Raiders by 12
Just get Whitehead to give him the Fergo treatment and he'll be up the tunnel in a hurry.
Normally I'd agree with this but we're honestly better off with Roberts on the park instead of Staggs. He's not a bad player the young fella. Not quite 'the best young centre in the game' because Croker will retire with that title.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Northern Raider wrote: April 18, 2019, 8:47 am

20 - Payne Hass
23 - Joe Ofahengaue
19 - David Fifita
19 - Thomas Flegler
21 - Patrick Carrigan
21 - Jaydn Su'A

Thats a fair observation. Not sure its been their issue however. last week vs Tigers their focus was rolling up the middle 3rd. It worked OK in that aspect. They made good metres and Tiger's middle forwards rattled up some massive tackle numbers in that opening half. It was the inability of their playmakers to take advantage was their problem.

Bronco may be young in the middle but I wouldn't underestimate them.
Yeah even though they're young I rate their middle, although Lodge out is a big loss. Their halves just stink it up so bad, and they all look lost when attacking the try line...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah good one, EDIT. There's absolutely nothing worse than April premiers, how about you keep the lid on it for at least a few months?

I've got a mate who's a dragons fan who is absolutely shooting from the hip about this time each year and deadly silent come finals time.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Whilst this year the bronco's have been underachieving for where they should be at broncos standard, as a regular NRL team I don't think they' stink as badly as the criticism they've been copping.

So far this season they've lost to the 2 top teams who appear to be well ahead of every other team, beaten the Cowboys and taken Dragons and Tigers to the last minute of their games.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I was just saying to my father in law this morning (who is a saints fan) that I hope we aren't 'doing a dragons' this year.