Re: The Politics Thread 2019

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha fair call, NR
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

My main issue with dole bludging is the lesson it teaches their children and how it can become generational. The poor are our main breeders, kids grow up with parents setting a bad example and going to bad quality public schools where it ends up hard to break the cycle. It’s one of the reasons even as someone without kids I’d love to see more of my tax money go to public schools to try and help these kids become better.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

That’s a load of garbage, Bushy. I went to one of the worst schools in Queensland (Albi would attest to that if he were still alive), and I turned out ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

The Rickman wrote: April 10, 2019, 9:43 pm That’s a load of garbage, Bushy. I went to one of the worst schools in Queensland (Albi would attest to that if he were still alive), and I turned out ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What were your parents like though?
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Rickman wrote:Like I said, I literally spend more in one session down the pub than my tax for the year goes towards Newstart, so the next time someone tells you all their tax is paying for "dole bludgers", just punch them in the throat for me.
You spend more than $239 in one session..

Well **** me, your shout then..
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

The Politics Thread 2019

Post by The Nickman »

-TW- wrote:
The Rickman wrote:Like I said, I literally spend more in one session down the pub than my tax for the year goes towards Newstart, so the next time someone tells you all their tax is paying for "dole bludgers", just punch them in the throat for me.
You spend more than $239 in one session..

Well **** me, your shout then..
$239? Wow, you must pay a LOT more tax than I do, Timmy!

Well done!

I... I think it’s YOUR shout!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Rickman wrote: April 10, 2019, 9:43 pm That’s a load of garbage, Bushy. I went to one of the worst schools in Queensland (Albi would attest to that if he were still alive), and I turned out ok
I contacted that school and they were of the opinion it's improved since you finished. Said something about raising the lowest common denominator but I didn't really understand.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Federal election announced for May 8. Not looking forward to the next 4 weeks.

Come to think of it I'm not looking forward to the few years following either.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 11, 2019, 8:50 am Federal election announced for May 8. Not looking forward to the next 4 weeks.

I dunno, I'm sure ScoMo will go a lot better when he knows he has a full term ahead of him.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

He really should’ve called the election the moment he lost the vote on that MediVac bill. Parliament has barely even sat this year? Imagine trying to stretch out your grasp on power that little bit longer.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Northern Raider wrote:Federal election announced for May 8. Not looking forward to the next 4 weeks.

May 18, 5.5 weeks
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Rickman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: April 11, 2019, 8:50 am Federal election announced for May 8. Not looking forward to the next 4 weeks.

I dunno, I'm sure ScoMo will go a lot better when he knows he has a full term ahead of him.
Are you still predicting a LNP win?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gangrenous wrote: April 11, 2019, 12:17 pm
Northern Raider wrote:Federal election announced for May 8. Not looking forward to the next 4 weeks.

May 18, 5.5 weeks
Even worse :cry:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

T_R wrote: April 11, 2019, 12:55 pm
The Rickman wrote:

Bill Shorten could still win it for the LNP
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

As much as I despise Shorten, I cannot imagine how the country could vote for the LNP

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

T_R wrote: April 11, 2019, 1:34 pm As much as I despise Shorten, I cannot imagine how the country could vote for the LNP
You said it yourself. It's because they despise Shorten. He's the only person standing in the way of a landslide ALP victory.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: April 11, 2019, 12:55 pm
The Rickman wrote:

Yup.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I tend to agree, I don't think it's as cut and dried as people think for Labor
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

This country was dumb enough to vote for Tony Abbott. It is definitely dumb enough to elect Scott Morrison.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Green eyed Mick wrote:This country was dumb enough to vote for Tony Abbott. It is definitely dumb enough to elect Scott Morrison.
But are we so dumb that we would vote for Bill Shorten?

At least we're not dumb enough to vote for Di Natale - you have to give us credit for that.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

T_R wrote: April 11, 2019, 7:14 pm
Green eyed Mick wrote:This country was dumb enough to vote for Tony Abbott. It is definitely dumb enough to elect Scott Morrison.

At least we're not dumb enough to vote for Di Natale - you have to give us credit for that.
Morrison, Shorten, Di Natale, Hanson. Seriously, who can you vote for without appearing stupid?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Northern Raider wrote:
T_R wrote: April 11, 2019, 7:14 pm

Morrison, Shorten, Di Natale, Hanson. Seriously, who can you vote for without appearing stupid?
Anning? He seems nice.

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

T_R wrote:

A vote for Labor is a vote for Greens.

As for the welfare debate, i have a mate....dumb as a stone boat, 58, no intention of working fulltime, lives in his car (unregistered) at Byron Bay, off his medication and in a very dangerous place with his physical and mental health.

He refuses to work. What does he do? Well, he hangs around cafes, drinking coffee, talking to people and telling them he's making the 3rd movie in Mel Gibson's The Passion trilogy.

Yep. Our tax dollars are paying for that.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

dubby wrote: April 11, 2019, 9:24 pm
T_R wrote:

As for the welfare debate, i have a mate....dumb as a stone boat, 58, no intention of working fulltime, lives in his car (unregistered) at Byron Bay, off his medication and in a very dangerous place with his physical and mental health.

He refuses to work. What does he do? Well, he hangs around cafes, drinking coffee, talking to people and telling them he's making the 3rd movie in Mel Gibson's The Passion trilogy.

Hope it's a good movie then
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

dubby wrote:
T_R wrote:

Sounds like someone that the good citizens of Byron would elect as their mayor.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

ABC vote compass is back.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote: April 11, 2019, 9:24 pm
T_R wrote:

And how much of your hard earned tax dollars goes towards that, dubs? Hot tip: for a whole year it's less than said mate spends on coffee in a week.

Get over it, live and let live.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Who will give me odds on Israel Folau showing up as a political candidate in Western Sydney in the next, say, 5 years? I have a little theory.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

I don’t know, surely a candidate needs a basic level of intelligence, even Hanson looks like a genius beside him.

If he does run it will be as an obvious puppet, the question will be who is pulling his strings.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Manbush wrote: April 15, 2019, 10:53 pm I don’t know, surely a candidate needs a basic level of intelligence, even Hanson looks like a genius beside him.

If he does run it will be as an obvious puppet, the question will be who is pulling his strings.
Malcolm Roberts is the lead QLD candidate so this obviously isn't true.

The bloke doesn't even believe in Surnames and in the past has stated there is no such thing as a government.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

He can at least put a few coherent sentences together even though they may be factually incorrect.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Just had a go at ABC vote compass. Some of the questions feel a bit loaded e.g. How much should wealthier people pay in tax? Less, More, Same.

Its all relative. Pretty much anybody reading it will consider those above them to be "wealthier" but not feel they are wealthy themselves. Its also human nature that people want to pay less tax and those with more money to pay more tax to compensate. FTR its only the Greens who's policies fall into the 'More' category.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Gap is narrowing 2pp, now 51-49 to Labor

Bradbury looking shaky

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I've said it from the word go... Bill Shorten is unelectable.

The only person who's going to do a Bradbury here is Scott Morrison.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: April 29, 2019, 1:58 pm I've said it from the word go... Bill Shorten is unelectable.

The only person who's going to do a Bradbury here is Scott Morrison.
Haha this would be a hell of an act two if you get this right after absolutely smoking the donald trump thing