South Sydney Rabbitohs 2019

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Where will the Rabbitohs finish in 2019?

Minor premiers
No votes
Top four
67%
Top eight
33%
Bottom eight
No votes
Bottom four
No votes
Wooden spoon/least wins
No votes

Total votes: 6

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: South Sydney Rabbitohs 2018

Post by greeneyed »

Post 1990? Mal Meninga was playing in 1994 and Inglis certainly did not match him.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Post 90s I’d interpret as 2000+
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Inglis was a better player than Meninga for mine. I’ll be crucified on this forum for that on here I realize that.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

* I only remember Meninga late career live. And have obviously only seen early career highlights otherwise. So it’s not the most educated decision. Just what my eyes saw.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I've seen both. I've never seen a better centre, or outside back, than Meninga.
BJ
Steve Walters

South Sydney Rabbitohs 2018

Post by BJ »

Meninga clearly better and more influential than Inglis.

Meninga had that Inglis like tackle breaking ability and strong defence. So they are even there.

But Meninga was an excellent passer of the ball and was a great reader of the game situation, knowing when to up the ante. Meninga also an amazing leader of men.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

julian87 wrote: April 15, 2019, 10:31 pm Inglis was a better player than Meninga for mine. I’ll be crucified on this forum for that on here I realize that.
Time to dust off the ban stick :evil:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

julian87 wrote: April 15, 2019, 10:31 pm Inglis was a better player than Meninga for mine. I’ll be crucified on this forum for that on here I realize that.
So Inglis the Immortal then ??
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

julian87 wrote: April 15, 2019, 9:59 pm I need to say it. Inglis is the best outside back I’ve ever seen and very arguably the greatest player I’ve ever seen. He’s so far ahead of everyone else post 90s as a back it is unbelievable. He’s undoubtedly the best Origin player of all time as well imo.

This also makes me feel older than any other thing in league. I vividly remember him coming of age for the Kangaroos as a young adult and for him to retire is a weird feeling.

He has his faults but purely as a player I don’t think I’ll ever see an equal.
Inglis is one of my favourite players ever - his combination of strength, agility and speed is just freakish. His highlights reel is incredible - he did things on the field very few could do, and his try against the Broncos is one of my favourite tries of all time. My only criticism of him is that he could drift in an out of games/seasons, he was always more of a "big game" player - he did not have the consistent impact on the game that Cameron Smith has (for example).
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I agree with Jules 100%, Inglis was one of the best players I've ever seen too. I think the only thing holding him back from being the best was he didn't play his whole career at fullback. Back when he was fit, he was absolutely unstoppable at the back. I still remember seeing him play QCup as a young gangly fullback and thinking "this kid is going to be the best ever".

He wasn't far off it. Also agree with Jules' assessment of him at Origin level. At times he was the only thing standing between NSW and a victory, and throughout his most dominant period NSW's whole gameplan centred around "how in the world do we stop Inglis?!?" A true freak of nature.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BJ wrote:Meninga clearly better and more influential than Inglis.

Meninga had that Inglis like tackle breaking ability and strong defence. So they are even there.

But Meninga was an excellent passer of the ball and was a great reader of the game situation, knowing when to up the ante. Meninga also an amazing leader of men.
Agreed. Meninga was the best, when centre was one of the most important positions on the field. Inglis was the closest I've seen to Meninga but not as consistent in output/performance as big Mal.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

-PJ- wrote: April 16, 2019, 7:32 am
Yes imo.

Behind only Smith of the current generation for mine.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

julian87 wrote: April 16, 2019, 10:13 am
Yes imo.

I'd agree with that. And just above Thurston, and then Slater.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

BJ wrote: April 15, 2019, 11:05 pm Meninga clearly better and more influential than Inglis.

I don’t think you can just call them equal in attack because they could both break tackles. Inglis was an absolute freak of nature who in his prime was the best fullback, centre, winger and arguably five-eight (though I don’t really agree there) in the world at the same time.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The Rickman wrote: April 16, 2019, 10:15 am
julian87 wrote: April 16, 2019, 10:13 am
Yes imo.

I'd agree with that. And just above Thurston, and then Slater.
I still rate Lockyer definitely ahead of Slater.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I completely forgot about Lockyer! I probably have him ahead of Thurston too, but not really sure.

I still think Lockie's best football was as a fullback, although he transitioned from a great strike weapon to a great game manager really, really well.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Honestly, Smith, Thurston, Lockyer, Slater and Inglis are the five immortals of the last two decades (obviously joining Johns).

I wonder if they'll add a token NSW player like they used to do at Australian level? Gallen perhaps? Ugh.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The Rickman wrote: April 16, 2019, 10:20 am I completely forgot about Lockyer! I probably have him ahead of Thurston too, but not really sure.

I still think Lockie's best football was as a fullback, although he transitioned from a great strike weapon to a great game manager really, really well.
Agree 100%

Stretching including him as current but it’s close.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I don’t think Slater should be an immortal tbh.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

The only thing holding Slater back is he lost several seasons worth of his career with injuries, but the fact he was still able to return at the top of his game has him in the conversation.

I definitely have him at fifth out of the bunch though.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don't think Slater or Inglis should be Immortals myself. Lockyer, Thurston and Smith will be, no doubt, at some stage.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Why shouldn’t Inglis be an immortal? He is without question the most dominant state of origin player of all time. For a decade NSW picked an entire edge of their team based on based on Greg Inglis. One of the greatest Kangaroos players of all time as well.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

julian87 wrote: April 16, 2019, 11:26 am Why shouldn’t Inglis be an immortal? He is without question the most dominant state of origin player of all time. For a decade NSW picked an entire edge of their team based on based on Greg Inglis. One of the greatest Kangaroos players of all time as well.
I think because you said he was better than Meninga Fergus now doesn't want him to be an immortal.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

julian87 wrote: April 16, 2019, 11:26 am Why shouldn’t Inglis be an immortal? He is without question the most dominant state of origin player of all time. For a decade NSW picked an entire edge of their team based on based on Greg Inglis. One of the greatest Kangaroos players of all time as well.
Yep dominant at the highest level of the game, he deserves to be an immortal.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The Rickman wrote: April 16, 2019, 10:21 am Honestly, Smith, Thurston, Lockyer, Slater and Inglis are the five immortals of the last two decades (obviously joining Johns).

I wonder if they'll add a token NSW player like they used to do at Australian level? Gallen perhaps? Ugh.
Inglis is the token NSW player in that lot Nickman..
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote: April 16, 2019, 2:48 pm
The Rickman wrote: April 16, 2019, 10:21 am Honestly, Smith, Thurston, Lockyer, Slater and Inglis are the five immortals of the last two decades (obviously joining Johns).

Inglis is the token NSW player in that lot Nickman..
Well then Fergus is right... Inglis SHOULDN'T be an immortal
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You can't add so many players to the Immortals IMO. You need to be very selective, otherwise it reduces the stature of the award. One at most every four years. That's two or three per decade. I personally think Thurston and Smith are the most deserving, but I know they're going to add Lockyer next.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Most dominant back. Wally was the most dominant player.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: April 16, 2019, 2:54 pm You can't add so many players to the Immortals IMO. You need to be very selective, otherwise it reduces the stature of the award. One at most every four years. That's two or three per decade. I personally think Thurston and Smith are the most deserving, but I know they're going to add Lockyer next.
Yeah, Lockyer has been placed up on a pedestal for some reason. Top class player and Hall of Fame, yes. Immortal? Not so sure. Quite a few players I'd have ahead of him.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Agree. I put Lockyer at the Daley and Fitler level of greatness.

Amazingly good players but one rung below the other immortals named so far.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Lockyer was the same level player as Andrew Johns and they made Johns an immortal. Everyone else in this discussion is at that level or higher.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Now that Mal has been added I'd be happy for no more Immortals...ever !
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Rickman wrote:Lockyer was the same level player as Andrew Johns and they made Johns an immortal. Everyone else in this discussion is at that level or higher.
Lockyer and Johns were on the same level except Johns could actually tackle, and not just bar managers.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: April 17, 2019, 3:35 pm
The Rickman wrote:Lockyer was the same level player as Andrew Johns and they made Johns an immortal. Everyone else in this discussion is at that level or higher.
Lockyer and Johns were on the same level except Johns could actually tackle, and not just bar managers.

Yep, agreed. Which means Johns should not be an immortal, because no halfback should be an immortal based on their defence.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Rickman wrote:
gergreg wrote: April 17, 2019, 3:35 pm

Yep, agreed. Which means Johns should not be an immortal, because no halfback should be an immortal based on their defence.
No that's precisely why he should have been, and was, selected as an Immortal. He was great with the ball in hand and wasn't a liability in defence. Now before you and your QLD mates start blubbering I'd have no problem if Lockyer was inducted. I'd much prefer a proper Hall of Fame having greater prominence in the game, really but could certainly live with Lockyer, JT and Smith being the next 3.