Williams or Sezer?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: Williams or Sezer

Post by kona_dream »

We are 6 months into this years contract. Moving Sezer this year does bugger all for the value he provides.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

kona_dream wrote: April 16, 2019, 1:25 pm We are 6 months into this years contract. Moving Sezer this year does bugger all for the value he provides.
The fact that Sezer is 6 months in to this year's contract has no bearing on whether we should keep him or release him...
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Releasing Sezer for no real reason other than "we could upgrade one or two players" makes zero sense.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Considering Sezer was pretty good in our opening win and played halfback during our second place finish in 2016, I wouldn’t be selling him of immediately.

I support Sam Williams holding his spot at the moment, he is playing well. But it’s not like Sam has been the key player in any of our last three wins.

Keep the powder dry for a few weeks and monitor the situation.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Yeah I see no value in releasing Sezer this season. This current period where Williams has his spot and they're winning games and he's watching the boys from the sideline is probably the biggest kick he's taken here at the Raiders and i'm hoping he is going above and beyond to get back in the side and will be better for it. Both of these guys will benefit from the competition.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BJ wrote: April 16, 2019, 2:18 pm Considering Sezer was pretty good in our opening win and played halfback during our second place finish in 2016, I wouldn’t be selling him of immediately.

I support Sam Williams holding his spot at the moment, he is playing well. But it’s not like Sam has been the key player in any of our last three wins.

Keep the powder dry for a few weeks and monitor the situation.
Sezer was good against Titans. Poor against Storm. The latter was by far the toughest opponent we've seen this season too. Hard to write him off for the season based on those 2 games alone.

Williams was good against the Knights. Poor against the Cowboys. Neither good nor bad vs Eels but he did his job so thats a pass mark. Its his next couple of games that will either solidify his starting spot or see him back in the Mounties again.

Either way its too early to be talking about releasing Sezer.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

Raiders_Pat wrote: April 16, 2019, 1:39 pm
kona_dream wrote: April 16, 2019, 1:25 pm We are 6 months into this years contract. Moving Sezer this year does bugger all for the value he provides.
The fact that Sezer is 6 months in to this year's contract has no bearing on whether we should keep him or release him...
I think it does. Looking at this this way. If his contract value is $600k pa we have already paid nearly $300k already. Even if we replace him in the next couple of weeks with a minimum wage player on $100k we only save $200,000 for the year. $300,000 for a player to play 2 games for the season, that's Matt Oford like :roflmao
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

I don’t even know why we are talking about releasing our biggest name half, 5 games in. Crazy stuff. If we do that and happen to have an injury to Wighton and Williams at the same time, we have a halves combination of J.Bateman and Hingano. Now let’s move on from the subject.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Peter wrote: April 16, 2019, 6:51 pm I don’t even know why we are talking about releasing our biggest name half, 5 games in. Crazy stuff. If we do that and happen to have an injury to Wighton and Williams at the same time, we have a halves combination of J.Bateman and Hingano. Now let’s move on from the subject.
Yes.

Let alone a CNK injury, or one of those suddenly hitting a ceiling and a limiting flaw being discovered...

(I'm still scarred from David Milne).

Sezer stays unless someone offers a better swap or G. Williams arrives.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Of course the club won't release either player unless George Williams comes here early. Hingano isn't anywhere near ready to play regular first grade IMO.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Why would we release him? Sammy could do his acl next week. We need the depth. In saying that, I don't think Hingano is as bad as some on here make out, can't judge him until he has an extended run in his actual position.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Well we still have two months before June 30. I don't think anyone was proposing a release tomorrow but if Sezer hasn't done enough to reclaim his spot by then and you could find a buyer you'd be pretty mad not to look into it.

As mentioned earlier you would release him to a team in need to try and get as much of his 2020 deal off the books as possible.
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Bennyinthewest »

Agree Roger, assuming we have the space already to sign williams, that extra space may be enough to get TPJ

And I know it's a lot to fall our way but I feel our pack is 1 prop short n with TPJ in it here, man I would be frothing

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

Is it just me or are a lot of people mistaking George Williams for a steering 7 who in fact has played more than 75% of his career as a 6? I think the original idea of Jack filling a hole at 6 until Williams’s arrived has been thrown on its head by The current fullback playing well. Williams will be good but hes closer to a Blake Austin style rather than a tactical 7. Im no expert, just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Na, Ronny I think that’s been the book on him expressed by those who have seen enough of him to comment
Certainly I’ve never seen a second of him and my impression based on reading mirrors what you’ve said

I think the discussion about George and Wighton being a halves combination is an acceptance that:

A) this is a split halves competition so running halves vs organisational halves isn’t the discussion it once was, especially when our organisation and shape comes through our hooker

B) Neither Sam williams or Aiden Sezer inspires enough confidence to for basically anyone to want to roll with them, so lack of options, Wighton gets the nod, especially if CNK keeps this up
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I’ve watched a handful of Wigan games on Kayo since I heard he was coming. (Kayo is awesome btw)

A team needs a leader who will call the plays and steer the team to the spots for set up plays. That can be, and is, Hodgson for our team.
Second to that you need halves that create and/or finish off attacking opportunities. At this stage Wighton is more of a finisher, he can put polish on a movement.
George Williams creates opportunities for other players. His short kicking game is top notch. He tries and pulls off all sorts of chip kicks and grubbers.
He has a fast long pass, but mostly goes to the line and plays short to second rower.
He is also a strong runner, more like a DCE where if a play breaks down or he runs out of options he can bump off players and crab accross field picking up runners. He’s scored about 4 tries this year from just backing up as well.

He’ll do.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

I’m going to the Mounties game today hoping that Sezer plays and absolutely carves them up! I’m currently in the “Williams keeps his spot as long as he deserves it” camp, but I’ve always liked Sezer and want him to really push hard for his first grade spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Beejay wrote: April 21, 2019, 11:26 am I’ve watched a handful of Wigan games on Kayo since I heard he was coming. (Kayo is awesome btw)

A team needs a leader who will call the plays and steer the team to the spots for set up plays. That can be, and is, Hodgson for our team.
Second to that you need halves that create and/or finish off attacking opportunities. At this stage Wighton is more of a finisher, he can put polish on a movement.
George Williams creates opportunities for other players. His short kicking game is top notch. He tries and pulls off all sorts of chip kicks and grubbers.
He has a fast long pass, but mostly goes to the line and plays short to second rower.
He is also a strong runner, more like a DCE where if a play breaks down or he runs out of options he can bump off players and crab accross field picking up runners. He’s scored about 4 tries this year from just backing up as well.

He’ll do.
That’s the sort of post I like reading
We need a guy who engages the line and plays what is given to him

Sezer plays too laterally and Williams run the play he decided in his head before he gets the ball
Neither attack the line and react to the defence
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

On the other hand, the Broncos show everyone how **** two running halves can look. Directionless, headless chicken stuff.

Wighton and George Williams could be a disaster.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 21, 2019, 3:36 pm On the other hand, the Broncos show everyone how **** two running halves can look. Directionless, headless chicken stuff.

They have a very one dimensional hooker though.
Ronny P
Peter Jackson

Post by Ronny P »

I am happy to be corrected however time will tell. Just dont think the game is what it was 12 months ago with left and right halves. Its more traditional half and running 5/8. It will stay that way also when the interchange goes back to 6. I would also not be surprised to see centres do the same. Anyway great win today. Disappointing to see minimal crowds at the jersey flegg game. Some good kids getting around in there. Just didnt get the rub of the green today like previous weeks. The challenge now is how to keep them.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Sammy defended pretty well today. Kicking wasn't great but he definitely gets a pass mark again.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

He's doing enough

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

we surrendered a LOT of yards in the middle part of that game down Williams side, but if it's bend and don't break, im fine with that.
Our halves are giving us virtually nothing in the red zone as ball players, ultimately that'll cap our ceiling but the train keeps rolling.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

T_R wrote: April 21, 2019, 6:33 pmHe's doing enough
Tough run next 4 weeks. This is Williams chance to cement or lose his spot
Last edited by Northern Raider on April 21, 2019, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 21, 2019, 3:36 pm On the other hand, the Broncos show everyone how **** two running halves can look. Directionless, headless chicken stuff.

Just to follow up;
From everything I’ve seen, George Williams is not a running half. He’s a ball player with a good kicking game.

He might not be an organiser, but his strength is not his running. He’s a ball player.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Beejay wrote:

Just to follow up;
From everything I’ve seen, George Williams is not a running half. He’s a ball player with a good kicking game.

He might not be an organiser, but his strength is not his running. He’s a ball player.
Completely agree. Come Williams, we have two Wightons.

EDIT Disagree! I meant DISagree!

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

And that’s what I’m keen on
What we are dreadfully lacking is a creative ball player

That’s what unlocks red zone attack
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Sam did enough to stay in first grade, sezer didn't do enough to get back in. Easy decision.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

PigRickman wrote: April 21, 2019, 1:12 pm
Beejay wrote: April 21, 2019, 11:26 am I’ve watched a handful of Wigan games on Kayo since I heard he was coming. (Kayo is awesome btw)

He’ll do.
That’s the sort of post I like reading
We need a guy who engages the line and plays what is given to him

Sezer plays too laterally and Williams run the play he decided in his head before he gets the ball
Neither attack the line and react to the defence
I really don’t agree with that synopsis of George Williams tbh. Plays before the line way more than to it from what I’ve seen this season.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah i dont know, as said, never seen a second of him play
Wont have an opinion yay or nay on him until i do, but we need a creative ball player, so hopefully he's it.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

julian87 wrote: April 21, 2019, 9:45 pm I really don’t agree with that synopsis of George Williams tbh. Plays before the line way more than to it from what I’ve seen this season.
Would you say his strength is his running game, or that he would in anyway be described as a running 5/8?

His passing game looks real strong to me, and his relies heavily on his short kicking game and goes to it often.
Just a completely different player to Wighton.

When I look at the Broncos halves problems, there’s nothing wrong with Milford, he doing quite well with what he’s got. They are just playing him wrong, he needs to be running more and passing less if anything. It’s just that he has a very one dimensional partner, who doesn’t compliment him at all.
Point is; George Williams/Jack Wighton would be nothing like those two.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

I got a mate that works for the Super League over there, they tell me the knock on George Williams is he's a turnstile in D. He's a flashy inconsistent player is the mail. I've barely seen him play so that's not my take, going on what I've been told.

Watching Samuel yesterday, it became apparent he's basically a right footed version of Sezer. Didn't think he did a lot yesterday. Tipping they'll be rotated through the season. Neither the long term answer.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

How did sezer go for mounties? Theres way too many holes in williams game for mine. I know we are winning but its not because of williams. Sezer is stronger in the areas required when our direction is coming from our hooker
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sezer was not bashing down the door for Mounties... see comments in the Mounties thread.