Sunday 14 April 6:10pm
Gates open: 1:35pm
Jersey Flegg: Canberra Raiders V Parramatta Eels 1:50pm
NSW Cup: Mounties V Wentworthville Magpies 3:55pm
Canberra Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Cloudy. Slight chance of a shower. Light winds. Chance of any rain: 20 per cent. Min 9 Max 21

Round 4 2019. Canberra Raiders 30 - North Queensland Cowboys 12. It wasn't perfect. The Raiders dominated in the first half, and probably should have led by more than 10 points at half time. They allowed the Cowboys to come back, trailing by just six points at one stage in the second half.

The Raiders made too many errors, and some crucial errors at the wrong times. In the second half, the Cowboys were gaining momentum and the Raiders kept turning the ball over to them. But this year, the Canberra Raiders are very determined to defend their errors. The Raiders conceded just 12 points, and are averaging 11 points conceded per match. They have also had their best start to the season since 2005.

More on Round 4: As I saw it

In Round 5, the Raiders are back home to face an in-form Parramatta Eels. Coach Ricky Stuart has included Joe Tapine (thumb) in the Raiders top 17 on the bench, with Corey Horsburgh not named in the squad of 21. The top 17 is otherwise unchanged. Half Aidan Sezer (oblique) has been listed on the extended bench. The Eels have made no changes, though second rower Shaun Lane (virus) has not trained early in the week.

Late changes: The Canberra Raiders omitted JJ Collins and Bailey Simonsson from the extended bench on Saturday night, leaving Aidan Sezer and Royce Hunt in a squad of 19 men. Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart confirmed on Saturday that Sam Williams will play at starting half. Ray Stone and Bevan French dropped off the reserves list for the Eels.

History: Canberra has won 30 of 57 games against the Parramatta Eels. The Raiders have lost just twice to the Eels since the turn of the decade - and won eight of the past 10 matches. Canberra is also on a four game winning streak against Parramatta. At Canberra Stadium, the Raiders have won 17 of 21 matches. The Eels have not won in Canberra since 2006 - and only one match since 2001. The Raiders won the only contest in 2018, an 18-2 victory in the nation's capital.

2018 Round 6: Canberra Raiders V Parramatta Eels

Form: Raiders: LWLWW
Eels: LWWLW

The Eels opened the season with wins over the Panthers and Bulldogs, before falling to the Roosters in Round 3. Last week, the Eels produced an impressive 24-12 win in their final "home" match at Stadium Australia - before their move back to Parramatta and to the new Western Sydney Stadium.

Betting: Surprisingly, given the form of the Eels, the Raiders are firmly favoured in this match, paying $1.56; the Eels $2.40. The Eels have 5.5 points start in the line betting.

Stat attack: After four rounds, the Raiders are placed third and the Eels are placed fifth - but only on points differential. Both teams have posted a 3 and 1 start to the season. The Raiders have a 1-1 record at home, while the Eels have posted a 2-0 record away. The Eels have two wins against top eight opposition teams, the Raiders one.

The Eels have the better attacking record from the opening month of the competition, averaging 24.5 points (4.25 tries) per match, compared with 19.5 (3.25 tries) for the Raiders. However, the Eels have conceded an average of 18 points per game, while the Raiders have conceded just 11 points. Only the Storm and Wests Tigers have a better a better defensive record than the Raiders this year, and there's less than a handful of points in it between those teams.

The Raiders and Eels have an identical average completion rate (74 per cent), but the Eels are producing more errors (13-11 on average). Parramatta has been more disciplined than Canberra, conceding an average of just four penalties per match (Canberra seven). The Raiders are much more effectively controlling possession this season. They have averaged 54 per cent of the ball so far in 2019, the equal highest in the league with the Wests Tigers. The Eels aren't far behind on 52 per cent.

The Eels average slightly more runs (Eels 177, Raiders 171) and more running metres (1704-1518) than the Raiders. Both teams rank in the top four for post contact metres (Eels 487, Raiders 483 per match on average), while the Raiders make more tackle breaks (34 per match), ranking third in the NRL (Eel 28 per match). Canberra relies heavily on dummy half runs (77) ranking first in the competition (Eels just 27).

The Eels average more offloads (12-9) and one more line break (4-3) per match. The Raiders make slightly more kicking metres (562 per match, Eels 524) from around 20 kicks per game.

In defence, the Raiders have conceded just two tries per match, the Eels three. According to Fox Sports Lab, Canberra has also conceded the least running metres in the league (1206 per game) - but the Eels are top three in this department as well (1308 per game). The Raiders have missed an average of 29 tackles per game, the Eels 28 - and the Eels have the slightly better tackle efficiency rate. The Raiders have made the least ineffective tackles in the league (40, compared with 55 for the Eels).

Our tip: This time last year, the Eels were placed 16th on the competition ladder, the Raiders 15th. However, both teams have made a surprisingly good start to season 2019. The Eels lift in form has probably surprised the rugby league world more, given they finished with the wooden spoon in 2018.

Last week, the Eels produced their best performance so far this season, with five eighth Mitchell Moses, hooker Reed Mahoney and fullback Clint Gutherson all very strong in the "spine". Former Raiders Blake Ferguson and Junior Paulo are also in peak form. Ferguson leads the NRL for running metres, making 240 metres with the ball in hand against the Sharks. They have plenty of strike. The Raiders will need to bring their best defensive game on Sunday night if they are to nullify it. The Raiders must close down the danger men in the Eels' spine and cut down their time - so good line speed will be crucial.

It's also a "must" that the Raiders' mobile forward pack gets on top of their opposition, so as to create time and space for their own play makers - and the Raiders' own dangerous outside backs. Canberra's own strike players, Leilua, Rapana and Cotric showed last week that they are getting back close to their best.

The Raiders have been good at defending errors and penalties in 2019, but they will need to reduce their error count and discipline to beat the Eels. They won't be able to afford to turn over possession this week, like they did against the Cowboys in the second half.

It is going to be a great early test for both teams, with mouth watering match-ups across the field. Hodgson versus Mahoney. Raiders young gun Nicoll-Klokstad versus Gutherson. Cotric versus Ferguson. Rapana versus Eels rookie Sivo. Leilua versus Jennings. Papalii versus Paulo. It'll be close, but I'll go with the Raiders by six.

What they're saying:

Sia Soliola on meeting former Raider Junior Paulo: "Of course you want to get one over your mates and that will be fun, but the bigger picture is we have a job to do within our club. Junior probably won't be the main focal point of the week - it will be whatever it takes to get that win. He's slowly getting in the groove of things. Solid Junior, plays big minutes. Of course he's going to be a handful, we know that."

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Sam Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Dunamis Lui
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Siliva Havili
15. Hudson Young
16. Sia Soliola
17. Joe Tapine

18. Royce Hunt
19. Aidan Sezer

Injury/Suspension
Michael Oldfield (Groin) Round 6-7
Brad Abbey (Knee) Round 8-10

Parramatta Eels

1. Clint Gutherson (c)
2. Maika Sivo
3. Michael Jennings
4. Brad Takairangi
5. Blake Ferguson
6. Jaeman Salmon
7. Mitch Moses
8. Daniel Alvaro
9. Reed Mahoney
10. Junior Paulo
11. Shaun Lane
12. Marata Niukore
13. Tepai Moeroa

14. Peni Terepo
15. Tim Mannah
16. Kane Evans
17. Oregon Kaufusi

18. David Gower
20. Josh Hoffman

Officials:

Referees: Henry Perenara, Tim Roby
Sideline Officials: Drew Oultram, Nick Morel
Video Referees: Jared Maxwell, Bryan Norrie

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLRaidersEels

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2019 #FromAllAngles

Mounties NSW Cup team: Click here

Jersey Flegg team: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Re: 2019 Rd 5 V Eels: Game Day

Post by simo »

Cant believe its gameday already!
Dont delete this GE
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

56th min TRY!!!! Canberra Raiders Nick Cotric.

Raiders 20-12 kick to come
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Hasnt so iety made you change your forum name yet?
Dont delete this GE
Crusader
Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

yes
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I have no idea what's going on right now
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Another crap timeslot. Getting really sick of all the 5:30pm-6pm games. Makes it practically impossible to go to any and hard to watch with children.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Game day preview updated for squads and officials: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33320&p=1649513#p1649513
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Match preview updated for squad changes, weather, betting: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33320&p=1649513#p1649513
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

If we win our next 2 games, I will shout one GH member EDIT.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

I’m in LA, gotta be up at 1.30am Monday morning to watch it,a 2pm game would have been so much more manageable for me

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

Brewdle wrote: April 14, 2019, 4:16 am I’m in LA, gotta be up at 1.30am Monday morning to watch it,a 2pm game would have been so much more manageable for me

Enjoy the diversity.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

1992 wrote:
Brewdle wrote: April 14, 2019, 4:16 am I’m in LA, gotta be up at 1.30am Monday morning to watch it,a 2pm game would have been so much more manageable for me

Enjoy the diversity.
Cheers, our hotel is slap bang in the middle of ‘Boystown’ on Santa Monica Blvd, a lot of rainbows

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Ricky loves beating Parra. There seems like there is ill feeling towards the club . I expect the boys to be up for this
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

12hr 10mins to kick off..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Game day you EDITs!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I've got all these jobs to do and plenty of time to do them..

But I couldn't be bothered..

So I'll laze around for another 11+ hours and wait for the footy.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Two points will do thanks. Play ugly, defend poorly, be scrappy in attack just keep clocking up wins. Plenty of time to sort the rest before September, just keep the points coming.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Yep, I don't give a toss how ugly we gotta win today, as long as we come away with those two points. I got a good feeling about this. Let's get it done!
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Cracking day here - suns out, no wind, very pleasant. Hopefully it will drop 10 degrees and a cool southerly will blow up before kick off. Have those Parra lads missing the humidity of western Sydney and our pommy boys feeling right at home!
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!!! Go the Raiders
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Anyone notice how the Kaufusi clan always seem to carve us up? If its not Antonio, its Felise, if not him then Oregon will be the one to run all over us.... hope not.
Crusader
Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

there is always an opposition player that looks a billion dollars when they play against the Raiders, I call it the Benji effect, this weeks match up we have and I cant believe im saying this.....Micheal Jennings, just seems to always get a try against us, things seem a little different this time though, Raiders really play some good defensive footy, also Parra forums really have no confidence in Eels in this match, I mean I hope we smash em, the Takarangi (TUGKKKARUNNGGIIII) side is terrible in defence, hope we expose that.
AJL
Brett Mullins

Post by AJL »

Crusader wrote: April 14, 2019, 2:40 pm there is always an opposition player that looks a billion dollars when they play against the Raiders, I call it the Benji effect, this weeks match up we have and I cant believe im saying this.....Micheal Jennings, just seems to always get a try against us, things seem a little different this time though, Raiders really play some good defensive footy, also Parra forums really have no confidence in Eels in this match, I mean I hope we smash em, the Takarangi (TUGKKKARUNNGGIIII) side is terrible in defence, hope we expose that.
Ben Pomeroy was the worst for that. An utter hack as a player, always good for a try or two against us...
Canberra Raiders
Member No. 1130

Breeding Raiders members since 2010
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Michael Jennings off a slightly forward pass has been the go for a number of years.
Dimes
Peter Jackson

Post by Dimes »

If we keep stupid errors (like last week to let them back in) to a minimum I think we will win.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of tonight’s clash between the Canberra Raiders and the Parramatta Eels. The Raiders are 1-17:

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Sam Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Dunamis Lui
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Siliva Havili
15. Hudson Young
16. Sia Soliola
17. Joe Tapine

Parramatta Eels

1. Clint Gutherson (c)
2. Maika Sivo
3. Michael Jennings
4. Brad Takairangi
5. Blake Ferguson
6. Jaeman Salmon
7. Mitch Moses
8. Daniel Alvaro
9. Reed Mahoney
10. Junior Paulo
11. Shaun Lane
12. Marata Niukore
13. Tepai Moeroa

14. Peni Terepo
15. Tim Mannah
16. Kane Evans
18. David Gower
The Greenhouse score update service
Westsydneyraider
Alan Tongue

Post by Westsydneyraider »

I’m in a pub surrounded by parra fans...
CMON BOYS !!!
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Caarn the Raiders! Need to win this and then Bronco's next week before hitting the road with supreme confidence!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Crowd well spread out. Meninga stand has a lot of gaps between seats, but will probably fill up just before kickoff. Still a few people trying to get into the ground.

Not sure how we will perform tonight????
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

I honestly have never seen the side so focused and pumped before a game.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

BJ wrote: April 14, 2019, 6:00 pm Crowd well spread out. Meninga stand has a lot of gaps between seats, but will probably fill up just before kickoff. Still a few people trying to get into the ground.

Not sure how we will perform tonight????
I think we might put on a show tonight and get a few people talking about the raiders after this week
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Fergo having a spew in the wheeley bin before the game.
WorkChoice
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

LP Raider wrote:Fergo having a spew in the wheeley bin before the game.
Shouldn’t drink Vodka Cruisers so close to game time.
boydy80
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by boydy80 »

How goods Blake Furgerson spewing in the bin pre-game? 🤣🤣🤣
Long time creeper....... First time poster