Broncos 1-12
5%
Broncos 13+
No votes

Total votes: 22

edwahu

Re: 2019 Rd 6 V Broncos: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by edwahu »

Larger middles like Guler and Hunt who have low defensive mobillity are not going to get a run unless Lui or Papalii go down. They just don't fit the gameplan.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

-TW- wrote: April 16, 2019, 10:38 pm
Hazza wrote:Turns out JJ Collins used to be JJ Felise. He's changed his name. I remember him playing for the tigers against us and let's just say he didn't exactly set the world on fire.
I cant remember him tbh

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
He was playing for them in that 60-6 game. Played a couple of games for the knights. He hasn't had much of a crack in 1st grade, let's hope he goes well. Probably only get around 6/7 minutes anyway.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

simo wrote: April 16, 2019, 10:40 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: April 16, 2019, 10:19 pm With Tapine out for a couple months or so, it's a good chance for the middle forwards to stake a claim for a starting spot. Lui and Sutton are there for the time being and doing a fine job... Lui is more of a stop gap solution if you're looking at the longer term view though. It would be good to see one of the younger guys step up over the coming rounds.
Im as surprised as anyone thata im saying this, but collectively over the first 5 rounds, dunamis lui has performed his role better than anyone else in the squad. Hes running hard and fast and often in his short stints clearly to allow our other players to stay on the park longer with more energy remaining. His our sacrificial anode to start games off
I agree. We’re getting a lot of him.

He also does a really good job at targeting the opposition halves/other player with his runs. He seemed to pick out Granville every run the other week, which I can only assume was a plan to tire out Granville to make his running game less effective.

Lui is like those guys on NBA teams whose job is to box out opponents so their teammates can get the rebound.i rate him.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

PigRickman wrote: April 16, 2019, 9:37 pm
Riaan wrote: April 16, 2019, 9:25 pm I think its fairly obvious that we aren't a development club anymore. I get what rickpigman is saying but for every tpj that walks out the door it also means that we aren't paying rep dollars for guys like shaun fensom and joe picker.
Yep, that's a the very fair counter. My philosophy is not without it's own issues. And in support of what you're saying, we've been repeatedly burnt by that before, which is why Stuart took us away from being a development club.,

I think there is fine line to balance here, i dont think we should be overpaying the kids but i think we should be giving them a chance and avenue to feel like they have a future here and can develop... and im not sure if i was Guler i'd feel that great about things right now.

I get best man for the job, that's at the core of any coach, sport is at it's core a true meritocracy, but we also need to be identifying talent, elite talent, who just need to be invested in for the greater long term gain.

Im stumping pretty hard for Guler, maybe too hard. But i believe in that guy. I think he's an elite talent. I dont think there are many dudes at his size who move the way he does. Its hard to find. JJ Collins is easy to find.
The majority of elite players show their class at a young age, some continue to rise others are false messiahs. if a club thinks a young fella is going to achieve as expected, then for sure encourage and nurture the talent. Special treatment has backfired before and will again, but I bet if the cows had another chance Ponga would still be a cow.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Ruben Daley wrote: April 16, 2019, 11:21 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: April 16, 2019, 10:19 pm With Tapine out for a couple months or so, it's a good chance for the middle forwards to stake a claim for a starting spot. Lui and Sutton are there for the time being and doing a fine job... Lui is more of a stop gap solution if you're looking at the longer term view though. It would be good to see one of the younger guys step up over the coming rounds.
Im as surprised as anyone thata im saying this, but collectively over the first 5 rounds, dunamis lui has performed his role better than anyone else in the squad. Hes running hard and fast and often in his short stints clearly to allow our other players to stay on the park longer with more energy remaining. His our sacrificial anode to start games off

He also does a really good job at targeting the opposition halves/other player with his runs. He seemed to pick out Granville every run the other week, which I can only assume was a plan to tire out Granville to make his running game less effective.

Lui is like those guys on NBA teams whose job is to box out opponents so their teammates can get the rebound.i rate him.
I like the job Lui has been doing for us too and his role seems to fit well with the kind of game plans we've been playing lately. But I'm just thinking longer term, he might have to drop out of that starting role if somebody else steps up.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

He's definitely playing his best footy ever.

He's delivering above the "just ok" we thought he was capable of last year. He's actually a good role player right now. Very effective. No mistakes, speed off the line, finds his front with the ball, hits solidly in defence and no lazy plays. That'll do for my budget prop. Yes I'll have a promising rookie on the bench but Lui is doing his job and our pack is dominating. Earned his spot.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Since Sutton was selected for FG starting, our middle 3 have done the defensive job which was missing against the Storm. The Eels had the larger pack and Sticky had the game plan to take on and move around those larger blokes. Our first contact is far more solid and energetic in 2019. They also move laterally far better to support the edges. Credit to the coaching team for both the training and recruitment and selection policies of 2019.

It's like Sticky has taken on the philosophies of his mate Craig Bellamy. Have the players know their role and continue to focus on defence first and foremost. If the opposition can't score or make ground easily then you become a 'tough to beat' side. There are no panacea's in Rugby League. But having strong defensive outcomes sure is better for the team than standing in your in goal watching the opposition take another conversion attempt. Better for fans too.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Raiders_Pat wrote: April 16, 2019, 11:38 pm

I like the job Lui has been doing for us too and his role seems to fit well with the kind of game plans we've been playing lately. But I'm just thinking longer term, he might have to drop out of that starting role if somebody else steps up.
Why in the world would we have to drop a bloke who is nailing his role just for a young bloke to hopefully do the same thing? Its not like hes taking up bulk minites anyway.
Dont delete this GE
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Other than the Melbourne game, no side has been able to get a real roll on against us set after set, like they were doing in 2018. I am convinced last year (and 2017) a lot of our issues had to do with early season fitness. I still shudder thinking about the first Warriors game in 2017 where they kicked a field goal, made another 80m off a kickoff, and kicked another one. No matter what noises come out of the club - there is just no doubt we are simply much fitter this year. I do think some of this came from post 2016 - there seemed to be a push to "come good at the right time of the year", and it is clear we went into both 2017 and 2018 underdone. Credit to the coaching staff for rectifying this, but as I mentioned in another post, we need to ensure we have a good rotation going forward because the style we are playing will be physically draining later in the season.
Last edited by TongueFTW on April 17, 2019, 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

RedRaider wrote: April 16, 2019, 4:44 pm
Matt wrote: April 16, 2019, 4:03 pm The depth rotation continues. JJ Collins getting his turn
Another high energy player coming off the bench. I am a fan of HorsPower and like his aggression, but Collins takes the ball up fearlessly and flat out every carry. I'm looking forward to his debut with us.
I'm happy with Ricky's depth rotation. Keeps them fresh, hungry and NRL ready.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

We're much fitter and still with only 1 genuine trial. Off season program obviously made the difference. Also consider guys like Boyd and Paulo have been replaced by Bateman and Sutton. Defensive load is more distributed and down sized pack bringing greater mobility for longer periods.

There's quite a few factors contributing to the results we're seeing. Full credit to Ricky and his team for identifying the main problems and taking the right steps to rectify them.

The keys now are if we can sustain it and if our underlying strategy can compete with the better teams (Storm, Roosters etc). Jury is still out in that one.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Apart from a few dropsies in his first couple of outings, Dynamis Lui has always been a consistent performer for the Raiders. It's one of the great Greenhouse myths that he's not very good and even that he's only playing well now but used to be rubbish. It's just now we're winning games and the whole team is playing well that people are recognising that he actually does his job quite well.

What you've seen from him for the first five weeks of the comp is how he's ALWAYS played for us, bar those couple of shaky games to start about three seasons ago.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

simo wrote: April 17, 2019, 6:22 am
Raiders_Pat wrote: April 16, 2019, 11:38 pm

Why in the world would we have to drop a bloke who is nailing his role just for a young bloke to hopefully do the same thing? Its not like hes taking up bulk minites anyway.
I reckon it’s to allow the first young bloke to continue to perform at that high level each game he plays rather than hit the wall as can happen. It also builds up other options for when the inevitable injuries strike.

After six rounds we’ll have Horsburgh, Young and Collins all ready to play first grade. That’s great.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I also was a bit confused as to why we've gone with Collins ahead of Horsburgh, but then again I couldn't work out why we kept going crashball after crashball on Sunday night and that worked a treat to leave them gassed for the second half.

Also, Young has averaged 14 minutes through his first three matches and Horsburgh averaged 25. This is the spot that Collins will be occupying so you'd like to think that he'll be able to hold his own for 15-20 minutes.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: April 17, 2019, 9:27 am Apart from a few dropsies in his first couple of outings, Dynamis Lui has always been a consistent performer for the Raiders. It's one of the great Greenhouse myths that he's not very good and even that he's only playing well now but used to be rubbish. It's just now we're winning games and the whole team is playing well that people are recognising that he actually does his job quite well.

What you've seen from him for the first five weeks of the comp is how he's ALWAYS played for us, bar those couple of shaky games to start about three seasons ago.
The problem with Lui, as far as i can see it, isnt that he's consistently OK. It's that he really isn't going to ever be better than that. And that's fine for him, he'll have a long 10 year career bouncing around doing that, and everyone who has him will be thankful for the job he does whilst hoping that one of the younger players develops and replaces him. That's what Lui is ultimately, a solid FGer who does his job but is always trying to be replaced.

I think he's playing pretty well right now and i think his energy is good for the team, and i'd have him in my 17 right now, but if im DFJ or Stuart im probably hoping this time next year he's not in our 17 because the young guys have taken a step.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Yep, it makes sense to rotate that spot and keep more players match fit and in competition. I am only a bit surprised Young wasn't also rotated for Murchie.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

edwahu wrote: April 16, 2019, 10:46 pm Larger middles like Guler and Hunt who have low defensive mobillity are not going to get a run unless Lui or Papalii go down. They just don't fit the gameplan.
I dont think Guler has low defensive mobility. I think he showed extremely great mobility and agility, it was the thing that most impressed me last year. He made errors like all rookies do but athletically he can defend in the middle as well as any middle we have imo.

But anyways, it's only the broncos this week, and they're **** garbage, so the minor quibbles about team selections arent a major concern right now
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Horsburgh or Murchie come in for Young this week. Just to keep that rotation going. More than likely to be Murchie though out of the two if anyone was to come in so we have a more natural second rower to call upon if required.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

PigRickman wrote: April 17, 2019, 10:23 am
The Rickman wrote: April 17, 2019, 9:27 am Apart from a few dropsies in his first couple of outings, Dynamis Lui has always been a consistent performer for the Raiders. It's one of the great Greenhouse myths that he's not very good and even that he's only playing well now but used to be rubbish. It's just now we're winning games and the whole team is playing well that people are recognising that he actually does his job quite well.

The problem with Lui, as far as i can see it, isnt that he's consistently OK. It's that he really isn't going to ever be better than that. And that's fine for him, he'll have a long 10 year career bouncing around doing that, and everyone who has him will be thankful for the job he does whilst hoping that one of the younger players develops and replaces him. That's what Lui is ultimately, a solid FGer who does his job but is always trying to be replaced.

I think he's playing pretty well right now and i think his energy is good for the team, and i'd have him in my 17 right now, but if im DFJ or Stuart im probably hoping this time next year he's not in our 17 because the young guys have taken a step.
I agree with Rickman’s assessment. I was fairly unimpressed with Lui’s recruitment so have kept a close eye on him from day one and was very quickly a supporter of his.

That’s not to say your dream of upgrading him isn’t also good, PigRick. But that’s always he hope, isn’t it? The difference is this year it’s not a necessity unlike most other years when we’ve carried a Ben Jones, Jarryd Kennedy or Luke Bateman (though I think he’s better than given credit for too).

Horsburgh is getting a really good intro into first grade and Young is too. Neither is impeded by Lui doing his thing. Guler isn’t either - he’s being outplayed by Horsburgh and Young. But I reckon he’ll get a shot.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Hazza wrote:Turns out JJ Collins used to be JJ Felise. He's changed his name. I remember him playing for the tigers against us and let's just say he didn't exactly set the world on fire.
But what does j j stand for? It's killing m3 not knowing!

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Northern Raider wrote: April 17, 2019, 9:02 am We're much fitter and still with only 1 genuine trial. Off season program obviously made the difference. Also consider guys like Boyd and Paulo have been replaced by Bateman and Sutton. Defensive load is more distributed and down sized pack bringing greater mobility for longer periods.

There's quite a few factors contributing to the results we're seeing. Full credit to Ricky and his team for identifying the main problems and taking the right steps to rectify them.

The keys now are if we can sustain it and if our underlying strategy can compete with the better teams (Storm, Roosters etc). Jury is still out in that one.
Well we had 2 trials, which gives you the luxury of deciding who needs to play 2 to get right, or who has a niggle and can play X trial instead of Y trial and doesn't miss entirely like you might with one. It gave guys like Hors and CNK a genuine chance to show they had the right stuff too. That's the benefit of 2 trials, doesn't have to be all or nothing.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Jacob Junior

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

BadnMean wrote: April 17, 2019, 1:16 pm
Northern Raider wrote: April 17, 2019, 9:02 am We're much fitter and still with only 1 genuine trial. Off season program obviously made the difference. Also consider guys like Boyd and Paulo have been replaced by Bateman and Sutton. Defensive load is more distributed and down sized pack bringing greater mobility for longer periods.

Well we had 2 trials, which gives you the luxury of deciding who needs to play 2 to get right, or who has a niggle and can play X trial instead of Y trial and doesn't miss entirely like you might with one. It gave guys like Hors and CNK a genuine chance to show they had the right stuff too. That's the benefit of 2 trials, doesn't have to be all or nothing.
Ricky also played a bunch of the first grade middle forwards in a Mounties trial. Sutton, Horsburgh, Young, Lui had 3 trials I think. Seems like it helped with getting them match fit.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

edwahu wrote: April 17, 2019, 1:23 pm
BadnMean wrote: April 17, 2019, 1:16 pm

Ricky also played a bunch of the first grade middle forwards in a Mounties trial. Sutton, Horsburgh, Young, Lui had 3 trials I think. Seems like it helped with getting them match fit.
This could also be part of his rotation plan- he's recognised we needed to be fitter early in the season so gave a good, hard lead up- but will rotate most blokes during the season in an effort not to burn guys out should we make the finals.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I wouldn't be too worried about Guler. He's on a 3 year deal. We didn't sign him to that just for the hell of it.
He'll get game time this year at some stage in the regular rotation and origin. You'd have to think there's also going to be a downturn in squad form for a few weeks at some point.

A pre-season can change a lot for these younger guys and while guys like Horsburgh and Hunt are popping in and out of game time Guler is getting that match fitness and consistency.

He'll have a bigger role next year too. We'll be without Hunt and Bateman. If re-signings go a different way we could be without Horsburgh and Young too. I wonder if their being off contract played a role in them getting earlier call ups.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

RTW wrote:Jacob Junior

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I like the name jacob :)

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jordan Rapana reins in attacking flair in pursuit of Canberra Raiders premiership

Spurred by missing the finals the last two seasons, Jordan Rapana has vowed to attack with the precision of a surgeon rather than go for the doctor on every single play.

"A big focus for us compared to previous years is when to chance our hand and when not to," Rapana said. "To attack at the right time of the game and speaking for BJ and myself on the right side of the field, I think we've got a better balance.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/16/rap ... emiership/

VIDEO: Whitehead: We still have a long way to go: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... way-to-go/

PODCAST: Behind the Limelight: Ryan Sutton and Kevin Walters: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... -walters2/

Game Day Guide: Raiders v Broncos: Phil Small named Round 6 Viking Ambassador: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/04 ... v-broncos/
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I'll put him down for 3 more of his classic 'Rapana Banana' move this weekend :thumbsup
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Luckless Joe Tapine expected to bounce back for Canberra Raiders

Joseph Tapine's teammates are backing the star forward to bounce back after suffering yet another serious injury.

"It's frustrating to see him out for a period of time but he's got a good support base around him with his partner and family and all of the guys here," Jarrod Croker said. "But it's a tough one to swallow for him, first game back and so early in the year but he's got the back end of the year to look forward to."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/17/tea ... y-setback/
Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Staurt

Post by Goldcoast Raider »

Jamie Soward just tipped the broncos for a upset , little 🤬
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I’m coming 2nd in my work tips, but found I’m tipping 5 of the outsiders this week
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders flick switch for patient attack

Patience is a virtue. But it's also a switch the Canberra Raiders have flicked on this season and it's paying off.

"This year we've just had a real mental switch where we're concentrating on our 'D' and making sure we're physical from the start and it's showing," Raiders lock Ryan Sutton said. "The best teams complete high and get results. The first 20 minutes is all about keeping hold of the ball and getting to the end of the sets and kicking and backing our defence.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Josh Papalii warns Canberra Raiders to beware Broncos buck Payne Haas

Canberra Raiders enforcer Josh Papalii knows little about Payne Haas, but he feels everything the Brisbane Broncos youngster has been through off the field only makes him more dangerous on it.

"You won't miss him. He's a big kid," Papalii said. "I read a few things that he's been through a lot as a young fella and you can see that with his attitude and the way he commits into playing, it's amazing to watch."

Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

greeneyed wrote:Josh Papalii warns Canberra Raiders to beware Broncos buck Payne Haas

Canberra Raiders enforcer Josh Papalii knows little about Payne Haas, but he feels everything the Brisbane Broncos youngster has been through off the field only makes him more dangerous on it.

"You won't miss him. He's a big kid," Papalii said. "I read a few things that he's been through a lot as a young fella and you can see that with his attitude and the way he commits into playing, it's amazing to watch."

It’s your job to stop him Papa, it’s good to see Papa has eyes on him.

These two should be a great contest.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

I’ve got a bad feeling about this weeks game, I’ve been giving way too much **** to Bronco fans the past few weeks karma is going to come back and bite me on the ass.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.